Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-02-2013, 21:43   #1
doktor doom

Seeking a modern short double barrel

I'm thinking that a hallway howitzer should be a new addition to the defense platform around Casa Doom. While I'm intrigued by a lot of the cowby SXS's, I'd like something with ejectors, no hammers, a single trigger, and a lack of tacticool paste-on rails. When I break the action, I want the spent shells flying ovner my shoulder. 12g is my preference, 20g I can live with. SXS or O/U really unimportant. i don't want lights, scopes, etc, just a bright dot.
Short of buying a trap gun and having it expensively modified, what are my options? Anyone make a factory version of what I'm looking for?

Last edited by doktor doom; 02-02-2013 at 21:44..
doktor doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 22:07   #2
flyover

I know the Veep said all you need is a double barrel shotgun for home defense, I would advise you to look at a pump or even a semi auto instead. Why limit yourself to only 2 rounds when you might well need more than 2?
flyover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 22:28   #3
countrygun

You are going to have limited choices because most are made for CAS and have hammers and are ejectorless. I have an EAA Bounty hunter that's hammerless and a couple of the nice Chinese Coach Guns. They have hammers and a crossbolt safety that can be (and is) locked out ,and a non-automatic tang safety, which is kind of nice because you can cock the hammers and still use the tang safety.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 00:44   #4
Texas357
CLM Number 224
Señor Member

So you want hammerless, selective ejectors, no auyomatic safety.

Good luck. Let me know if you find one.

"I nominate you for President of Texas!" - Dr. Octagon
"I accept your nomination, and thank you for your vote."- Texas357
Texas357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:29   #5
K.Kiser

What you've described is also my preference, but I'm unsure if it exists... I like the ejectors of the old single shots that I have which send cases 1/2 way across the room, I like the single trigger & barrel selector of my Ithaca, and I like the compactness of my Rossi Overland coach, but I've never seen those attributes in the same gun...

I always wanted a home defense double and I like the mine that I have now, which is the Rossi 20 ga, but truthfully speaking I'd probably still grab my Wichester 1300 defender in a pinch... I can actually load my pump faster in the dark if the need be, but either is nice to have... Off topic I know, sorry..
K.Kiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:18   #6
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

A double is nice if the other option is a spear, but any modern pump or auto will win in the continuity of fire department. Much like a Peacemaker, if you get it done with what's in the gun, all is good. However as I well know, Murphy is a bastard, and never plan on that. You may well do it with one shot, you might just need five. I know an officer who put a full magazine (four) of 00 buck into a guy with all of them being solid hits and him not being on any substance but adrenaline before the guy went down. At close range.

Look at getting a CZ, Yildiz, or similar mid-grade SXS and having it trimmed down.

And not having a light on a shotgun is just asking for trouble. Having cleared a few thousand rooms with and without an onboard light..... a light isn't an option, it's a necessity.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 22:14   #7
vafish

While I agree a pump is better, to answer the OP's question.

Mossberg Maverick HS12.

18.5" barrels. Just a bit of rail.

Tactical Shotguns

http://www.mossberg.com/product/shot...der-hs12/75460

Or the Stoeger Double Defense, Available in either side by side or over under. 20" barrels and a bit more rails.

http://www.stoegerindustries.com/fir...le-defense.php

Tactical Shotguns

Tactical Shotguns

http://www.stoegerindustries.com/fir...le-defense.php

Although I pretty sure all of them come with just extractors not ejectors.
educate children." -- Confucius

Last edited by vafish; 02-03-2013 at 22:17..
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 20:04   #8
AZson

This might be a good option, you get 3 shots out of it.

Last edited by AZson; 03-05-2013 at 19:42..
AZson is offline   Reply With Quote