Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-08-2013, 21:59   #1
jimkayak

Reloading for G27?

I am fairly new to Glock and recently bought the model 27 (40 cal) and have been very happy with it. I am also fairly new at reloading and after purchasing the Glock, I also purchased everything I needed to reload some rounds. As I was reading over everything, I ran across a warning on a piece of paper included with my Lee dies. The warning stated to not use hand loads in a Glock. This was a big surprise to me - and very disappointing. I was planning to reload using Unique power, with the starting load for 180 gr fmj. Does anyone have experience reloading for a G27 (although the warning was not specific to the G27). Should I forget about reloading for this pistol? Or is it ok, using lighter loads?

Thanks!

Jim
jimkayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 00:09   #2
Steel Head
Tactical Cat

I just started reloading 40s&w for my G23.
I have had good results with mild JHP and FMJ loads with a few different powders.
Brass comes out looking better with the mild loads I've tried too!
Old 02-09-2013, 06:08   #3
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkayak View Post
I am fairly new to Glock and recently bought the model 27 (40 cal) and have been very happy with it. I am also fairly new at reloading and after purchasing the Glock, I also purchased everything I needed to reload some rounds. As I was reading over everything, I ran across a warning on a piece of paper included with my Lee dies. The warning stated to not use hand loads in a Glock. This was a big surprise to me - and very disappointing. I was planning to reload using Unique power, with the starting load for 180 gr fmj. Does anyone have experience reloading for a G27 (although the warning was not specific to the G27). Should I forget about reloading for this pistol? Or is it ok, using lighter loads?

Thanks!

Jim
Load a 27 just like you do anything else.

Load 5 rounds of a "low" charge that is in your loading manual.. and if it cycles reliably, accurate, you're happy, etc.. then that's your load. If there's a problem, bump it up a notch, load 5-10 more, and repeat the process.

As for loading for the 27... it's fine. Main thing w/ reloading for Glocks, is if you're using lead bullets, you need to really pay attention to lead buildup on the barrel... but that doesn't sound like it's an issue for you..

Be safe

IGF
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"

Last edited by IndyGunFreak; 02-09-2013 at 06:24..
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:36   #4
sourdough44

Reloading for a Glock works just fine for many. With the 40 I would keep your loads reasonable with a 'medium' speed powder. You may have cycling issues at min charges.

I mostly use H Universal with the 40, Unique should work fine.
sourdough44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:45   #5
Smoker

Please reference some of the hundreds of threads already here on reloading for Glocks there is a bunch of them.
Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:24   #6
ColoCG

Most gun manufacturers do not recommend using reloads in their guns. It is a CYA thing written by their lawyers. You should have no problem if you use listed loads from reliable sources and use starting to midrange loads.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:19   #7
fredj338

As noted, the warning is CYA for GLock. Your GLock will happily run on any sane handload. Where guys get into trouble is trying to make the 40 a 10mm or the 10mm a 41mag, neither works very well that way. Also using the wrong powders to make 40 major is also responsible for many a Glock KB. Choose a good med burner like Unique, WSF, Univ, HS6 & stay with book loads, you should be fine.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 02-09-2013 at 12:21..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 14:12   #8
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
Where guys get into trouble is trying to make the 40 a 10mm

If I had more quote space... You'd win a spot with that one
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 20:05   #9
AZson

My G38 is why I started reloading and by the way, just use a good molly coated lead bullet and they will work just fine in your Glocks and yes do not go to max load from the beginning work you way up if you can.

Last edited by AZson; 02-09-2013 at 20:07..
AZson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 21:40   #10
jimkayak

Thanks a lot guys. I went ahead and finished my loads and shot them today with no problems. I stayed with the starting load amount and liked it. I may move up a little next time, but wanted to make sure of the situation first. I was confused by my Lee dies only mentioning Glock in their warning, but glad there are no apparent problems. Thanks again.
jimkayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 18:35   #11
Globetruck

Does "hand load" equate to hand poured lead bullets? If you reload with commercially manufactured FMJ bullets, is that really a "hand load?" I dunno... Thoughts?
Globetruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 22:26   #12
randyc74

I reload for my G23, G27, G30, and G34. I also use Lee dies in all of my reoading. As long as you keep your loads reasonable you will do fine. I use Berry's 180 gr. plated bullets over 4.6 gr. of Unique.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
randyc74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 22:57   #13
Colorado4Wheel

Remnants from internet myth started Decades ago. If you belief in Santa and Tooth Fairies you should probably not load for a Glock. Most of us gave up on these myths a long time ago.
Old 02-10-2013, 23:48   #14
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globetruck View Post
Does "hand load" equate to hand poured lead bullets? If you reload with commercially manufactured FMJ bullets, is that really a "hand load?" I dunno... Thoughts?
"Hand loads" are ammo loaded by oneself. They may be "reloads" with used brass or with all new components.

Some guys refer to "hand loads" when they are talking about meticulous loading of premium homemade ammo.

Really, though, it is usually a term interchangable with "reloads."
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 00:05   #15
Run&Shoot

I've reloaded for my .40 Glocks for 20 years. Good powders are in the range of AA5, Unique, Universal, Power Pistol.

Stay away from max SAAMI loads for extra measure of safety. Load plated or jacketed bullets for simplicity. However I have loaded and shot thousands of lead bullets through mine just fine.

The hardness of the lead bullet and the pressure it is shot with may or may not cause slipping on the hexagonal "rifling". This could lead to less accuracy and faster leading of the barrel. If you shoot lead bullets watch the accuracy and leading to see if your configuration causes it or not. If so, try a different bullet or less velocity/pressure. Always be sure to clean your barrel well after every couple of hundred rounds of lead just to be sure you avoid increased pressures from heavily leaded barrel.

Or, you can get an after market barrel with normal rifling and not be concerned with possible lead bullet issues. .
Run&Shoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:35   #16
ColoCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkayak View Post
Thanks a lot guys. I went ahead and finished my loads and shot them today with no problems. I stayed with the starting load amount and liked it. I may move up a little next time, but wanted to make sure of the situation first. I was confused by my Lee dies only mentioning Glock in their warning, but glad there are no apparent problems. Thanks again.
I just received a good example of gun manufacturers opinion on using reloads in their guns.

This email I received from Kahr Technical dept. about a question regarding whether the Kahr CM9 barrel which is standard rifling would work to use with cast bullets instead of their polygonal rifling barrel in their PM9 gun. The guns are the same size other than barrel rifling and minor cosmetic differences.

Good afternoon. We do not make or offer any barrels that can be used to shoot reloaded ammunition through our firearms. I apologize for any inconvenience.

Kahr Customer Service
508-795- 3919
www.kahr.com
www.tommygun.com

Last edited by ColoCG; 02-11-2013 at 09:39..
ColoCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:46   #17
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

All gun manuals will say not to use reloads. Think of how many boneheads who start reloading try to make a super awesome sniperaceninjawolf load (because Buffalo Bore can do it), jack up their gun and send it back to the manufacturer for "warranty" work. Frankly, I don't blame them.

If you're approaching your reloads with some common sense, there's no reason you can't make something safe, accurate and consistent.

Edited to add - didn't we used to call those "Monkey Magnums" here?

Where's Koski?

Last edited by Zombie Steve; 02-11-2013 at 09:47..
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reloading .40 s&w, warning