Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-03-2013, 13:44   #1
lostclusters

Looking for Recommendations on a Powder

I am preparing to start reloading for my Glock 10mm and I am looking for recommendations on a powder. What I am looking for is one powder that burns clean (does not leave much residue and not much or no smoke), will produce accurate loads at FBI velocities as well as full house loads, I suppose it should meter well to make it easy to use (all loads will be weighed), and produce the least flash. If it makes a difference I will most likely be using 180 and 220 grain bullets through a KKM standard length barrel with a 4 port comp. On occasion I may use a 6 inch barrel with a 4 port comp. If memory serves Blue Dot may be a candidate. Thanks in advance.
lostclusters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 13:49   #2
lowflyer
Capitalist

I suggest visiting the websites of the various powder manufacturers.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
lowflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 15:12   #3
Kwesi

I use Power Pistol and Blue Dot for my 180 FMJ's but neither are low flash. If you are willing to hand weight and check every charge then look into 800-X. It meters poorly like corn flakes.
Kwesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 20:07   #4
Supermag1

I've been kind of looking for the same thing and might try AA No 9. Anyone with opinions on it?
Supermag1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 21:53   #5
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

At the reduced velocities getting a powder to burn clean is a challenge, HS-6 is said to be low flash but that will take some work.

Hodgdon shows HS-6 7.4 grains for 940 fps with the 180 grain Sierra JHC 22,000psi.
Hodgdon shows 231 5.2 grains for 944 fps with the 180 grain Sierra JHC 29,700psi.

Power Pistol is clean burning in the lower levels than Blue Dot but both are good in the upper velocity ranges.

About the 180 & 220 gr. if these are cast bullet and depending on the lube being used and bullet seal this will be the determining factor for the smoke you see!
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 22:21   #6
lostclusters

At this point I will not be using cast bullets.
Old 02-03-2013, 23:38   #7
Taterhead
Counting Beans

You are probably looking at Accurate no. 7. It is low flash, reasonably clean burning, and doesn't mind being downloaded too much. The inside and outside of spent brass is sparkly clean, but there is some microscopic flecks of residue in the gun. It is also a fairly high performing powder when cranked up a bit. No powders meter as well as Accurate powders. The only downside it that it is not efficient; meaning that you'll use more powder per round than others.

Blue Dot is awesome, but it is very dirty when down loaded. It is also about the flashiest powder you'll find. Mostly flash doesn't bother me at all. I use more BD than any. The soot it produces at modest pressure loads does not bother my G20 at all.

Last edited by Taterhead; 02-03-2013 at 23:41..
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 23:51   #8
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermag1 View Post
I've been kind of looking for the same thing and might try AA No 9. Anyone with opinions on it?
Accurate no. 9 is an outstanding 10mm powder. But it is best run at full strength, and not downloaded, since it is a fairly slow-burning powder. It meters supurbly due to its extremely fine granules. It has given top velocities for me in 155 - 200 grain weights, while sticking with book data. Some guys are getting faster results with 800-X and Longshot by going way "over book." Bottom line though, is that A9 is the best performer for my G20 for book loads. It is also clean burning with low flash. It has good case fill, so there is no risk for double charging a case.

The huge downside for volume loads is that you will use as much as 50% more powder. My 180 grain "range load" consumes 13.5 grains per charge. A can of powder goes pretty quickly at those charge weights.

Last edited by Taterhead; 02-03-2013 at 23:56..
Old 02-04-2013, 08:35   #9
Supermag1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
Accurate no. 9 is an outstanding 10mm powder. But it is best run at full strength, and not downloaded, since it is a fairly slow-burning powder. It meters supurbly due to its extremely fine granules. It has given top velocities for me in 155 - 200 grain weights, while sticking with book data. Some guys are getting faster results with 800-X and Longshot by going way "over book." Bottom line though, is that A9 is the best performer for my G20 for book loads. It is also clean burning with low flash. It has good case fill, so there is no risk for double charging a case.

The huge downside for volume loads is that you will use as much as 50% more powder. My 180 grain "range load" consumes 13.5 grains per charge. A can of powder goes pretty quickly at those charge weights.
Thanks for the info!
Supermag1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:26   #10
BMiracletx

I say for your use... Longshot.
BMiracletx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 14:44   #11
GONIF

LONGSHOT ALL THE WAY.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMiracletx View Post
Old 03-02-2013, 10:38   #12
gofastman

Longshot is great, but I think you may want to check out WSF, Its fills a very similar roll as Unique, no nuclear velocitys, but great accuracy, clean and low flash.

I think of it as Longshot's less athletic, but more precice, nerdy little brother
Old 03-02-2013, 17:49   #13
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofastman View Post
Longshot is great, but I think you may want to check out WSF, Its fills a very similar roll as Unique, no nuclear velocitys, but great accuracy, clean and low flash.

I think of it as Longshot's less athletic, but more precice, nerdy little brother
Good call on WSF. I loaded some tester strings a few weeks ago, and finally got around to doing some testing today. WSF ran great. These loads would be great for someone looking for a gamer load for 10mm auto. Velocities for some of the strings were below 900 fps with a 180. The G20 cycled them just fine.

It also meters quite well too.

Last edited by Taterhead; 03-02-2013 at 17:50..
Old 03-02-2013, 17:52   #14
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Really, right now whatever you can find on the shelf would be what I would grab. WSF, Accurate 5/7/9, Blue Dot, Longshot, or 800-X. I have used all in my G20. All work with the proper charge weights.

Last edited by Taterhead; 03-02-2013 at 17:52..
Old 03-03-2013, 16:11   #15
ryangt

Longshot!

I like my loads hot. But have been doing extremely weak loads for my wife to shoot too. Just bought 8 lbs.
ryangt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 16:24   #16
GONIF

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMiracletx View Post
Old 03-14-2013, 21:58   #17
Bongo Boy

Well, except that the OP asked for low flash...which I don't think you're going to get with Longshot (the flashiest powder I've ever used next to No 5). I've not used No 9 at all, but it's faster brethren, while metering nicely of course, tends to splash out of the cases on my Lock-n-Load. I'm interesting in trying it though, it sounds promising and like the feature of filling out the case nicely even if it takes a big charge.

What are your thoughts about SR4756? It's my first choice for top end loads in 40 and 45, is super clean, meters very well and has virtually no flash. I don't think it produces the highest octane loads in the world, but I think the charges are reasonable.

Also, I was just looking at the numbers for AutoComp and wow...pretty impressive specs. I've never looked at it at all until just moments ago--anyone used it in 10? Seems it might be a candidate with the ported barrels.

Last edited by Bongo Boy; 03-14-2013 at 22:10..
Bongo Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:02   #18
Maine1

Unique for reasonably powerful practice load
Blue dot for a bit hotter load

hand weighed 800X for fullpower loads.

Longshot, AA#9, 2400, H110 and a few others did not get me what i wanted, though they all functioned well enough. Just not up to full power loads.
Maine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 14:57   #19
MakeMineA10mm
Lifetime Membership
300AAC brass

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofastman View Post

For what the OP wants to accomplish, this is a great choice. It will accomplish most of the criteria very well. It can also be loaded upwards for warmer loads, although top-end loads would require something more specialized. FWIW, I find WSF to be a little slower than Unique most of the time, but it's not an 800x or AA#9 slowness.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Looking for: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.
MakeMineA10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 21:07   #20
lostclusters

Low flash is a low priority. I appreciate all the input. Thanks guys!