Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 14:59   #261
golls17
Lifetime Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClydeG19 View Post
I can't agree that this is terrorism. It's threats, made to a specific group of people, some of which he made good on. There is no political, economic, or religious motivation behind his actions, just good, old fashioned revenge (albeit unjustified).

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
He's using violence and inducing fear to push his racism agenda. He's already got blood on his hands, and he's going to take out whoever he can. Just because it won't be officially declared terrorism doesn't mean it doesn't fit. It's one person changing the behavior of people in multiple states, and it's the fear that's sparking that change.

You don't have to use a bomb or rack up a body count in the hundreds to be a terrorist.
My comments are my own opinions and are not intended to be interpreted as the position of my department.

Last edited by golls17; 02-11-2013 at 15:00..
Old 02-11-2013, 15:05   #262
WarCry

Quote:
Originally Posted by golls17 View Post
He's using violence and inducing fear to push his racism agenda.
I disagree with this part. He's using race as an excuse to push a personal agenda. He's not pushing a racist agenda.

He's a spoiled rotten brat, frankly, and he's throwing a temper-tantrum because he didn't get his way. The only difference between him and a 4 year old in the candy aisle is a 4 year old can only stomp their feet and make some noise.

This guy is exceptionally dangerous, and I'm not implying he should be underestimated in any way. But as far as his motivation, it's no different than the 4 year old that didn't get the candy he wanted.
Old 02-11-2013, 15:07   #263
RyanBDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAcop View Post
I figured that is why they scaled back their search. No point in looking when you won't find him until the snow melts.
Cop Talk

Glock 26 w/CTC Lasergrips, and Trijicon Sights = Daily Carry
Old 02-11-2013, 16:03   #264
robrides85

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAcop View Post
The whole confusion of some over the whole lying is a career ender in LE makes me realize how different we are from our neighbors. For some lying is part of the job, sales, politics, etc. For us lying puts you on the Brady List of your DA. In CA they are starting to share Brady Lists among the DA offices. They are even starting to put non LE on Brady Lists. Although non LE Brady Listers are ususally only there because they lied under oath not because they told their boss they were sick when they weren't.
I'd read the below link recently; didn't know about the Brady List until you posted about it. Good to know, and happy to have that check/balance in place on police.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/03/op...oath.html?_r=0
Old 02-11-2013, 16:25   #265
Keeperofthedew

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal View Post
Has anyone posted this yet?
Fugitive alleged LAPD-killer is first drone target on U.S. soil
http://m.now.msn.com/christopher-dor...get-on-us-soil
Did you read it?
Typical media melodrama.
He is a target for drone surveillance; they're trying to find this POS, not vaporize via drone missile.
Old 02-11-2013, 16:33   #266
metal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeperofthedew View Post
Did you read it?
Typical media melodrama.
He is a target for drone surveillance; they're trying to find this POS, not vaporize via drone missile.
Damn, I was kinda hoping that was the case, oh well
Old 02-11-2013, 17:05   #267
Patchman
Florist

I have to ask... this Big Bear location LE is searching, is it the same Big Bear lake area that Jeff Cooper developed his modern pistol techniques?

http://www.gunsite.com/main/about/

In a gunfight, even if you do everything right, you can still get killed.
Old 02-11-2013, 17:18   #268
Marlowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchman View Post
I have to ask... this Big Bear location LE is searching, is it the same Big Bear lake area that Jeff Cooper developed his modern pistol techniques?

Yes, same area.
Old 02-11-2013, 17:43   #269
Marlowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
There is not one state or Fed agency to run the show?
No. It's a collaborative effort, with brass from all involved agencies present in a joint command center in the metro LA area.

Everybody will have a different piece of this.

Lots of moving parts, varied locations, wide span of geographical areas, and not just in CA.

This isn't the fire service, with a bunch of agencies under a single unified command fighting a wildfire.

As for the Feds, their role is to support and facilitate the effort...to include at the national level...setting leads to federal agencies across the country and even internationally, if need be.

Boiled down, Dorner is a murder suspect in flight to avoid prosecution. The murders occurred in two different counties, with different police departments and District Attorneys.

So, let's say the FBI were to locate and arrest Dorner in Nevada...he would be initially arrested for Unlawful Flight to Avoid Prosecution (UFAP), a federal charge. However, as soon as the local prosecutors are ready, the UFAP charge is typically dismissed and the local police eventually take him into custody and he is eventually charged with murder.

They will have to figure out where to prosecute him first: the double homicide in Orange County or the police murder in Riverside County? Both are Capitol crimes under CA law.

Complicated stuff. A lot of stakeholders and a lot of politics.

Last edited by Marlowe; 02-11-2013 at 17:45..
Old 02-11-2013, 17:51   #270
hd67xlch

I keep hearing on the news how this guy is mentally unstable, well thats obvious. But whats not obvious is how the LAPD and US Navy were not able to pick up on this during his time in both.
Old 02-11-2013, 17:53   #271
jdavionic
NRA Member

Assuming it was killer on the call, it appears he was alive on Thursday...unfortunately.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#axzz2Kaq3TBqB

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
Old 02-11-2013, 18:00   #272
RyanBDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd67xlch View Post
I keep hearing on the news how this guy is mentally unstable, well thats obvious. But whats not obvious is how the LAPD and US Navy were not able to pick up on this during his time in both.
The news. Ha, that's a good one.

Glock 26 w/CTC Lasergrips, and Trijicon Sights = Daily Carry
Old 02-11-2013, 18:24   #273
Detectorist

I hope he doesn't decide to do the car bomb thing. He sure has enough hate in him to.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place”. George Bernard Shaw
Old 02-11-2013, 18:34   #274
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchman View Post

There's a photo somewhere of "the guys" lined up. I'll try to find it.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921

Last edited by RussP; 02-11-2013 at 18:37..
Old 02-11-2013, 18:41   #275
txleapd
Hook 'Em Up

Quote:
I will assume that affirmative action had nothing to do with it.
1911 Club #75
Kahr Club #286
Lone Star Glockers #919

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud
Old 02-11-2013, 18:45   #276
RussP

Quote:
Latent Mental Illness finally triggered by certain events.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
Old 02-11-2013, 19:11   #277
CW Mock

Guys like this can pass for "normal" for quite a while until one day they don't get their way, and they snap.

I'm guessing this guy started to come un-spun, and then he was let go. Only the people close to him might have had a faint idea he was truly unstable. No telling how he got through the hiring process with the LAPD - I am not familiar with their hiring practices and backgrounds. I do know my agency looks pretty close at applicants, and we get an occasional "leaker" too.

Nothing is perfect, and "real" psychos can lay low and look normal for a really long time before blowing up.

I have heard rumors that this guy choked another recruit in the Academy. That makes me wonder why he was retained, but then again I don't know the details there either. All I can gather is from this manifesto, he's got some hurt feelings and figures cold blooded murder of random people will make it better.

Kind of like a demented four year old having a tantrum with access to an automatic rifle. Pretty spooky.

Last edited by CW Mock; 02-11-2013 at 19:12..
Old 02-11-2013, 19:15   #278
akapennypincher
Glock-O-Holic

Murder charge filed...

Dist. Atty. Paul Zellerbach said Dorner has been charged with one count of murder, with special circumstance allegations in the killing of a peace officer and the discharge of a firearm from a vehicle, in the death of Riverside police Officer Michael Crain, 34, a married father who served two tours in Kuwait as a rifleman in the U.S. Marines.
Old 02-11-2013, 19:20   #279
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post
There's a photo somewhere of "the guys" lined up. I'll try to find it.
I know the photo you're referring to.

In a gunfight, even if you do everything right, you can still get killed.
Old 02-11-2013, 19:21   #280
DustyJacket
Gold Membership
Directiv 10-289

Quote:
There were signs, assuming he is not lying in his rant.

He is violent in situations that don't call for violence:

(1) In first grade he kicked and punched another for calling him the N-word. And he continued the same violence through high school. Yeah, a physical reaction would be very understandable, but this shows a pattern.

(2) While in the academy, in a large van, 2 other officers (cadets?) were talking about (N-word)s. Dorner told them to stop, and they responded they would do it whenever they liked. (They apparently were not referring to Dorner.)

According to Dorner, he went over the front seat, and other officers, to grab the offending idiot by the throat, leading to what sounds like a mêlée in the van.
(He says he should have just shot him in the head.)

This second thing, if true, shows a worsening pattern of violence and the lack of self control, and maybe even the thoughts of committing murder.

Inappropriate behavior in that setting - there are others ways of dealing with it. Especially when still in the Academy.

At this point, assuming all is true, I would have dismissed Dorner from the Academy, and black-balled him from law enforcement. He did not have sufficient self-control to handle life as a street cop. (And taken serious action against the other two, up to dismissal, depending on what actually was being said.)

His actions now bear that opinion out.

Last edited by DustyJacket; 02-11-2013 at 19:24..

Closed Thread