Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-10-2013, 15:32   #1
slainer

SW 642 or 442?

I want to pocket carry with holster. For those that have either what would you suggest? Need some help and input on what has worked best for anyone out there! No LCP or P3AT either!
Revolver only!
Thx. Slainer
slainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 15:48   #2
jack76590

I have and like the FIST kydex pocket holsters for the Jframe centennial models. Are right and left hand specific. Natural to use for me and if you would draw holster with the gun the motion to remove holster is still the same - flick of your thumb. With the pocket holsters designed to catch on pocket you need a different motion if you draw holster with the gun. This can be confusing under stress. Link.

http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/k1/k5.htm
jack76590 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 15:54   #3
6StringGeek
full-time n00b

I had a 642 for awhile. Nice gun. Really snappy with +p. Easy to shoot, but not fun at the range...for me anyway. The finish holds up really well also. For a pocket holster I went with Robert Mika.

6StringGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 15:56   #4
xRUSTYx
9mm Fanboy

Was not a fan of S&W triggers. On the other hand, I loved the LCR trigger and that's what I went with it's my only wheel gun but I do like it

Go get a feel for both at your LGS and decide from there

Sent at lightning speed from my unholstered iPhone5
xRUSTYx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 16:09   #5
fla2760

I have both and the 442 started to rust on the cylinder several days after I started pocket carrying it. The 642 has been my pocket carry ever since and is rust free.
Old 02-10-2013, 16:17   #6
slainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xRUSTYx View Post
Was not a fan of S&W triggers. On the other hand, I loved the LCR trigger and that's what I went with it's my only wheel gun but I do like it

Go get a feel for both at your LGS and decide from there

Sent at lightning speed from my unholstered iPhone5
I really like the LCR trigger but a little bulky for pocket? How do you carry your LCR?
thx. Slainer
slainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 17:59   #7
collim1
Shower Time!

I have a 442. I prefer black guns and back several years when I bought this one there was a lot talk of issues with the clear coat on the 642. Probably been fixed by now, haven't heard much talk about in several years.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 18:24   #8
Kentucky Shooter
NRA Life Member

I have a 642 and like it. I also think I would be just as happy with the 442--- i would probably base my decision on availability and pricing
Old 02-10-2013, 18:33   #9
Gregg702
Gold Membership

I have a 642, but it has been pretty much retired in favor of my 638CT. I like having a hammer available, but want it shrouded.

Rimfire Club Member #702

Black Rifle Club Member #702
Gregg702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 18:39   #10
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

I like the 642. My wife has one, My neighbors wife carries one, my oldest daughter carries one and my youngest daughter carries the stainless Charter Arms Lefty J frame (obviously because she is left handed, it too is a great gun).

I rapid fired 5 rounds in my wife's and it peeled the skin back in a strip, on the web between my thumb and index finger.

it's still a great carry with a punch.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 19:34   #12
mattallamerican

you cant beat a j frame smith i have two a 642 and 337ti
mattallamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 20:21   #13
jdeere_man
CLM Number 26
Charter Lifetime Member

I prefer the 442 because I like black guns. You will get some edge/high point wear on the black finish.

You will probably find the 642 on the shelves more often than the 442 though. Obviously they are the same gun other than the finish.

I had a 642 for a while. I went to buy a 442, which they had, but in inspecting it the cylinder had a serious problem where it wouldn't turn. Since I was there I took a 642 instead. Eventually I ended up selling it and buying a 340PD which I wanted more. The 340PD is the same size, but it is chambered for 357mag (probably overkill) and even lighter. It also has a pinned front sight so you can change that out. I put a XS Big dot on it.

The 442 or 642 make a fine gun. I like the 638 too if you want the ability to do single action shots.

For a pocket holster I just use a desantis nemesis holster. Works great and is cheap. It works good in the pockets of 5.11 pants or my carhartt carpenter style jeans with the angle pockets. It also works good in coveralls in the winter. It won't work good in any jeans with the more traditional front style pocket though (designer jeans).

My J-frame is also my ankle gun when I need to go that route. I use the Galco ankle glove.
Old 02-10-2013, 20:29   #14
ViennaGambit

Went through THREE 642s - kept buying them back and coming to the same conclusions:

1) They are really not that much lighter or easier to conceal than my G26.
2) They have 1/2 the capacity and a weaker round than my G26.
3) Reloads are not even in the same universe as my G26 and I love carrying a G17 mag.
4) I am much less accurate with it than my G26.
5) I had my 642 bind up once - some crap got caught under the ejector star between reloads and the cylinder would not lock in - I honestly feel that my G26 is more reliable.

The only pro that I really liked is the ability to carry it in my jacket pocket and get a grip on it while inside.

I won't be getting another 642.
Old 02-10-2013, 20:49   #15
jdeere_man
CLM Number 26
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViennaGambit View Post
Went through THREE 642s - kept buying them back and coming to the same conclusions:

1) They are really not that much lighter or easier to conceal than my G26.
2) They have 1/2 the capacity and a weaker round than my G26.
3) Reloads are not even in the same universe as my G26 and I love carrying a G17 mag.
4) I am much less accurate with it than my G26.
5) I had my 642 bind up once - some crap got caught under the ejector star between reloads and the cylinder would not lock in - I honestly feel that my G26 is more reliable.

The only pro that I really liked is the ability to carry it in my jacket pocket and get a grip on it while inside.

I won't be getting another 642.
I agree with that to some extent, but in my experience there is a lot of difference in the G26 and J-frame when it comes to pocket carry or ankle carry.

The G26 is a brick on my ankle or in my pocket.

Is the the G26 a superior weapon? I think it is and that's why it's my first choice. For me though there are times when I need or am willing to sacrifice some advantage and carry the j-frame.
Old 02-10-2013, 21:01   #16
CanMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Rules View Post
The KRAMER Pocket Holster does all the things you expect a good pocket holster to do. It ensures the gun will stay in the same place inside your pocket, stops the front sight from wearing a hole in your pocket, prevents the flutes on a revolver's cylinder from cutting painfully into your body, ensures the gun will not be wrapped in a wad of pocket material when you go to grab it to defend your life. AND it also disquises the shape of the gun as seen through the pocket.The body out side of the holster is covered with a piece of plastic laminate that breaks up the outline of the gun, so the tell-tale bulge inside your pocket looks like a wallet. The side of the holster pressing against your body is smooth, comfortable, precisely molded horsehide.

General Firearms Forum

(A Left-hand model is shown in the above photograph.)
I usually carry IWB with a Kramer holster.... might just have to give one of these a try for J Frame pocket carry. Kramers' a little high on pricing but I've never had a problem or complaint about his products. I've got a S&W Shield inbound, so it looks like I'll be ordering another IWB rig from Greg.
S&W Club #43
CanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 21:30   #17
ViennaGambit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdeere_man View Post
I agree with that to some extent, but in my experience there is a lot of difference in the G26 and J-frame when it comes to pocket carry or ankle carry. All other times I went for the G26 (or G17 or G30) instead of 642.

The G26 is a brick on my ankle or in my pocket.

Is the the G26 a superior weapon? I think it is and that's why it's my first choice. For me though there are times when I need or am willing to sacrifice some advantage and carry the j-frame.
See, I had to jump down to an LCP for those times as I could always conceal my G26 as easily as my 642 - so the 642 wound up being redundant as the LCP filled the "go anywhere gun" in a much better way.

I have since sold my LCP as the .380 never inspired enough confidence and now I just always make my G26 work.

I did love the ability to carry my 642 in my boot however...

I do see the awesomeness that is the 642 as a BUG and last ditch "contact" fire weapon, and if I carried a BUG on a vest or ankle the 642 would be it, but as a primary it just isnt MY cup of tea... I have no doubt it is perfection for other people, however.

Its all about what works for you.

As far as 642 vs. 442 - I chose the 642 as I am a HEAVY sweater and I preferred to have the stainless barrel of the 642 over the carbon 442 to stand up to condensation while in pocket.

Last edited by ViennaGambit; 02-10-2013 at 21:33..
ViennaGambit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 23:22   #18
jdeere_man
CLM Number 26
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViennaGambit View Post
See, I had to jump down to an LCP for those times as I could always conceal my G26 as easily as my 642 - so the 642 wound up being redundant as the LCP filled the "go anywhere gun" in a much better way.

I have since sold my LCP as the .380 never inspired enough confidence and now I just always make my G26 work.

I did love the ability to carry my 642 in my boot however...

I do see the awesomeness that is the 642 as a BUG and last ditch "contact" fire weapon, and if I carried a BUG on a vest or ankle the 642 would be it, but as a primary it just isnt MY cup of tea... I have no doubt it is perfection for other people, however.

Its all about what works for you.

As far as 642 vs. 442 - I chose the 642 as I am a HEAVY sweater and I preferred to have the stainless barrel of the 642 over the carbon 442 to stand up to condensation while in pocket.
Ironic because I also bought a LCP because I thought it would be enough smaller than the j-frame to justify owning. I am in the process of selling it because i hardly ever used it. For me it wasn't enough different and i had more faith in the revolver than the mini-semi auto 380. In the meantime i also picked up a Kahr pm9 so we'll see how that falls into the fold. I know it won't replace the g26, but it might replace or subsidize the role of the Jframe
Old 02-13-2013, 08:58   #19
Chup

No mater what I carry or shoot at the Range, the 442 is my favorite. It just looks "COOL".
Chup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:19   #20
HKLovingIT
Resident Evil

I have a 442. I think a little extra care to wipe it down good after carrying is in order versus the 642.

Other than that I don't have any complaints once it came back from Smith. They replaced the barrel, cylinder and crane. I guess I got a Monday morning or Friday afternoon one.

I put Crimson Trace grips on it. To me they are a definite improvement on a little revolver like this.

On the occasions that I carry it I most often use a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster.

I think revolvers are cool and a lot of fun to shoot but honestly it's just as easy to carry my Kahr PM9 or G26 99% of the time. If you want a revolver for the virtues of having a revolver, a 442 or 642 is a great little gun for what it is.

кто пукнул здесь?
Nescio, sed foetet.
HKLovingIT is offline   Reply With Quote