SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-04-2013, 00:56   #1
Butcher
NRA Life Member

S&W M&P 9mm full size flub

Got a chance to shoot my buddy's dad's new M&P 9mm today. Don't like the trigger. Gun shoots accurately enough I guess.

That is beside the point... Had a pretty nasty flub-up: in the middle of shooting, at round 11/16 in the mag, gun fails to fire.

I tap, rack, check and go. Click, again! Rip the mag, work the slide, and see no blockages in the chamber. Check the mag before reseating it and see NO round on top. Look down in the mag and see rounds 11 and 12 are crossed over each other with 11 pointed down and 12 pointing up towards me. Tried banging the mag on the bench to no avail. Had to strip apart the mag. Rounds 13-16 fell out of the bottom while rounds 11-12 remained crossed in the middle of the mag!

Had to prod them out with a pocket knife. Ammo was federal American eagle 115gr and gun had about 100 total rounds fired today and only 50 prior to today's range trip and was cleaned and oiled before today. Brand new gun. Followers on all mags appeared identical. No burrs inside the faulty mag tube. Totally baffled as to wtf happened. Needless to say I'm glad I never bought one when they came out and i was considering it.

Then the kicker at the end of the range trip, my buddy's dad's M&P case fell apart (both latches popped off and wouldn't stay back on the damn case lol). Horrible.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:02   #2
TSAX
USAF Vet

The trigger will get better after being broken in more. You can get an APEX kit for about $95 and it will vastly improved or just get the APEX sear for $35 and it will be an improvement.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

GSSF Member
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

NRA Member
TSAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:04   #3
Butcher
NRA Life Member

**I** can stick with Glock. **He** can try all that extra jazz on his turd lol. Polished turd is still a turd

Old 02-04-2013, 02:13   #4
ilgunguygt
Enslaved in IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
**I** can stick with Glock. **He** can try all that extra jazz on his turd lol. Polished turd is still a turd

Yeah, we know how friggin awesome those glock triggers are out of the box. Rumor has it Colt and Les Baer are trying to license thier trigger components for thier pistols.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:05   #5
BlisteringSilence
Secret Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilgunguygt View Post
Yeah, we know how friggin awesome those glock triggers are out of the box. Rumor has it Colt and Les Baer are trying to license thier trigger components for thier pistols.
QFT.

I have a full-size M&P 9mm, and out of the box, it shot WAY better than my Glock did out of it's box, and continues to do so to this day.
BlisteringSilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:00   #6
CAcop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilgunguygt View Post
I have never understood Glock owners bashing Smith triggers. They both suck. Glock at best is a Sig non SRT trigger gun.
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
CAcop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:33   #7
bac1023

Quote:

Yeah, you just can't compare anything to Glock perfection.

bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:25   #8
M&P15T
Beard One

I'm confused:

The pistol shot fine, despite a new trigger needing breaking-in.

There was a human-error issue with the mag, of somehow improperly loading cartridges, or just a freak occurance. And there was (what sounds like) a human error with the case, which means nothing about the pistol itself.

But the OP is hating on the pistol, like it did anything less than perform as well as the person handling it could make it.
M&P15T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:43   #9
Butcher
NRA Life Member

A human error issue with the mag? Lol

Old 02-04-2013, 11:50   #10
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:

Or a random freak occurance.

Either of those possibilities are valid, as you yourself are "Totally baffled as to wtf happened".

You wanted to hate on the pistol, so you did. Fine, but don't assume your hate will just be taken at face value and accepted.
M&P15T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:06   #11
nathanours
Texan

Quote:
Got a chance to shoot my buddy's dad's new M&P 9mm today. Don't like the trigger. Gun shoots accurately enough I guess.

That is beside the point... Had a pretty nasty flub-up: in the middle of shooting, at round 11/16 in the mag, gun fails to fire.

I tap, rack, check and go. Click, again! Rip the mag, work the slide, and see no blockages in the chamber. Check the mag before reseating it and see NO round on top. Look down in the mag and see rounds 11 and 12 are crossed over each other with 11 pointed down and 12 pointing up towards me. Tried banging the mag on the bench to no avail. Had to strip apart the mag. Rounds 13-16 fell out of the bottom while rounds 11-12 remained crossed in the middle of the mag!

Had to prod them out with a pocket knife. Ammo was federal American eagle 115gr and gun had about 100 total rounds fired today and only 50 prior to today's range trip and was cleaned and oiled before today. Brand new gun. Followers on all mags appeared identical. No burrs inside the faulty mag tube. Totally baffled as to wtf happened. Needless to say I'm glad I never bought one when they came out and i was considering it.

Then the kicker at the end of the range trip, my buddy's dad's M&P case fell apart (both latches popped off and wouldn't stay back on the damn case lol). Horrible.

You do realize that the case really doesn't matter that much and that some of the nicest pistols made come in cardboard boxes right? My Glock trigger is just now bordering on decent after shooting roughly 10k rounds through it and polishing all the internals. It's much better than most Glocks I've felt and still can't compare to some $300 pistols.

Black Rifle Club #1989

Last edited by nathanours; 02-04-2013 at 12:06..
nathanours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:38   #12
Kimura

Quote:

There is no perfect pistol and not every gun is for everyone. I don't know about the mag problem, but other than that seems like you just don't care for the gun.

I've run M&Ps in 9mm, .40 and .45. In 9mm, I personally prefer Glock. For me, the M&P 9 has more potential problems than I really want to deal with. It's personal preference and I think if the gun works for someone, it does. It's certainly a better choice than some others out there and the box/latch problem, to me, isn't a big deal.
Kimura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:39   #13
Comedian

Quote:

You sir are a moron.
Walther PPS 9mm
Comedian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 13:00   #14
Hawkeye16

My m&p9 has run flawless. I am smart enough to properly load a mag though. From my experience it is on par with the glock.

Hawkeye16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 13:33   #15
GlockN

Quote:

You sir/ma'am are an epic-fail!
GlockN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 14:22   #16
ilgunguygt
Enslaved in IL

OP, if you were hoping for a bash everything else, drool all over the glock fanboy fest, you should have posted in General Glocking, those guys eat that stuff up. This sub-forum tends to be more sensible.
Old 02-04-2013, 14:51   #17
Butcher
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye16 View Post
My m&p9 has run flawless. I am smart enough to properly load a mag though. From my experience it is on par with the glock.

I'm sure I forgot how to load a mag between 21 years of shooting and today, and between all the pistol courses, shooting competitions, police academy, and weapons instructor school, too.

From my experience, its a turd. I might have talked badly about your favorite gun but I didn't bad mouth you (or anyone else who resorted to the ad hominem attacks) or assume you're inexperienced. Thanks for your input though

Last edited by Butcher; 02-04-2013 at 14:59..
Old 02-04-2013, 15:01   #18
nathanours
Texan

Quote:
I'm sure I forgot how to load a mag between 21 years ago and today. From my experience its a turd.

I've not forgotten how to load a magazine, but don't beat yourself up over it. I'm sure at some point someone else has forgotten besides you. We all have our moments.

Black Rifle Club #1989
nathanours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 16:43   #19
hsprincipal

I heard about a guy who loaded a magazine backwards and shot himself...... Lol. True story I heard it from a guy who heard it from a guy.....

I shoot Glocks and M&P .40 both are fine weapons and have pluses and minuses.....
G23, G21, G22, G26, G17, G27, G20, G19, G34, G30s, G17L, S&W 1911sc, Ruger SR1911, S&W M&P .40, S&W New .38 Bodyguard,Neos, Nano, Walther PPQ, Sig 2022 9mm, Victory model .38 S&W, Colt LE6920, PPS, M9, 870, S&W 637, CW9, RO 9mm, 590a1
hsprincipal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 18:00   #20
cowboy1964

The M&P trigger does suck but it's totally a none issue if you stop fretting about it.
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote