GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-02-2013, 13:34   #21
itstime

I'll wait for the episode of Hardcore Pawn when she sells it and he gets thrown out of the store demanding its his ring.
itstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 13:45   #22
HandyMan Hugh
NRA Life Member

She keeps the ring. The cad will soon discover that "He who marries for money will EARN it!"

Last edited by HandyMan Hugh; 02-02-2013 at 13:46..
HandyMan Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 13:47   #23
okie
GT Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBO View Post
Screen name?
I doubt he is a GT'r
okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 13:47   #24
okie
GT Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by itstime View Post
I'll wait for the episode of Hardcore Pawn when she sells it and he gets thrown out of the store demanding its his ring.
That would be worth watching for sure
Old 02-02-2013, 13:55   #25
okie
GT Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyMan Hugh View Post
She keeps the ring. The cad will soon discover that "He who marries for money will EARN it!"
I hope he does, and I'm sure he will. Before he married he asked some of his fellow countrymen and women if they wanted to chip in on gas and vacation in Florida for a week, they said yes. On the way his van got broken into and everything inside ripped off, he called the police and his insurance, his insurance co told him to have everyone write down what they had stolen and the dollar amount and they would send him a big check and he could give the people their share. I don't think the people did it but he told them to write down way more value than what the stuff was worth, he said insurance co's screw us, we are going to screw them. He ended up keeping ALL the money, didn't give anyone their fair share
Old 02-02-2013, 14:01   #26
VinnieD

The tradition of men giving women jewelry as engagement, wedding, and anniversary gifts began around the same time as divorce, so that if the man divorced his wife the woman could sell the jewelry as a means of supporting herself for a while. So the protocol is, she keeps the ring as compensation for the broken promise.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
VinnieD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 14:12   #27
BUICKSPEC6231

She keeps the ring. He offered the ring to her as an engagement. Many courts have ruled that the exchange of engagement ring is the same as a written and signed contract. By him breaking the "contract" off, he has violated the agreement and has to suffer the loss.
BUICKSPEC6231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 15:00   #28
GVFlyer

My response that it was good form to return the ring reflected the laws of etiquette which absolutely require you to return an engagement ring when the engagement is broken.

The laws of most states classify an engagement ring as a conditional gift and also require the return of the ring.

"Conditional gifts are the exception to the rule that gifts cannot be revoked if given properly. Though the receiver may be able to prove that the engagement ring was a gift, the ring could still be returned to the giver if the court considers the engagement ring a conditional gift.

A conditional gift is one where the giver gives the gift to the receiver with the expectation that some future event or action will take place. If the agreed-upon event does not occur or the agreed-upon condition is not met, then the gift-giver has the right to get the gift back. The majority of courts classify engagement rings as a conditional gift, and award the engagement ring to the giver in broken engagement cases."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by GVFlyer; 02-02-2013 at 15:01..
GVFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 15:39   #29
Buki192327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
The standard protocol is, "if she breaks up she gives back the ring, if he breaks up she keeps it."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinytop View Post
Yup, that's the way I have always understood it. I will concede special circumstances such as bad behavior could change the rules.

Club #46
Buki192327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 15:59   #30
Zonny

Sticking it up is ass is what comes to mind for me.
Zonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:22   #31
Texas357
CLM Number 224
Señor Member

This is why family heirloons shouldn't be used as engagement rings. He gave it to her, HE broke it off, SHE gets to pawn it or drop it off a bridge, as she sees fit.

"I nominate you for President of Texas!" - Dr. Octagon
"I accept your nomination, and thank you for your vote."- Texas357
Texas357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 13:26   #32
Wyoming

Send a message via Yahoo to Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
The standard protocol is, "if she breaks up she gives back the ring, if he breaks up she keeps it."
Okie this has always been the correct protocol.

Maybe in today's world anything goes but to ask for the ring back is very low class.
Old 02-03-2013, 14:20   #33
Bruce H

Oh she should give it back allright. Place it over his manhood, lay manhood on an anvil and hit it three times with a four pound hammer so it won't fall off.
Old 02-03-2013, 20:48   #34
railfancwb

In fairness to the guy, if his wife recently died, the whole series of events may be part of his grieving and coming to terms with his loss. Same thing ma happen to GF two. But that I think he should expect the ring(s) back...

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 02-03-2013, 22:00   #35
Wyoming

Send a message via Yahoo to Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by railfancwb View Post
In fairness to the guy, if his wife recently died, the whole series of events may be part of his grieving and coming to terms with his loss. Same thing ma happen to GF two. But that I think he should expect the ring(s) back...

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
I lost my first wife at the age of 37. it hurt a lot but it is no excuse for treating some one else poorly.

What he did is break his word. He asked her to marry him and gave her a engagement ring. He later broke off the engagement which in it self is OK but to ask for or expect the engagement ring back is wrong.
Old 02-03-2013, 22:04   #36
Never Nervous

Tell him to pound sand. Don't know if that's protocol.

NN
Old 02-04-2013, 08:11   #37
okie
GT Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Nervous View Post
Tell him to pound sand. Don't know if that's protocol.

NN
May as well be, huh
Old 02-04-2013, 08:17   #38
Haldor
Retired EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie View Post
This man I grew up around, his wife died, and he started dating another woman. After a short time he asked her for her hand in marriage and give her a ring and they set the date for like 6 months down the road. A few months later he meets a lady that was prettier than his girlfriend and she also had money. He dumps the lady and marries the new lady, he also went to old GF and asked for ring back. Is this lady obligated to give him the ring back or does she kick him in the nuts and say "Get thee away from me Satan"
The woman did nothing wrong. He broke the engagement. She keeps the ring.

That is why Moissanite was invented. You would have to be an idiot to spend serious money on a rock.

www.moissanite.com
Guys! Guys! He's down! Stop kicking him! If he shows up on another thread, Tasers are indicated, but for now, let him slink off into the shadows to lick his wounds and ponder how deeply cool and misunderstood he is!
Hoot nred Mrs. Vr.
Haldor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:29   #39
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKLovingIT View Post
I believe since he broke off the engagement, barring misconduct on her part, she should keep the ring.

If a woman breaks off an engagement, again barring misconduct, she should give the ring back.

Misconduct or good cause to break it off, to me defined as cheating or lying about something very material to marriage like already being married, lying about a prior engagement or marriage, a huge mountain of hidden debt, lying about being able to have kids if that was a consideration, etc.

If you just get cold feet or change your mind, that's fine. No one should get married if they don't want to, but the decent thing to do is give up or give back the ring as the case may be.
This.

She needs to do a Number 6 on his sorry behind. Then find a large man to rape him at the Number 6 Dance later that night.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:55   #40
okie
GT Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis in MA View Post
This.

She needs to do a Number 6 on his sorry behind. Then find a large man to rape him at the Number 6 Dance later that night.
Do I dare ask what a Number 6 is