Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-02-2013, 23:03   #1
erkme73

Tried to buy guns at Tampa buyback event - got face full of cop

This morning I went to one of the five buyback locations to entice would-be gun destroyers to let me have first dibs on their unwanted hardware. With a sign that read "I will pay 2x in CASH for any working gun", I started walking up and down the sidewalk in front of the gun drop-off site.

Within minutes, I was approached by a deputy who did not identify himself. He tried his best to intimidate me, even implying that I would be arrested for obstruction. Knowing that Tampa is nothing short of a police state (thanks to all the Republican Convention hardware left behind), I expected this to happen - and brought my small camera.

Here is what your tax dollars supports...

I put a lot of details in the video description - including the reaction of others on the scene.
erkme73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 23:08   #2
TK-421

Well? Did you buy any guns?
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 23:14   #3
SJ 40

Well did ya get any good deals? SJ 40
SJ 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 23:14   #4
erkme73

No. The way the had it set up, there was a 3-hour long line of cars waiting to enter an old abandoned gas station. Drivers had to have their guns in the trunk, unloaded. The cops removed the guns from the cars, with the drivers never even opening their doors. It was a very sterile operation, and it was clear that the drivers were intimidated to do anything other than march through in single file.

A few rolled their windows down to tell us what they were dropping off (nothing more than .22 single-shot rusty rifles) - but no one dared pop their trunks. I suspect this was because we were within the line-of-sight to the uniforms.

It's a shame, as there is (as of now) nothing illegal with a private sale. But, of course the media (which was also there) doesn't report this fact - at least not without implying that it's pure evil to do so without a background check.

Truth be told, I went for the primary purpose of challenging anyone from the sheriff's office who tried to limit our rights to offer a better deal.

Several buyers returned to the sidewalk after they saw my cop run away, with me not backing down. They'd all been approached earlier, and they caved when threatened with arrest. Once they saw it was only a bluff, they returned en mass. That's what I was after - and I considered it a small victory.
Old 02-02-2013, 23:19   #5
ranger1968

I would make a formal complaint with the agency.....

Unless there is more to this, from what is shown on the video, the core transaction between you and the deputy does not appear to be proper, in that by simply walking on public sidewalk and holding that sign you were not committing an offense; addtionally, face to face private firearms sales are perfectly legal; there was no reason (again unless there was something else going on before the recording started) to threaten you with arrest.

Make the complaint, and follow through with it; while the odds of the deputy being removed from duty are slim, at the very least, if your complaint is sustained, there would undoubtedly be some retraining, and (this is the really important potential impact) the agency's legal division would issue a directive on how to handle such interactions in the future.
ranger1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 23:37   #6
erkme73

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger1968 View Post
Make the complaint, and follow through with it; while the odds of the deputy being removed from duty are slim, at the very least, if your complaint is sustained, there would undoubtedly be some retraining, and (this is the really important potential impact) the agency's legal division would issue a directive on how to handle such interactions in the future.
I will very likely do that. But, just this evening, I saw a local story where the spokesman for the HCSO stated that while private sales are legal, individuals buying guns on the side of the road may be violating the law since they're conducting a business transaction without a permit.

I've said it many times before - government can only control its citizens if they are breaking the law. Consequently, we have so many overlapping, redundant, and oftentimes conflicting laws, that every man is guilty of breaking a number of laws at any given moment. In other words, if it's not obstructing a lawful event, they'll do their best to find some other way to keep the playground for themselves.

The other two buyers that were blocked in by two deputy cruisers were not allowed to leave until they provided their DL and CCL numbers - and answered a host of questions. This 'interrogation' was conducted by no less than three deputies at the same time. Unfortunately, neither of the two buyers were calm enough to record the event - making this nothing but heresy and conjecture. But it paints a better picture of this being more than just a single deputy who had a chip on his shoulder, or wasn't trained properly. It's a bit more systemic than that.

BTW, when one of the buyers asked why they were being detained and questioned, one officer said, "Because we don't know your intent." Really? Is that all that law enforcement needs as a basis for this type interrogation? Whatever happened to reasonable suspicion or probable cause? Oh, if only that'd happened to me...

Those frazzled buyers later approached me to ask if I'd also surrendered my personal information. Apparently the three deputies that grilled them, told them that everyone on the sidewalk (myself included) had already been vetted, and our information collected as well. When I told them that was total BS, they were more than upset at being lied to. No one else was approached on the sidewalk after my confrontation. And I made it a point to talk to every one of them to make sure they understood we were within our rights to be there.
Old 02-02-2013, 23:43   #7
ranger1968

I don't think the "conducting business without a permit" thing would stand up; that's going to be a county ordinance, and you will want to look it up, but it most likely covers things like sidewalk food vendors , ice cream trucks, people selling jewelty and electronics in parking lots, etc, as an organized " business"; you buying a firerarm here and there from other private citizens would not qualify unless the ordinance is overly broad about what constitutes a "business"....
ranger1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 23:51   #8
erkme73

That's probably true, but it didn't keep the spokesman from saying it publicly to instill doubt in the minds of any one considering buying or selling guns at these events. Just the fact that a man in uniform says it may be illegal will, to the masses, scare them into never even rolling down the window at one of these events.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:51   #9
QNman
Silver Membership
resU deretsigeR

Well done, Erkme.
"I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration, somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

TERM LIMITS NOW!!!
QNman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:10   #10
plainsman

Thanks for your courage in standing up.

It's pathetic that firearms owners think they are better off disarmed when some rapist or murderer visits them.

Yea, leave the crazies out there, encourage the sheep to be more sheepie and disarmed.

The only reason for a gunowner to sell at a gun buy back, is to get rid of old, junky, non firing, missing parts, never to be restored trash, then take those idiots money, and go buy your self new goodies.
plainsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 13:01   #11
Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger1968 View Post
I would make a formal complaint with the agency.....

Unless there is more to this, from what is shown on the video, the core transaction between you and the deputy does not appear to be proper, in that by simply walking on public sidewalk and holding that sign you were not committing an offense; addtionally, face to face private firearms sales are perfectly legal; there was no reason (again unless there was something else going on before the recording started) to threaten you with arrest.

Here's a little story for y'all. And if the whiners want to yell "cop bashing" so be it. Facts are facts and truth is truth. A friend that was a true "motorcycle enthusiast", NOT a "biker". Short neat hair, clean close, show quality custom Harley. He pulled up to the curb, parked his bike, took off his helmet and was grabbed by two New Orleans cops and thrown against a wall. He was arrested for obstructing. Obstructing what they wouldn't say. He went to jail, his bike got hooked to a tow truck. He went to court and after $$$ in lawyers and impound fees the charges were thrown out. Of course the arrest record stands. Seems the cops had had problems earlier with a "BIKER" so anyone on a motorcycle got to take a ride to jail. What happened to the cops after he and several others registered complajints? Nada! Zilch! NOTHING!. As long as good cops cover for or turn a blind eye to the activities of the JBT types how can they expect respect?

I have another story that just happen in the French Quarter this past Friday night/Saturday morning involving two Jefferson Parish Deputies. New Orleans borrows LEO from all over the state for things like Mardigras, the Superbowl, the Essences Festival and etc. Short version. Arrested man because they SAID they smelled marijuana on him. He's a tug boat captain and is tested every two month for drugs. There's no way in hell he'd smoke weed. They arrested his wife because she "verbally" protested. They took his friend along just because he was there. (I believe they charged him with resisting. Not sure.) While his father-in-law, the girls father, was bailing them out he talked with a man who's wife had been arrested. He was from another country. Seems his wife playfully kicked him on the leg, cops saw it. They arrested her for domestic violence over the protest of her husband. He insisted they were just kidding around. My wife and I do that sort of thing all the time. The cops in many places ARE OUT OF CONTROL. It makes no difference how right you are. They WILL arrest you. It WILL cost you a boat load of money, (that's what it's all about) and you will end up with an arrest record no matter how right "you" were.

But we're not to post such things (according to the enablers) because it's "cop bashing". They much prefer good little comrades.
BIG DAWG #4

Liberal: Someone who is so open-minded their brains have fallen out.
Guns are not dangerous, people are.

Last edited by Jerry; 02-05-2013 at 12:26..
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 13:40   #12
RGbiker

IMO, big belly Florida Cop needs an hour long class on proper dealing with the public, ya' know the same folks who help pay his salary....

Tucson had a gun buy back a few weeks ago. Some 35 PROFESSIONAL TPD cops on hand, several private sales were made and no angry words were heard from anyone.
Old 02-04-2013, 14:03   #13
NBT

I almost went to that buy back with the intent of maybe finding and purchasing a few firearms that people were going to get rid of.
Like the Seattle (I believe) gun buy back they ran out of funds by noon...and people were being turned away.
Wasn't sure if there would be a "fuss" from LEO about legal purchasing of a firearm outside of the event, but your video obviously show's their stance. SAD
Old 02-04-2013, 23:02   #14
GLJones

Send a message via AIM to GLJones
I would have walked the line of cars asking the drivers what they were trading in. Dare them to arrest you for not breaking the law. Have friends with cameras to capture it. The only way to stop this crap is to hold them accountable. If the local news won't show it, YouTube and GlockTalk can get a lot of traffic.
If I ever see an Orlando buy back, I plan to be there and be visible. If I see something I want, I will talk with the owner on public property, no matter what the officer might say.
Niner #105
Big Dog #1004
Glock 26,30,36 and AR15
GLJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:45   #15
oneuglygun

You probably had every right to purchase there, but you had to expect the outcome you got ! Not to worry , for every gun they took off the street there were most likely 1500 sold across the country that day !!
oneuglygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:46   #16
somebodybuymeaglock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
Here's a little story for y'all. And if the whiners want to yell "cop bashing" so be it. Facts are facts and truth is truth. A friend that was a true "motorcycle enthusiast", NOT a "biker". Short neat hair, clean close, show quality custom Harley. He pulled up to the curb, parked his bike, took off his helmet and was grabbed by two New Orleans cops and thrown against a wall. He was arrested for obstructing. Obstructing what they wouldn't say. He went to jail, his bike got hooked to a tow truck. He went to court and after $$$ in lawyers and impound fees the charges were thrown out. Of course the arrest record stands. Seems the cops had had problems earlier with a "BIKER" so anyone on a motorcycle got to take a ride to jail. What happened to the cops after he and several others registered complajints? Nada! Zilch! NOTHING!. As long as good cops cover for or turn a blind eye to the activities of the JBT types how can they expect respect?

I have another story that just happen in the French Quarter this past Friday night/Saturday morning involving two Jefferson Parish Deputies. New Orleans borrows LEO from all over the state for things like Mardigras, the Superbowl, the Essences Festival and etc. Short version. Arrested man because they SAID they smelled marijuana on him. He's a tug boat captain and is tested every two month for drugs. There's no way in hell he'd smoke weed. They arrested his wife because she "verbally" protested. They took his friend along just because he was there. (I believe they charged him with resisting. Not sure.) While his father-in-law, the girls father, was bailing them out he talked with a man who's wife had been arrested. He was from another country. Seems his wife playfully kicked him on the leg, cops saw it. They arrested her for domestic violence over the protest of her husband. He insisted they were just kidding around. My wife and I do that sort of thing all the time. The cops in many places ARE OUT OF CONTROL. It makes no difference how right you are. They WILL arrest you. It WILL cost you a boat load of money, (that's what it's all about) and you will end up with an arrest record no matter how right "you" were.

But we're not to post such things (according to the enablers) because it's "cop bashing". They much prefer good little comrades.
Thats the truth right there, its all about the $$$.
Ive had to deal with la cops. Its a nightmare. They will go after harmless people, but the gangstas are still running around killing people. At the end of the day Nawlins will still be Murder City. Thats whats wrong with the criminal justice system generally and Nawlins specifically, imo.

Im sorry that happened to you, op.
somebodybuymeaglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 23:46   #17
erkme73

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneuglygun View Post
You probably had every right to purchase there, but you had to expect the outcome you got !
Truthfully, I got exactly what I expected. In fact, it's what I wanted. It sounds sadistic, but after watching an unending stream of YouTube videos of people who are harassed, intimidated, and even arrested over exercising their legal rights - and being guilty only of 'contempt of cop', I fully expected this.

It's why I brought my keyfob camera. I've already had a local affiliate of the network news contact me about this - but the lack of a name is stifling the interest.