GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:54   #26
Bruce M

For whatever it counts rumor has it that the whistle was blown by fellow officers and of course it was other officers (Sergeants) who investigated and collected evidence against them.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:13   #27
Hoser423

No excuse for skipping the burglary, and the general sluggery going on... ADIOS !!!

But the devil's in the details on the medical/5 month old kid call. I would expect a news source to paint the most negative picture they can. In particular... do Dade officers routinely go on medical calls? Do any of your agencies have a day-in-day-out policy thats different than the "by the book" policy? Did dispatch give an update...regained consciousness, medical pros already on scene, prior medical condition causing it ?

Did the officer know he was 5+ minutes away and the paramedics were 2 away ? I absolutely haul ***** going to a life threatening medical call IF my getting there can make a difference. If I'm the 6th guy there who knows less than the first 5, is there really any hurry ?
Old 02-06-2013, 10:18   #28
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ship A'Hoy View Post
And...............
Well, they're not on patrol anymore.

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:14   #29
RyanNREMTP
Inactive/Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoser423 View Post
No excuse for skipping the burglary, and the general sluggery going on... ADIOS !!!

But the devil's in the details on the medical/5 month old kid call. I would expect a news source to paint the most negative picture they can. In particular... do Dade officers routinely go on medical calls? Do any of your agencies have a day-in-day-out policy thats different than the "by the book" policy? Did dispatch give an update...regained consciousness, medical pros already on scene, prior medical condition causing it ?

Did the officer know he was 5+ minutes away and the paramedics were 2 away ? I absolutely haul ***** going to a life threatening medical call IF my getting there can make a difference. If I'm the 6th guy there who knows less than the first 5, is there really any hurry ?

I know of more than a few police departments that respond on medical calls involving children just to make sure it wasn't caused by abuse.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:21   #30
huskerbuttons

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBO View Post
Well, they're not on patrol anymore.
I guess that means they were promoted.
huskerbuttons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:53   #31
BigSpenda864

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M View Post
For whatever it counts rumor has it that the whistle was blown by fellow officers and of course it was other officers (Sergeants) who investigated and collected evidence against them.
It looks that way. I guess other officers got tired of it and decided to make it an issue. I can't say as I blame them. I am not sure how I would deal with it if I knew of this kind of behavior. Sometimes it's easier to ignore the problem than get in the middle of it.

I can see not rushing to an medical call if you have no real training and will just be another by-standard. We are sometimes notified to EMS runs just in case we are close and can be of assistance but with a young child I would certainly head that way just to see if I could be of some help.
BigSpenda864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 13:00   #32
BigSpenda864

I've seen officers slow rolling a hot call. It's usually the guys or gals who are scared. There's always a couple in every department I guess.

I remember one time there was a big fight in progress outside a local bar and when I got about half a block away there was this officer just sitting at a red light at 1:00am with no traffic anywhere. I just hit the blues and went around her followed by our supervisor. She said afterward that she didn't think she was authorized to run code so she was waiting for the light to change. I asked her why she just didn't turn right on red and then turn into the parking lot of the bar so she wouldn't have to bust the light or turn on her lights... I'm still waiting for a reply.
Old 02-06-2013, 14:31   #33
Lord

I "back the blue"

Seriously. You guys have a tough job and I thank you for it. Sadly, however, some of you are bigger criminals than, well, other criminals.

It's unfortunate that it takes over 2 years or more to fire the unfits from jobs they should have never had.
Old 02-06-2013, 14:33   #34
Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanNREMTP View Post
I know of more than a few police departments that respond on medical calls involving children just to make sure it wasn't caused by abuse.
not just that, but in all seriousness... if the call comes in on your radio, you respond!!!

you can second guess the call all day and night for the next ten years, but it doesn't mean ignore the call because you don't want to go or don't think it's your responsibility to go.

If dispatch dispatches you, YOU GO
Old 02-06-2013, 14:54   #35
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
not just that, but in all seriousness... if the call comes in on your radio, you respond!!!

you can second guess the call all day and night for the next ten years, but it doesn't mean ignore the call because you don't want to go or don't think it's your responsibility to go.

If dispatch dispatches you, YOU GO
Amen brother and if the supervisor wants to cancel you let them do it go to the calls you're dispatched .

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 02-06-2013, 15:59   #36
Kingarthurhk
Isaiah 53:4-9

Quote:
Originally Posted by x_out86 View Post
I think we have all had the displeasure of working with individuals such as these at some point unfortunately. The sad truth is that there will always be "officers" like this and they will need to be dealt with. Its just a shame that it gets to this extent before something is done about it.
Yeah...I knew a guy who, durring a day shift who unbuttoned his uniform shirt and racked out. Not the best thing to do under most circumstance, but a really bad thing to do durring a day shift. All the brass work durring the days. Sure enough, they rolled up on him.

The guy got fired twice for various things. The second time stuck.
Old 02-06-2013, 18:12   #37
CW Mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSpenda864 View Post
I've seen officers slow rolling a hot call. It's usually the guys or gals who are scared. There's always a couple in every department I guess.

I remember one time there was a big fight in progress outside a local bar and when I got about half a block away there was this officer just sitting at a red light at 1:00am with no traffic anywhere. I just hit the blues and went around her followed by our supervisor. She said afterward that she didn't think she was authorized to run code so she was waiting for the light to change. I asked her why she just didn't turn right on red and then turn into the parking lot of the bar so she wouldn't have to bust the light or turn on her lights... I'm still waiting for a reply.
I have caught up to and passed marked units rolling Code Zero to hot calls when I started 10+ miles and 5 minutes behind them. Its disgusting, and to be honest - terrifying to think that if I get in DEEP, that some of the people I'm gonna be screaming for help from are too effing afraid to go.

Sad thing is, these cowards promote faster than the people with real guts. Of course anyone with more than 2 days on the road realizes this ... but still, I need to rant/vent.
CW Mock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 19:38   #38
Bruce M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoser423 View Post

But the devil's in the details on the medical/5 month old kid call. ....

They should have had an ambu bag, automatic defibrillator (perhaps not for a five year old) some stuff to stop serious bleeding and the training to do those kinds of first aid activities that can save a life prior to Fire Rescue arriving. If Rescue or another unit arrives the responding officer can be/usually is slowed down.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 20:31   #39
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

Quote:
We all know guys like this and supervisors that allow it to occur. We have a handful of those folks at my job and everyone knows who they are, what they do, and who their bosses are that allow it, and yet they're allowed to continue. Good on these folks for bringing it to light. We've got plenty of drones and dead weight in this job.

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 20:54   #40
bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmac45 View Post
Departments actively, agressively recruit minorities. The give them preferential treatment in MANY aspects of the hiring process. Such behavior including and especially overlooking aspects of the background investigations which would disqualify a white male.

Why then shouldn't these hirees feel like teflon dons? They know that their presence is fulfilling minority quotas established by the courts to "make things fair". Of course they don't worry about being punished.

It is a system of malfeasance and poor judgements on behalf of the hiring agencies which will absolutely result in a culture of under performing / corrupt police officers.

I see no changing of these standards and trends in the future. As you can see they are moving up the ranks to supervisory positions wherein the culture of protecting these slackers and miscreants has become so firmly entrenched as to be insurmountable.

Have I mentioned recently how happy and relieved I am to be retired?
You should run for congress!!!

There are lazy ****s in every profession Look at our president for example

I worked a trucking company when I was young (teamsters)
Laziest folks I have ever seen. I was a casual.
I have had 2x4s thrown at me for working to hard...

One night on the shift before me one of the guys had a massive heart attack in a trailer and died!
half way through the shift someone finally noticed he had not moved and checked on him...
The guy sat there for 3-4 hours dead and no one thought it was strange he had not moved..... they thought he was just reading the paper like normal!

I think most people know cops like this are the exception not the rule, that's why it makes the news when it happens.
Old 02-06-2013, 22:20   #41
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

These guys have no business being in uniform anyway if they are too lazy to respond to emergent medical calls involving infants. We roll hot to those calls whenever there is a medical involving certain classes of people who are deemed to be high at-risk.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 23:29   #42
WarCry

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamen1999 View Post
There are some of us non LE types that know the media can't be trusted. We know that there are more LEOs who do an excellent job than there are dirt bags in uniform. Thanks for doing what you do.
I don't know that it's necessarily an anti-cop bias. I'm sure there's plenty of that, too, but let's face it, bad news makes for better news. Everyone complains about it, but those same complainers are the ones demanding 24/7 coverage of tragedies.

As for bad cops, I used to live across the street from one (he moved). This is a guy that nearly everyone I know knew the name, and other cops I know would hear that I lived near him and would simply say "sorry." I know a few folks who ONLY had interactions with this officer, and therefore hated all the city cops because of the impression he left.

Frankly, I look at it the same as anyone else - I'll be polite and give the benefit to anyone until they give me a reason not to. As far as police officers, it takes a hell of a lot for one of them to lose my respect, because I know a fraction of the crap they (you guys) deal with.

I don't let the few bad apples spoil my view of the barrel.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:25   #43
Officer X

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSpenda864 View Post

0100 bar fight/drunks...lights and siren go on at least 2 blocks away. Problem takes care of itself. Roll in and lock up the losers if they stick around.....lol

Last edited by Officer X; 02-07-2013 at 07:27..
Officer X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 18:20   #44
phuzz01

Send a message via AIM to phuzz01
Quote:
They should have had an ambu bag, automatic defibrillator (perhaps not for a five year old) some stuff to stop serious bleeding and the training to do those kinds of first aid activities that can save a life prior to Fire Rescue arriving. If Rescue or another unit arrives the responding officer can be/usually is slowed down.
Ha! I am issued a first aid kit with three or four pieces of gauze and a roll of tape. And my medical training consists of a CPR cert from the police academy that expired nine years ago. When we get notified of medical calls, I am happy to head that way if requested and lend a hand to the EMTs on scene. But for the most part, I am little more than another bystander to get in the way...
phuzz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:36   #45
BigSpenda864

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer X View Post
0100 bar fight/drunks...lights and siren go on at least 2 blocks away. Problem takes care of itself. Roll in and lock up the losers if they stick around.....lol
So true. They scramble when the five o arrives. Better to let them know you're coming unless you want to step into a full on brawl.