Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:12   #1
Leigh

Savage 24C Good Price?

LGS has a Camper's Companion (22 LR over 20 gauge) with brown takedown case (looks like tan vinyl).
The rifle is minty with zero dings, scratches, etc....guy asking $350....pass or not?
Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:35   #2
CajunBass

Send a message via AIM to CajunBass
I'd take it at that price. They don't turn up to often, especially not in that configuration. It's the perfect what I call a "pot hunter" gun. Whatever shows up, goes in the pot.

I had one years ago, and rather foolishly traded it off. It's one of the very few guns I regret trading.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
CajunBass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:10   #3
VA27

I'd jump on it for that price!

The NRA is my union.
VA27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:55   #4
Wyoming

Send a message via Yahoo to Wyoming

What they said. But it if it is still there.
Old 02-09-2013, 13:40   #5
countrygun

Grab it. I stumble in to one a bit cheaper and the owner of the gunshop still rags me about how I took advantage of him. We're friends but he knows now that when they show up around here the get $450 and up for them. The .22/20 is my favorite of the combinations, much better than the .410 IMO. If I didn't have one I'd easily go $450 for one.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 13:49   #6
countrygun

Here she is wit ha custom Myrtlewood stock. Since I only paid $325 I though that a little fancy would be nice. I don't know if all of them are so well regulated or if it's luck, but a 25ydzero with most .22 ammo is a 50 yd zeo for Remington 20 ga slugs and the pattern with #6 field loads is "Minute of rabbit" at 20 yds.

General Firearms Forum
Old 02-09-2013, 14:20   #7
Fox
Varmit Control

A great foraging gun.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 15:50   #8
JLA

I would grab it ASAP! I had one too and sold it a few years ago because I needed the money. Wish I had it back!
Old 02-09-2013, 16:01   #9
Leigh

Got it! Actually wanted one since I was a kid when I saw it in a gun rag in the late 70's.

The vinyl case is a little cheesy with one small tear but after a quick cleaning to the rifle(mostly lint/dust, zero rust anywhere), I realized how much nicer it was than my intital description!

Any place (other than calling Savage) I might locate a "born-on" date?

Barrel marked 'Series S' with a serial number E2765xx.

Will be posting a few pics later and thanks to all for the great advice!

Last edited by Leigh; 02-09-2013 at 16:09..
Old 02-09-2013, 16:11   #10
RRP

Looks like you got a good deal.
RRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 18:58   #11
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
Got it! Actually wanted one since I was a kid when I saw it in a gun rag in the late 70's.

The vinyl case is a little cheesy with one small tear but after a quick cleaning to the rifle(mostly lint/dust, zero rust anywhere), I realized how much nicer it was than my intital description!

Any place (other than calling Savage) I might locate a "born-on" date?

Barrel marked 'Series S' with a serial number E2765xx.

Will be posting a few pics later and thanks to all for the great advice!
Sounds great.

Old 02-09-2013, 19:21   #12
Haldor
Retired EE

A bit high, but every gun seems to be selling at a premium these days. This is probably because all the people who sold cheap ARs and GI mags for 3 times their previous price are investing their gains in other guns. I know I did.

I paid $250 for mine about 2-3 years ago, but I also spent 6 months looking for it. Considering how scarce these are I would probably pay $350 for a nice example.

The 20 gauge is going to kick more than a bit (it makes a really lousy skeet gun, ask me how I know). I thought about putting a recoil pad on mine and decided that considering what it is intended for I can put up the occasional sore shoulder. I have mine in one of those corrosion resistant bags and it lives in my SUV inside a Pac-Safe. I figure if I am ever broke down in the wilderness (this is a 4 wheel drive after all and I am therefore permitted to dream) that I couldn't ask for a better wilderness survival gun. I keep the following ammo with it:

Brick of 500: .22 LR
50: #6 High Brass Game Load
25: #3 Buck
25: 3/4 oz Slugs

The media would undoubtedly get all excited about my arsenal (who could possibly need 500 evil rifle bullets and 100 deadly shotgun shells!) if I ever came to somebodies attention.

The point is this is my primary bug-out weapon. I want to be able hunt for the pot and take any large animals I come across if there is a reason to do so. I figure that is sufficient to take care of my needs for an extended period of time.

If you are going to store it in a vehicle I strongly recommend getting a Pac Safe. It will protect the gun against a smash and grab theft and will also ensure your kids can't get their hands on it.

General Firearms ForumGeneral Firearms Forum

http://pacsafe.com/pacsafe-55l-bag-protector
Guys! Guys! He's down! Stop kicking him! If he shows up on another thread, Tasers are indicated, but for now, let him slink off into the shadows to lick his wounds and ponder how deeply cool and misunderstood he is!
Hoot nred Mrs. Vr.

Last edited by Haldor; 02-09-2013 at 19:22..
Haldor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 19:25   #13
Haldor
Retired EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
Here she is wit ha custom Myrtlewood stock. Since I only paid $325 I though that a little fancy would be nice. I don't know if all of them are so well regulated or if it's luck, but a 25ydzero with most .22 ammo is a 50 yd zeo for Remington 20 ga slugs and the pattern with #6 field loads is "Minute of rabbit" at 20 yds.

General Firearms Forum
Did you get that with the custom stocks for $325? If so then you did steal it.

When are you going to start selling them custom Myrtlewood stocks? I would take a set.

Mine is very accurate. I hate leaf style sights, but I can't complain about the accuracy. I wish there was a simple way to mount a Williams 5D peep sight on it.
Guys! Guys! He's down! Stop kicking him! If he shows up on another thread, Tasers are indicated, but for now, let him slink off into the shadows to lick his wounds and ponder how deeply cool and misunderstood he is!
Hoot nred Mrs. Vr.

Last edited by Haldor; 02-09-2013 at 20:22..
Old 02-09-2013, 19:28   #14
Haldor
Retired EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRP View Post
Looks like you got a good deal.
Must be one of them-thar semi-automatic AR-24C's. That price is pure foolishness and he didn't get it either. Interesting that the seller put a non-even starting bid on it ($1469), I guess he wanted to fool someone into thinking somebody had actually bid that much for it.
Hoot nred Mrs. Vr.

Last edited by Haldor; 02-09-2013 at 19:32..
Old 02-09-2013, 22:08   #15
Leigh

[QUOTE=Haldor;19969010]I paid $250 for mine about 2-3 years ago, but I also spent 6 months looking for it. Considering how scarce these are I would probably pay $350 for a nice example.

I actually "stumbled" across this one...LGS (pawn shop) just took it out of pawn. I would have loved to get it for $100 less but as mentioned, you don't see a lot of them around these days.

Comparing the 20 gauge tube to my other shotguns, it appears to be cylinder bore, is this correct?

All in all, I'm quite pleased.

Interesting warning on the barrel..."DO NOT FIRE THE SHOTGUN WITH SCOPE ATTACHED."
Old 02-09-2013, 22:18   #16
countrygun

[quote=Leigh;19969590]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldor View Post
I paid $250 for mine about 2-3 years ago, but I also spent 6 months looking for it. Considering how scarce these are I would probably pay $350 for a nice example.

I actually "stumbled" across this one...LGS (pawn shop) just took it out of pawn. I would have loved to get it for $100 less but as mentioned, you don't see a lot of them around these days.

Comparing the 20 gauge tube to my other shotguns, it appears to be cylinder bore, is this correct?

All in all, I'm quite pleased.

Interesting warning on the barrel..."DO NOT FIRE THE SHOTGUN WITH SCOPE ATTACHED."
Put the price in perspective.

I bought this one a little over 2 years ago. Just the week before some one I know found out I had one of the CZ made Springfield M-6s .410.,22s. I was frankly tired of it. Not very useful to me. I paid $195 for it new ten years earlier. Apparently this guy had been shopping for one on the internet and they had gone ludicrous. He offered me $350 for it. I still had the money when I picked my Savage up.

BTW At the gunshow I bought the M-6 at there was a 24c w/case that was $325 then and I thought it was crazy. By the time I secured the M-6 someone had paid the non-negotiable price for the Savage. That'is how popular they are around here.
Old 02-10-2013, 13:37   #17
method

That price isn't a bit high at all. The Camper is one of the more valuable 24 variants.
method is offline   Reply With Quote