Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-08-2013, 19:06   #1
Teecher45

1 more try.

I want a 1911, but I want one of those that works. Every time, all of the time.
A little background. I've owned six 1911's. Two springfield's (1 loaded that was pretty bad as far as not liking hollow points, and an operator with rail that wouldn't eject), one kimber (that was the best shooting pistol I've ever owned but wouldn't work at all with HP's), and 3 Colts. Now, I must profess a liking for Colt. My father used to have an old Cold Govt. that was great as far as reliability goes but lost it in a robbery several years ago. I also have a 6920. So I bought a blued Govt. and it was pretty bad as far as accuracy goes. Since then I've had two Lightweight Commanders and one wouldn't eject a whole magazine to save its (or my) life, the other wouldn't keep 3 out of 5 rounds on a paper plate from 10 yards. I really, really wanted to love my blued commander (IMO the most beautiful gun I've ever owned) but just couldn't trust it. All above pistols were broken-in.
So now, I want try it again, except this time I will be more patient. I will even send them back to the factory if need be. Then I will want to have a little work done here and there by a qualified gunsmith.
This will be my everything pistol, CC, HD, range. Would like it to be lightweight, and commander length. Made in USA (just cause), and blued (just cause). Last, but not least, I want it to be as accurate and reliable as my G-21 (for those that have shot one).
So I guess what I'm asking is what would be the best base pistol that fits my description to be tweaked (bob tailed) later? And let's keep it around 1 grand for now.
Thanks guys.

Last edited by Teecher45; 02-08-2013 at 19:11..
Teecher45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 19:20   #2
ilgunguygt
Enslaved in IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teecher45 View Post
I want a 1911, but I want one of those that works. Every time, all of the time.
A little background. I've owned six 1911's. Two springfield's (1 loaded that was pretty bad as far as not liking hollow points, and an operator with rail that wouldn't eject), one kimber (that was the best shooting pistol I've ever owned but wouldn't work at all with HP's), and 3 Colts. Now, I must profess a liking for Colt. My father used to have an old Cold Govt. that was great as far as reliability goes but lost it in a robbery several years ago. I also have a 6920. So I bought a blued Govt. and it was pretty bad as far as accuracy goes. Since then I've had two Lightweight Commanders and one wouldn't eject a whole magazine to save its (or my) life, the other wouldn't keep 3 out of 5 rounds on a paper plate from 10 yards. I really, really wanted to love my blued commander (IMO the most beautiful gun I've ever owned) but just couldn't trust it. All above pistols were broken-in.
So now, I want try it again, except this time I will be more patient. I will even send them back to the factory if need be. Then I will want to have a little work done here and there by a qualified gunsmith.
This will be my everything pistol, CC, HD, range. Would like it to be lightweight, and commander length. Made in USA (just cause), and blued (just cause). Last, but not least, I want it to be as accurate and reliable as my G-21 (for those that have shot one).
So I guess what I'm asking is what would be the best base pistol that fits my description to be tweaked (bob tailed) later? And let's keep it around 1 grand for now.
Thanks guys.
Colt or Kimber or Springfield + Chuck Rogers = Perfection. Do some searching on that name and see his work. Or wait for someone(you know who you guys are) to post pics of thiers.
Old 02-08-2013, 19:27   #3
Roydrage

TRP

Best Production 1911 without getting into ultra priced models.

I have one 5000rnds without one hickup, I have 3 friends I made get one... 12,000 rounds between them without ONE PROBLEM.

Your Best Friend. It will never let you down....

Put together in the U.S. and fitted by Gunsmiths not machines... expect to pay around $1,500 and worth every penny. Magwell, Ambi Saftey. Ready to go.

JUST GET IT!

Tony
Chief Range Safety Officer
NRA Life Member
Roydrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 19:41   #4
glock2740
Gun lover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilgunguygt View Post
Colt or Kimber or Springfield + Chuck Rogers = Perfection. Do some searching on that name and see his work. Or wait for someone(you know who you guys are) to post pics of thiers.
Chuck Rogers does GREAT work.
glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 19:52   #5
Teecher45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roydrage View Post
TRP

Best Production 1911 without getting into ultra priced models.

I have one 5000rnds without one hickup, I have 3 friends I made get one... 12,000 rounds between them without ONE PROBLEM.

Your Best Friend. It will never let you down....

Put together in the U.S. and fitted by Gunsmiths not machines... expect to pay around $1,500 and worth every penny. Magwell, Ambi Saftey. Ready to go.

JUST GET IT!

Tony
Yes, I have a friend that has one and it is cool. But, do you CC that thing? It seemed like it weighed more than my .44 mag!
Old 02-08-2013, 20:05   #6
Roydrage

Quote:
Yes, I have a friend that has one and it is cool. But, do you CC that thing? It seemed like it weighed more than my .44 mag!
It might be slightly heavier... But it's got to be close... Maybe that's why it feels so, and IS so solid.

You can't have everything...

All I know is... I've got $4k plus guns, and the TRP is on my night stand.

Tony
Chief Range Safety Officer
NRA Life Member
Roydrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 20:21   #7
glock2740
Gun lover.

I'd say the TRP is a great production 1911 without a doubt. I have 3 of them and they're all great.

1911 Forums

1911 Forums

1911 Forums

1911 Forums

1911 Forums

They've all had a little tweeking.

Last edited by glock2740; 02-08-2013 at 20:24..
Old 02-08-2013, 20:29   #8
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Colt Government Model Series 80 in .38Super. I have two of these and they put the fancier Colts to shame. Two guns in two different years' production batches that are that good cant be a fluke.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 02-08-2013, 20:32   #9
Teecher45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roydrage View Post
It might be slightly heavier... But it's got to be close... Maybe that's why it feels so, and IS so solid.

You can't have everything...

All I know is... I've got $4k plus guns, and the TRP is on my night stand.

Tony
Yes, I've got too much in guns too, mostly hunting guns.
But the question is, does anyone actually CC that big damn thing?
Keep in mind my EDC is a G27 in a Theis. Awfully hard to beat.
Old 02-08-2013, 20:41   #10
QNman
resU deretsigeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock2740 View Post
I'd say the TRP is a great production 1911 without a doubt. I have 3 of them and they're all great.

1911 Forums

They've all had a little tweeking.
I gotta know... grips?
"I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration, somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

TERM LIMITS NOW!!!
QNman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 20:46   #11
glock2740
Gun lover.

Quote:
Yes, I've got too much in guns too, mostly hunting guns.
But the question is, does anyone actually CC that big damn thing?
Keep in mind my EDC is a G27 in a Theis. Awfully hard to beat.
With the right belt and holster, it's a breeze to CC a fullsize 1911.
Old 02-08-2013, 20:53   #12
glock2740
Gun lover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QNman View Post
I gotta know... grips?
Here you go.

https://vzgrips.com/gun-grips/1911/a...ger-stripe-g10
Old 02-08-2013, 20:58   #13
Fuerte
Cigar?

I had a STI Trojan for a while. It ran flawlessly.
Old 02-08-2013, 22:08   #14
okie
GT Mayor

Let me say this please, the 1911 was designed to run hardball ammo and we shouldn't get upset if a 1911 doesn't run JHP's. Having said this my SARO runs JHP all day long, and FMJ all day long also. I have NO reason to send my RO off to a smith, it does what it should right out of the box. Teecher45 go have a look see at a Springfield Armory Range Officer

1911 Forums

Last edited by okie; 02-09-2013 at 00:27..
okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 22:20   #15
QNman
resU deretsigeR

Quote:
Thank you!
"I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration, somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

TERM LIMITS NOW!!!
Old 02-08-2013, 22:31   #16
okie
GT Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by QNman View Post
I gotta know... grips?
VZ grip panels for sure

1911 Forums1911 Forums
okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 22:34   #17
Short Cut
CLM Number 88
PatrioticMember

It's kind of funny I think how a lightweight commander seems like such an excellent carry gun, yet they seem to be under represented at your local gunstore particularly ones that are higher end and good to go. For starters a few of the good makers out there don't make a 4.25" commander, they make them 4 inches even. Why does that bother me, dunno, just like the true 4 and a quarter inches a lot better. Brown doesn't make one, Baer stopped making their Concept X, S&W has a PC LW Commander out worth checking on, but the price will be higher than a grand for sure. S&W's regular line of LW Commander are just ok imo after owning 2.

The best I came up with was finding a discontinued Baer Concept X.

1911 Forums

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Short Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 22:41   #18
QNman
resU deretsigeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Short Cut View Post
It's kind of funny I think how a lightweight commander seems like such an excellent carry gun, yet they seem to be under represented at your local gunstore particularly ones that are higher end and good to go. For starters a few of the good makers out there don't make a 4.25" commander, they make them 4 inches even. Why does that bother me, dunno, just like the true 4 and a quarter inches a lot better. Brown doesn't make one, Baer stopped making their Concept X, S&W has a PC LW Commander out worth checking on, but the price will be higher than a grand for sure. S&W's regular line of LW Commander are just ok imo after owning 2.

1911 Forums
Purdy. I need a commander in the collection. Baer is on the list for sure.

TERM LIMITS NOW!!!
Old 02-08-2013, 22:44   #19
glock2740
Gun lover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Short Cut View Post

1911 Forums
I agree, I'm a huge fan of LW Commanders and CCO's. But, Brown has always made a true Commander in 4.25". And they've been making a LW KC for over a year. My KC isn't the LW frame, but it's bobtailed and I love it all the same.

Last edited by glock2740; 02-08-2013 at 22:44..
Old 02-08-2013, 22:59   #20
Short Cut
CLM Number 88
PatrioticMember

Quote:
I agree, I'm a huge fan of LW Commanders and CCO's. But, Brown has always made a true Commander in 4.25". And they've been making a LW KC for over a year. My KC isn't the LW frame, but it's bobtailed and I love it all the same.
Well color me behind the times, the Brown LW news hadn't hit me here in CA behind enemy lines. Is it bobtailed only? The bobtail is a heck of an inovation for carry, but personally I just can't get used to how it points especially if I'm also shooting non-bobtailed 1911s.

I'll check it out. Thanks 2740.

Short Cut is offline   Reply With Quote