Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-04-2013, 19:48   #1
Restless28

Refocusing Preps

I'm in the process of selling off my AK to focus more on silver, food, water, and debt.

It's tough to let it go, but I have a Mosin and a 10/22 for rifle work.

I ordered a Big Berkey today and I'm contacting a man tomorrow to till me up a new garden spot. I'm also looking into canning.

I'm also refinancing my home to free up cash each month to accelerate debt elimination and I'm buying silver coins weekly. I have stopped extra investing and supplemental insurance due to double coverage.

Thoughts?
Restless28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 20:17   #2
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless28 View Post
I'm in the process of selling off my AK to focus more on silver, food, water, and debt.

It's tough to let it go, but I have a Mosin and a 10/22 for rifle work.

I ordered a Big Berkey today and I'm contacting a man tomorrow to till me up a new garden spot. I'm also looking into canning.

I'm also refinancing my home to free up cash each month to accelerate debt elimination and I'm buying silver coins weekly. I have stopped extra investing and supplemental insurance due to double coverage.

Thoughts?
Good thinking. While we all like our guns they should actually play a small part in a person's life if SHTF. Being financially sound is every bit as important in the long run. You can't "shoot" your fresh water and you can't plant cartridges and grow an ammo tree.

As long as you can "work to your gun's capabilities" you'll do fine.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 20:41   #3
Catshooter

That sounds smart. I would also want a defensive handgun.

But yes, there is much more than firearms to survival.

Cat
Old 02-04-2013, 20:45   #4
Restless28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catshooter View Post
That sounds smart. I would also want a defensive handgun.

But yes, there is much more than firearms to survival.

Cat
Glock 19 and LCP.
Old 02-04-2013, 20:47   #5
Catshooter

Very nice.

Cat
Old 02-04-2013, 20:49   #6
Restless28

Thanks.
Old 02-04-2013, 20:53   #7
ancient_serpent

He that cannot cast away a treasure at need is in fetters.
Sounds like a good decision and I've no doubt you'll pick another one up when the time is right.
ancient_serpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 21:25   #8
Restless28

Thanks.
Old 02-04-2013, 23:08   #9
actionshooter10
CLM Number 19
Charter Lifetime Member

I guess I'll be the lone dissenter.

I love what you're doing with your preps but know you'll regret selling the AK.

It sounds like you could keep the AK and get all of the stuff done you're trying to do, albeit at a slower paste.

JMO...and congratulations
"Firearms stand next in importance to the constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence from the hour the Pilgrims landed to the present day, events, occurences and tendencies prove that to ensure peace security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable the very atmosphere of firearms anywhere restrains evil interference they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
George Washington
First President of the United States
actionshooter10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:02   #10
ArmoryDoc

There's no hurry in prepping. Don't go overboard. Get several months of food and water. Make sure you have valuable barter and settle into the idea you've prepped for a reasonable duration. Don't let prepping control you. Oh, and keep the AK. You're gonna need it.
ArmoryDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:22   #11
SFCSMITH(RET)

Only you can decide what the need is for your family, situation, and worries..

Let me say this: I understand the need for "extra cash" in the monthly budget.. BUT.. If doing a re-fi based on "financial freedom" and "debt reduction", if at all possible, stay with your current payment level, and have a shorter term. Pay the house off as soon as possible. Believe me, that is freedom.

On a side note.. I considered selling her AK a while back.. glad I didn't but they were bringing crazy money.. (Pre ban Kassnar Hungarian AKM with everything as NIB as it gets, very low serial number) I did, when we first got married, sell a couple of colts to get a leg up on the extra gear and food needed when my family responsibilities doubled overnight.

Last edited by SFCSMITH(RET); 02-05-2013 at 07:27..
SFCSMITH(RET) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:19   #12
John Rambo
Raven

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."

Any questions?
John Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:49   #13
FriarTuck

My grandparents who ran a family farm through the Depression said being out of debt is good.

Food, water, a garden, and a gun or two are important (I don't have an AK either).

Family and being right with the Lord are the priorities, IMHO. The bad guys may "win" on earth in the short run, but wind up in Hell for eternity: the Bible says those that are first will be last, and vice versa.

Some silver coins might be icing on the cake (I don't have any of those).

It sounds like you're on the right track. God bless.
FriarTuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:55   #14
quake

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
...While we all like our guns they should actually play a small part in a person's life if SHTF. Being financially sound is every bit as important in the long run. You can't "shoot" your fresh water and you can't plant cartridges and grow an ammo tree...
+1

Not necessarily saying that I'd sell an AK right now, but if my choice was between three rifles, or two rifles and a Berkey, that'd be a no-brainer choice for me personally.

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:31   #15
Akita
gone

Its about Balanced Preps and each individual situation is different based on your personal life and what you anticipate facing in the future. Certainly listen to what others think, but then take that and apply those suggestions to your specific circumstances/beliefs and make the best decision for YOU.

Sounds to me like you have a good handle on things fwiw. (whats the payback time on that lower rate refi?)
Akita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 13:11   #16
Restless28

I'm shooting for 15 years. I am also towards working on a promotion at work.
Old 02-05-2013, 13:59   #17
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless28 View Post
I'm shooting for 15 years. I am also towards working on a promotion at work.
Don't worry about it. It's not like AKs are "rare" or hard to find. Right now if you feel you don't need it then you don't need it it's that simple. Only you know your circumstances. You sound like you have a good instinct a good priorities.
The ability to make decisions at the appropriate time, for yourself and your situation, is an important survival skill.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 14:12   #18
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by quake View Post
+1

Not necessarily saying that I'd sell an AK right now, but if my choice was between three rifles, or two rifles and a Berkey, that'd be a no-brainer choice for me personally.
Of course.

But from a defensive perspective, he is choosing between almost zero rifles and one rifle, IMO.

A bolt gun or a .22lr isn't really what you want.

Prices now suck so much for buying though. You can't just tell a person to buy a $150 SKS like you used to.

But I don't know his full situation and, IMO, what really matters is a good, dependable, reliable handgun that you can carry all day every day. Defensive firearms are worthless unless you have them on you or within arms reach when you need them.

As long as THAT is covered, selling other firearms isn't such a big deal.

Counter point: 'Nobody ever secured their liberty with a handgun', as I have been told. But that's a different topic than S/P, really.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)

Last edited by Warp; 02-05-2013 at 14:14..
Warp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 14:36   #19
Happypuppy

Sounds good. Make sure you add some barter items, I see the dollar very weak moving forward and trades common. Maybe hold on some of the extra AK mags if you have them. Booze and cigarettes are always good.
Happypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 16:28   #20
actionshooter10
CLM Number 19
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quake View Post
+1

Agreed.

I just think that there's a better chance of him needing the ak than the silver and that if he needs the silver, he'll probably need the ak...

He could probably buy the Berkey with the money for the silver.
"Firearms stand next in importance to the constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence from the hour the Pilgrims landed to the present day, events, occurences and tendencies prove that to ensure peace security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable the very atmosphere of firearms anywhere restrains evil interference they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
George Washington
First President of the United States

Last edited by actionshooter10; 02-05-2013 at 16:29..
actionshooter10 is offline   Reply With Quote