SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-06-2013, 22:28   #1
rolltide_pisco
NRA Life Member

Denied a intoxicated idiot tonight a firearm purchase

About two hours ago cleaning up the department, a guy was standing at the gun counter. He asked me to help him. I came over and he said, "what do you recommend?"

For what?
"Anything?"
What are you looking for sir?
"Uhhh, lemme see that Marlin 45-70 lever action".

About the time I handed the firearm to him, I could smell the alcohol on him. I ended up getting it back in my possession but not before he argued with me of why I refused to take the trigger lock off.

"Man how am I supposed to buy a gun with a trigger lock on?" "Ok screw it, I'll take it."

Walked into the office, called the manager in, told her the story and said, "I ain't selling him nothing." She called the store manager and I talked to him for like 15 minutes. By the time I was told how to handle the situation, he got fed up and left.

I have no sympathy or soft spot for public drunks. He did try to tell me he wanted it because he was going to Alaska and wanted it in case a bear attacked him.

Oh the joy of working behind the gun counter.
Black Rifle Club #270
rolltide_pisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 22:32   #2
*ASH*

good job
Old 02-06-2013, 22:34   #3
JimBean

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide_pisco View Post

I have no sympathy or soft spot for public drunks..
He might have drank to work up the nerve to take a chance on the Remington manufactured marlins which are a gamble lately. He put on his beer goggles.
JimBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 22:51   #4
ilgunguygt
Enslaved in IL

Good on you. Years ago when I worked in a convenience store I refused service to drunk people all the time. Thier arguments were "Im already drunk, whats the big deal?" I would try once to explain the "Persons Prohibited" statute, then ask them to leave. If they didnt, call the cops. At best Public intox, at worst DUI.
Old 02-07-2013, 00:36   #5
Folsom_Prison
Brew Crew

So was he stumbling drunk, or coherent and had some booze/beer breath and carried on a normal conversation?
Folsom_Prison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 00:42   #6
boxer01

Quote:
Originally Posted by G19_AJ View Post
So was he stumbling drunk, or coherent and had some booze/beer breath and carried on a normal conversation?
Or was he drunk but that special kind of drunk? Where you're a better driver 'cause you know you're drunk. You know, the kinda' drunk where you probably shouldn't drive but you do anyway because, I mean come on, you gotta get your car home.

Last edited by boxer01; 02-07-2013 at 00:42..
boxer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 00:53   #7
JLB768
Silver Membership
Old & Grumpy

And he probably hopped in a vehicle, and drove off drunk.
Black Rifle Club Member #768
JLB768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 00:55   #8
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

I hate it when people won't sell me guns or more booze after a three day bender.
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:00   #9
Folsom_Prison
Brew Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxer01 View Post
Or was he drunk but that special kind of drunk? Where you're a better driver 'cause you know you're drunk. You know, the kinda' drunk where you probably shouldn't drive but you do anyway because, I mean come on, you gotta get your car home.

I don't drink and drive, however I occasionally go out with friends. Might have a beer or two, not get three sheets to the wind. What if after dinner I wanted to stop by cabelas and pick me up a new 22?
Folsom_Prison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:29   #10
boxer01

Quote:
I don't drink and drive, however I occasionally go out with friends. Might have a beer or two, not get three sheets to the wind. What if after dinner I wanted to stop by cabelas and pick me up a new 22?
That would mean you're a dangerous criminal. Especially if drove up there not wearing your seat belt.
boxer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:30   #11
NMG26

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverMore1701 View Post
I hate it when people won't sell me guns or more booze after a three day bender.
I got cut off at a Christmas party once. Times they have changed.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:35   #12
rolltide_pisco
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Don't know about stumbling but he was slurring his words. You could smell it on him. It wasn't one of those I had a beer with my pepperjack burger at Applebee's. Smelled like Jim Beam to me.

I doubt he had the $600 bucks to buy the thing anyways. He even ventured into the other departments asking the associates to cut him a deal on other things.
Black Rifle Club #270
rolltide_pisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:37   #13
okie
GT Mayor

Good job for saying no my friend
okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:56   #14
jpa
CLM Number 268
Charter Lifetime Member

Send a message via AIM to jpa Send a message via Yahoo to jpa
Dude probably was talking on his cell phone while driving too.
Big Dawg #1408, TT #1408
Moto Club #1408, GSSF Member, NRA RSO
NRA Benefactor Member
jpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:37   #15
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:

You really would have had to been there. From how the story was depicted, it is my impression the dude was a feather smack from falling over.

- G
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:08   #16
LawScholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxer01 View Post
Hahaha I got it Peter.

What, do they want you to take the bus?

YOU take the bus!
Old 02-07-2013, 04:48   #17
Roger1079

I have actually seen this a couple times at the range. Once with alcohol and once with pot. The one with pot was actually kind of funny.

Two girls in their mid twenties walk in and you could smell the pot immediately. They walked to the counter and asked to rent a pistol and buy some ammo. The clerk explains that he can smell marijuana on them and they would have to leave the premises. They actually went on about how they did not although it was obvious. First they said they were just in the car while their friends were smoking and when that didn't work explained that they were not smoking now, so it was fine.

The clerk was enjoying the stupidity and finally had to explain that if you were out drinking and get in the car and drive after your last drink you will still get a DUI. The fact that you aren't drinking when you are pulled over does not mean you are not still impaired. They said "Oooooh, ok." in what had to be the funniest expression I have ever seen. It was as if they had both just been enlightened by some divine revelation. They said thank you and left as the clerk was laughing and shaking his head.

It just boggles my mind the times people want to handle and/or shoot a firearm. The last thing I ever want to do after drinking is handle something that has the ability to kill me or someone else with the slightest mishap in judgment and care. I feel the same way about driving impaired and have zero sympathy for anyone who has received a DUI.
Roger1079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:05   #18
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Huh? Not much experience with drunks, while you're sober, I take it.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:44   #19
Bruce M

Good job to get the gun away from him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBean View Post
He might have drank to work up the nerve to take a chance on the Remington manufactured marlins which are a gamble lately. He put on his beer goggles.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:36   #20
Longtooths

Send a message via ICQ to Longtooths
How much was the 45-70?
Old 02-07-2013, 06:53   #21
Adjuster

I witnessed a refusal once at Bass Pro Shop here in Ft. Lauderdale. I posted about it on GT when it happened. I was wasting time between appointments so I stopped in to Bass Pro to look around. I was at the gun counter window shopping when another customer walked up and asked the clerk to see several different handguns. This customer was way off his rocker. His mannerisms, his speach, his questions were just all weird. Clearly not this customers fault as there was some sort of mental issue, it was not a drug or alcohol related weirdness. The clerk disappeared to the back for a few minutes I am guessing to talk to a supervisor or make a phone call. When the clerk returned he very apologetically told the customer he could not show him anymore firearms or sell him a firearm on this day. The customer didn't put up any kind of argument and just walked off. But I thought it was a pretty interesting interaction to witness.

And no I didn't blade!

/
Adjuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:22   #22
Steve0853

In my years of retail, I refused several sales. Most of them for being drunk, but one memorable one where the guy wanted to buy a shotgun "to go kill my wife"....

I don't know where the OP works, but at the places I worked, no management consultation was needed. The person behind the counter had the power to end the transaction at any time.

And......to tie this in with the remember prices way back when thread, I've sold many, many Marlin 60's for $39.88 and countless Remington 1100's and 742's for $169.00. Don't groan. It was more money back then than the current retail is now.
Steve0853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:33   #23
redbaron007
Lifetime Membership
A Nice Prick

OP, from what you have said, and it is at your discretion to sell or not sell him a firearm, you made the right decision. Having seen my dad reject a few folks; I would you rather be cautious than the opposite.

Thanks for the good job!

red
TopGun *357sig* Club - #2632

R.I.P. Cajunator® ~ R.I.P. Mullah (aka El Ron)
R.I.P. GioaJack ~ R.I.P. Okie
redbaron007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:47   #24
sheriff733
NRA LIFE MEMBER

What part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand, OP?!?!?!

"This isn't domestic abuse. This is hilarious!" -Peter Griffin
sheriff733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:58   #25
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve0853 View Post
And......to tie this in with the remember prices way back when thread, I've sold many, many Marlin 60's for $39.88 and countless Remington 1100's and 742's for $169.00.
Back in 1978, my first Remington 870 was $130 (IIRC???). And bought a slug barrel for it, on sale at K-mart, for $25?

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote