Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-06-2013, 18:01   #1
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

People crave Windows 8 tablets at work more than iPads

People crave Windows 8 tablets at work more than iPads

A Forrester study says that those who work in information would rather have something like a Surface than any Apple counterpart. However, hardly any of the respondents actually owned a Windows 8 tablet.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-57...re-than-ipads/
--------------

Interesting. You couldn't give away tablets a few years ago, now they're as hot as anything.

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 20:25   #2
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member

Your Apple bashing-fu is weak of late.
FLIPPER 348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 20:32   #3
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Why must you see it as bashing?

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
Old 02-06-2013, 21:04   #4
Restless28

Dude, you are obsessed with Apple bashing.
Restless28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 21:07   #5
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Thin skin here, sheeze!
You'll find I have a strong interest in tech.
If you don't like my threads do me a favor and avoid them. I promise I won't be offended.

A few years ago many major players took a bath on Tablet attempts (Dell, HP, RIM, etc), now everyone is either in, or getting into Tablets, even bringing forth new Operating Systems. Amazing ground covered in short time.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:09   #6
jdeere_man
CLM Number 26
Charter Lifetime Member

If I had to have a tablet (I could care less about them really) I would go with the windows tablet. Why? Because I could do more of the stuff I needed too and I'm more familiar with the UI.
Is there anything wrong with the apple products? No of course it's all preference.

What I don't get is people crying foul over the Windows RT having "limited functionality" because it cannot run native Windows programs, only "apps". Hello isn't that what all over tablets are anyway?!
Old 02-07-2013, 08:10   #7
sheriff733
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Don't listen to the haters TBO. I'm a huge Apple fan, but this is great news. Hopefully the prices of iPads will come down soon.

"This isn't domestic abuse. This is hilarious!" -Peter Griffin
sheriff733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:14   #8
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBO View Post
Why must you see it as bashing?

Because I'm good at reading.
FLIPPER 348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:03   #9
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

So they poll IS people (who work primarily in the Windows world, I assume) and ask what they WANT.

32% say they want a Windows tablet.

Only 2% of ALL respondents actually HAVE a Windows tablet.

Good survey.

Next, I'll poll rural Mainers - paper or plastic. (Hint: Logging!)
Old 02-07-2013, 09:24   #10
devildog2067

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis in MA View Post
So they poll IS people (who work primarily in the Windows world, I assume) and ask what they WANT.
I wish my tablet would let me run real, honest-to-goodness Powerpoint.

Android tablets aren't an option for most of corporate America due to security concerns (whether they're real or not, most companies won't let you use Android to access their Exchange servers). That leaves iOS, BlackBerry, and Windows 8.

The Surface RT is a terrible, worthless POS. There isn't a decent Blackberry tablet.

So I have an iPad.

I wish I had an iPad that ran Windows, but such a thing doesn't exist. I have a feeling that the Surface Pro is going to be almost as heavy as my laptop, so it's probably not going to be a solution either, but hey, I have high hopes.
devildog2067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:33   #11
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

I want mine to spit out unicorn crap for me to sprinkle on my Wheaties, but it wasn't one of the options in the survey.

Given the options out there, IS people PREFER a unit they don't even own. Sounds more like an end-user.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:34   #12
Deanster
CLM Number 250
Cheese?

The fact that 2% of respondents had a Windows tablet shows how focused on Windows-IT types the survey must have been. Reports are that MS has sold fewer than a million Surface RT's, and Surface Pro has only been out a day or two.

I imagine the only place with significant Surface penetration is at Microsoft itself, where they gave every employee a Surface RT.

Your behavior angers God and/or the Constitution. Just sayin'.

I only seem liberal because I believe hurricanes are caused by low barometric pressure, and not gay marriage.
Deanster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:34   #13
devildog2067

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis in MA View Post
I want mine to spit out unicorn crap for me to sprinkle on my Wheaties, but it wasn't one of the options in the survey.
My iPad will only dispense the organic unicorn crap. No HFCS.
devildog2067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:50   #14
Deanster
CLM Number 250
Cheese?

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog2067 View Post
I wish my tablet would let me run real, honest-to-goodness Powerpoint.

Android tablets aren't an option for most of corporate America due to security concerns (whether they're real or not, most companies won't let you use Android to access their Exchange servers). That leaves iOS, BlackBerry, and Windows 8.

The Surface RT is a terrible, worthless POS. There isn't a decent Blackberry tablet.

So I have an iPad.

I wish I had an iPad that ran Windows, but such a thing doesn't exist. I have a feeling that the Surface Pro is going to be almost as heavy as my laptop, so it's probably not going to be a solution either, but hey, I have high hopes.
Good rundown. I'm hoping Office for iPad helps in this regard - not being able to natively use and edit Office docs in the original applications is a giant pain in the ass, and really puts a hit on attempts to use iPad for productivity. DocsToGo helps a lot, but it's not 'real' PP by a long shot, either.

Surface Pro is a great concept, but at $1K for a 2-pound tablet that you can't put on your lap, with 3-hour real-world battery life, it's just not a reasonable mix of features/cost for most people. But it will run full-on Powerpoint, which is a major positive.

Your behavior angers God and/or the Constitution. Just sayin'.

I only seem liberal because I believe hurricanes are caused by low barometric pressure, and not gay marriage.

Last edited by Deanster; 02-07-2013 at 09:51..
Deanster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:28   #15
jpa
CLM Number 268
Charter Lifetime Member

Send a message via AIM to jpa Send a message via Yahoo to jpa
I love the iPhone and would rather have it than a Blackberry.

I don't own an iPhone. or a Blackberry.

(isn't that basically what this survey is saying?)
Big Dawg #1408, TT #1408
Moto Club #1408, GSSF Member, NRA RSO
NRA Benefactor Member
jpa is offline   Reply With Quote