Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-17-2013, 17:52   #1
Chris in Idaho

IWB Back Pain: Try Hybrid or is G21 just too big?

Title pretty much says it. I recently bought my first Glock, a 21 which I plan to convert to 10mm. I ordered a Comp-Tac Infidel which I'm very impressed with, great quality! I've carried it for about a week now and it has started to hurt my back. Comp-Tac has a great return policy so I will probably return it.
My question is:
Would trying another holster like an M-Tac or Crossbreed work better? Or is the G21 just too big?
Who carries a G20 or G21?
Thanks,
Chris
Chris in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 18:09   #2
Scott30

I will ask first. Do you have a QUALITY gun belt? One that is stiff and made for thhe purpose. If not, then that is your first thing to get. It will help to distribute the eight better.

That being said, you might check out one of the hybrid holsters by crossbreed, theis, old faithful, tucker, white hat, etc. They distribute the weight over more area.

After that, then I would say the gun just might be too heavy for you to carry IWB.
Scott30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 19:19   #3
dosei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott30 View Post
I will ask first. Do you have a QUALITY gun belt?
BINGO!!!

For that much gun, a reinforced belt is a must. Not just a "stiff" belt, not just a "gun belt", but a reinforced gun belt.
"Know where the attack against you is likely to come, whether on the street or in court, and have a proven counter already in place" (Mas Ayoob)
dosei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 19:52   #4
Chris in Idaho

Thanks for the replies! Yeah it could be my belt, it's not a gun belt, it's a stiffish leather Carhart belt. I didn't consider that first because I didn't have any problem carrying with the $13 Glock Sports Combat OWB holster for the week previous, other than needing rediculously long shirts to conceal it. Once I started using the IWB I feel quite a bit of sideways pressure that didn't really bother me at first until my back started hurting. I have no experience with this at all, could you explain why a stiffer belt would help my back? Is it because I have to run this one too tight?
Thanks,
Chris
Old 02-17-2013, 20:09   #5
4Rules

The thing about the Infidel is that it's designed for 3:30. If you drive, you're driving with a big mass of kydex being pressed into your flank by your seat bolster.
Back pain? ...I wonder why.

Try AIWB.
4Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 20:28   #6
jack76590

You might consider suspenders. Either one that attaches to buttons on pants or Perry suspenders that attaches to belt.

Good belt at very nice price and fast turnaround.

http://www.jbgunbelts.com/index.html

Last edited by jack76590; 02-17-2013 at 20:31..
jack76590 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 20:34   #7
Chris in Idaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Rules View Post
The thing about the Infidel is that it's designed for 3:30. If you drive, you're driving with a big mass of kydex being pressed into your flank by your seat bolster.
Back pain? ...I wonder why.

Try [URL="http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=19981208&postcount=28"]AIWB[/URL].
So would a hybrid work better?
Old 02-17-2013, 20:38   #8
Scott30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris in Idaho View Post
I have no experience with this at all, could you explain why a stiffer belt would help my back? Is it because I have to run this one too tight?
Thanks,
Chris
A belt made to carry the weight of a gun will not sag, roll or flop. It's rigidness distributes the weight of the gun over a larger area. There are many good belt makers out there. Here a few to get you started. I personally own Beltman and Wilderness. Both have their place and I have no complaints. If I had to choose, then the Beltman wins hands down.

http://thebeltman.net/

http://www.thewilderness.com/index.p...309&parent=142

http://crossbreedholsters.com/GunBel...me,ProductName

http://oldfaithfulholsters.com/shop/gun-belt/

http://www.bullhidebelts.com/Gun-Belts_ep_111-1.html

Last edited by Scott30; 02-17-2013 at 21:13..
Scott30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 20:45   #9
bikinbill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott30 View Post
A belt made to carrythe weight of a gun will not sag, roll or flop. It's rigidness distributes the weight of the gun over a larger area. There are many good belt makers out there. Here a few to get you started. I personally own Beltman and Wilderness. Both have their place and I have no complaints.
If I had to choose, then the Beltman wins hands down.

http://thebeltman.net/

http://www.thewilderness.com/index.p...309&parent=142

http://crossbreedholsters.com/GunBel...me,ProductName

http://oldfaithfulholsters.com/shop/gun-belt/

http://www.bullhidebelts.com/Gun-Belts_ep_111-1.html
Add Mitch Rosen, check out his standard belts as well as his Express Line.
http://www.mitchrosen.com/index.html
bikinbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 20:58   #10
dosei

Quote:
Thanks for the replies! Yeah it could be my belt, it's not a gun belt, it's a stiffish leather Carhart belt. I didn't consider that first because I didn't have any problem carrying with the $13 Glock Sports Combat OWB holster for the week previous, other than needing rediculously long shirts to conceal it. Once I started using the IWB I feel quite a bit of sideways pressure that didn't really bother me at first until my back started hurting. I have no experience with this at all, could you explain why a stiffer belt would help my back? Is it because I have to run this one too tight?
Thanks,
Chris
Yes, too tight of a belt will cause back pain.

Also, did you get pants one size larger in the waist when you decided to try IWB? (If not, that may well be part of your problem as well.)
"Know where the attack against you is likely to come, whether on the street or in court, and have a proven counter already in place" (Mas Ayoob)
dosei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 21:25   #11
rilkil23

I have a Galco belt and a Tommy Theis holster, I'm having back pain carrying my G26 and have started carrying OWB. I've struggled with back issues before so I don't blame IWB but seem to need a break every now and then.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
rilkil23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 00:34   #12
HarleyGuy

A good gun belt and a good holster is a must but I was also going suggest wearing suspenders.

Carrying a full size gun all day long while working requires good equipment to make the experience as pleasant, and as comfortable as possible.

Some LEO's use a utility "harness" for all of the gear that they have to lug around all day.

A few weeks ago I started carrying my Kimber Ultra CDP II in a MS-VMII (IWB) in the 3:00 o'clock position and I think I may have internally bruised my hip bone.
I usually carry at the 3:30 o'clock position and I will continue to do that in the future.
HarleyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:53   #13
1canvas

I tried a real stiff belt with an insert and it was about as comfortable as a steel barrel band, I sold it. I have been real happy with the Wilderness 1.5 belt. I don't know why you would have to carry such a large, very bulk, heavy service size gun for ccw, but if you do it comes with a cost. thats why most don't.
Old 02-18-2013, 22:56   #14
FloorPoor

Get a G26 , a fully loaded 21 is a lot to pack around all day.
If you insist on a .45 or a 10mm, go with a 29 or 30. Concealment is what they're made for.

In an open carry holster, not so much, but concealed, a full size gun is a p.i.t.a......literally. I used to pack a 4" bbl S&W 686 concealed, but it was so heavy and uncomfortable I ended up not carrying much at all.
FloorPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 23:27   #15
Chris in Idaho

Yeah a smaller gun is an obvious answer, and I searched high and low for a 29 but out of six gun shops in the area (including cabelas) only two glocks to be found and no 10mms. I'm set on 10mm as I live in one of the few parts of the lower 48 that actually has canadian grey wolves, grizzly bears, mamma moose, mountain lions and tweakers all in the same area. This happens to be the same area where I collect firewood and hunt. I know out in the woods ccw isn't an issue but I would like to carry this pistol all the time. There isn't another for me to use.
Old 02-19-2013, 00:34   #16
Maine1

G-20, EDC everyday.

How is your back health?

Outside of a good holster, belt, clothing and placement, that is where i would look.

abdominal/ lower back strenght fixes alot of ailments. Not saying you need a chiseld 6 pack, just some good useful strength.

If you want to carry the full size, don't be talked out of it. It takes a little more effort at getting squared away initially, but THEN, you get to fight with a fullsize gun when the day comes to use it. I sold my G-30 10 or more years ago, and never looked back.
Maine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:25   #17
sns3guppy

I don't think the size of the firearm is your problem. Certainly you can reduce bulk with a smaller firearm, but it's very possible to conceal a fairly large firearm comfortably if it's done properly.

A good belt is a help, but it really depends on the kind of holster in use. Not all holsters hang from the belt and use the belt for support.

I use a wide, thin webbing belt. Narrow belts hurt my back. With a HK45C in a Comptac Minotaur. It sits about 3:30 to 4:00 in the waistband, and doesn't at all hang from the belt. My biggest problem has been finding hooks that don't slip off the belt. Loops are too bulky. The newer Comptac clips stay perfectly, and even if they're not engaged, the holster stays put in use, and in the draw.

The belt I use serves to help retain the holster in place, rather than support it or alter its position against my back or side. It just draws the holster in closer, which works great.

I've had other holsters squirt out before. Once I ended up on the ground and found the holster after, no longer on my person. I wasn't happy...that was a crossbreed, and the type of clip used didn't work at all. The holster didn't work for me. The minotaur works great, and after getting broken in is very comfortable.

You won't forget you're wearing it. But it will come to be very comfortable.
sns3guppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:54   #18
Jim S.

I carry a 21 all the time.
I use the Crossbreed Supertuck.
I hardly even notice that it is there.
I wear it at 3:00 strong side with a good forward cant to help hide that large frame grip.
As far as I am concerned the Supertuck is the holster for me.
Don't care if something else is close, or the same, or even better.
These have been proven perfect to me.
Old 02-19-2013, 20:16   #19
SCmasterblaster

The G21 IS a big gun. I carry a G17 quite comfortably.
Old 02-19-2013, 20:29   #20
Smooth_squeeze

Quote:
Yeah a smaller gun is an obvious answer, and I searched high and low for a 29 but out of six gun shops in the area (including cabelas) only two glocks to be found and no 10mms. I'm set on 10mm as I live in one of the few parts of the lower 48 that actually has canadian grey wolves, grizzly bears, mamma moose, mountain lions and tweakers all in the same area. This happens to be the same area where I collect firewood and hunt. I know out in the woods ccw isn't an issue but I would like to carry this pistol all the time. There isn't another for me to use.
Check Cabela's or call your local one and ask if they have a 10mm in one of their stores somewhere. Most likely they will. If another store has one, it can be transferred to your local store for $25, where you can pay for it or pick it up if you ordered it and paid for it from the other store. This was what a Cabela's clerk told me.

Good luck.
Smooth_squeeze is offline   Reply With Quote