Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 21:36   #61
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 93,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post


The Kool Aid flows both ways here I see.


Did you even read the responses in this thread?

I'm not talking about the 1911. I'm talking about JMB's contribution to the firearms world compared to GG's.

By your idiotic response, are you saying Gaston is comparable? Come on, give me some examples. Back up your words for a change.

LEARN something about the history of firearms and you'll see that Kool-Aid is not required.
__________________
.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 21:43   #62
countrygun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 17,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post


The Kool Aid flows both ways here I see.
You have got to be kidding.

Start reading the history of each firearm that Browning designed. get in to the details and the concepts.. If that doesn't educate you it will at least keep you busy for a long time.

While you re at it try to come up with someone who was more prolific and created more successful separate designs.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 21:47   #63
Ruggles
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tejas
Posts: 9,753
All I am saying is that if the Death Star had a few M2s in that trench Luke would have been dead within 1 minute.

And you know Yoda was packin a 1911 under that robe.

Don't think GG design would ever change the fate of a galaxy far far away.......
Ruggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 22:02   #64
G26S239
NRA Patron
 
G26S239's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: PRK
Posts: 10,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post


The Kool Aid flows both ways here I see.
Nope. John Browning clearly came up with more original concepts in his designs.

Gaston Glock did put together a good reliable firearm using previously developed concepts and technologies.
Was the Glock 17 the
1. First pistol using the Browning short recoil locking system? Nope.
2. First polymer framed pistol? Nope.
3. First high quality striker fired pistol? Nope.
4. First use of ferric nitrocarurizing? Nope.

The Browning short recoil locking system that Glock used on the 17 was John Browning's baby.

What mechanical concepts did Glock come up with that can compete with JMB Tiro?
__________________
Glock 17, 19, 21, 26 X 2, 32 and 36.
Proud member of the PigPen. Embrace the Pignose.
G26S239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 22:08   #65
427
 
427's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: KUMSC
Posts: 7,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post


The Kool Aid flows both ways here I see.
Please explain how the Glock pistol would exist if it didn't use Browning's modified locking system.
__________________
Death twitches my ear. "Live," he says, "I am coming."
Virgil, Minor Poems

Enjoy yourself. It's later than you think.
427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 22:15   #66
Steel Head
Tactical Cat
 
Steel Head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: A cat box in WA
Posts: 5,304
__________________
Sent from a Deere 544G or a Cat D3B or a Case 580SK or a Komatsu PC28 or PC220LC, or down in a hole with a worn down shovel, or sky high from sniffin PVC glue or the cat box.
Steel Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 22:18   #67
Ruggles
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tejas
Posts: 9,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by G26S239 View Post
Nope. John Browning clearly came up with more original concepts in his designs.

Gaston Glock did put together a good reliable firearm using previously developed concepts and technologies.
Was the Glock 17 the
1. First pistol using the Browning short recoil locking system? Nope.
2. First polymer framed pistol? Nope.
3. First high quality striker fired pistol? Nope.
4. First use of ferric nitrocarurizing? Nope.

The Browning short recoil locking system that Glock used on the 17 was John Browning's baby.

What mechanical concepts did Glock come up with that can compete with JMB Tiro?
Discovery Channel kinda of guy huh?



Am I the only one who had to look that one up?

Last edited by Ruggles; 02-07-2013 at 22:19..
Ruggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 22:36   #68
mongo356
Senior Member
 
mongo356's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: IL
Posts: 890
Glock made a (one) design that was very successful. Requires very few parts that can be transferred to other firearms. I guess if anything he did one thing very well and made a fortune.

Browning- (Disclaimer) I am not a gun smith nor do I read every manual that Browning ever produced, but of the guns I have looked at they had several tiny small easy to lose or damage springs and levers inside.

Of the 1911's in particular (I know it's not his only gun design- I guess if he was so great there wouldn't have been a need for 1,600 other Browning designs ) how many of those small parts and springs will the gun function without if a breakage occurs? I know for a fact Glock will run without a few small parts.

Which is better? Depends on what angle you are looking from -nice pocket watch or sun dial.

Genius design with several small "must be matched" to the gun parts or 33 can of which most can be taken from other guns dropped in and will work all without the aid of special tools or gunsmiths.

Butt hurt disclaimer- I think both men are very good in their own respect, Browning made some great guns without computer aid or complex machinery, but probably couldn't make a curtain rod or shovel worth having.
mongo356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 22:40   #69
Ruggles
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tejas
Posts: 9,753
"(I know it's not his only gun design- I guess if he was so great there wouldn't have been a need for 1,600 other Browning designs )"

Not sure what that means....can you please explain?
Ruggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 22:43   #70
mongo356
Senior Member
 
mongo356's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: IL
Posts: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
"(I know it's not his only gun design- I guess if he was so great there wouldn't have been a need for 1,600 other Browning designs )"

Not sure what that means....can you please explain?
Attempt at sarcasm I know JMB had several designs, however I do not have an exact count- no idea.
mongo356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 22:49   #71
countrygun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 17,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
"(I know it's not his only gun design- I guess if he was so great there wouldn't have been a need for 1,600 other Browning designs )"

Not sure what that means....can you please explain?
What that means is the poster thinks that Glock lever action and single shot rifles, his machine guns both heavy and squad, his semi auto rifles, centrfire and rimfire, and his shotguns are as good as John Browning's

uh, just one problem
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 22:53   #72
mongo356
Senior Member
 
mongo356's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: IL
Posts: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
uh, just one problem
That one problem is that Glock didn't waste his time on a 1-of-a-kind single shot or lever action??

Last edited by mongo356; 02-07-2013 at 22:54..
mongo356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 22:58   #73
method
Senior Member
 
method's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 6,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock Perfection View Post
Interesting side note on Gaston Glock; It is said that he test fired his G1, G2, G3 etc etc, with his left hand in case of catastrophic failure.
Even a curtain rod maker with a chip on his shoulder should have been able to figure out a remote firing system. But so goes the tale...
The G17 pistol was so named for being Glock's 17th patent, not because it was the 17th iteration of the pistol design.
method is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 23:00   #74
countrygun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 17,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongo356 View Post
That one problem is that Glock didn't waste his time on a 1-of-a-kind single shot or lever action??
Do they let you cross the street by yourself?

Yah that darned Browning he should have been designing polymer pistols in 1880 if he was so good
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 23:01   #75
vikingsoftpaw
Senior Member
 
vikingsoftpaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Willoughby, Ohio USA
Posts: 5,796
If the man really wanted to impress me, he'd invent a Glock Carbine.
__________________
G - Guns, PG - Plenty of Guns, PG-13 - More than 13 Guns.

"Though defensive violence will always be 'a sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." - St. Augustine
vikingsoftpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 23:04   #76
mongo356
Senior Member
 
mongo356's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: IL
Posts: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
Do they let you cross the street by yourself?

Yah that darned Browning he should have been designing polymer pistols in 1880 if he was so good
According to some he did......................He was that good.
mongo356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 23:10   #77
427
 
427's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: KUMSC
Posts: 7,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongo356 View Post
Glock made a (one) design that was very successful. Requires very few parts that can be transferred to other firearms. I guess if anything he did one thing very well and made a fortune.
Glock took Browning's locking system and designed around it. A Glock pistol, is, at it's core, a Browning design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongo356 View Post
Browning- (Disclaimer) I am not a gun smith nor do I read every manual that Browning ever produced, but of the guns I have looked at they had several tiny small easy to lose or damage springs and levers inside.
Every pistol has small easy to lose parts - even Glocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongo356 View Post
Of the 1911's in particular (I know it's not his only gun design- I guess if he was so great there wouldn't have been a need for 1,600 other Browning designs )
So, M2 Heavy MGs for example, aren't needed, right? Even though it's a 1918 design that's still being used, that's saying something, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongo356 View Post
how many of those small parts and springs will the gun function without if a breakage occurs? I know for a fact Glock will run without a few small parts.
Which parts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongo356 View Post
Which is better? Depends on what angle you are looking from -nice pocket watch or sun dial.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mongo356 View Post
Genius design with several small "must be matched" to the gun parts or 33 can of which most can be taken from other guns dropped in and will work all without the aid of special tools or gunsmiths.
Glocks are variation of a Browning locking system refined to fewer parts.

You do know that Military 1911's/Hi Powers used parts from a parts bin that weren't matched, right? You know that they were just put together, function tested and then issued, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongo356 View Post
Butt hurt disclaimer- I think both men are very good in their own respect, Browning made some great guns without computer aid or complex machinery, but probably couldn't make a curtain rod or shovel worth having.
__________________
Death twitches my ear. "Live," he says, "I am coming."
Virgil, Minor Poems

Enjoy yourself. It's later than you think.
427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 23:15   #78
Stock Perfection
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by method View Post
The G17 pistol was so named for being Glock's 17th patent, not because it was the 17th iteration of the pistol design.
You are correct sir.
Stock Perfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 23:17   #79
mongo356
Senior Member
 
mongo356's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: IL
Posts: 890
I see I may have hurt some feelings.

This is really pointless maybe we should agree my kool-aid is just different brand than yours.

Go team JMB, I have now been enlightened.
mongo356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 23:35   #80
DAIadvisor
Senior Member
 
DAIadvisor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kettering, OH
Posts: 2,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanBDawg View Post
....I would say Gaston's most important contribution has been in materials which pistols (now) are made out of, and precision manufacturing.
Actually Hk was the first to introduce polymer framed guns, NOT Glock. Glock just made it popular.
DAIadvisor is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:48.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 735
177 Members
558 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31