Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-08-2013, 23:00   #1
larry_minn
Silver Membership

My name is Larry and I am a gouger (I guess)

I have heard it enough on TV. "The first step is to admit you have a problem." Then again I don't. (agree its the problem)
I sold a rifle "thru GT" for more then I paid for it. (20 yrs ago) I threw it in classifieds with price. Got a "I will take it" and then a couple more . (Which tells me I should have put a higher price on it) Thing is I didn't "Put a gun to anyones head" I put (what I guess was fair price as more then one wanted to pay it) The person sent $$ I sent gun, he said it was as advertised/happy. Everyone is happy.
But some think I should feel bad? Sold some other stuff I bought/never shot, some I did shoot for while. Put prices way above what I paid. Folks seem to want them.
Guess I am more a Capitalist more then communist.
larry_minn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 23:04   #2
ancient_serpent

Are you just looking for negative attention?
ancient_serpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 23:05   #3
Rick C
affiant

OP "Everyone is happy."

Last edited by Rick C; 02-08-2013 at 23:09..
Rick C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 23:50   #4

I sold a magazine that some one gave me for $45. I feel dirty.

Enjoy yourself. It's later than you think.
427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:15   #5
*ASH*

well atleast your not Bill and have mesotheisioma
Old 02-09-2013, 03:18   #6
G23Adam
.- -.. .- --

Quote:
Originally Posted by *ASH* View Post
well atleast your not Bill and have mesotheisioma
Or Bob with the other problem....

Sent via chisel and slate via Tapatalk 2
NRA Member - GSSF Member - .40 S&W Club #133 - 1911 Club #133 - Freemason's Lodge #133 - Black Rifle Club #1
Support your Local Grassroots!
G23Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:44   #7
Droid noob

Good for you.

I am guilty of holding the lgs's to a higher standard. I believe they should sell their products at reasonable prices before this panic hit. I can understand passing on rising distributors costs. I can't sympathize with them charging 100 percent higher than they were selling for, when their costs have not risen.

That being said, it's their right to do as they wish. We have a choice to buy from them or not. I personally have more respect for the shops that sell at their normal price and just limit the quantity. Seems to be working fine right now. There has been ammo and magazines in stock every time I've gone to my store.

22lr is the one caliber I can't find anywhere though.
Droid noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:44   #8
JMS

What about the lgs's that would previously buy up all the Walmart stock and resell it, is that something to be proud of?

JMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:03   #9
walt cowan

a guy offered me 4x what i paid for my m1a1. crazy!
Old 02-09-2013, 07:37   #10
itisbruno
CLM Number 103
Devious Member

You should repent for your sins by selling me a firearm for what you paid for it 20 years ago, and all will be good in the world, larry.

Click HERE
daily to give food for animals in a shelter or sanctuary...for FREE

Last edited by itisbruno; 02-09-2013 at 07:37..
itisbruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:37   #11
Atlas
transmogrifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS View Post
What about the lgs's that would previously buy up all the Walmart stock and resell it, is that something to be proud of?
Yes, it is.

Uncontrolled, unaccountable government spending + Graduated income-tax = SLAVERY
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:06   #12
MadeInAmerica

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt cowan View Post
a guy offered me 4x what i paid for my m1a1. crazy!

I hope you sold it.
MadeInAmerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:10   #13
DanaT
Pharaoh

You people are THIEVES profiting off the backs of hard working people who are not at fault for this shortage. You should be in jail!!
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:26   #14
Hailstorm
Boom Shacka

LOL. I am not selling a thing

Yes, people are complaining about others selling items for stupid prices. Market of supply and demand. I want a couple items. But at the moment I am holding strong and won't buy for more than what I think they are worth to me.

That may change in time. But, everyone must do that. Don't blame yourself for selling something close to the going rate.

I have seen prices drop. Slowly over time. Still high. But, they are coming down. I think once the income tax return bubble pops. Prices should be much better.

I can hope at least
Old 02-09-2013, 08:31   #15
paynter2
It ain't over

I'm also a gouger. Back when... I bought a G19 and 20 hi-caps. This was just before the last ban. It was being tossed around... IIRC I paid $16/mag. I sold 10 of them for $60/mag during the ban - free (nearly) G19 as I saw it.

So, I'm a gouger - a capitalist. I'm not that smart - if I had been I'd have bought 1000 hi-caps.

I wonder if the people who complain about gouging would sell their ARs, mags, and ammo for what they paid (for it/them)? Hmmm

Last edited by paynter2; 02-09-2013 at 08:33..
paynter2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:33   #16
ChallengerSRT

As far as people paying higher prices than they should be paying at places like GT, the saying, "there's an ass for every seat", comes to mind. If people are stupid enough to pay way more than something's worth and are HAPPY about it, just look at it as another Obama wealth redistribution plan in action.

Last edited by ChallengerSRT; 02-09-2013 at 08:38..
ChallengerSRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:45   #17
Z71bill

Look at it in terms of being - More or less Free.

If you are the type that says a person or business "shouldn't be able to raise prices because of a shortage" then you are also saying you hate freedom.

If the person that owns the property can not set the price - THEN WHO GETS TO SET THE PRICE?

Change it up and say out loud.

I don't think people should have the freedom to set the selling price they charge for the property they own - we should have a government controlled system of setting prices.

Would this be better?
Z71bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:43   #18
Droid noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z71bill View Post
Look at it in terms of being - More or less Free.

If you are the type that says a person or business "shouldn't be able to raise prices because of a shortage" then you are also saying you hate freedom.

If the person that owns the property can not set the price - THEN WHO GETS TO SET THE PRICE?

Change it up and say out loud.

I don't think people should have the freedom to set the selling price they charge for the property they own - we should have a government controlled system of setting prices.

Would this be better?
I think they "shouldn't" gouge the customer. It's bad business. I do believe they can and should be able to do what they want freely.

This is a ethics argument, not a constitutional one.

Maybe it's a double standard, but I don't think it's a problem for the end user to sell at whatever profit he can get. I have the problem with businesses jacking up prices when their cost is the same or considerably less than what their charging.
Droid noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:56   #19
Cybercowboy
Support the 2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droid noob View Post
I think they "shouldn't" gouge the customer. It's bad business. I do believe they can and should be able to do what they want freely.

This is a ethics argument, not a constitutional one.

Maybe it's a double standard, but I don't think it's a problem for the end user to sell at whatever profit he can get. I have the problem with businesses jacking up prices when their cost is the same or considerably less than what their charging.
IMO it's only an ethics issue if the good or service is one that is required for essential needs. Fuel, food, water, etc. A high-cap magazine or an AR-15 is not an essential need item. It is, in essence, a luxury good. I've had several offers over the years for my AR-15, all of them well above what I paid for it back 25 years ago. Since I want at least one AR-15 for my collection, I'm not likely to ever sell it. But if I did, you can bet that I would get a lot more than I paid for it, or I wouldn't bother selling it period.

Now if I wait around for the perfect maximum price for the AR-15, there's no telling if the bottom will fall out of the market before I can sell it. There's risk in holding on to a luxury item hoping the price will go up dramatically. However, when the price does go up dramatically and the owner of the item feels like selling the item, he is simply making a sale at current market prices.
Cybercowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:59   #20
Cybercowboy
Support the 2nd

And to further clarify, the government is notorious for distorting markets. However, with firearms, we don't have the luxury of having a non-distorted market for these luxury goods. The firearms market is what it is. Since the government has put so much FUD into the firearms market, one should use caution when entering into such a volatile market.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:24   #21
Carrys
Inquisitive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaT View Post
You people are THIEVES profiting off the backs of hard working people who are not at fault for this shortage. You should be in jail!!

Hmmmm....then I wonder what that makes the govt's head honchos, eh?

Men Seem To Think Their God Is Like Their Govt.......He Is Supposed To Give Them Things, Not Ask Anything Of them.
Carrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:38   #22
Booker

Here is a simple question for all you $$$ whizzes.

If I know that it's going to take several months for me to re-stock my store with inventory to sell, but I still have to pay Building rent, inventory, utilities, and payroll, then what price should I put on that AR15, magazine, or box of ammo.

If you can't answer this, then please STFU! Thank You!
Booker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:42   #23
Cybercowboy
Support the 2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booker View Post
Here is a simple question for all you $$$ whizzes.

If I know that it's going to take several months for me to re-stock my store with inventory to sell, but I still have to pay Building rent, inventory, utilities, and payroll, then what price should I put on that AR15, magazine, or box of ammo.

If you can't answer this, then please STFU! Thank You!
Well, why can't you just be more of a good samaritan and take out loans for those expenses so you can sell your reduced inventory at bargain-basement prices to those people who absolutely need an AR15 right now?

Old 02-09-2013, 10:42   #24
Z71bill

Why does what something cost - even 1 minute ago - have anything to do with what it is worth now?

Rarely will this be a question of ethics. I could maybe see if I needed a shot of something or I would die - and the doctor said - here is your choice - you only have a minute to decide.

Pay me $1,000,000 for it or die a slow painful death.

But

Is expecting me to sell my property for less than it is worth any different than me expecting you to pay more than it is worth?

I have an item I no longer want - I bought it for $750 and have not even taken it out of the box.

They are now in really short supply and some are being sold for $2,000 - no one has one for sale for less than $1,500.

So what is a "fair" price?

Last edited by Z71bill; 02-09-2013 at 10:46..
Z71bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:52   #25
Cclass
CLM Number 16
Charter Lifetime Member

AWB sunset in 2004. If you didn't buy what you wanted over the last 8 years who's fault is it that you're being "gouged" now?