Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-06-2013, 13:58   #1
chucky2

New Glock 20: What to use for break-in ammo?

I finally ordered the Gen4 Glock 20 and I'm starting to think about (and acquire) what I'll need for it when it gets here. For lube I decided to try some of that Froglube stuff. I've ordered a 10mm->.40 conversion barrel from KKM. For the fun stuff and home defense, I ordered some Underwood 135 gr. hollow points.

I'm wondering though, is there some clean burning, preferably weak (I'm new to pistol shooting), 10mm ammo that I can run through the new G20 to break it in with the stock barrel? Heck, even if it's not clean burning, what cheap range ammo would you guys recommend?

(and for those of you from my other thread, I've decided that Yes I'm going to try and get one of those Advantage Arms .22 conversion kits. The allure of shooting for virtually free is just too much.)

Thanks for any info and/or perspective here!

Chuck

Last edited by chucky2; 02-06-2013 at 14:00..
chucky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 18:55   #2
JackMac

dont need to break in a Glock in my humble opinion
Old 02-06-2013, 19:00   #3
davsco

really no break in needed. if you will be using for defense, shoot what you plan to use thru it just to confirm all is well and verify point of impact. run thru each mag to ensure it's functioning. then have fun.
davsco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 19:04   #4
GIG4FUN

break in... may be something for me to learn. I never knew.
SArmory XDm.45compact - H&K .45c / NRA member
S&W & Browning & Ruger & Winchester & Remington
GIG4FUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 19:04   #5
Ryno12
NRA Life Member

Yeah, I didn't "break in" my G20 either. Any store bought Federal or Remington ammo is pretty weak, if that's what you want. You may also want to consider reloading for your 10mm.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2
Ryno12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 19:49   #6
Opie 1 Kenopie
Regular Guy

Definitely look at reloading. But for now, I'd buy some of Underwood's FMJ rounds in a light weight for the range. He makes some quality range ammo that is STILL cheaper than most off the shelf stuff you'll find. And since you're paying shipping for your SD ammo anyway, you might as well load up, shipping one box or five is the same.
Old 02-06-2013, 19:56   #7
Ryno12
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie 1 Kenopie View Post
Definitely look at reloading. But for now, I'd buy some of Underwood's FMJ rounds in a light weight for the range. He makes some quality range ammo that is STILL cheaper than most off the shelf stuff you'll find. And since you're paying shipping for your SD ammo anyway, you might as well load up, shipping one box or five is the same.
He said he wanted weak ammo. That's why I suggested store bought junk.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2
Ryno12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 20:34   #8
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackMac View Post
dont need to break in a Glock in my humble opinion

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 21:00   #9
4949shooter

It sounds like the OP wants to get himself used to the gun (break himself in). I would certainly suggest a couple or 5 boxes of Federal 180 grain fmj for this purpose. Then you can move on to the hotter stuff.
Old 02-06-2013, 23:22   #10
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Rem UMC is better ammo than American Eagle, in my opinion. A teensy bit more expensive.

I agree that the G20 can just go ahead and shoot whatever ammo. However, the OP might want to "work up" to full strength stuff. Not a bad plan.

Let's get serious though, if one plans to shoot this cartridge alot, reloading is virtually mandatory -- unless money is plentiful.
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 00:42   #11
blastfact

As stated. Sounds like the shooter wants to break there self in. And thats not a bad thing at all.

If I wasn't a reloader I would be placing a large order with Underwood. I wouldn't waist any time shooting 135gn loads with it. Start with 155 and 165gn loads.

OP your G20 will not be a wild beast in your hands. It will shoot softer than you think. It is a big pistol, there's no mistaking that.

Get that King of Glocks to the range. Take your time with it. You will leave the range with a big smile and a sore face from smiling so much.
blastfact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:12   #12
chucky2

Thanks for the comments All!

Haha, Yes, I both want to break myself in and the G20. I read some threads on here where there is copper colored lube/grease on the G20 that should be left on to normally wear off. I just sort of assumed that some kind of wear-in process between the steel rails in the frame and the slide would occur, and that during this, it'd be better to run more weak ammo rather than just start out with the full bore stuff like from Underwood.

I'm working on getting the Advantage Arms .22 conversion kit (put in a bid today on Gunbroker, and if that falls through, will look to acquire locally; some of the Gunbroker prices are nuts...$315+shipping???).

I was just thinking that if I got some weak ammo, that it'd tend to be cheaper. And since this is my first pistol, shooting weak ammo would be cheaper, potentially better for the G20 (sounds like it doesn't matter there...) and easier on me shooting. In my other thread a couple warned about developing a flinch, and I don't want to start out by rapidly screwing myself up. For sure my 5 or so 10 rd groups at 7 yards at the range were unimpressive, where-as some of you guys are making a ragged hole at 25 yrds or whatever.

Just want to start out as right as possible...

Chuck
Old 02-07-2013, 21:53   #13
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky2 View Post
Thanks for the comments All!

Haha, Yes, I both want to break myself in and the G20. I read some threads on here where there is copper colored lube/grease on the G20 that should be left on to normally wear off. I just sort of assumed that some kind of wear-in process between the steel rails in the frame and the slide would occur, and that during this, it'd be better to run more weak ammo rather than just start out with the full bore stuff like from Underwood.

I'm working on getting the Advantage Arms .22 conversion kit (put in a bid today on Gunbroker, and if that falls through, will look to acquire locally; some of the Gunbroker prices are nuts...$315+shipping???).

I was just thinking that if I got some weak ammo, that it'd tend to be cheaper. And since this is my first pistol, shooting weak ammo would be cheaper, potentially better for the G20 (sounds like it doesn't matter there...) and easier on me shooting. In my other thread a couple warned about developing a flinch, and I don't want to start out by rapidly screwing myself up. For sure my 5 or so 10 rd groups at 7 yards at the range were unimpressive, where-as some of you guys are making a ragged hole at 25 yrds or whatever.

Just want to start out as right as possible...

Chuck
Good thoughts. Here is another unsolicited, albeit repeated, thought...

For that $315, you would be better served getting a reloading kit. Your break even on 10mm will come quickly. My reloads cost 16 cents each and I don't cast my own. American Eagle was almost 60 cents a round when I glanced at prices the other day. Let's say, conservatively, that you save 40 cents per round, the break even point is not far off.

You are going to love this gun, and you are going to want to shoot it a lot. Handloading is the only real way to make that feasible. Plus you can make the exact ammo that you want. Powder puff, full blast, or something in-between. 120 grain to 220 grain bullets.

I recommend this kit because the throw, scale, press, and manual are great. The Speer manual does a great job of explaining the process. Some guys would recommend the Lee Classic Turret to get you going, and I wouldn't argue against it. Some will tell you that it is masochistic to load pistol ammo on a single stage press, but it certainly works. Many have done it and then added a progressive press to the loading bench later. The RCBS Rock Chucker press is one that you won't want to part with even if you do get a progressive setup later.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/937...tage-press-kit

There is a $50 rebate program too.

You'd also need dies. Something like this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/373...nd-w-10mm-auto

Shell holder like this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/144...nd-w-10mm-auto

And calipers:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/119...tainless-steel

One thing about calipers is that many of them seem to be identical as if they are made by the same supplier and then branded by the various reloading gear companies. So go with an inexpensive one. I prefer dial calipers over digital.

I think a set of check weights has much to be recommended too. I use them regularly.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/212...ight-check-set

A powder trickler is also a really nice inexpensive add for those load workups where you are wanting to precisely hand weigh charges.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/169...der-trickler-2

There are some other nice-to-haves like a case cleaner, media separator, and jewel cases; but you can live without them or add them over time. I see this as a lifetime hobby.

Last edited by Taterhead; 02-07-2013 at 21:54..
Old 02-07-2013, 22:57   #14
chucky2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
Good thoughts. Here is another unsolicited, albeit repeated, thought... snip.
Taterhead: There really are two problems with me reloading:

1.) Time. I live with my two parents, both have cancer, and I work full time. Plus now that spring/summer/fall is coming, we've got landscaping coming up at our house, a new roof at my aunts, and then a 1.5 hour away lake property that needs at minimum every other weekend maintenance. On top of that, I've committed to lose about 90 lbs. this year, so every night after working and the parents, I put in an hour to two of exercise. I probably could find the time, but honestly, I just don't have the heart for it. Then there's #2...

2.) Space. My parents both have inherited furniture and bulky things that neither will part with. Our tri-level is literally full up (not Hoarders full up, but, as full up as one can get and still have the house look presentable) with....stuff....and I have no room to put a reloading setup.

If/When I get my own place, I will have a reloading setup like you've linked up there. Heck, I'll probably have a gun only room. Right now though, it's just too much all things considered. I'm stuck buying the 10mm retail, which is where I hope the .22 conversion will help me out. The other nice thing about the .22 conversion is, I can put it on, and take my parents shooting. Even in their weakend state (they're actually doing very good for what they each have) they can shoot .22. Will be so much more enjoyable for them.

I've got a Gun folder on my PC, have saved your links for when I'm ready to go that route. Appreciate it!

Chuck

Last edited by chucky2; 02-07-2013 at 22:59..
Old 02-07-2013, 23:01   #15
chucky2

Not to derail my own thread, but, is there like a known kit that one needs to clean and maintain their Glock? All I will have when I get it is whatever comes with the LE kit (GSSF purchase) and whatever comes with the Froglube kit I just ordered off Amazon (just the lube and a microfiber towel I think in that). Is that all I'll need or should I get other stuff?

Chuck
Old 02-07-2013, 23:15   #16
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Quote:
Taterhead: There really are two problems with me reloading:

1.) Time. I live with my two parents, both have cancer, and I work full time. Plus now that spring/summer/fall is coming, we've got landscaping coming up at our house, a new roof at my aunts, and then a 1.5 hour away lake property that needs at minimum every other weekend maintenance. On top of that, I've committed to lose about 90 lbs. this year, so every night after working and the parents, I put in an hour to two of exercise. I probably could find the time, but honestly, I just don't have the heart for it. Then there's #2...

2.) Space. My parents both have inherited furniture and bulky things that neither will part with. Our tri-level is literally full up (not Hoarders full up, but, as full up as one can get and still have the house look presentable) with....stuff....and I have no room to put a reloading setup.

If/When I get my own place, I will have a reloading setup like you've linked up there. Heck, I'll probably have a gun only room. Right now though, it's just too much all things considered. I'm stuck buying the 10mm retail, which is where I hope the .22 conversion will help me out. The other nice thing about the .22 conversion is, I can put it on, and take my parents shooting. Even in their weakend state (they're actually doing very good for what they each have) they can shoot .22. Will be so much more enjoyable for them.

I've got a Gun folder on my PC, have saved your links for when I'm ready to go that route. Appreciate it!

Chuck
Chuck, you have a very full plate! I wish the best for your parents. That is a tough deal. It is great that you are there for your folks. A little "lead therapy" can boost the soul. Sending lead down range always gets me in a better mood. Great plan.

Great weight loss goal. Getting fit feels darned good. I am more fit in my 40s than I was at age 30, by a long way! I am looking forward to a rare day off tomorrow for some skiing with my wife.

Quick tip, I always find that I am more motivated to workout today if I worked out yesterday. It is weird how that works. I am least motivated to work out when I have a day or two off. So I workout almost every day. Big fan of Tony Horton's routines. Also, when I am working out daily, I do not crave crappy food. Double benefit. Everybody has a different motivation, but for me exercise is the crux of it all.
Old 02-07-2013, 23:22   #17
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Quote:
Not to derail my own thread, but, is there like a known kit that one needs to clean and maintain their Glock? All I will have when I get it is whatever comes with the LE kit (GSSF purchase) and whatever comes with the Froglube kit I just ordered off Amazon (just the lube and a microfiber towel I think in that). Is that all I'll need or should I get other stuff?

Chuck
Get any .40 cal cleaning kit that has a brash bore brush. The plastic one that came with your Glock is crap. Get a big ol' bag of patches of the right size. I like Hoppe's #9 for my Glocks since I don't shoot much lead, and it doesn't stink too badly like some solvents do. Gun oil should come with your cleaning kit.

To detail strip your gun, you can get a Glock tool. I have found that a nail punch works fine too. For detail cleaning a little rubbing alcohol and Q-Tips works pretty good for all of the small areas. Just don't let any of the cotton fuzz remain in the striker channel and so forth.

Consult youtube for many walk-throughs for how to detail strip the Glock.
Old 02-07-2013, 23:55   #18
chucky2

Quote:
Chuck, you have a very full plate! I wish the best for your parents. That is a tough deal. It is great that you are there for your folks. A little "lead therapy" can boost the soul. Sending lead down range always gets me in a better mood. Great plan.
It's not that bad really. They are fairly self sufficient so really, for now at least, it is far less stressful than it'd seem. But yeah, I - and they - are looking forward to going shooting. Mom even is getting her FOID (needed in IL many times). Crazy...

Quote:
Great weight loss goal. Getting fit feels darned good. I am more fit in my 40s than I was at age 30, by a long way! I am looking forward to a rare day off tomorrow for some skiing with my wife.

Quick tip, I always find that I am more motivated to workout today if I worked out yesterday. It is weird how that works. I am least motivated to work out when I have a day or two off. So I workout almost every day. Big fan of Tony Horton's routines. Also, when I am working out daily, I do not crave crappy food. Double benefit. Everybody has a different motivation, but for me exercise is the crux of it all.
I actually was doing really good 3 years ago, right before my dad got diagnosed. Got a kidney stone though, put me out of commission for a bit and then it was summer...and I just slacked off. Then I slacked off on the eating and drinking good, and, I'm right back or worse than I was. If I can only get 2 weeks straight of gumption, I know I'll be right back into it. Need to go get embarrassed at a bar or something haha.

Quote:
Get any .40 cal cleaning kit that has a brash bore brush. The plastic one that came with your Glock is crap. Get a big ol' bag of patches of the right size. I like Hoppe's #9 for my Glocks since I don't shoot much lead, and it doesn't stink too badly like some solvents do. Gun oil should come with your cleaning kit.

To detail strip your gun, you can get a Glock tool. I have found that a nail punch works fine too. For detail cleaning a little rubbing alcohol and Q-Tips works pretty good for all of the small areas. Just don't let any of the cotton fuzz remain in the striker channel and so forth.

Consult youtube for many walk-throughs for how to detail strip the Glock.
Ok, sounds good! Where would you go for the .40 cal cleaning kit? MidwayUSA or something like that?

Chuck

Last edited by chucky2; 02-07-2013 at 23:55..
Old 02-10-2013, 23:13   #19
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Quote:
Ok, sounds good! Where would you go for the .40 cal cleaning kit? MidwayUSA or something like that?

Chuck
Midway, or your local gun store - or even Walmart. You don't need anything fancy.
Old 02-10-2013, 23:17   #20
chucky2

Quote:
Midway, or your local gun store - or even Walmart. You don't need anything fancy.
Ok, when I pickup my G20 I'll get one there. I'm sure they'll have it, they're pretty big (unless the craze has cleaned them out).