SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:47   #176
OhioGlock90

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog66 View Post
I think the element of PTSD is really overblown. The media just loves this term and seems to use it to victimize veterans. Most sufferers of PTSD have never even served in the military. PTSD is often found in those who have been in car crashes, fires, near drowning, etc. to characterize someone who has suffered from PTSD as mentally unstable or even mentally ill demonstrates ignorance of the condition.
It goes along with the general perspective on mental illness. Most people think that someone that has a mental disease is locked up in the "looney bin" somewhere and every thing is ok. Most don't understand that mental illness is much worse a problem than we think. It can be any thing from PTSD, depression, anxiety, OCD or worse. We need to learn how to look out for mental illness and how to get those in need help. It shouldn't be taboo, and people with mental illness shouldn't have to suffer in silence.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Winchester Model 1897
OhioGlock90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:53   #177
G36's Rule

Appears that Ron Paul is as wacky as I always thought.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RonPaul
G36's Rule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:56   #178
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by G36's Rule View Post
Appears that Ron Paul is as wacky as I always thought.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RonPaul
Very disappointing
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 13:04   #179
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

But at least he supports legalizing drugs.
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 13:24   #180
Seriously?
U.S.A.F. Ret.

Ron Paul has a LOT of goofy ideas, but I agree with him in this case. The glorification of war in America has gone too far and people should back off.
Seriously? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 13:25   #181
JohnBT
NRA Patron

"to characterize someone who has suffered from PTSD as mentally unstable or even mentally ill demonstrates ignorance of the condition."

Has suffered or is currently diagnosed? A current PTSD diagnosis is taken from the DSM-IV - soon to be DSM-V in a few months - the APA handbook of mental illnesses. It's been listed since 1980.

www1.appstate.edu/~hillrw/PTSD%20CBT%20TX/PTSD/Pages/Diagnositics.htm

www1.appstate.edu/~hillrw/PTSD%20CBT%20TX/PTSD/Pages/DSMPTSD.htm
JohnBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 13:44   #182
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seriously? View Post
Ron Paul has a LOT of goofy ideas, but I agree with him in this case. The glorification of war in America has gone too far and people should back off.
The "glorificiation of war" is less now than ever in the history of the world and less here than in most of the world. War is the driving force of civilization and the the central theme of human history. I am not against it.
Old 02-04-2013, 13:52   #183
Beware Owner
NOT a victim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBT View Post
"to characterize someone who has suffered from PTSD as mentally unstable or even mentally ill demonstrates ignorance of the condition."

Has suffered or is currently diagnosed? A current PTSD diagnosis is taken from the DSM-IV - soon to be DSM-V in a few months - the APA handbook of mental illnesses. It's been listed since 1980.

www1.appstate.edu/~hillrw/PTSD%20CBT%20TX/PTSD/Pages/Diagnositics.htm

www1.appstate.edu/~hillrw/PTSD%20CBT%20TX/PTSD/Pages/DSMPTSD.htm
The APA and the DSM have no credibility since 1972...
Homegrown Terrorism
Beware Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 15:34   #184
sum-dum-guy

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/n...,4541295.story

“We’re such a small brotherhood that when something happens to anybody here or overseas, word travels fast,” Denver told The Times on Sunday.

Denver said the news was “really hard to believe,” and he called Kyle “one of our real champions and battle stars.”

For Denver, one of the toughest parts to believe was that Kyle was “not only killed, but on a range with someone he was trying to help, another veteran.”

“I knew Chris had been working with other veterans, folks with PTSD, trying to help them get better,” Denver said. "It’s hard to stomach that someone he was trying to help would turn on him.”

Denver said that during the last day, he has fielded questions from civilians who can’t understand why Kyle would have taken someone with PTSD to a shooting range — but as a veteran, he understands.

“That type of shooting can actually be cathartic, calming,” he said, “letting your heart settle,” particularly for veterans who have just returned home after being accustomed to carrying weapons.
Old 02-04-2013, 17:10   #185
kyglockshooter

Chris may you RIP - we will carry on the fight to educated the uneducated.
Many prayers for your family

LT USN (Ret)

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch, Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Unattributed
kyglockshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 17:33   #186
jkloeker

Godspeed.
jkloeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 18:21   #187
klampton317

Chris Kyle was awesome. The world is a lesser place because he is gone.

I dont know anything about PTSD. With that being said, I dont think it had a whole lot to do with what happened.

Personally, I think the sick ****** just wanted to bag a "big fish." In a twisted persons mind, what would be better than killing a legendary SEAL sniper? It would certainly give you notoriety. Everyone remembers who killed Billy the Kid and Jesse James (loose analogy but you get it).

Sorry, but a person doesn't shoot two people in the back, flee the scene in the dead mans truck and attempt to allude/hide from the police for 4 hours MERELY because of PTSD.
klampton317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 18:54   #188
Pokapotato

I read Chirs' book and was so impressed by Him and His Counterparts. I am truely saddened to hear of his murder. He is a good man, a champion of conservative ideals, a warrior, a friend to those in anguish and he will be missed sorely I am sure. Thank You Chris for making my life better in many ways. God bless those close to him who are mourning.
Old 02-04-2013, 21:35   #189
EDOGZ818

He was just in "Soldier Of Fortune", back cover & all, with his LaRue!

RIP / Semper Fi!
EDOGZ818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 23:21   #190
Armedleprechaun

Quote:
Originally Posted by sappy13 View Post
Wow. So you think all the veterans who proudly served our country to protect our freedoms should loose them because they come.back with a few issues? Its a really sad day because we lost a great American and another man, but I bet you Chris would roll over in his grave and slap the **** out of you for that comment. They aren't freaks.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
This!
Old 02-04-2013, 23:25   #191
Armedleprechaun

Quote:
Originally Posted by moeman View Post
Live by the sword
Die by the sword...
You should be dropped off in the middle of the Agahn mountains, with nothing but the clothes on your back... Go play in traffic.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:16   #192
LawScholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armedleprechaun View Post
You should be dropped off in the middle of the Agahn mountains, with nothing but the clothes on your back... Go play in traffic.
Keep reading
Old 02-05-2013, 04:23   #193
cookj

Godspeed. Prayers for his family.
cookj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:11   #194
F_G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armedleprechaun View Post
Read his second post before you go off half cocked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moeman View Post
My apologies.. A lot has been read into my post... I meant this in the sense of a warrior/gladiator not that he deserved anything.

Me, I'd rather die by shark attack doing what I like to do scuba/snorkeling than spend months in an ICU bed as a sick person then die-- I see this a lot in my world.

So, please accept my apology-- I kind of think that Chris would get this.. Working w/ PTSD vets has risk just like working w/ other mental situations.

He was the ultimate warrior.

Last edited by F_G; 02-05-2013 at 05:13..
F_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:51   #195
JohnBT
NRA Patron

"The APA and the DSM have no credibility since 1972..."

They do in the real world. They are all there is when is comes to diagnosing, coding and paying for treatment. But you can go ahead and believe whatever you like.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:58   #196
JohnBT
NRA Patron

"Sorry, but a person doesn't shoot two people in the back, flee the scene in the dead mans truck and attempt to allude/hide from the police for 4 hours MERELY because of PTSD."

Speaking generally, without knowing the specifics of Routh's past treatment, I tend to agree with you.

There's an article on CNN this morning that says Routh was in and out of VA facilities for 2 years for treatment for mental illness. It doesn't say what kind of mental illness, but I can't recall ever working with a vet with PTSD who spent that much time receiving inpatient treatment.

John
Old 02-05-2013, 06:46   #197
OctoberRust
Anti-Federalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBO View Post
But at least he supports legalizing drugs.

I'm not sure which comment was more inappropriate. Moeman's before he clarified, or yours (for this thread)
OctoberRust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:24   #198
Beware Owner
NOT a victim.

Quote:
"The APA and the DSM have no credibility since 1972..."

They do in the real world. They are all there is when is comes to diagnosing, coding and paying for treatment. But you can go ahead and believe whatever you like.
They became politicized in the real world, allowing political pressure to tell them who is sick and who isn't, despite all their previous knowledge. They have no credibility.
Homegrown Terrorism
Old 02-05-2013, 07:43   #199
JohnBT
NRA Patron

"They have no credibility."

You can say that over and over again, but it does not make it true. Does the field change and grow? Certainly. The DSM-V is due for release this May iirc. Will some folks be unhappy with parts of it? Sure. It's still all there is.

John
Old 02-05-2013, 07:55   #200
Beware Owner
NOT a victim.

Quote:
"They have no credibility."

You can say that over and over again, but it does not make it true. Does the field change and grow? Certainly. The DSM-V is due for release this May iirc. Will some folks be unhappy with parts of it? Sure. It's still all there is.

John
It's true whether I say it or not. People will go with the institution but it's largely a joke.
Homegrown Terrorism