Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-04-2013, 21:23   #21
westy39

We were taught to shoot for the head or the pelvis due to body armor. It is a normal part of a shooting drill. We also shot weak hand for part of the drill in order to qualify. Just my thoughts from the Big Sky Country, Montana.
westy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 21:41   #22
Texcowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc Angel View Post
Ahh, the average soldier DOES NEED a manual safety. They needed them in past wars; and they're going to need them in future wars, too. (It's just that, the way things are going, they're not going to have them!)

Hey! See that target? Anybody know where I can get about 50 of them? (I see Ayoob's, 'pelvic girdle shots' are back in vogue.)
If the British and the Iraqis can use the Glock then our guys can also. An American has a good chance of being exposed to handguns before entering the Military while a British subject does not.

NRA Life Member

G20SF, G29SF, G32 GEN 4, G33, G21SF RTF2, G30SF, G36, G19
Texcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 21:56   #23
SPIN2010
Searching ...

nutz box shot ... it would never stop our politicians.
SPIN2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 22:02   #24
xsam138

I recently bought a 23. Standing at the counter with me were two Rangers from 2nd Bat. They said there sniper teams were carrying Glock 22's, as were other spec ops teams. The 9 (even with there non nato/le/civ loads were creating to many bad guy not going down, and the .40 was being used in with much more confidence .. and it was doing its job better, much better.

They were picking up G27's ..

this is all heresay. I was 1/509th, .. and chatted it up with them for a bit.
xsam138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 22:22   #25
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texcowboy View Post
If the British and the Iraqis can use the Glock then our guys can also. An American has a good chance of being exposed to handguns before entering the Military while a British subject does not.
Yeah, the United States has so much respect for the Iraqis that we've been arming pro USA local police forces with S&W Sigmas. (What could be more caring than that!)

Modern warfare is, increasingly, all about dying for your country. Cheap polymer pistols go a long way toward realizing that goal. The question you've raised is not so much one about, 'can you' as it is about, 'should you'.

Ergo: I'm, now, the proud owner of 3 Glock pistols that I may not be able to, either, locate or purchase new fully functional extractors for.
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 22:55   #26
Opie 1 Kenopie
Regular Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsam138 View Post
I recently bought a 23. Standing at the counter with me were two Rangers from 2nd Bat. They said there sniper teams were carrying Glock 22's, as were other spec ops teams. The 9 (even with there non nato/le/civ loads were creating to many bad guy not going down, and the .40 was being used in with much more confidence .. and it was doing its job better, much better.

They were picking up G27's ..

this is all heresay. I was 1/509th, .. and chatted it up with them for a bit.
Oh, you're going to burn on GT for THAT one! Too many 9mm Fanboys here! I, for one, would carry a 9 if its all I could get but for CCW when my family's safety is in the line... it's .40, .45 or most often the 10mm Glocks that see the most carry time around here.

Last edited by Opie 1 Kenopie; 02-04-2013 at 22:56..
Opie 1 Kenopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:25   #27
JBP55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie 1 Kenopie View Post
Oh, you're going to burn on GT for THAT one! Too many 9mm Fanboys here! I, for one, would carry a 9 if its all I could get but for CCW when my family's safety is in the line... it's .40, .45 or most often the 10mm Glocks that see the most carry time around here.

Ask Doctor Roberts for his opinion on the subject.
JBP55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:30   #28
Seawolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartanranger View Post
That's not it at all. The military would love to have Glocks but in order to supply the US military, the design has to be open sourced. The army for example buys m-4s from several different suppliers, because they dont want the risk of one source drying up and their being left high and dry on their supply.

Glock has refused to do this, and why shouldn't they? They have more than enough business world wide and they are still backordered. Hell, everyone uses them but us.

Special Forces bypasses normal military channels for procurement; they get whatever they want with a huge budget to boot. So that is why you will see them with HK-416s, glocks, 1911s, or whatever else they feel like.
That sounds well and fine, but the real reason is the old grey haired Generals still make the decisions and they are afraid if they choose a gun without an external safety it will require more training and add more accidental discharges. SF guys get the added weapons training so they can shoot what they want, but the DOD doesn't think an 18 year old high school kid is smart enough to keep his/her booger picker off the bang button.

That and Beretta offers M9 pistols for peanuts and since the DOD already has a crap load of M9s in circulation it would just cost too much to switch.

To be honest Glock can't even handle keeping their guns in stock with the civilian market so they would need to open a new facility just for the military production. In that respect you are probably right. Beretta had to do the same thing when they got the contract. They were required to open a production facility here in the US and part of the contract stated that the M9 had to be 100% American made.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - كافر - WOLVERINES! - Rule#2 Double Tap
Seawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:57   #29
cadillacguns

I was focused on the Grunts gear, back in my days it was OD clothes and web gear, steel pot, and flack jacket....................now with the girls invited to play along, can we see some more pink holsters and hello kitty designer duds? Oh cant ask for you to tell me that!
GLOCKS #1 FAN!!!

"IN GLOCK WE TRUST"
cadillacguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:02   #30
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager4520 View Post
They still have that misconception that the average soldier needs a manual safety.
That's because the average soldier really needs a manual safety. The average officer needs 2.
Bren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:10   #31
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillacguns View Post
I was focused on the Grunts gear, back in my days it was OD clothes and web gear, steel pot, and flack jacket....................now with the girls invited to play along, can we see some more pink holsters and hello kitty designer duds? Oh cant ask for you to tell me that!
Comparing the OD fatigues days to today is like looking back at the revolutionary war. Things have advanced more, between me getting out of the Army in the 80's and coming back in 2007 than they did between WW II and When I first joined the Army in the 80's. Both equipment and tactics are entirely different now - it's only since 2001 that the military really learned anything at all about close-quarters and urban combat or started using gear and techniques half as advanced as the police and civilians.

Last edited by Bren; 02-05-2013 at 06:10..
Bren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:16   #32
carbuncle
is not cool.

Quote:
That's not it at all. The military would love to have Glocks but in order to supply the US military, the design has to be open sourced. The army for example buys m-4s from several different suppliers, because they dont want the risk of one source drying up and their being left high and dry on their supply.

Glock has refused to do this, and why shouldn't they? They have more than enough business world wide and they are still backordered. Hell, everyone uses them but us.

Special Forces bypasses normal military channels for procurement; they get whatever they want with a huge budget to boot. So that is why you will see them with HK-416s, glocks, 1911s, or whatever else they feel like.
There are multiple vendors for the M9?
Old 02-05-2013, 07:33   #33
nightstalker865

Yes, there are a couple units here at Bragg that use the G22 and G23. Which one, depends on mission requirements and load out.
nightstalker865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:41   #34
Legacy Shooters

I think the army should change to the G22 or G23. I hate the m9!!! I cc my G23 everywhere I go and just took it out to the range yesterday again and am still a dead eye with it more then any other gun i have.
Legacy Shooters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:35   #35
spcwes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawG26 View Post
Never noticed the "shoot'em in the nutz" kill box before....Very high speed and low drag...
Its made to shatter the pelvic bones. It takes the wheels out from under the target. Nice targets.

Also is good for body armor or people with stuff strapped to their chest you might not want to hit with bullets or allow them to close the distance with you.
"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American perception that each individual is accountable for his/her actions." -Ronald Reagan-

Last edited by spcwes; 02-05-2013 at 10:39..
spcwes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:45   #36
deadmanglocking

You can expect around 1.5L of blood loss for each fracture in the pelvis. A lot of major vessels and arteries pass through that area and the pelvis itself is very vascular. Plus nobody wants to get shot in the nutz.
deadmanglocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:27   #37
spartanranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbuncle View Post
There are multiple vendors for the M9?
Hmmm...you made me sit up and think on this one. Turns out no, not for the pistol, but the magazines seemed to have three different sources. Kind of confused me since the m-4s have had different suppliers.

I know Colt was the main supplier but have heard of FN guns. Now of course Remington is also making them, but that is because the contract with Colt is up...

Maybe I misunderstood and all that is required is the open source of the gun's design. After all, a lot of people make m-4 copies (ar-15s) and Taurus makes a Beretta knock off.

Anyone that can weigh in? I remember that there was a specific reason Gaston refused to participate in glock military trials here.
spartanranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 13:01   #38
Rustin

More pics!
Rustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 13:14   #39
21GlockStreet

Quote:

What about the M9? Does the military get them from anyone but Beretta? Just curious.
21GlockStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 13:26   #40
4095fanatic

In the competition held to select the M9 only pistols with external safeties were considered. GLOCK, understandably, was not going to design a whole new pistol purely for the competition

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
4095fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote