Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:31   #1
Honor Bound

Compensated Glocks

I've owned quite a few Glocks but never any compensated models.

I'm more of a believer in the primary use of my guns is for self defense. If the same gun is well suited for competition, then that's a bonus.

So a friend just bought his first semi-auto handgun. In our new world of limited availability, he ended up with a G21C. He plans to use it for home defense.

I understand the theory behind the ports in the barrel and the slide that release gas to counter act the muzzle flip caused by recoil.

The consequence of this, seems to me, would have two negative effects in a self defense scenario, 1- the vertical flash between your eyes and your target, and 2- the reduced pressure in the barrel, which would yield slower bullet velocities.

I would love to hear some comments from those with experience with compensated Glocks.

How effective is the "compensation" in regards to felt recoil?

How much is the shooters ability to stay on target affected, especially at night, by the vertical flash?

How are the bullet velocities affected?

And the money question...

Can my friend buy a normal, non compensated barrel, drop it in and his gun will shoot like a normal G21?

Please feel free to comment on anything else that I may be missing in this discussion.

Thanks for your input.

HB

Last edited by Honor Bound; 02-07-2013 at 11:19..
Honor Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 15:45   #2
JakeFromStateFarm
.40 S&W🍫

I don't think the vertical flash is as bad as it is interpreted. Not saying it's not ther. But ther was a guy here on GT that posted a video on a G20C and even he says the vertical flash isn't as big of an isuue as alot of people think. As for bullet velocity sure sombody else can give you further Info on that than me.
Old 02-07-2013, 16:22   #3
GRT45
Transform & Win

Mas Ayoob was asked for his advice on the use of ported guns in self-defense situations:

Quote:
Mas Ayoob: "Ported barrels should be used only when firing with the gun extended to arm's length. Hot gases and unburnt powder particles jet violently upward from the ports, to perform the porting's function of holding the muzzle down. This means that you want to DELETE "shooting from the hip" and "protected gun positions" from your portfolio of shooting techniques when using these. Gas and debris is directed right up toward the shooter's eyes and can cause very serious eye damage."

Ref. http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1390333
So basically, you have fewer shooting position options, or at least greater risk of injuring yourself, in a scenario where the assailant attacks from very close range.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
: Strictly monogamous, I have one Glock and one woman.
GLOCK Certified Armorer,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Member,
Endowment Member, Eagle Scout

Last edited by GRT45; 02-07-2013 at 17:58..
GRT45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 17:41   #4
Bruce M

Several people have posted here of having good results shooting a ported or compensated pistol from a retention position without problems. They are far more hardy than am I.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 17:51   #5
mxr300ex

Yes, you can drop a standard barrel and it's basically a G21.
mxr300ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 18:13   #6
barth
six barrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M View Post
Several people have posted here of having good results shooting a ported or compensated pistol from a retention position without problems. They are far more hardy than am I.
I'm not recommending it for everyone.
But there are techniques for Close Quarters Combat with a ported pistol. Depending on the design you cant the ports away from the body.
Naturally, powder burns are still a possibility.
General GlockingGeneral Glocking

Last edited by barth; 02-07-2013 at 18:29..
barth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 18:17   #7
SCmasterblaster

This thread reminded me to re-install my ported barrel back into my G17!