SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:30   #1
okie
GT Mayor

What's standard protocol?

This man I grew up around, his wife died, and he started dating another woman. After a short time he asked her for her hand in marriage and give her a ring and they set the date for like 6 months down the road. A few months later he meets a lady that was prettier than his girlfriend and she also had money. He dumps the lady and marries the new lady, he also went to old GF and asked for ring back. Is this lady obligated to give him the ring back or does she kick him in the nuts and say "Get thee away from me Satan"
okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:34   #2
SC Tiger
Some say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie View Post
This man I grew up around, his wife died, and he started dating another woman. After a short time he asked her for her hand in marriage and give her a ring and they set the date for like 6 months down the road. A few months later he meets a lady that was prettier than his girlfriend and she also had money. He dumps the lady and marries the new lady, he also went to old GF and asked for ring back. Is this lady obligated to give him the ring back or does she kick him in the nuts and say "Get thee away from me Satan"
No idea but I don't think there is a standard protocol for anything like that...

Quote:
If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.
SC Tiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:35   #3
WT

She keeps the ring. It is a reward for all those hot, sweaty nights in the sack and empty promises.
WT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:36   #4
Atlas
transmogrifier

If she's smart she tells him to get lost, takes the ring to a pawn shop, and uses the proceeds to take a vacation.

Uncontrolled, unaccountable government spending + Graduated income-tax = SLAVERY
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:36   #5
okie
GT Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT View Post
She keeps the ring. It is a reward for all those hot, sweaty nights in the sack and empty promises.
That would be my thought my friend
Old 02-02-2013, 09:56   #6
skinny99
Crew Chief

She keeps the ring. Rings are a forever gift, even if they can't keep the promise that goes with it. I haven't given a ring for that reason.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:23   #7
HKLovingIT
Resident Evil

I believe since he broke off the engagement, barring misconduct on her part, she should keep the ring.

If a woman breaks off an engagement, again barring misconduct, she should give the ring back.

Misconduct or good cause to break it off, to me defined as cheating or lying about something very material to marriage like already being married, lying about a prior engagement or marriage, a huge mountain of hidden debt, lying about being able to have kids if that was a consideration, etc.

If you just get cold feet or change your mind, that's fine. No one should get married if they don't want to, but the decent thing to do is give up or give back the ring as the case may be.

кто пукнул здесь?
Nescio, sed foetet.

Last edited by HKLovingIT; 02-02-2013 at 10:25..
HKLovingIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:30   #8
okie
GT Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKLovingIT View Post
I believe since he broke off the engagement, barring misconduct on her part, she should keep the ring.

If a woman breaks off an engagement, again barring misconduct, she should give the ring back.

Misconduct or good cause to break it off, to me defined as cheating or lying about something very material to marriage like already being married, lying about a prior engagement or marriage, a huge mountain of hidden debt, lying about being able to have kids if that was a consideration, etc.

If you just get cold feet or change your mind, that's fine. No one should get married if they don't want to, but the decent thing to do is give up or give back the ring as the case may be.
To the the very best of my knowledge she did nothing wrong
Old 02-02-2013, 11:09   #9
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
The standard protocol is, "if she breaks up she gives back the ring, if he breaks up she keeps it."
Old 02-02-2013, 11:29   #10
Shinytop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
The standard protocol is, "if she breaks up she gives back the ring, if he breaks up she keeps it."
Yup, that's the way I have always understood it. I will concede special circumstances such as bad behavior could change the rules.
Shinytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:30   #11
jsg34
Blade Runner

Oklahoma!
jsg34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:35   #12
GVFlyer

It's good form to return the ring. Her behavior shouldn't reflect his.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
GVFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:47   #13
okie
GT Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsg34 View Post
Oklahoma!
Kansas
Old 02-02-2013, 11:59   #14
FullClip
CLM Number 171
NRA Benefactor

In Maine the normal thing to do is arm-wrestle for it!!

But I go along with the deal that if he breaks it off, he's out the ring and she can do what she wants with it.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:08   #15
larry_minn
Silver Membership

She should tell him she already gave it to her "hot partner" that she was just about to introduce into relationship.

really it was a gift. If he didn't do a pre nup with it listed too dang bad.
What you give is given. Show a HINT of class. If you decide the person is NOT for you (really for any reason) and break it off. The proper thing is to apoligize, accept any name calling as legit, and move on.
I once thought I had "found the one" I would have married her. Then we realized it would NOT have worked out. (she was not trustworthy) Good thing is we didn't go "too far"
larry_minn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:15   #16
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
This man I grew up around, his wife died, and he started dating another woman. After a short time he asked her for her hand in marriage and give her a ring...

A few months later he meets a lady that was prettier than his girlfriend and she also had money. He dumps the lady and marries the new lady.

He also went to old GF and asked for ring back. Is this lady obligated to give him the ring back or does she kick him in the nuts and say "Get thee away from me Satan"
No give ring back. As someone already posted, she should pawn the ring and enjoy the money. And let him know how much she enjoyed his (converted) gift!

In a gunfight, even if you do everything right, you can still get killed.
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 13:06   #17
Redheadhunter21

He didn't give it to her to borrow it, then why should she give it back.

It's hers to keep and do whatever she pleases with it.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Redheadhunter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 13:19   #18
Brian Lee
Drop those nuts

Quote:
.............. kick him in the nuts and say "Get thee away from me Satan"

I think this is the answer, except that she should have one of her brothers do the nut-kicking to make sure the pain is maximized.
Brian Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 13:26   #19
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Screen name?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 13:32   #20
itstime

She keeps the ring Okie.
itstime is offline   Reply With Quote