Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-18-2013, 13:50   #1
cajun_chooter

Your opinion of buying a used gun

Just wondering whats your opinion about buying a used pistol from a gun dealer..

Mainly... Is it normal to ask for a "return clause" if the gun is not as described or in good working condition...

Tia
cajun_chooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 13:55   #2
OhioGlock90

The first gun I ever bought was used...... It instantly did work right, had major feeding issues. I kinda got screwed on that deal but it wasn't an expensive rifle and I learned a lesson. That being always do your home work and know what to look at on the gun before hand!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Winchester Model 1897
OhioGlock90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 13:56   #3
X-Centric

Most everyone I've asked including gun dealers agree that at least 15% of used guns are defective in one way or another. So many people have problems and instead of fixing them, they sell or trade them in. A good gun dealer will stand behind their sale if you have problems. I would prefer to buy a used gun from someone I know.

If you don't believe in God believe in Karma!

You can call me Al.
X-Centric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 14:11   #4
dajcarroll

Gun dealer as in a gun shop or a gun show... or just some random guy who sells guns calling himself a "gun dealer"? Of the 11 guns I own, 4 have been new purchases, and 7 have been used. You need to properly inspect the gun. Check it for wear, check the barrel, check the internal parts. If its a semi-auto check the inside of the slide. If its a revolver check the spin of the cylinder, and if the cylinder seats properly each time you pull back the hammer. Do so for each chamber. Check for rust. Ask to shoot the gun first if possible. If you buy from a private party chances are returning the gun will not be possible. If I sold a gun to someone I would not give them a warranty. A deal is a deal. Also, if you buy from a gun shop all sales are usually final. You can ask, but your chances of returning a used firearm for a refund are slim to none. Rule of thumb, check and re-check the firearm. Know what to look for, and know what you are buying before you buy it.

dajcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 14:11   #5
bac1023

75% of the guns I own were bought used.

1911 Buyer's Guide
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 14:16   #6
X-Centric

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajcarroll View Post
Gun dealer as in a gun shop or a gun show... or just some random guy who sells guns calling himself a "gun dealer"? ]
Gun show and gun store. I attributed it to they want you to buy a new gun as well as the 15% rule. Normally used guns from them are bought "as is".

You can call me Al.
Old 04-18-2013, 14:23   #7
dajcarroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Centric View Post
Gun show and gun store. I attributed it to they want you to buy a new gun as well as the 15% rule. Normally used guns from them are bought "as is".
My comment was to the OP.

Old 04-18-2013, 14:28   #8
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

If I found a used gun I liked and wanted, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase it.

If it is a major manufacturer, they can make it perform as original.

I did buy a used pistol once and found the accuracy lacking. I sent it back to the manufacturer. They returned to me a tack driver that was every bit as good as the very best pistols I have shot. They replaced and refitted the barrel to superior standards, and said it was covered by their warranty, there was no charge.

No problems buying used for me.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 15:31   #9
deputy tom

I've been pretty lucky buying used guns. A few times I got stuck with a bad one but a very low percentage, and of those the price to repair them was ok. I've had a few bad new gun purchases as well. The older and wiser I get I rarely get stung. Good luck. tom.

SPES MEA IN DEO EST

Thig crioch air an t-saoghal ach mairidh gaol agus cel The world will come to an end but music and love will endure
deputy tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 15:47   #10
Highspeedlane
NRA Life Member

Over the years I've bought more than a few used guns and whether just lucky, ended up getting great functioning guns the majority of the time.

I've actually had more trouble with new guns than used, one being a S&W Thunder Ranch that would not reliably ignite primers when trigger cocking and a S&W M60 that was out of time, went back to S&W and is still out of time as we speak, serving as a paperweight in my safe.

Knowing what to look for when buying a used piece and checking for the more common problems they might have can help you when evaluating a prospective purchase.
Old 04-18-2013, 15:50   #11
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Of course one should know what the policy is for used gun purchase/warranty from a shop.

I usually avoid buying used guns from shops that sell "as-is". I've bought many a good used guns from the better shops and they warrantied the guns. I only had to return one and it was no big deal with the owner. No grief, no nothing - this was at Boise Gun Company. About the same time frame, I bought a wheelgun from Buckhorn Gun; also in Boise, and it had issues. They fixed it without even a raised eyebrow. Two of the best gun shops I've ever had the pleasure of doing business with.
Old 04-18-2013, 15:54   #12
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
This^^^^

A have bought, literally, dozens of used guns, but I know a lot about a gun before I shop for one so I look them over carefully. I have "rejected" many guns because they didn't "pass my inspection" of the ones I've bought I can only think of a couple that didn't work just fine, and in one case I knew there was possibly a problem but I knew the model and it was out of production and was way underpriced. I figured the part it might need was available and it and my time would still make it a "deal". As luck would have it, "Bubba" had simply mis-installed a part so I got hard to find, very sought after gun for well less than half of it's market value, and that was from a dealer.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 15:59   #13
Bob Hafler

Slightly over 50% of my rifles and pistols were bought used.
I'm happy to say I've purchased some very fine firearms at some much reduced prices. I looked for used before I do new in most cases as there are so many used pistols out there in todays market that aren't even broken in yet.
Bob Hafler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 16:01   #14
jakebrake
cracker

i've owned my fair share of used as well. this is the time to do your homework.

first off, what is it youre looking at? i'd bet a least one of us has owned, or currently owns one. if there is an inherent flaw, we've learned the hard way.

there are also a few books on guns that devote sections to buying used. and yes, one of them helped me to avoid an issue (safety was non-functional).
21 clubmember #629 freemasons clubmember # 57
Kalashnikov klub member # 413 black rifle club # 830
The road to Hell is paved with good intent
jakebrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 16:18   #15
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
This^^^^

A have bought, literally, dozens of used guns, but I know a lot about a gun before I shop for one so I look them over carefully. I have "rejected" many guns because they didn't "pass my inspection" of the ones I've bought I can only think of a couple that didn't work just fine, and in one case I knew there was possibly a problem but I knew the model and it was out of production and was way underpriced. I figured the part it might need was available and it and my time would still make it a "deal". As luck would have it, "Bubba" had simply mis-installed a part so I got hard to find, very sought after gun for well less than half of it's market value, and that was from a dealer.
Exactly

Most the guns I really like can't even be bought new and even if they can, I usually like the old models better.

You just have to look them over thoroughly and know what to look for.

1911 Buyer's Guide
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 16:21   #16
X-Centric

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebrake View Post
first off, what is it youre looking at? i'd bet a least one of us has owned, or currently owns one. if there is an inherent flaw, we've learned the hard way.
That makes allot of sense. Best to stay clear of the ones that are known or may be known for problems. In my and people I know experiences (unless I got a terrific deal on a target practice gun), I would stay away from Taurus, Bersa, Kel-Tec, Kahr, Jiminez, High Point and some others.
Please, not looking for any arguements.

You can call me Al.
Old 04-18-2013, 17:10   #17
JDSTG58

I buy mostly used. I've taken up Mill Surpluss collecting so they are all used.... I learn about what I'm looking at before I buy, and look it over well. I'm good with tools, and have bought many " Bubba" guns at a great discount. So far I haven't gotten a lemon even with some that had clearly been screwed with. I have found some nice diamonds in the rough. Know the gun and what to look for and how to check before buying. The other thing is decide what you want. If it must be perfect, buy new. If you want a great value for the money take your time and buy used.

Last year I bought a bubba SKS that someone wanted to turn into a "Black Rifle" with flat black latex house paint. They then took a hacksaw to the bayonet lug. No visible blueing with all of the paint. Picked it up for $75. Go home and clean the paint off , and it's a matching number Russian with a perfect bore and like new finish on the metal. and yes, they had even gotten paint in the bore. Bought a bayonet on gun broker for $10. So for $85 I now have an excellent condition SKS.
JDSTG58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 17:36   #18
tercel89

This is how I decide to buy used

I only buy used if I can completely disassemble the gun that I am buying. I want to be able to understand later on what is going on inside it if it malfunctions. The two guns I feel comfortable buying are the 1911 and the Glock.
Both are easy to disassemble completely and both are very understandable to me .
tercel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 17:41   #19
donmor53

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
.If I only bought "new"...I certainly wouldn't have some of the "classics" that I own.

Attention to detail, common sense and sometimes a touch of experience help to make a used gun purchase to be OK in most cases.

I would advise heavily that you even look a "new" weapon over carefully before laying down your hard earned bucks.

Last edited by donmor53; 04-18-2013 at 17:44..
donmor53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 17:44   #20
dajcarroll

Quote:
That makes allot of sense. Best to stay clear of the ones that are known or may be known for problems. In my and people I know experiences (unless I got a terrific deal on a target practice gun), I would stay away from Taurus, Bersa, Kel-Tec, Kahr, Jiminez, High Point and some others.
If you aren't looking for arguments don't list certain guns then. The Bersa Thunder is a very high quality and highly respected gun. It's inexpensive to purchase, but it is not a cheap gun. The full size 380, and the CC versions are very popular guns.

Old 04-18-2013, 17:50   #21
dajcarroll

Quote:
Also, Kel-Tech, Jimenez, and High Point I could see. Taurus makes a few fine handguns. They're revolvers aren't junk. I also know a lot of people who are fans of the Kahr 9mm series guns. What is it... the PM-9, PF-9, I don't know I don't personally own one... but don turn people away from guns that are looking for help. Especially, if you've never owned one of the company's guns. I know you said you weren't looking for an argument, but that's like calling someone a ****** and saying "I'm not looking for you to call names back."

Old 04-18-2013, 18:28   #22
collim1
Shower Time!

I have had good look buying used guns. Pick up several new mags and a new recoil spring to replace first off.

Give it a good thorough clean and lube and take it out.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 19:54   #23
GlockFan7

Personally, I generally don't buy used if it's for personal protection, but that's just one of my quirks. The few bucks I save, if any, aren't worth the risk to me. If it's high demand gun, the used prices may not be that good, so you need to know what the "new" price is, before considering used. I ended up buying a new BG 380 for less than the used prices I saw. It would also depend on if I know the gun. I would buy any of my dad's guns in a heartbeat. I've never had problems with used guns though.
GlockFan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 19:55   #24
CajunBass

Send a message via AIM to CajunBass
I almost never buy a new gun. I almost never even look at them. They don't interest me for the most part.

The dealer from whom I buy most of my used guns has a "all firearm sales are final" sign prominently displayed. However, on two occasions I have purchased guns that were defective, returned them and they bought the gun back from me just as they would buy any gun from anyone who came in to sell one. In both cases, they gave me full purchase price. I have never asked for my money back. In both cases I just asked "What can you do for me?"

Do they do that for everyone? I have no idea but I doubt I'm anything special.
John 3:16 (NKJV)

Last edited by CajunBass; 04-18-2013 at 19:58..
CajunBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 19:57   #25
JaPes
Rimfire 1010101

MHO, buy a used pistol if, and only if, you know how to inspect and assess the firearm in question.

JaPes is offline   Reply With Quote