Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-07-2013, 00:57   #1
Shepherds_Hook_47

When is the last time you???

When is the last time you read the Constitution, Bill of Rights, & Declaration of Independence ??

Those of you who swore an oath to defend the Constitution...
When is the last time you read it? Do you believe in it?

I was asked this question the other day and I thought it was good to pass on..

How can you defend something that you don't know?

Dear fellow Americans I humbly ask you to take some time and read the constitution to your families...
here: http://www.constitution.org/constit_.htm

Life, Liberty, Property
Shepherds_Hook_47
Shepherds_Hook_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:34   #2
Kozel

Why bother? The only people that read them are few delusional throwbacks.

Read them all you want but if you demand your rights you will be declared domestic terrorist and you will get a missile from the drone into your living room.

Get over it. You can thump your chest and wave your flag all day long but when you are not busy doing that you will go and work your arse off for figment of imagination of your masters (AKA USD).

Last edited by Kozel; 02-07-2013 at 02:35..
Kozel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:09   #3
LawScholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozel View Post
Why bother? The only people that read them are few delusional throwbacks.

Read them all you want but if you demand your rights you will be declared domestic terrorist and you will get a missile from the drone into your living room.

Get over it. You can thump your chest and wave your flag all day long but when you are not busy doing that you will go and work your arse off for figment of imagination of your masters (AKA USD).

Goodness, you must go through a lot of Che Guevara shirts.

OP, I have an app on my phone that contains them, and peruse them regularly.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:51   #4
Rooster Rugburn
Got Pignose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepherds_Hook_47 View Post
Those of you who swore an oath to defend the Constitution...
When is the last time you read it? Do you believe in it?
Most are too busy "following orders" and haven't been ordered to read it.

Unfortunately, there is a HUGE difference between supporting and defending the Constitution, and supporting and defending a judicial interpretation of the what the Constitution means.

Ever notice that people who say "There is no I in TEAM" are the ones always riding your coattails?
Rooster Rugburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:07   #5
Mrs.Cicero
Wayward Member

The Bill of Rights is posted on my fridge. The Declaration of Independence is coming up in homeschool this semester, to be read and portions memorized, followed by the Constitution at the beginning of next semester. If you don't know it, you don't deserve to have it.

"Oh bother," said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Mrs.Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:17   #6
Dalton Wayne
CLM Number 239
Epic mustache

Send a message via MSN to Dalton Wayne Send a message via Skype™ to Dalton Wayne
I have a booklet with those, one is in my car the other is on my desk, so yes I read them....
As Stephen F. Roberts so famously said speaking with a Christian apologist "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

Last edited by Dalton Wayne; 02-07-2013 at 07:18..
Dalton Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:32   #7
Bren
NRA Life Member

I read the constitution plenty- I even teach government employees about it. Heck, the Army even made me read the constitution of Afghanistan before I went there.

The problem we see on Glock Talk is that reading the constitution doesn't seem to help most people here understand it. We get people who think, like Rooster Rugburn, that the constitution means anything they want, so their personal opinion is, somehow, superior to the results of trained legal experts who have gone through a process of studying precedent and arguing different points of view to arrive at an interpretation. If you think about it, that's a pretty crazy opinion to hold.

Last edited by Bren; 02-07-2013 at 07:34..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:33   #8
Kozel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawScholar View Post
Goodness, you must go through a lot of Che Guevara shirts.

Never had one. Never will.

What is the US$? You tell me.

It is a figment of imagination created by cartel of private banks (AKA “Federal Reserve”). They create trillions of them anytime they feel like it.

Run around waving flag and reading the Bill of Rights. May as well sing a song or two about your glorious freedom.
We are slaves of our masters. Nothing new under the Sun. Slavery never left. It just took on the new form. Relax and be a happy slave. Being unhappy slave will get you “domestic terrorist” label.

We are only free after we are dead and only if you choose destination of your soul wisely.

Last edited by Kozel; 02-07-2013 at 07:41..
Old 02-07-2013, 07:41   #9
bear62

Quote:
Never had one. Never will.

What is the US$? You tell me.

It is a figment of imagination created by cartel of private banks (AKA “Federal Reserve”). They create trillions of them anytime they feel like it.

Run around waving flag and reading the Bill of Rights. May as well sings a song or two about your glorious freedom.
We are slaves of our masters. Nothing new under the Sun. Slavery never left. It just took on the new form. Relax and be a happy slave. Being unhappy slave will get you “domestic terrorist” label.

We are only free after we are dead and only if you choose destination of your soul wisely.
Maybe time for an attitude adjustment........
Old 02-07-2013, 07:47   #10
Kozel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear62 View Post
Maybe time for an attitude adjustment........
Naaa Slave # bear62.
I am fine with being a happy slave. You want to come down and prove it to me on behalf of your slave masters? How many of those digital green pieces of paper that they are not printed on do you get for that?
Old 02-07-2013, 15:36   #11
bear62

Quote:
Naaa Slave # bear62.
I am fine with being a happy slave. You want to come down and prove it to me on behalf of your slave masters? How many of those digital green pieces of paper that they are not printed on do you get for that?
Glad you are a happy slave.......
Old 02-07-2013, 15:46   #12
LawScholar

Quote:
Naaa Slave # bear62.
If you have a Facebook page (probably not since it's a tool of the whip masters to enslave our feeble sheep minds) I'm guessing it reads "Political Views: Hyperbole"
Old 02-07-2013, 15:48   #13
exmdshooter
WWJMBD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepherds_Hook_47 View Post
When is the last time you read the Constitution, Bill of Rights, & Declaration of Independence ??
Last month. Working my way through the Federalist Papers at the moment. Yes, I know these documents and WILL defend them. True, the Federal Government has gone far afield from its enumerated powers, and we've currently got a whole passel of idiots in DC and elsewhere who don't give a crap about the Constitution and want to subvert it even further. They're power hungry petty tyrants. So... do we give in to the "inevitable" and let the last bastion of freedom slip through our fingers, denying what rights we do still have to the next generation, or do we draw a line in the sand and say "no more"?

The Constitution is nothing more than a piece of paper unless enough people are willing to step up and say not just "no" but "hell no."

YMMV
and Black Rifle club member #423
Pennsylvania Glockers club member #107
exmdshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 16:13   #14
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
I read the constitution plenty- I even teach government employees about it. Heck, the Army even made me read the constitution of Afghanistan before I went there.

The problem we see on Glock Talk is that reading the constitution doesn't seem to help most people here understand it. We get people who think, like Rooster Rugburn, that the constitution means anything they want, so their personal opinion is, somehow, superior to the results of trained legal experts who have gone through a process of studying precedent and arguing different points of view to arrive at an interpretation. If you think about it, that's a pretty crazy opinion to hold.
Legal precedent SHOULD BE irrelevant.

Understanding the COTUS. Does not require a JD.
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 16:33   #15
LawScholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
Legal precedent SHOULD BE irrelevant.

Understanding the COTUS. Does not require a JD.
Maybe not the plain language, but there are numerous situations since the document was drafted that pit parts of the Constitution directly against each other. Legal analysis is the only way those problems ever get resolved. The plain text of the document should always be the lodestar, but it's not sufficient by itself to completely address every problem a republic of ~320 million with access to globalized markets faces.

Now, since this is GT, here come five posters to tell me I'm a progressive commie liberal even though I'm well to the right of Scalia re: textualism & originalism.

Last edited by LawScholar; 02-07-2013 at 16:35..
LawScholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:31   #16
Kozel

Quote:
If you have a Facebook page (probably not since it's a tool of the whip masters to enslave our feeble sheep minds) I'm guessing it reads "Political Views: Hyperbole"
Never heard of it. Never been to that Fecesbook place either.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:33   #17
Kozel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear62 View Post
Glad you are a happy slave.......
But I know where slavery ends. You do not.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:25   #18
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist

Quote:
Maybe not the plain language, but there are numerous situations since the document was drafted that pit parts of the Constitution directly against each other. Legal analysis is the only way those problems ever get resolved. The plain text of the document should always be the lodestar, but it's not sufficient by itself to completely address every problem a republic of ~320 million with access to globalized markets faces.

Now, since this is GT, here come five posters to tell me I'm a progressive commie liberal even though I'm well to the right of Scalia re: textualism & originalism.

I'm all for legal analysis, I just don't think nine unelected judges should determine what is and is not constitutional without the states agreeing to the decision.

syntaxerrorsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:23   #19
johnd

Send a message via ICQ to johnd
2 or 3 times a week in fact.
I keep a copy in my briefcase and others in my patrol car.
I am fascinated by those who quote me the Constitution and get it wrong.
johnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:59   #20
bear62

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd View Post
2 or 3 times a week in fact.
I keep a copy in my briefcase and others in my patrol car.
I am fascinated by those who quote me the Constitution and get it wrong.
Good for you..........
Old 02-08-2013, 07:02   #21
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Maybe not the plain language, but there are numerous situations since the document was drafted that pit parts of the Constitution directly against each other. Legal analysis is the only way those problems ever get resolved. ...
For example, sir?
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:10   #22
tadbart
duuuuude.

if someone read the Declaration today for the first time, it wouldn't be a stretch to think that it was written last week.

kinda scary.

G19
pointy stick
sharp wit
tadbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:07   #23
heliguy

I've got a pocket copy from the heritage foundation in my briefcase. Figure if I ever get arrested for doing something stupid, it'll be appropriate reading material....
heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:17   #24
casualoffender
JAFO

I just finished a Government class in college last semester; read and studied them all.
casualoffender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:29   #25
LawScholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntaxerrorsix View Post
I'm all for legal analysis, I just don't think nine unelected judges should determine what is and is not constitutional without the states agreeing to the decision.
Oh, completely agreed. Not a fan of activist judging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallium View Post
For example, sir?
Balancing the Federal commerce power with the unenumerated rights being given to the states in the 10th Amendment. The jurisprudence in milestone cases like International Shoe had to develop tests like minimum contacts to determine when a state's commerce has enough interstate effect to be Congressionally-regulated commerce.

The Constitution's plain language does not lay out a threshold, Analysis of legislative purpose and history along with parsing the Constitutional language was necessary.

Also, the Erie doctrine, that applies state substantive law in cases that lie in federal diversity jurisdiction. Completely logical and not very controversial anymore, but not in the plain language.

There are many, many more examples of Constitutional plain language not providing specific enough information to resolve disputes. Those were just two I had time to fire off on my phone

Again, I am a big believer in a total plain language analysis where possible, and that allows the Constitution to resolve a lot of disputes (speech includes Internet speech AND printing presses, arms include muskets AND AR-15s, etc). But sometimes issues are too factually complex for the document to address without any analysis.

Last edited by LawScholar; 02-08-2013 at 10:40..
LawScholar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bill of rights, constitution, ireadmorethanyou!!!, liberty, selfimportantpost