Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-05-2013, 17:30   #1
ditto1958

Glock says to clean before shooting...

Glock says in their manuals to clean a new Glock before shooting it. So why is this still debated so much? About the most common one I read is to fire it 250 rounds first, and then clean it.

Frankly, from all the videos I've seen where people intentionally abuse and torture Glocks, it probably makes little or no difference what you do.

On the other hand, I just don't see why someone would intentionally abuse something that cost $500-600, and that also might be something they need to depend on to save a life.
ditto1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 17:34   #2
barth
six barrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditto1958 View Post
Glock says in their manuals to clean a new Glock before shooting it. So why is this still debated so much? About the most common one I read is to fire it 250 rounds first, and then clean it.

Frankly, from all the videos I've seen where people intentionally abuse and torture Glocks, it probably makes little or no difference what you do.

On the other hand, I just don't see why someone would intentionally abuse something that cost $500-600, and that also might be something they need to depend on to save a life.
Early on I used to just buy a gun.
Load it and shoot it.
Just didn't know any better and never had a problem.

These days I clean and lube any new gun before I shoot it.
And I carry all my handguns.

Last edited by barth; 02-05-2013 at 17:34..
barth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 17:35   #3
mrsurfboard
The Anti-Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditto1958 View Post

Agree x1000
some people are just really stupid
Old 02-05-2013, 18:22   #4
robhic
Platinum Membership
WOLVERINE!!!!

Don't feel bad or alone. I always clean, too. With the Glocks, just don't clean the copper-colored paste stuff (type of never seize...) and let it just wear off.

Clean and lube as much as you want.

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
robhic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 18:26   #5
bigtimelarry

All you need to do is pop out the barrel spray it down with Ballistol let it soak for 10 minutes and reun a few wet patches thru it and 2 dry patches. Put oil on the barrel where it needs to be and your done. When they say you need to clean it when it's new they are talking about the barrel, sometimes there's grease or other assy stuff can get in there etc. So it's a good idea to start with a clean barrel. Dont touch anything else, leave the copper grease and go put 200 rounds thru it to break it in, then you can strip it apart and go thru it if you want.
bigtimelarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 18:40   #6
clarkz71

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtimelarry View Post
So it's a good idea to start with a clean barrel. Dont touch anything else, leave the copper grease and go put 200 rounds thru it to break it in, then you can strip it apart and go thru it if you want.
This is my method.
G23 gen3 .40/.357 Sig
Florida Glocker #1923
clarkz71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 18:41   #7
tonyparson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtimelarry View Post
All you need to do is pop out the barrel spray it down with Ballistol let it soak for 10 minutes and reun a few wet patches thru it and 2 dry patches. Put oil on the barrel where it needs to be and your done. When they say you need to clean it when it's new they are talking about the barrel, sometimes there's grease or other assy stuff can get in there etc. So it's a good idea to start with a clean barrel. Dont touch anything else, leave the copper grease and go put 200 rounds thru it to break it in, then you can strip it apart and go thru it if you want.
This ☝☝☝☝☝☝☝☝
Old 02-05-2013, 18:45   #8
Bruce M

I agree that following the manual is probably the best method, and since the gun is new the inside of the barrel is the focus of cleaning.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 18:53   #9
Finestkind

I clean any gun before firing it the first time. This lets me look at it first just to make sure it is ok. Never have found anything wrong but I just like to make sure.

Finestkind
Finestkind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 21:11   #10
Jim85IROC

I cleaned mine, and used small amounts of grease where the manual told me to. I shot 30 rounds and the gun was still very clean.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 22:02   #11
AustinTx

I believe that Glock would like you to make sure there is no obstruction, in the bore. There could be a dirt dobber nest in there, since it left the factory. Too much grease, in the bore can also cause a KB, because it looks like an obstruction, to a speeding bullet. An oily chamber allows more force, on the breech face, because the shell case doesn't grip the chamber walls, as tightly. Remove lube from the chamber, before firing.
AustinTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 22:06   #12
Opie 1 Kenopie
Regular Guy

I'm not sure I've ever pre-cleaned mine before shooting the first time. Maybe that's why all my Glocks have been 100% reliable.

Last edited by Opie 1 Kenopie; 02-05-2013 at 22:06..
Opie 1 Kenopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 23:21   #13
SilverCity

Field strip, inspect, lube if needed, assemble, shoot.

M
Old 02-06-2013, 06:38   #14
JBP55

Always clean and lube a new gun before firing.
JBP55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:43   #15
4949shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie 1 Kenopie View Post
I'm not sure I've ever pre-cleaned mine before shooting the first time. Maybe that's why all my Glocks have been 100% reliable.
Lol....same here.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:42   #16
jdw174

I took my 19, ran a bore brush through it, followed by a mop, put it back together and shot it. Put about 200 rounds through it, then yesterday I field-stripped it, scrubbed it, lubed it, and it should be good until I feel like doing it again.
jdw174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:33   #17
Eagle1
Oh glockaholic!

i usually always clean before shooting a new glock but i just got another 17 the other day and was on my way to fireatms training. Never cleaned it and it shot really good. It is a THZ*** gen3 numbered gun too....

In God we trust, all others are checked through NCIC!
Eagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:14   #18
Vincent Black
Need a cup?

I field stripped mine, checked the barrel, and then shot it's first 100 rounds through it.

It will be a sad day for all democracy. It will be a sad day for the United States.
Vincent Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 15:43   #19
JTSmith
gfdrńł

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTx View Post
I believe that Glock would like you to make sure there is no obstruction, in the bore. There could be a dirt dobber nest in there, since it left the factory. Too much grease, in the bore can also cause a KB, because it looks like an obstruction, to a speeding bullet. An oily chamber allows more force, on the breech face, because the shell case doesn't grip the chamber walls, as tightly. Remove lube from the chamber, before firing.
All those commas make it look like William Shatner is talking.

And why does a case need to "grip" anything?
JTSmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 17:55   #20
AustinTx

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTSmith View Post
All those commas make it look like William Shatner is talking.

And why does a case need to "grip" anything?
OK, dum-mum, if you lubricate, the chamber, the case, will exert more, force, on the breech face. More, Force, in pounds, the case will, push harder, against the, breech face. Because, lube, makes stuff, slick. The case expands, against, the chamber walls, when the explosion happens. The case wall, will grip the chamber, wall, and resist pushing, to the rear, against thee breech face, if there is no lube there.
Who does it look like now?
AustinTx is offline   Reply With Quote