Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-06-2013, 20:06   #1
brokenprism

Best Choice for Aftermarket Barrel?

I have nothing against the factory barrel in my new Gen 3 G23, but if I were to drink the 'match grade' barrel Koolaid, what would be the best choice? Storm Lake? Lone Wolf? KKM? Is price an indicator of the barrel's place in the pecking order, or not necessarily?

Also, I once contemplated trying to wring a little more velocity by adding a little more barrel -- I gather there is such a thing as an 'extended' barrel for a Glock 23, but would I achieve the same thing by buying threaded and getting another ~1/2" of pipe for those expanding gases? Granted, it poses holster issues -- I like closed bottom : )

Thanks
brokenprism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 20:13   #2
G26S239
NRA Patron

I like the KKMs. I have not tried Lone Wolf or Storm Lake.
Old 05-06-2013, 20:58   #3
SGT278ACR
Retired Veteran

My first and only after market barrel is a Lone Wolf 40-9 for my G22. I bought Lone Wolf for the price. It has worked just fine for over a year now. Seems like quality workmanship to me. Match grade.
SGT278ACR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 21:08   #4
RacingGLOCK35
Iceman Killeth

Send a message via AIM to RacingGLOCK35
KKM, Barsto, or Storm Lake...

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
GOTOD #0122
G17, O.D. G17, G19, G22, G17 RTF, G26, G27, G23, G35, G34, G24
USP COMPACT 9, P2000 SK
SIG 2022, 226, 229, 220 SAS

LWRC PSD, Noveske Recce Light, POF PDW
RacingGLOCK35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 21:20   #5
SJ 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingGLOCK35 View Post
KKM, Barsto, or Storm Lake...

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
You left out Jarvis. SJ 40
SJ 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 22:26   #6
brokenprism

I asked a question that's probably been asked a million times, so thanks for your patience. I did a little reading and KKM seems to come out near the top. I think they're near the top price-wise. Bar Sto also ranks high, but may require fitting, which is out of the question for me -- looking for a drop-in option.

I also realize that the degrees of accuracy are difficult to quantify. I shoot good some day, bad others, and another barrel won't change that. The key is practice and mastery of fundamentals.

What do you think about the threaded barrels and the extra half inch you get with that? It is usable, rifled barrel, right? The rifling doesn't end at the slide...? That might add a few fps to the velocity of the 180 gr loads I prefer, which can't hurt.

Last edited by brokenprism; 05-06-2013 at 22:40..
brokenprism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:22   #7
spacemonkey

I have had good luck with both Storm Lake and Lone Wolf. I think both are generally more accurate than stock barrels, but as you said, some times difficult to quantify. I bought these barrels to convert my G32 to 9mm and .40 respectively not necessarily for a strict upgrade.

I did have one minor problem with the Storm Lake on the first outing. Had a pretty bad jam that required a hard slam to unjam it. But there were alot of variables that day. Using an old G17 mag I got God knows when, using JHP (Thats all the range had for range ammo), and was benchresting on that extended mag.

I have since bought new G19 mags and run 500 rds of FMJ thru the Storm Lake with no problems.
spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:47   #8
Bello
America/Italia

KKM and Lone Wolf are what I have no probs with either
Old 05-07-2013, 03:58   #9
barth
six barrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenprism View Post
I have nothing against the factory barrel in my new Gen 3 G23, but if I were to drink the 'match grade' barrel Koolaid, what would be the best choice? Storm Lake? Lone Wolf? KKM? Is price an indicator of the barrel's place in the pecking order, or not necessarily?

Also, I once contemplated trying to wring a little more velocity by adding a little more barrel -- I gather there is such a thing as an 'extended' barrel for a Glock 23, but would I achieve the same thing by buying threaded and getting another ~1/2" of pipe for those expanding gases? Granted, it poses holster issues -- I like closed bottom : )

Thanks
I have had good luck with Storm Lake (have five of them).
In my hands they are noticeably more accurate that OEM and feed anything.
I've got two Bar-Sto barrels.
But neither is 100% reliable with hollow point ammo.

Extended barrels will give you more velocity.
Whether it's threaded or not makes no difference.
The exception is an extended ported barrel where the ports
will reduce the velocity a little. I usually consider it about a wash.

Thing is all barrels are unique.
Some 4" barrels actually have better velocity than some 5".
In the end only a chronograph and your gun will tell the real story.

KKM, Storm Lake and Lone Wolf are forum favorites.
KKM and Storm Lake may have better finishes.
But IMHO any of the three will serve you well.

Good Luck

Last edited by barth; 05-07-2013 at 03:58..
barth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:12   #10
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Quote:
I asked a question that's probably been asked a million times, so thanks for your patience. I did a little reading and KKM seems to come out near the top. I think they're near the top price-wise. Bar Sto also ranks high, but may require fitting, which is out of the question for me -- looking for a drop-in option.
Wrong! You get from Bar-Sto Precision exactly what you order. Besides, the necessity to do a, 'little fitting' is absolutely essential if you want to have the most accurate barrel you can install in a Glock. Less fitting = less accuracy!

Years ago I used to have a local gunsmith fit my Bar-Sto barrels for me. Then, one day, I suddenly realized that I could do a better job of fitting a pistol barrel than that borderline alcoholic ever could. If you're good with a Dremel Tool, then, use it. If your dremeling skills are only typical, then, get yourself a couple of fine and extra fine diamond-grit knife sharpening files, and use them instead.

It isn't common knowledge, yet; but a few years ago Bar-Sto Precision came out with a barrel fitting video that I understand is, both, reasonably priced and very well done.

Quote:
I also realize that the degrees of accuracy are difficult to quantify. I shoot good some days, bad others, and another barrel won't change that. The key is practice and mastery of fundamentals.
We, all, shoot better on some days than others! The truth is that some pistol barrel designs lend themselves well to greater accuracy AND control than others. Personally, I've never seen better accuracy from a Bar-Sto barrel over a stock Glock factory barrel. (There's only so much you can do with anybody's plastic pistol.) Each seems to shoot about the same. What the Bar-Sto barrels I use do give me, though, is greater control over a rapid shot string than I, otherwise, might have.

Quote:
What do you think about the threaded barrels and the extra half inch you get with that? It is usable, rifled barrel, right? The rifling doesn't end at the slide...? That might add a few fps to the velocity of the 180 gr loads I prefer, which can't hurt.
Yes, all pistol barrels are completely rifled from the shoulder (leade area) at the front of the chamber to the very end of the muzzle. Yes, again, a longer pistol barrel does provide a measurable increased in velocity; but it might not be much; and a lot depends on, both, the bullet's AND the barrel's diameter. (You need a good tight match!) If I were shooting a sharp recoiling pistol like the 40 caliber (?) that you're using, then, I'd definitely be using an extended AND muzzle-ported barrel, too. Like this:

General Glocking
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:16   #11
JBP55

For a budget barrel go Lone Wolf but I prefer KKM barrels.
JBP55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:27   #12
F106 Fan

Unless you have a Ransom Rest, I don't see how you can really compare barrels. All of the shot variation due to sight picture and trigger control needs to be removed.

I went with the KKM barrel to shoot lead. Yes, I know my Glock barrel didn't really foul but I changed barrels anyway.

If you intend to shoot lead reloads, do your homework on the 'match' chambers. A lead round is, by definition, 0.001" larger in diameter than a jacketed round. According to SAAMI, there is only 0.001" clearance between a minimum chamber and a maximum round and that clearance disappears when you shoot lead. The least little tolerance problem and lead reloads won't chamber. All of which is a long way of getting to the reason I bought KKM.

Richard
Old 05-07-2013, 07:37   #13
Spike32

I use both Storm Lake and Lone Wolf. Both very accurate and operate flawlessly.
!

Spike32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:41   #14
tbob38

I have LW and KKM. No difference that I can tell except for that somewhat ugly wolf logo on LW barrels.

Last edited by tbob38; 05-07-2013 at 07:42..
tbob38 is offline   Reply With Quote