GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-04-2013, 21:07   #41
blueiron

When can cops start putting down more two legged animals? That's what I want to see.
blueiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 21:09   #42
Ftttu

I just shoot in the middle where I think most of the brain is. I sawed many an antler/skull off of a buck so I have a pretty good idea where most of the brain is in a deer. I had to put down a cow one time while it was looking at me so I shot first shot between the eyes just slightly above the line between them. That dropped its head, but it didn't turn the lights out so I had to do a second shot close by the first one which instantly did the job.

Most of the animals I've put down have been with a .40, but one deer as described above(front legs intact pulling itself along on dangling rear legs) was put down with one 9mm to the side of its head in a slightly down angle. Knowing how deer love to resurrect themselves, I put another one in its head for good measure.

Last edited by Ftttu; 02-04-2013 at 21:10..
Ftttu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 21:19   #43
GumbyDammit
Xtra CoCheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Copper View Post
I know you LOL now every time you think about that.

Outdoor Hub Campfire
Yeah, it was pretty comical if you weren't mom dad or the kids. Somewhere there's a kid who just got a D on his math test because of PTSD.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
The other night there was a loud argument in the hall outside my apartment while I was trying to sleep. I went out and told them they better leave or I was gonna use some Kung-Fu... THAT scared them off...

Plus I was totally nekkid and holding a gun.
GumbyDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 00:48   #44
Sniff

Our current live fire practice include simulated shooting of animals with the M4.

We show the cops how they need to aim three inches above the intended point of impact to allow for the difference in height of the aimpoint sight above the bore.

We've had a couple of instances of animals having their faces shot off as opposed to a clean kill, or multiple shots needed to kill. Not good PR.

I spoke to one of our officers who told me she had to shoot an injured sheep with her M4. She told me that when she fired, she thought the gun had exploded because it was so loud.

She had only ever fired on the range with the suppressed training weapons while wearing hearing and eye protection. The noise and blast of an unsuppressed M4 was something she was not prepared for.

Sniff
Sniff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:28   #45
CJStudent
Fenced In

Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniff View Post
Our current live fire practice include simulated shooting of animals with the M4.

We show the cops how they need to aim three inches above the intended point of impact to allow for the difference in height of the aimpoint sight above the bore.

We've had a couple of instances of animals having their faces shot off as opposed to a clean kill, or multiple shots needed to kill. Not good PR.

I spoke to one of our officers who told me she had to shoot an injured sheep with her M4. She told me that when she fired, she thought the gun had exploded because it was so loud.

She had only ever fired on the range with the suppressed training weapons while wearing hearing and eye protection. The noise and blast of an unsuppressed M4 was something she was not prepared for.

Sniff
Surefire EP4s FTW. Since our last firearms qual, mine just stay in my jacket pocket, for a multitude of reasons, even though I work inside the fence.

Quote:
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:44   #46
Sniff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJStudent View Post
Surefire EP4s FTW. Since our last firearms qual, mine just stay in my jacket pocket, for a multitude of reasons, even though I work inside the fence.
I gave her a few sets of disposable ear plugs to go in the latex glove pouch on her belt.
Sniff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:19   #47
lndshark

No shotguns here. Have had to put down a few deer with more than one round of (then) Gold Dot .40 S&W. Policy states long guns are not permitted for dispatching animals (scratching head)...

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 02-05-2013, 08:53   #48
indigent
Bamboozled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahr_Glockman View Post
I have slit a deer's throat before.
That works too......
Old 02-05-2013, 09:25   #49
scottydl

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-1 View Post
As odd as it sounds, if this is an ongoing issue in your area try putting in a call to California Highway Patrol Headquarters in Sacramento. They publish a manual, complete with diagrams, showing where (shot placement) and how to put down just about every kind of injured animal you may encounter.
Now THIS would be helpful. I personally would have no idea where to shoot most animals. Most guys I work with are hunters, so chances are the decision would not be left to me... but still good info to know.

Any idea who/where to contact at CHP? I'm guessing their headquarters has at least a couple hundred extensions.
scottydl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:46   #50
pgg00

Chp has a "publishing office" you should be able to contact. It also supplies all the traffic forms to CA agencies.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

WiskyT :whistling:
There's nothing like the fact that you can take educated professionals with everything on the line and add a little booze and they act like juniors in HS.
pgg00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 18:41   #51
Sheepdog689
NRA Life Member

Click each image to enlarge.

Cop Talk

Cop Talk

Cop Talk

Last edited by Sheepdog689; 02-05-2013 at 18:42..
Sheepdog689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:36   #52
Bruce M

Apparently some spots in the deer's head are far better than others. I watched my Dad dispatch several deer using 158 grain lead ball from a Chief's Special and the deer seemed to expire about instantly.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote