Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-04-2013, 20:45   #1
bigtimelarry

Sunglasses Help Please !!!

Time for a new pair of prescription oakley's for shooting only. I was talking to the guy at the Oakley store and he said not to use Polarized Sunglasses for shooting because it messes with your depth perception.. Just curious what everybody wears and if they have any experience with that issue. Even if you could just type in polarized or non polarized i would appreciate it just so i can see what the percentages are. Thanks in Advance.
bigtimelarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 21:01   #2
The Fed

I see no difference and I have polarized Ray-Bans. Same manufacturer. I guess you know virtually all glasses are made by only one company?
The Fed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 21:07   #3
Cubdriver

I wouldn't get anything other than polarized sunglasses. I've been wearing them for years - flying, shooting, driving - and they've never caused any issues with depth perception that I've been able to notice.

-Pat
Old 02-04-2013, 21:11   #4
Stlbrian

I use my Oakley Ten's with polarized lenses when shooting outdoors, and love them. Once I got used to the polarized lenses, it was impossible for me to go to non polarized. Shooting indoors, and the black lenses are to dark for my liking though.
Old 02-04-2013, 21:23   #5
Mountain10mm

Polarized all the way. Just a few months ago, one of my kids stepped on my sunglasses and scratched the lens. I shot for a few months with a different lens and couldn't stand it. Right before SHOT show I replaced the polarized lens anticipating some time on the range for Media Day. Life was good again.
Mountain10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 21:30   #6
bigtimelarry

That's what i want to hear. I just didn't want to pop 450 bucks if there's something i'm missing. To tell you the truth I never even thought about a depth perception problem til the salesman told me about it.
Old 02-04-2013, 22:02   #7
.264 magnum
CLM Number 121
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtimelarry View Post
Time for a new pair of prescription oakley's for shooting only. I was talking to the guy at the Oakley store and he said not to use Polarized Sunglasses for shooting because it messes with your depth perception.. Just curious what everybody wears and if they have any experience with that issue. Even if you could just type in polarized or non polarized i would appreciate it just so i can see what the percentages are. Thanks in Advance.
Polarized sunglasses cause depth perception issues for me in two instances - when snow skiing in flat light (cloudy days or in the shade) and when looking at LCD instrumentation guages in bright sunshine.

I wear polarized glasses 95% of the time.

Last edited by .264 magnum; 02-04-2013 at 22:02..
.264 magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 15:56   #8
bigtimelarry

I shoot mostly Steel challenge and USPSA and I didn't want to have any problems with depth perception issues. Last thing I need is Sunglasses slowing me down more..
Old 02-05-2013, 16:44   #9
RonS

Polarized Ray Ban Aviators in brown. Wouldn't have anything else. There could be something to what the guy says, but for me the increase in contrast, clarity and the ability to penetrate glare is more important.
Old 02-05-2013, 16:51   #10
*ASH*

polarized is best , but you might have to pick a poison
Old 02-05-2013, 17:00   #11
Black&TAN

Just scored a pair of prescription Straight Jackets, polarized without mirror coating.
I agree it messes with reading LCD panels, depending on angle. Have yet to take to the range, will be sure to report if any significant issues.

sent via Tapatalk
Black&TAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 17:57   #12
Paul53
Geezer Boomer

Hard to find a pilot that doesn't wear polarized. If they mess with depth perception that bad, there would be a lot more scrap aluminum around.
Absolutely get UV protection! All sun glasses cause your pupils to dilate. If the glasses don't block UV, the dilated pupils now are letting in much more of the damaging UV rays.

Paul53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sunglasses