Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-06-2013, 15:04   #1
rvigz

G30S VS G30 Shooting Comparison

I would like to ask those of you who have a G30S and also a G30 or have shot a G30 to post your opinions on the shooting comparisons of these two guns. Accuracy, perceived recoil...

Thanks!
rvigz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 15:12   #2
GRT45
Transform & Win

Here is one report in a side-by-side comparison of the G30S and G30SF to get you started:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noponer View Post
The kick is noticeably more than the G30SF, especially when firing Buffalo Bore +P 230 gr rounds. Not horrible... about what you would expect when losing more than 3 ozs. of steel in the slide. Probably no worse (if as bad) as a G27... I have not shot one for several years.

I'm gonna keep it, though - it's worth it for a .45 SD gun weighing little more than a fully loaded G26. I never use +P rounds in .45 for EDC.... just keep a mag full for those times when I might take to a trail in the woods.
Mas Ayoob made this observation in comparing the two pistols:
Quote:
Recoil is subjective, of course, but I feel a little more impact into the web of the hand and a little more muzzle rise with the 30S than with the 30 or 30SF. Not a huge difference, though, and still comfortable to shoot.

Ref: http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1464970
Ayoob makes mention of accuracy in comparing the G30S to the G30/G30SF in this comment:
Quote:
More recoil, about like a G36, but not a big deal. Good accuracy, but not quite as "gilt-edged" in that respect as a well-broken in G30 or 30S.** Quarter pound lighter than either, though.

Ref: http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1468232

**[Editor's note] I think he meant to type "well-broken in G30 or 30SF."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
: Strictly monogamous, I have one Glock and one woman.
GLOCK Certified Armorer,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Member,
Endowment Member, Eagle Scout

Last edited by GRT45; 02-06-2013 at 16:10..
GRT45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 15:28   #3
jdpst20

I have a regulare G36 and my friend has G30sf. We have shot them side by side and have also swapped out the slide on my to his frame and shot that. I will say the G30sf has noticeable less front recoil and a bit less jerky. The 36 I shoot, I've added the +1 grip extender and I can control the gun very well now, as that pinky part really helps get a high and more secure grip on the pistol. When we put the put my slide on his frame, it shot I guess in between both guns. What I mean is that it was not as jerky as the 36 however the recoil is slightly more than the 30sf all together.

Really it's not a huge huge difference IMO. All was shot with the same ammo in 230gr.
jdpst20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:09   #4
silversport

this is EXACTLY what I needed to read...I still would like to compare them myself but I'll just have to decide if a little more carry comfort trumps a bit more comfortable shooter for me...

Gen4 G30 might be my compromise...

Thanks for the links and for sharing your thoughts guys...

Bill
silversport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:11   #5
Scrappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversport View Post
this is EXACTLY what I needed to read...I still would like to compare them myself but I'll just have to decide if a little more carry comfort trumps a bit more comfortable shooter for me...

Gen4 G30 might be my compromise...

Thanks for the links and for sharing your thoughts guys...

Bill
Remember the frame on the 30S is the same as G30 G30SF Meaning same holster meaning it gonna pretty much carry the same because of the frame!
G30 for me!

Last edited by Scrappy; 02-07-2013 at 07:11..
Scrappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 14:15   #6
Noponer

I shot my G30S & G30SF again yesterday. After getting used to the 30S, the recoil is not too bad, even though greater than the 30SF. I shot some mild reloads, some Speer Gold Dot (not +P) & some Buffalo Bore FMJFN +P (all 230 gr). What I did notice was that hits from the lighter pistol would spread more if I did not concentrate on keeping the muzzle in the right place... the extra ballast of the 30SF helped. I'm still going to use the 30SF for competition for that reason.

Today, I carried the 30S for a while. I switched from an old Dillon Askins-type leather holster (I had cut one down that was made for a G21) to a Don Hume J.I.T Slide leather holster that I had used for a G26 (the model 36, for all glock standard frames). I was surprised how well the Hume holster fit the 30S & it weighs about 2 oz. less than the Dillon. I was also using a 9-round mag with a total of 9 rounds in the gun, vs. the 11 rounds that I had often carried in the 30SF.

For those who say the 3-4 oz slide difference does not matter for concealed carry, I have to say this 30S combination felt much better to me than the old 30SF combination. I don't miss the G26 I traded so much now.

Last edited by Noponer; 02-07-2013 at 14:17..
Noponer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 14:31   #7
GRT45
Transform & Win

Noponer, thanks for the additional G30S and G30SF feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noponer View Post
What I did notice was that hits from the lighter pistol would spread more if I did not concentrate on keeping the muzzle in the right place... the extra ballast of the 30SF helped. I'm still going to use the 30SF for competition for that reason.
It's interesting you mention the effect of the thicker, heavier slide of the G30SF because it reminded me of something Ayoob wrote about some GSSF competitors who run a G36 frame topped by a G30 slide (the opposite of the G30S):

Quote:
Mas Ayoob: "...some who shot Major Sub competition in GSSF matches where round count was limited to the G36's seven cartridges anyway, appreciated the ability to get more hand around the gun and the trigger finger deeper onto the trigger with the smaller G36 frame, while still maintaining the relatively short/stiff/heavy G30 top end for maximum accuracy."

Ref: http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1391460

: Strictly monogamous, I have one Glock and one woman.
GLOCK Certified Armorer,
Member,
Endowment Member, Eagle Scout

Last edited by GRT45; 02-07-2013 at 15:31..
GRT45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:34   #8
silversport

this thread turned out to be timely for me...I had no intention of buying yesterday but that's exactly what I did...

...no G30S to directly compare but I did compare a G36 and a G30 Gen4 side by side...armed with the knowledge from this and other threads (unintended pun) I went with a new G30 Gen4 and added my preference...Trijicon night sights...very nice pistol, happy with my unexpected purchase and appreciate the thoughts shared here...thanks!

General Glocking

Bill
silversport is offline   Reply With Quote