Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:08   #1
Climb14er

Email to all my friends re: Denver Police Dept, CCW,Colorado Legislature

Got a call the other day, the lead Denver PD Detective called and asked me if I want the upcoming cancelled spot for the interview for my CCW renewal. I said, yes, see you later this week! Went in, the process was routine and I asked to see the Detective to thank her. I did in fact, thank her and shared my appreciation for her acting on the Chief’s request to move up my CCW renewal interview from April 29th, to today. The Detective, a very nice person who handled my last renewal five years ago was very touched that I personally asked to see her. I told her the feeling is mutual.

Five years ago, the renewal process took two weeks! I asked the Detective how long is the process currently. She said that her renewals sent to the CBI in November have NOT cleared yet! She told me that applications for concealed carry in Denver County, the MOST liberal in all of Colorado have sky-rocketed since the Aurora Theater shooting last summer. The wait is now pushing ninety days and counting… for RENEWALS too!

If I had not contacted the Chief personally, mentioning to him that I called in five months earlier than my permit’s expiration, requesting for the possibility that my interview get moved up… I would most probably have an expired permit, even though Colorado law mandates a maximum ninety day processing limit.

The media is quick to point out every nook and cranny falsehood about legal guns and crime. The Colorado Legislature is OUT OF CONTROL with their wish list to ban elements of concealed carry. What the media does not focus on is the element of rampant crime and that criminals are the REAL problem, and not law abiding CCW permit carriers.

Why else would the lines to get an initial permit and renewal be SO long a wait time? It’s simply because people want the right to protect themselves and family from the criminals! How come the media does not talk about this?

The media (and the Legislature) in their political correctness, all they talk about are additional restrictions for legal concealed carry folks who pay their fees and taxes. It is totally abhorrent and reprehensible that the media shines only darkness on CCW permit holders rather than the positivity that legal permit holders exemplify.

If the ultra left and politically correct (or incorrect) do-gooders want to pick a battle over firearms and the Second Amendment rights of the people, let them.

For this law abiding individual and others like me, we pick the Second Amendment over any friendship with those who want to take away our Constitutional rights! Second Amendment folks around the country have taken all they can from this totally biased media and the folks like those in the Colorado legislature who want to ram their restrictions into places where the sun does not shine!

I for one and many others like me say, if the government is looking for a real political and social fight… well… they’ve got one on their hands now!

We, the legal Second Amendment folks, are simply not going to take this crap any longer! We want peace and tranquility! NOT government or criminal interference!

Have a safe weekend!
Old 02-08-2013, 11:17   #2
HKLovingIT
Resident Evil

What kinds of questions do you get asked in this interview? What all goes on?

кто пукнул здесь?
Nescio, sed foetet.

Last edited by HKLovingIT; 02-08-2013 at 11:17..
HKLovingIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:24   #3
Climb14er

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKLovingIT View Post
This is my third go-around. I had no questions asked of me. Simply submitted my paperwork, signed an additional paper or two and got my picture taken. That was it! W/O this, no CCW!
Old 02-08-2013, 11:29   #4
okie
GT Mayor

Congrats on the renewal my friend
okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:30   #5
larry_minn
Silver Membership

Yep its funny what they waste time on. I saw that the cheif of Police for Mlps, as well as many surroundig communities went to visit Obummer in DC to "stand behind him" (she couldn't even comb her hair)
So they are gone for couple days. Not a week later he (BO) is in MN meeting with them again. I am sure MILLIONS of $$$ were wasted in effort to pass unconstitutional laws....

Rather then fight crime, punish criminals.....
larry_minn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:34   #6
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb14er View Post
Five years ago, the renewal process took two weeks! I asked the Detective how long is the process currently. She said that her renewals sent to the CBI in November have NOT cleared yet! She told me that applications for concealed carry in Denver County, the MOST liberal in all of Colorado have sky-rocketed since the Aurora Theater shooting last summer. The wait is now pushing ninety days and counting… for RENEWALS too!
I am sorry, but I cannot praise the Denver Sheriff for not having permits reviewed in a timely manner.

It is Colorado law that a Sheriff has 90 days to approve or deny permits.

Note. This has NOTHING to do with an interview. They have 90 days from receiving the application to deny or approve the permit.

18-12-206. Sheriff - issuance or denial of permits - report
(1) Within ninety days after the date of receipt of the items specified in section 18-12-205, a sheriff shall:
(a) Approve the permit application and issue the permit; or
(b) Deny the permit application based solely on the ground that the applicant fails to qualify under the criteria listed in section 18-12-203 (1)

Please tell me why I should be praising an agency that is not meeting the requirements of the law?
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:37   #7
HKLovingIT
Resident Evil

Quote:
This is my third go-around. I had no questions asked of me. Simply submitted my paperwork, signed an additional paper or two and got my picture taken. That was it! W/O this, no CCW!
What about the first time?

Just curious.

Our Sheriff here has a deputy at the local state rep's office a couple nights a week. Go in and fill out the form, and he says he'll call you in about two weeks to pick it up. Didn't know other places did interviews like that.

Still, I would prefer the Arizona system.

кто пукнул здесь?
Nescio, sed foetet.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:38   #8
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaT View Post
I am sorry, but I cannot praise the Denver Sheriff for not having permits reviewed in a timely manner.

Note. This has NOTHING to do with an interview. They have 90 days from receiving the application to deny or approve the permit.

(1) Within ninety days after the date of receipt of the items specified in section 18-12-205, a sheriff shall:
(b) Deny the permit application based solely on the ground that the applicant fails to qualify under the criteria listed in section 18-12-203 (1)

Please tell me why I should be praising an agency that is not meeting the requirements of the law?
Can't you work this out in a production equation?

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:40   #9
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKLovingIT View Post
I wonder this too...

18-12-205. Sheriff - application - procedure - background check
(1) (a) To obtain a permit, a person shall submit a permit application on a statewide standardized form developed by the sheriffs and available from each sheriff. {b]The permit application form shall solicit only the following information from the applicant:[/b]
(I) The applicant's full name, date of birth, and address;
(II) The applicant's birth name, if different from the name provided pursuant to subparagraph (I) of this paragraph (a), and any other names the applicant may have used or by which the applicant may have been known;
(III) The applicant's home address or addresses for the ten-year period immediately preceding submittal of the application;
(IV) Whether the applicant is a resident of this state as of the date of application and whether the applicant has a valid driver's license or other state-issued photo identification or military order proving residence; and
(V) Whether the applicant meets the criteria for obtaining a permit specified in section 18-12-203 (1).
(b) The permit application form shall not require the applicant to waive or release a right or privilege, including but not limited to waiver or release of privileged or confidential information contained in medical records.

CRS 18-12-207.
(3) Notwithstanding any other provision of law to the contrary, at a judicial review sought pursuant to this section, the sheriff shall have the burden of proving by a preponderance of the evidence that the applicant or permittee is ineligible to possess a permit under the criteria listed in section 18-12-203 (1)

Since it is clear they can only ask for the above information, they cannot subject to disclosing any other information, and they have the burden of proof for denying a permit, exactly what do they need to ask you that you haven't already filled out on the form?
2x4=8, not 14.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:40   #10
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

"interview"? Wow. That sucks.
HerrGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:43   #11
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBO View Post
Can't you work this out in a production equation?
What exactly is a "production equation" in your mind?

Are you wanting a block flow simulation of the application process that shows where the bottleneck and then recommendations on how to speed them up? Sure, I could do it , however, the law does not require me to and puts that burden on the issuing Sheriff.
2x4=8, not 14.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:45   #12
Climb14er

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaT View Post

I know what you mean! That's why I specifically wrote the Chief and mentioned the ninety day rule. And yes, I informed the Chief that I have ninety days under Colorado law to have the application approved after submission and that they were not allowing me ample time to get things done, even though I requested the interview five months in advance.

The Chief took my suggestion and passed it on to the CCW dept. They acted on my request and called me.

I thanked the powers that be for actually RESPONDING to my letter in the first place.

What else can a person do in this day and age of anti-guns!

I remember when I first applied to the DPD years ago for a permit and they basically laughed at me as they gave almost zero permits out.

The relief I and others experienced when Colorado Legislature under a Republican Legislature passed new laws 'forcing' Denver and all counties to deliver permits when the applicant is deemed legal.

I was #25 in Denver at that time.

My letter to friends was to tell all of them, either they get behind the Second Amendment or else, they will have choose like I have done.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:51   #13
DanaT
Pharaoh

I also do not need to model anything to tell you where the problem is. It is a CHOICE to slow the process up by certain anti-gun sheriffs in the Denver area.

They choose to limit the amount of people who can apply per day by requiring "appointments" to turn in a piece of paper and get finger prints.

The sheriff where I live, its a very simple procedure. Take them the forms if you downloaded them and filled them out. Go to the counter. If you dont have them, ask and within about 7 to 17 seconds they will hand them to you to fill out. Fill out the forms and go back to counter. Of course have the check in hand. Now that you are at the counter with the complete form package, within a few minutes a deputy will come and take your finger prints.

They will call you with an approval or denial. When approved, you go back, have a picture taken, and within a few minutes they print out the ID card.

There are sheriffs around Denver that dont like HAVING to issue CCW and since the inception have always waited the maximum 90 days to issue and played games like "3 appointments per day" to turn in packets.

BTW, the counties that do this the most are (dont be shocked here) Boulder and Denver Counties.

It is a choice.
2x4=8, not 14.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:54   #14
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
What else can a person do in this day and age of anti-guns!
Move to Weld County. A very pro-gun sheriff.
2x4=8, not 14.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:06   #15
Climb14er

Dana, I'm totally in line with what you're saying. I know for a fact that Denver is NOT my friend when it comes to CCW! Denver reluctantly had to acquiesce to Colorado law when the statewide CCW laws were passed ten years ago. I also remember that Denver tried to fight it in the courts but they gave up!

The reason why I published the letter sent to my friends is to stir up the political activism at a grass roots level, to tell the country that we're not going to take this b.s. any longer.

The media and sheriffs of many counties actually detest CCW permits. In Denver and Boulder, I can understand why. In other counties like Weld, it's a breeze to get a CCW as one of my closest friends, a retired firefighter just got his from up in Frederick.

I want people to know that the Second Amendment and the right to protect oneself and family are PARAMOUNT rights!

I was straight forward in my letter to the Chief and DPD was very respectful to me.

What more can I ask for?
Old 02-08-2013, 12:14   #16
Bren
NRA Life Member

Wow. We get a paper in the mail and we take it to the sheriff's office and pick up the new card once every 5 years. The sheriff has no say, his office just takes pictures and takes money from CCWers and hands them cards from the state police.

Last edited by Bren; 02-08-2013 at 12:15..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:32   #17
DanaT
Pharaoh

CO (or at least weld county) mine was issued for 10 years. (edit...maybe I renewed about 5 years ago and forgot).

Here is a hint:

Question: I got my permit in Weld County but now live in another county and my permit is going to expire soon. What do I do?

Answer: Per Colorado Revised Statutes, you can renew with the agency that originally issued your permit. You must submit your renewal application in person. If that is not convenient, you have the option to apply for a new permit in the county that you currently reside.
2x4=8, not 14.

Last edited by DanaT; 02-08-2013 at 12:33..
Old 02-08-2013, 12:38   #18
Mountain10mm

Any word on how long Jefferson County (Colorado) renewals are taking?
Mountain10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 13:03   #19
gjk5
Pinche Gringo

OK, wait. I got lost at "interview", what in the holy hell are you talking about? They actually make you do an interview? And what, some random officer gets to make a subjective decision on whether or not to issue you a permit?

Holy hell, I had no idea. I am so glad I left that ****hole that is the front range. Denver is by far the crappiest thing about Colorado.

So seriously, what kind of questions, what is this "interview" like?
gjk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 13:24   #20
F350

I like Indiana's method (born and raised there).... Go to police if in a city or sheriff if in the county, fill out application, get finger printed send in application with check to the State Police.

YOUR GOOD FOR LIFE!!
F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 14:18   #21
HKLovingIT
Resident Evil

I like the Arizona method. Walk out front door, enjoy Constitutional rights, no permission slip required.

I want to know more about what questions OP got asked the first time around, or if anyone else has had to have this interview, what went on?

кто пукнул здесь?
Nescio, sed foetet.

Last edited by HKLovingIT; 02-08-2013 at 14:21..
Old 02-08-2013, 14:49   #22
LippCJ7

ok this is addressed to COLORADO RESIDENTS ONLY, I work in a metro area Sheriff's Office but I will be honest that some of what I tell you is second hand because as we all know there are politics involved.

It takes us 1 hour total to process all the information required for each individual permit(renewals included), this would include reviewing paperwork for inaccuracies, taking payment, photo and fingerprint and submittal to CBI. Again one hour total per application, right now we do about 40 applications per day your wait will be about 2 hours unless you get in pretty early, no appointment necessary, if you come in next week you might meet me since we have added manpower(I don't normally work CCW) in order to deal with the increased demand and my Sheriff is (rightly so) all about serving his constituents.

The log jam is at CBI, with recent increases at gun shows and gun purchase approvals (here is the second hand part) CBI has taken manpower from CCW and placed them on gun purchase approvals/denials, the time frame by law on Gun Purchase approvals is much less then the time frame for CCW, I believe the Purchase approval/deadline time frame is 9-10 days where as the CCW IS 90 days, I cannot speak for CBI but I think its fair to say they were caught off guard by the incredible demand for both Gun purchases as well as CCW's and I would be surprised if they were not working to rectify the issue.

Yes demand has slowed somewhat but I think it conservative to say that right now CCW applications are 3 times what we would consider normal.

That said personally I am sorry for the delay but its not because of your local Sheriff, that would include Denver.

As to the Interview, My Department does not interview, it is purely based on paperwork submitted by the individual, his/her background check, photo and fingerprints then CBI approval/denial.

Last edited by LippCJ7; 02-08-2013 at 14:55..
LippCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 15:04   #23
gjk5
Pinche Gringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LippCJ7 View Post
ok this is addressed to COLORADO RESIDENTS ONLY, I work in a metro area Sheriff's Office but I will be honest that some of what I tell you is second hand because as we all know there are politics involved.

It takes us 1 hour total to process all the information required for each individual permit(renewals included), this would include reviewing paperwork for inaccuracies, taking payment, photo and fingerprint and submittal to CBI. Again one hour total per application, right now we do about 40 applications per day your wait will be about 2 hours unless you get in pretty early, no appointment necessary, if you come in next week you might meet me since we have added manpower(I don't normally work CCW) in order to deal with the increased demand and my Sheriff is (rightly so) all about serving his constituents.

The log jam is at CBI, with recent increases at gun shows and gun purchase approvals (here is the second hand part) CBI has taken manpower from CCW and placed them on gun purchase approvals/denials, the time frame by law on Gun Purchase approvals is much less then the time frame for CCW, I believe the Purchase approval/deadline time frame is 9-10 days where as the CCW IS 90 days, I cannot speak for CBI but I think its fair to say they were caught off guard by the incredible demand for both Gun purchases as well as CCW's and I would be surprised if they were not working to rectify the issue.

Yes demand has slowed somewhat but I think it conservative to say that right now CCW applications are 3 times what we would consider normal.

That said personally I am sorry for the delay but its not because of your local Sheriff, that would include Denver.

As to the Interview, My Department does not interview, it is purely based on paperwork submitted by the individual, his/her background check, photo and fingerprints then CBI approval/denial.
Good to hear all that. Honestly; I understand the current backlog, demand is ridiculous right now. We have 23 women from my office taking the calss this weekend alone.

Here in my county renewal is 15 minutes (from my end, I have no idea how long it takes to process), so we are not doing badly. Our sheriff is pretty pro carry as well.

I still want to know about the interviews, I just finished meeting with one of my clients who is a local deputy and he looked at me like I was crazy when I asked if he knew what a "CCW interview" was.
gjk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 15:05   #24
voyager4520
-----

The CBI is taking longer to do everything, last I heard background checks were taking 6-8 days. I don't think it's completely caused by the rush on guns and ammo, I think the CBI is dragging their feet as well hoping to get more funding.
Old 02-08-2013, 15:08   #25
Booker

CBI did ask the State for additional $$$ to process all the additional background checks but the Dem controlled State gov said "No!"
Booker is offline   Reply With Quote