Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:58   #1
Vincent Black
Need a cup?

My friends, I've come home. (New again G19 owner)

I haven't owned a Glock since 2004 when other gun companies started making similar guns with interchangeable backstraps that fit my short fingered hands so much better than the 3rd gen Glocks and prior. I've owned the M&P, the Taurus 24/7 (No changeable back straps, but still fit better than the Glock), and recently the Ruger SR9c. (Once again, no real back strap interchangeability, but still had a better trigger reach)

However, thanks to our beloved Commander in Chief's latest...er, policies towards our Second Amendment rights, I thought long and hard about what would be best to get before these atrocities *Ahem* I mean, new laws to make us so much safer get passed.

It didn't take long to realize that (Sadly - I mean come on, you'd think by now there would be other companies that had as many accessories and mod options as Glock, but no... ) Glock was still the most logical choice when it comes to aftermarket parts, accessories, and modification options.

So, a couple of weeks ago, I went to my local fun store and looked at the Gen4 G19. I knew from my prior experiences, there's no better all around pistol for firepower, accuracy and concealability than the G19. Period. (At least, IMO)

I had heard about these Gen 4 pistols on the internet, and their problems, but they seem to have things ironed out now, and I was curious as to if the extra 2mm in shorter trigger reach would make any difference. Not to mention the (supposedly) improved grip texture and larger mag release.

After fondling *Ahem* Er, I mean handling the pistol to check for improved ergonomics , the extra 2mm made the difference for me. Before, my fingers were so short, that I had to slightly offset my grip to be able to kick off the trigger safety (No, seriously, my fingers are that freaking short ) Now, even though I don't have as much pad on the trigger as I like, I had no problems pulling the trigger with a proper grip and when checking for sight picture when firing, it seems that right before the firing pin is released, the trigger seems to wind up around the sweet spot on the finger pad resulting in a pretty much stable sight picture, and not being off either slightly to the left or right.

As for the new grip texture, let's just say it works, and works damned good, maybe too good. I've never had a Glock start to wear sore spots on my hands before unless I was using skateboard tape. It would seem that that's definitely not needed anymore, wow.

The trigger is smooth, with that familiar resistance right before the firing pin is released, and doesn't feel gritty at all.

I've read about the different recoil springs that Glock had issued, and mine has 0, 3, and 4 at the 9, 6, and 3 o'clock positions. The first 3 letters of the serial number is TYD*** and the test fire date is 10/10/12. (Would have been really cool if it was 12/12/12, but oh well)

They happened to have a big box FULL of 31 round, Korean made PW mags, I bought one outright and put another two more on layaway with the Glock. But since they made two tickets, I was able to pick up my G19 yesterday and still keep the two unpaid for mags on layaway due to them putting it on a separate ticket, LOL!

Good thing too, because they completely sold out of those mags like I figured they would. My only regret was that I didn't put more on layaway with the G19.

And now, a simple pic of my Gen 4 G19 :

General Glocking

I figure that if later on I'm still not happy enough with the way it fits my hands, I can always get a back strap reduction, but I will wait and see how I do with it first before making that decision.

It will be a sad day for all democracy. It will be a sad day for the United States.

Last edited by Vincent Black; 01-20-2013 at 13:02..
Vincent Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 13:09   #2
rolltide_pisco
NRA Life Member

Awesome
rolltide_pisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 13:13   #3
DrtyHarry

They are hard to come by these days, mind if I ask how much it set you back?

DH
Old 01-20-2013, 13:45   #4
Vincent Black
Need a cup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrtyHarry View Post
They are hard to come by these days, mind if I ask how much it set you back?

DH
If you're referring to the Korean PW mags, they were selling them for $29 a piece.

It will be a sad day for all democracy. It will be a sad day for the United States.
Old 01-20-2013, 14:03   #5
DrtyHarry

Was referring to the G19...I see them selling as much as $800+ right now.

DH
Old 01-20-2013, 14:11   #6
Vincent Black
Need a cup?

Ah, OK, in that case, I got mine for $577 after tax.

Last edited by Vincent Black; 01-20-2013 at 14:11..
Old 01-20-2013, 16:10   #7
SCmasterblaster

Welcome home!
Old 01-20-2013, 16:17   #8
DrtyHarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Black View Post
Ah, OK, in that case, I got mine for $577 after tax.
That's more than fair given today's climate! Congrats!!!

DH
Old 01-20-2013, 21:33   #9
Vincent Black
Need a cup?

Yep, I thought it wasn't a bad deal, I knew that getting the Gen 4 version was the right decision since they come with three mags as opposed to only two for the Gen 3. Not to mention that extra 2mm of trigger reach might not sound like much, but it made all the difference in the world for me.

BTW, I've now got sore spots on my fingers and in the palm of my right hand from handling it so much. Er, wait...that didn't sound right...

Last edited by Vincent Black; 01-20-2013 at 21:34..
Old 01-20-2013, 21:44   #10
SJ 40

A G 19 would be hard to part with,glad you were able to rectify that, Congrats ! SJ 40
SJ 40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:10   #11
chemboy

Always room for a G19 in a guys stable.
Congrats.

Current Glocks: 19,26,20SF,29SF, 21Gen4,23Gen4,32Gen4
AA 22lr conversion kit for G20.
chemboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 14:16   #12
larry_minn
Silver Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrtyHarry View Post
Was referring to the G19...I see them selling as much as $800+ right now.

DH
Dang. Now I have to dig out that NIB GSSF 17. $800 its gone.
larry_minn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:04   #13
Scouse

Sitting in my Step sons kitchen in Sacramento, with my Glock 19 4th Gen pistol at home in Florida?

Can you spell SAD!

But it is the best glock i have ever owned, bar non, my first ones came in to Toronto in 1984.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:56   #14
ca survivor

Congrats.
ca survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:48   #15
Vincent Black
Need a cup?

Thanks, I finally got some ammo and will be shooting 100 rounds through it to see how she handles. Got the big dot XS 24/7 sights on it yesterday for $100 so I'm really curious to see how I do with them.

I'm having a problem with the PW 33 round mags, I can't seem to load anything past 18 rounds in them, not sure why though. I've read that other people have also had this problem, but I'm not sure what the solution would be other than getting either factory or Wolff +10% springs for them...

Here's another pic, along with a little something that I picked up from the post office this morning :

General Glocking

Last edited by Vincent Black; 02-07-2013 at 11:48..
Old 02-07-2013, 17:02   #16
Vincent Black
Need a cup?

Well, I shot 100 rounds through it, the good news is not one single jam, stove pipe, or any other problem, not even one single BTF, though I did have a couple land on my right shoulder and bounce off.

The bad news is that most of my shots were low left and some were left. I should also say that most of the time I was shooting strong hand only (Right handed), the few times I did use a two handed hold, I did better, but that's not much of a surprise, lol.

Last edited by Vincent Black; 02-07-2013 at 17:05..
Old 02-07-2013, 17:38   #17
Catshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Black View Post
Well, I shot 100 rounds through it, the good news is not one single jam, stove pipe, or any other problem, not even one single BTF, though I did have a couple land on my right shoulder and bounce off.

The bad news is that most of my shots were low left and some were left. I should also say that most of the time I was shooting strong hand only (Right handed), the few times I did use a two handed hold, I did better, but that's not much of a surprise, lol.
Glad to hear it worked well for you.

The low/left for a right-handed shooter happens when as you pull the trigger your other fingers are also tightening on the pistol's grip, pulling it down/left. Lefties will go high/right.

This is quite common. Practice moving only your trigger finger as it's not a normal thing to move just one, it takes getting used to.

Cat
Old 02-07-2013, 18:41   #18
chemboy

Vincent,
Sounds like you are 'milking' the trigger a bit. That should go away after a few hundred rounds, tops.
FWIW, every time I quit shooting Glocks for more than a week or two, my first few magazines of ammo will hit low/left.

BTW, nice 'Texas Toothpick' you have there!

Current Glocks: 19,26,20SF,29SF, 21Gen4,23Gen4,32Gen4
AA 22lr conversion kit for G20.
chemboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 18:42   #19
Ranger45

Congrats, and welcome back. Hard not to love the G19!
Ranger45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 18:49   #20
SCmasterblaster

Good choice - G19.