SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:12   #41
PhotoFeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
Well the events of the past year has taught me to BE a hoarder.
Stockpiling ammo over time seems perfectly reasonable to me, and I have accumulated 500 to 1,000 rounds each of 22, 9mm and .45. What seems a bit over the top is emptying dealer shelves now in order to have 5,000 to 10,000 rounds on hand for whatever reason.

I think panic buying hurts all of us who like to shoot a lot and buy ammo as we go.

Last edited by PhotoFeller; 02-13-2013 at 03:13..
PhotoFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:02   #42
Mr KV

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockinNJ View Post
I got cci alum 9mm for 12.99 online about 2 weeks ago and they also had cci brass for 13.99. I think it was Palmetto.

It comes in and out of stock, so be patient and check back often.
Speaking of Palmetto, they are taking forever to ship my order out. Seems like they are realllyyyyy backed up.
Mr KV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:47   #43
eagle15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoFeller View Post
If our active involvement in Afganastan is, in fact, phasing out, it seems ammo production capacity should be freed up for civilian products.

American manufacturers will maintain production capacity consistent with their assessment of long term demand. The spikes in demand brought about by politically-driven panic are likely viewed by Winchester, Remington, Federal and others as temporary. After the dust settles later this year or next, and after the hoarders fill their 5,000-10,000 round inventory levels, supply and prices should be better. As long as we keep buying ammo as fast as they can make it, don't expect conditions to improve.

Remember, they will charge whatever we are willing to pay.
Very well stated, I think your 10,000 round inventory is conservative based on what I have seen lately. Many of the extreme, crazed, panic stricken hoarders are not the shooters that spend a lot of time at the range. The domino effect is playing out right now. The Military, Federal and local LE are stocking up using the priority they have to make sure their supply does not drop due to the crazed public stocking up for whatever they think is going down in the future. I contend that if every hoarder would take a break for about two or three weeks, the rest of us could pick up a few boxes at a reasonable price.
eagle15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:23   #44
mingaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYT 2BER View Post
I wouldn't reload 9mm on a bet.

When this stupidity is over and 9mm goes back to $11 box from Walmart, I wouldn't waste my time or my primers on it to save a couple of dollars.

I guess if you shoot lead you can get away with it financially , but only jacketed for me. I give a crap about my lungs too much.

For other calibers yes but again I wouldn't waste my primers on 9mm
I like your optimism - "when".

The upside of reloading is I get a custom round that is fine tuned to my competition (or SD) needs. I have 2 9mm loads that I load and trust - #3 is in the works.

Last edited by mingaa; 02-13-2013 at 09:25..
mingaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:33   #45
RYT 2BER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingaa View Post

The upside of reloading is I get a custom round that is fine tuned to my competition (or SD) needs. I have 2 9mm loads that I load and trust - #3 is in the works.
I guess I understand, but personally I dont compete, and as far as "custom tuning" 9mm, im not really interested at the moment.

I have plenty of 9mm ammo but it isnt a caliber I carry. Like I said, primers are too difficult to come by, that I am not wasting them on 9mm to save a couple of dollars or to fine tune a round for SD... (Note; if I was making SD ammo I could get my head around it, as i wouldnt be using that much and I could justify it.. but to use 100's if not 1000s of my primers for punching holes in paper? .. No thanks )
Old 02-13-2013, 21:01   #46
esminbritt
Elias

I have more ammo than I can carry on my back. thats what it breaks down to for me. If a thousand rounds of a few different calibers isn't enough, I'm doing something wrong. I'm not planning on holing up in the basement if the SHTF. I will me in the woods. Well selected shots for food and protection and the ability to stay mobile will be our priority.
esminbritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 15:47   #47
SCmasterblaster

I am down to under 500 rounds of 9mm ammo. Gun show this weekend - time to get more primers and bullets.
Old 02-14-2013, 18:05   #48
RYT 2BER

Quote:
I am down to under 500 rounds of 9mm ammo. Gun show this weekend - time to get more primers and bullets.
I don't think you're getting any primers.. But I could be wrong
Old 02-14-2013, 20:23   #49
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
I don't think you're getting any primers.. But I could be wrong
You're probably right. I am going to a big gun show on Saturday, and I'll go in right when they open.
Old 02-14-2013, 20:38   #50
esminbritt
Elias

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle15 View Post
Very well stated, I think your 10,000 round inventory is conservative based on what I have seen lately. Many of the extreme, crazed, panic stricken hoarders are not the shooters that spend a lot of time at the range. The domino effect is playing out right now. The Military, Federal and local LE are stocking up using the priority they have to make sure their supply does not drop due to the crazed public stocking up for whatever they think is going down in the future. I contend that if every hoarder would take a break for about two or three weeks, the rest of us could pick up a few boxes at a reasonable price.
I second that. I passed on a trip to a gun show this weekend. I don't need to feed this beast. I'm not a hoarder. I have enough for now and I'll buy some more once the dust settles. If the prices stay high, I'll cut my practice down to a minimum.
esminbritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 20:46   #51
SJ 40

Quote:
You're probably right. I am going to a big gun show on Saturday, and I'll go in right when they open.
Primers were few to nonexistent at the Barre show this past weekend but I wish you luck between West Leb. and White River shows. SJ 40
SJ 40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:42   #52
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ 40 View Post
Primers were few to nonexistent at the Barre show this past weekend but I wish you luck between West Leb. and White River shows. SJ 40
I know the Wleb show, but what is in WRJ?

Old 02-15-2013, 18:00   #53
SJ 40

Quote:

I said WRJ but technically it's in Hartford at the old Charley Kelton auto sales. Two shows within a short distance of each other. SJ 40

http://www.gunshowmonster.com/gunsho...rtford-VT.html

Last edited by SJ 40; 02-15-2013 at 18:01.. Reason: Repair link
Old 02-16-2013, 18:21   #54
SJ 40

Quote:

SCMB
Well I was Wrong,different promoters,different locations make a difference, At the W Leb. show there was a fellow with plenty of stock of CCI small and large pistol primers.

He was asking 35.00 a K for small and 40.00 a K for large,don't quite understand that price difference.

For todays market place that pricing was not all that unreasonable,as some of the LGS,if they have any on the shelfs are way more than that on pricing.

This is one time I'm glad to be Wrong,hope you scored some.
SJ 40
Old 02-17-2013, 16:17   #55
SCmasterblaster

Well

I guess that we will have to wait for a pro-gun GOPer to be elected POTUS.
Old 02-23-2013, 19:21   #56
lockANDload

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ 40 View Post
Spent this past weekend helping a friend who is a dealer at the Barre gun show,don't know if you went or not.
Everything was selling even thing that one wouldn't think as being in demand.

I was a given that black anything,ammunition and magazines would be flying out of there and boy did they.

The surprise to many sellers were side by side shotguns and lever actions of any caliber.
One dealer next to us had 6 used SxS and 8 new fly out of his rack in the two days.

There was a fellow going around buying any and all amounts of 45-70 ammunition and asking if a case of it could be obtained.
Perhaps people were heading Joe's advice on shotguns,although a good pump is hard to beat.
It was a hectic weekend. SJ 40
I was there....everyone was buying, except me, cause I already have what I need.......well, almost everything I need. Funny how every gun shop locally was outta AR mags for weeks before the show....suddenly at the show they all had piles....at marked up prices tho, the days of $15 mags are over. Speaking of mags, I'm sick of looking for 17rd rd mags for my new mp 9mm.
lockANDload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 19:47   #57
SJ 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockANDload View Post
I was there....everyone was buying, except me, cause I already have what I need.......well, almost everything I need. Funny how every gun shop locally was outta AR mags for weeks before the show....suddenly at the show they all had piles....at marked up prices tho, the days of $15 mags are over. Speaking of mags, I'm sick of looking for 17rd rd mags for my new mp 9mm.
Funny how that happens. SJ 40
Old 02-23-2013, 19:52   #58
bigtimelarry

Quote:
I wouldn't reload 9mm on a bet.

When this stupidity is over and 9mm goes back to $11 box from Walmart, I wouldn't waste my time or my primers on it to save a couple of dollars.

I guess if you shoot lead you can get away with it financially , but only jacketed for me. I give a crap about my lungs too much.

For other calibers yes but again I wouldn't waste my primers on 9mm
That's Exactly my Thinking too, I got better things to do..
bigtimelarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 19:20   #59
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtimelarry View Post
That's Exactly my Thinking too, I got better things to do..
Well I am going to reload 100 rounds of 9x19 tomorrow here in VT.