SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 23:50   #1
RyanBDawg

Question for LEOs.

Hey I had a quick problem that I am hoping an officer could help me with. I was driving back home tonight after watching a basketball game at a buddies place.

As I was slowing down to turn (with my blinker on) I see a cop pulling me over. The speed limit was between like 30-35. I'm sure I was going approximately this speed as I was slowing down to turn. (It was also raining which also caused me to drive slower.)

The cop comes to my door I give him my license, insurance etc.

He then comes back and tells me that I was driving "carelessly". I ask him to tell me specifically what I had done and asked if I was speeding.

He refused to tell me the specifics of why he pulled me over, and refused to tell me how fast I was going as he did not have my speed on radar.

He took my license and gave me a ticket. The ticket simply has slashes where my speed and the speed limit were supposed to go..

My court date is March 6 and I want to contest this BS.

I know he is simply doing this for the money as he was sure to point out where I could pay online or by phone.

Any advice on what I should do?

The passenger with me was just as perplexed as to why he had pulled me over, especially since he refused to tell me how fast he thought I was going..

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Glock 26 w/CTC Lasergrips, and Trijicon Sights = Daily Carry

Last edited by RyanBDawg; 02-07-2013 at 00:03..
Old 02-06-2013, 23:59   #2
msu_grad_121
BOOSH

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanBDawg View Post
Hey I had a quick problem that I am hoping an officer could help me with. I was driving back home tonight after watching a basketball game at a buddies place.

As I was slowing down to turn (with my blinker on) I see a cop pulling me over. The speed limit was between like 35(?). I'm sure I was going approximately this speed as I was slowing down to turn. (It was also raining which also caused me to drive slower.)

The cop comes to my door I give him my license, insurance etc.

He then comes back and tells me that I was driving "carelessly". I ask him to tell me specifically what I had done and asked if I was speeding. (Well since he didn't SAY you were speeding, that's kind of a moot point, wouldn't you say?)

He refused to tell me the specifics of why he pulled me over, and refused to tell me how fast I was going as he did not have my speed on radar.

He took my license and gave me a ticket. The ticket simply has slashes where my speed and the speed limit were supposed to go..

My court date is March 6 and I want to contest this BS.

I know he is simply doing this for the money as he was sure to point out where I could pay online or by phone.

Any advice on what I should do?

The passenger with me was just as perplexed as to why he had pulled me over, especially since he refused to tell me how fast he thought I was going..

The above emphasized points will just get you a metric **** ton of officers on your side. Good luck in court!

Oh, and before you go opening your mouth and removing all doubt as to what you are, you might want to read Eric's sticky about why this forum is here. It pretty speicifically mentions your situation. I'll even do you the favor of posting the link:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=622412

See? We're not ALL bad, are we?

Last edited by msu_grad_121; 02-07-2013 at 00:11..
Old 02-07-2013, 00:06   #3
pgg00

If you don't agree with it take it to court. I don't know of a single officer that writes tickets for the money. That is not how we work. The officer saw a violation and decided to write you a ticket.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

WiskyT :whistling:
There's nothing like the fact that you can take educated professionals with everything on the line and add a little booze and they act like juniors in HS.
Old 02-07-2013, 00:07   #4
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Cop Talk
Old 02-07-2013, 00:08   #5
nikerret
Mr. Awesome

Let us know how your court date goes.
Old 02-07-2013, 00:09   #6
razdog76
Heavy Mettle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Folks, I did not create this forum to give people a place to ***** about cops, or to question the morality or legality of their practices. You might have a burning need to do so, but this is not the place for it.

I created this forum as a place for cops to talk shop and for non-cops to be able to interact with cops and hopefully create some common ground. <b><font color="red">If you do not like cops, or you are pissed because you got a ticket, or you want to know how to beat the ticket, or you don't like no-knock warrants or DUI checkpoints, do not post about it here. Period. </font></b>I am sick to death of all of the bickering and all of the problems a few knuckleheads here (On both sides of the fence) keep causing. I want the problems to stop.

If you want to discuss legal/ethical issues of police practices or policies, do it in GT's Civil Liberties forum. That is what it was created for. From now on, any such discussion here will be closed or moved to that forum. There are a handful of people here who are obsessed with the topic and they are screwing things up here for everyone else.

Once again and for the record, I and my site are big fans of LEO's and we support them. You do not have to like them yourself, but you do have to treat them respectfully if you want to post on my site. On the other hand, the problems here are not one-sided. I expect EVERYONE to comport themselves in a considerate, respectful manner, if they wish to continue participating here. There is no excuse for bad behavior and many of you are in a job that has certainly taught you better.

This forum has been one of the most problematic on GT, but I still feel it can be an asset if the people that use it will help it live up to its potential. Eric
There seems to be some particulars missing from your statement. Perhaps you should consult an attorney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron
'..You can lead an ass to facts, but you can't make them think...'

Last edited by razdog76; 02-07-2013 at 00:10..
Old 02-07-2013, 00:10   #7
RyanBDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by razdog76 View Post
There seems to be some particulars missing from your statement. Perhaps you should consult an attorney.
Like what?

Old 02-07-2013, 00:12   #8
razdog76
Heavy Mettle

Quote:
Like what?

You never stated what you were cited for, only that hash marks were where the speed was, so...

Quote:
My court date is March 6 and I want to contest this BS.[/URL]
I suggest you contest it.

Additionally, refer to the post made by Eric in my previous post with the boldfaced parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron
'..You can lead an ass to facts, but you can't make them think...'

Last edited by razdog76; 02-07-2013 at 00:17..
Old 02-07-2013, 00:13   #9
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Post a photo of the ticket.

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
Old 02-07-2013, 00:14   #10
RyanBDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by razdog76 View Post
You never stated what you were cited for, only that hash marks were where the speed was, so...
"Careless driving" is the only boxed checked on the ticket.

Last edited by RyanBDawg; 02-07-2013 at 00:14..
Old 02-07-2013, 00:16   #11
msu_grad_121
BOOSH

Quote:
"Careless driving" is the only boxed checked on the ticket.

Well that answered that, didn't it?

See how we did it?!

Last edited by msu_grad_121; 02-07-2013 at 00:17..
Old 02-07-2013, 00:18   #12
WarCry

Quote:

As I was slowing down to turn (with my blinker on) I see a cop pulling me over. The speed limit was between like 30-35. I'm sure I was going approximately this speed as I was slowing down to turn. (It was also raining which also caused me to drive slower.)
Okay, I'm not a cop, so I'm not going to offer any advice, but I was wondering if there might be an answer in what you posted:

Quote:
As I was slowing down
Quote:
The speed limit was between like 30-35. I'm sure I was going approximately this speed as I was slowing down to turn.
You said you were believed you were going approximately this speed BECAUSE you were slowing down to turn. This reads to me like you were going FASTER than that before you began to slow down.

I would just say I read something wrong, but you stated the same thing twice, that you were already slowing for the turn, then stated that you were approximately at the speed limit.

Also, if 35 is the speed limit and it's raining, even if you're going 30, I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong - in general, without specific jurisdiction stuff) you can still be cited for too fast for conditions.
Old 02-07-2013, 00:19   #13
RyanBDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBO View Post
Post a photo of the ticket.
Ok here ya go.

Cop Talk

Old 02-07-2013, 00:21   #14
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

As said, you got a ticket for CARELESS DRIVING.
--------------------------------

SEC. 63-3-1213. Careless driving

Any person who drives any vehicle in a careless or imprudent manner, without due regard for the width, grade, curves, corner, traffic and use of the streets and highways and all other attendant circumstances is guilty of careless driving. Careless driving shall be considered a lesser offense than reckless driving.

Every person convicted of careless driving shall be punished by a fine of not less than Five Dollars ($5.00) nor more than Fifty Dollars ($50.00).

SOURCES: Laws, 1993, ch. 317, Sec. 1, eff from and after July 1, 1993 (became law without Governor's signature on March 16, 1993).

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?

Last edited by TBO; 02-07-2013 at 00:23..
Old 02-07-2013, 00:21   #15
RyanBDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarCry View Post
Okay, I'm not a cop, so I'm not going to offer any advice, but I was wondering if there might be an answer in what you posted:

You said you were believed you were going approximately this speed BECAUSE you were slowing down to turn. This reads to me like you were going FASTER than that before you began to slow down.

I would just say I read something wrong, but you stated the same thing twice, that you were already slowing for the turn, then stated that you were approximately at the speed limit.

Also, if 35 is the speed limit and it's raining, even if you're going 30, I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong - in general, without specific jurisdiction stuff) you can still be cited for too fast for conditions.
I had already slowed because I had just entered city limits and assumed the speed limit went from like 45-30 or something like that. It was only probably like the 2-3rd time I had been on that road. I slowed even further (with my signal on) to turn left when the road forked.

Old 02-07-2013, 00:25   #16
RyanBDawg

Would the fact that I drive a red Camaro SS have anything to do with this? Maybe I just looked fast! Haha..

Old 02-07-2013, 00:27   #17
RyanBDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by msu_grad_121 View Post
The above emphasized points will just get you a metric **** ton of officers on your side. Good luck in court!

Oh, and before you go opening your mouth and removing all doubt as to what you are, you might want to read Eric's sticky about why this forum is here. It pretty speicifically mentions your situation. I'll even do you the favor of posting the link:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=622412

See? We're not ALL bad, are we?
Never said you were bad. My apartment was broken into on the 1st January and the cop handling our case has been a real cool guy.

Ill try and ask him about this as well if he can spare the time.

Old 02-07-2013, 00:30   #18
ranger1968

Here's what that guy is going to tell you:

If you feel that the ticket was issued improperly, take it to court;

That's your recourse, and your right, and no matter how many different cops you ask, you're going to get the same answer, even if it's not what you want to hear.
Old 02-07-2013, 00:31   #19
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Cop Talk
Old 02-07-2013, 00:33   #20
RyanBDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger1968 View Post
Here's what that guy is going to tell you:

If you feel that the ticket was issued improperly, take it to court;

That's your recourse, and your right, and no matter how many different cops you ask, you're going to get the same answer, even if it's not what you want to hear.
Yea.

But why did he take my license? That really annoys me, especially since I have to drive out of state this weekend.

Closed Thread