Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-07-2013, 19:28   #1
GruGrux515

Ballistol Glock Cleaning Question

Alright brand new to Ballistol, just got the can in the mail today. Pretty new to overall cleaning as well.

Obviously spray down the bore and run some patches through it. What about the frame can you or should you spray that down or just spray a rag and wipe it down. Also do you need to use an oil or grease since it claims to be an all in 1?

Thanks fellas
GruGrux515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 19:29   #2
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruGrux515 View Post
Alright brand new to Ballistol, just got the can in the mail today. Pretty new to overall cleaning as well.

Obviously spray down the bore and run some patches through it. What about the frame can you or should you spray that down or just spray a rag and wipe it down. Also do you need to use an oil or grease since it claims to be an all in 1?

Thanks fellas
Spray a rag and wipe it down.
Old 02-07-2013, 19:43   #3
Cheeseburger1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruGrux515 View Post

Thanks fellas
Watch this
Cheeseburger1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 18:15   #4
robhic
Platinum Membership
WOLVERINE!!!!

Information supplied says metal, wood, plastic and rubber. You should be OK.

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
robhic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 18:52   #5
allegro

Hickok45 uses this stuff. He is a Glock fanatic so it must be okay

G23.3 Carry, G19.4, Advantage Arms .22 Conversion, Ruger P89, Ruger Security Six .357, M&P 15, Ithica Model 37, Winchester Model 24, Ruger 10/22
allegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 19:02   #6
MarcDW
MDW Guns

First, I love Ballistol. I use it now for 40 years.
However, it is not the best choice for cleaning.
Best result Ballistol gets with Mosquito bites!
In long term gun care it will do less good.
Specially when it is used for lubrication, Ballistol is not the best choice.
Don't spray it into the firearm, because it will mix with dust in the corners and harden up.
Ballistol will not loosen gun powder residue. It will only cover it and create a bigger problem for later.
Never less, I think everyone should have a bottle at home; just not for firearm cleaning!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
for current inventory
MarcDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 20:40   #7
pat701

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcDW View Post
First, I love Ballistol. I use it now for 40 years.
However, it is not the best choice for cleaning.
Best result Ballistol gets with Mosquito bites!
In long term gun care it will do less good.
Specially when it is used for lubrication, Ballistol is not the best choice.
Don't spray it into the firearm, because it will mix with dust in the corners and harden up.
Ballistol will not loosen gun powder residue. It will only cover it and create a bigger problem for later.
Never less, I think everyone should have a bottle at home; just not for firearm cleaning!
Heres a man that knows his stuff
pat701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 21:01   #8
SJ 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeseburger1976 View Post
This
I beg to differ with Marc DW,I have only been using Ballistol since 1984.
I shoot approximately 25 lbs. of black powder in muzzle loaders,C&B's and cartridge per year.

None of my guns suffer from any kind of corrosion,when I shoot a match in the rain the guns get liberally hosed down with it and then cleaned as I get to them. Ballistol makes shooting black powder easy,i wouldn't want to be without it.

It removes powder fouling well but is lousy as a copper fouling remover. What you will discover with repeated use fouling of any kind will clean up quicker and more easily,even lead.

Is it the best at every thing No,is it very good at many things yes. SJ 40

Last edited by SJ 40; 02-08-2013 at 21:04.. Reason: spelling
SJ 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 21:33   #9
rolltide_pisco
NRA Life Member

Love my Ballistol. Follow Hickok45' video above because my 2 glocks work fine with it.
Black Rifle Club #270
rolltide_pisco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 22:19   #10
Cybercowboy
Support the 2nd

I wipe down all my guns with a very light amount of Ballistol as the last step. Just a bit on a cotton rag.
Cybercowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 22:25   #11
uaengineer

I use it for many different things, but not really to clean. Good lube though.
uaengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:15   #12
The Gemini

I love Ballistol. Hate the smell, but love the product...

I am down to using two CLP's for all my guns - Ballistol for all my GLOCK's, Diamondback, and PPS; Gunzilla for everything else. Why? Hickok45. Plain and simple. For some reason, after I watched his YouTube video on Ballistol for GLOCK's, I felt like it would be a disservice NOT to use it on them. I'd already been using Gunzilla, and was very happy with it. Now, I've just gotten hooked on both of them and my cleaning routine. I've also found that the more I use each product exclusively on the same weapon, the better everything seems to work. Zero malfunctions related to dirty firearms since using these products, going on several years now.

Weird? Yes. But it is just gun cleaning, and they both seem to work great and be excellent products. It's also healthier using these CLP's then some of the other chemical gun cleaners/lubes on the market.

II

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Top Guns .357 Sig Club member #1971

It's definitely not "definately", and it definitely isn't "definitaly".
The Gemini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:41   #13
Fear Night
NRA Life Member

I disagree about Ballistol not being a good cleaner. The key is that you must let it sit for a minute or two. I apply it very liberally and after letting it work, it will clean just as good as any other solvent I have used.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
|
|
Fear Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:01   #14
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Good thread with an excellent diversity of opinion (None of it, 'wrong')!

I love Ballistol; and, as for the smell, well ....... I could wear it as aftershave! Someone should add to this thread that Ballistol works best if you let it sit in the barrel for, at least, several hours before cleaning; and letting it sit in the bore overnight would be even better.

Yes, it's true! Ballistol is NOT a good long term storage treatment. Personally, I wouldn't coat gun metal with it for more than 90 to 120 days before wiping the gun down a second time. It can, and does, become, 'gummy' after sitting on a gun for an extended period of time. (70% rubbing alcohol is a perfect solvent for Ballistol residue.)

Two of the very best chemicals you can put on any polymer frame are Ballistol; or just plain, common ordinary, pharmacy-grade mineral oil (A principal ingredient in Ballistol). I swear my Glock frames seem to rejuvenate themselves whenever I wipe them down with Ballistol. There's a pint can of Ballistol sitting on my desk, right now; and I've got another quart of it on the shelf in the my old reloading room.

Has anyone mentioned that, although it does darken many of the lighter colors, Ballistol does an excellent job of softening and preserving: gun leather, sheaths, belts, and boots too! Another outstanding quality that shouldn't be overlooked is Ballistol's remarkable ability to properly clean up after using either a black powder firearm, or corrosive primers!

Last edited by Arc Angel; 02-09-2013 at 08:19..
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:34   #15
voyager4520
-----

It's good for general cleaning but it's not the best thing for cleaning the bore. For the bore I use Hoppe's #9 bore solvent and a phosphor bronze bore brush, then follow up with the nylon bore brush and patches. Then I run clean dry patches to dry the bore, then a Ballistol soaked patch, then a clean dry patch to pick up the excess Ballistol to give the bore corrosion protection.

It's good for cleaning and wiping down the frame but it'll leave anything you wipe down with it feeling oily, I use Hoppe's Elite Gun Cleaner to clean the plastic parts including the frame.

You can lubricate with small drops of Ballistol the same as you would with any other gun oil, though I've never used the spray cans so that may not be as practical. I buy the 16oz liquid bottles and I fill up a small plastic bottle that used to have RemOil in it, it has a nice little pointed spout for precisely placing small drops of oil into the slide rails and the interface between connector and trigger bar. If you're using the Ballistol spray cans I would fold a patch and spray a generous amount on the patch so that it drips, and use that to place small drops of it into the lubrication points suggested by Glock.

Last edited by voyager4520; 02-09-2013 at 08:35..
voyager4520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:56   #16
The Retired Sarge
"The Sarge"

I used Ballistol for many years with good results. Switched to Weapon Shield in 2007 and now won't use any thing else. Bill
The Retired Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:08   #17
GicleeOne

I've not tried Ballistol.

Been using Breakfree CLP and nothing else for years. Very happy with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GicleeOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:18   #18
barth
six barrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Night View Post
I disagree about Ballistol not being a good cleaner. The key is that you must let it sit for a minute or two. I apply it very liberally and after letting it work, it will clean just as good as any other solvent I have used.

+1
It's non toxic and not a real aggressive cleaning agent.
But works fine if you give it a little time.

Ballistol is all I use on all my handguns.
Good Stuff.
barth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:54   #19
robhic
Platinum Membership
WOLVERINE!!!!

I definitely think letting it sit is the key. I used it on the cylinder of a SS Taurus .357 revolver. Sprayed some on the rings of carbon on front of the cylinder and let it sit about 1/2 hour. Went back, wiped it off and it did a pretty good job. At least as well as any other cleaner, if not better.

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
robhic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 18:48   #20
libarts.tech
Charles Wagoner

I don't really use Ballistol to clean my Glock, but rather to treat certain parts of it. Hickock45's video has already been linked to. In it, he explains that Ballistol has a kind of curing effect on the metal. I don't know if this means that it just leaves a slick coating on it, or if it actually gets into the pores of the metal and changes its properties over time. I suspect maybe a little of both, but I'm no metallurgist and neither is Hickock45.

Anyway, when I clean my Glock I soak the barrel and connector in a tub of the stuff while I clean everything else with brushes, q-tips, pipe cleaners, and alcohol where necessary. I then scrub the barrel and connector down with a brush and throw them back in to soak longer. When I'm finished, I pull them out and wipe them down as dry as I can get them and then reassemble the gun. Even when the parts are perfectly dry, the Ballistol treatment makes the parts slick and smooth, and they remain so even after a long shooting session. I also do something similar along the inside of the slide rails and inside the hole at the front of the slide through which the barrel sticks: I apply some Ballistol, let it sit a while, wipe it off, apply again, then wipe down one last time.

The result is that all the parts on my Glock that the manual says need to be lubed get treated with Ballistol and develop very slick surface properties.

I also use the same "treat with Ballistol" approach with my Ruger LCP, which is notorious for experiencing malfunctions in the absence of constant lubrication. The gun runs dry, but the same Ballistol treatments I described above keep it running smoothly and reliably.
libarts.tech is offline   Reply With Quote