GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 12:11   #51
HollowHead
Firm member
 
HollowHead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam
Posts: 23,068


Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying-Dutchman View Post
Without brick and mortar stores, how are you going to actually inspect the item first before buying it on Amazon?
Doing anything like that is beneath contempt. HH
__________________
Never trust a pastor with a day job.

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.
HollowHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:23   #52
sharpshooter
Member
 
sharpshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: NV
Posts: 5,087
What do you mean by "inspect"? Remove the item you're going to buy from the box so you can kick the tires? Or view the display item?

Touching a display item at a brick and mortar store is largely old fashioned. For TVs etc yes, sometimes. 90% of the time I'm fine reading online reviews and ordering that way. You can gather a TON more information about a product by researching online than you can by looking at it in the store.

Back in the day people mail ordered stuff all the time from catologs. For some it was the ONLY way, and still is unless you want to drive into town and waste your day. "Going shopping" is a luxery, not a necessity. A lot of folks hate it.

Last edited by sharpshooter; 02-03-2013 at 12:27..
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:59   #53
guns54
toni
 
guns54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,744
Ordering on line is helping them, Its only helping them to close?
__________________
be honest and kind and it will come back to you in many ways.
guns54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 14:02   #54
PaulMason
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
What do you mean by "inspect"? Remove the item you're going to buy from the box so you can kick the tires? Or view the display item?

Touching a display item at a brick and mortar store is largely old fashioned. For TVs etc yes, sometimes. 90% of the time I'm fine reading online reviews and ordering that way. You can gather a TON more information about a product by researching online than you can by looking at it in the store.

Back in the day people mail ordered stuff all the time from catologs. For some it was the ONLY way, and still is unless you want to drive into town and waste your day. "Going shopping" is a luxery, not a necessity. A lot of folks hate it.
The Sears catalog used to sell a whole house.
PaulMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 14:13   #55
captainstormy
Senior Member
 
captainstormy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 3,935
Send a message via ICQ to captainstormy Send a message via AIM to captainstormy Send a message via Yahoo to captainstormy
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoF250 View Post
I don't know how Gamestop and Radio Shack are still open. Who goes to RadioShack anymore? Gamestop is just games you could get a bunch of other places. I think the other should fair much better because they offer convenience or sell something you do not want to order - clothes, tools etc.
Gamestop is still in business because they have a great business model.

Yes, you can buy a new game anywhere. But after your done with it, you can trade it in for store credit, and you can also buy used games.

Personally I rarely buy a new game. I might be 1-2 new games per year, but buy many many more used games for half the price or less.

It's also the only physical retailer of games for most people. Even here in Columbus, there are only 2-3 small mom and pop game shops left and they are bound to close soon I'm sure. In my home town in Central KY, Gamestop is the only place aside from Wal-mart you could buy anything game related.

As for Radio Shack, I don't have a clue.
__________________
I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. - John Bernard Books(John Wayne in The Shootist)
captainstormy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 14:32   #56
RonS
Senior Member
 
RonS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Oh, USA
Posts: 10,171
Radio Shack survives because when people who don't do the Google thing need to replace the battery in their wireless phone, they can take it in and get the right battery pack, with the correct pigtail. Same with other small electronic repair parts. I wanted to replace the connector on a nice, old set of ear phones. Went to Radio Shack and picked up a nice gold plated plug and fixed them up. Not worth shipping an item that cost less than $5.00. Same with a polarized D plug AC cord. Needed it, wasn't worth ordering it and they had a selection. I don't see them expanding much, but I sure hope they stay around.
__________________
Decent law abiding people must fear criminals and the law while criminals have nothing to fear.
RonS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 14:37   #57
kiole
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainstormy View Post
Gamestop is still in business because they have a great business model.

Yes, you can buy a new game anywhere. But after your done with it, you can trade it in for store credit, and you can also buy used games.

Personally I rarely buy a new game. I might be 1-2 new games per year, but buy many many more used games for half the price or less.

It's also the only physical retailer of games for most people. Even here in Columbus, there are only 2-3 small mom and pop game shops left and they are bound to close soon I'm sure. In my home town in Central KY, Gamestop is the only place aside from Wal-mart you could buy anything game related.

As for Radio Shack, I don't have a clue.
Problem with their model is developers are starting to require online game passes. This makes a used game cost an additional 10$ to enable online play. Also their in big trouble as the industry transfers to digital distribution.

Last edited by kiole; 02-03-2013 at 14:37..
kiole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 14:55   #58
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn
 
Dennis in MA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Taunton, MA
Posts: 52,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMason View Post
The Sears catalog used to sell a whole house.
And provide a household of clean asses all year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonS View Post
Radio Shack survives because when people who don't do the Google thing need to replace the battery in their wireless phone, they can take it in and get the right battery pack, with the correct pigtail. Same with other small electronic repair parts. I wanted to replace the connector on a nice, old set of ear phones. Went to Radio Shack and picked up a nice gold plated plug and fixed them up. Not worth shipping an item that cost less than $5.00. Same with a polarized D plug AC cord. Needed it, wasn't worth ordering it and they had a selection. I don't see them expanding much, but I sure hope they stay around.
And a useless free battery a month. Don't forget that!
__________________
The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be the shepherd.
Dennis in MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 15:12   #59
Southwind
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Southwest Indiana
Posts: 98
You're right. I misread, sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying-Dutchman View Post
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2576293.html

http://ycharts.com/companies/AMZN/profit_margin

“For all of 2012, the company booked a net loss of $39 million, or 9 cents per share, down from a profit of $631 million, or $1.37 per share.”

Amazon’s total profits since inception are $5.1 Billion. Bezos’ net worth of $23 Billion is from his stock holdings created from a bubble not from profits.

http://ycharts.com/companies/AMZN/pe_ratio

If you want to invest in a company currently with a 3,633 p/e ratio because it is a media darling, go for it.

Problem is Newegg.com or some other online company may trounce it one day.
Southwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 16:12   #60
JW1178
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,985
Add GNC to that list.

The world is constantly changing, so is business. One thing fades away as something better comes along. Better get with the new business model or you'll be out of business.

1 For you "tire kickers", we have something better now for the most part, it's called the reviews sections. So you can't actually look at it yourself, but word of mouth speaks volumes. The only problem is when it comes to new products. On establisthed products, you can have great advertising, sells well, and has all this scientific backing saying it's the best of the best, then you go on forums and reviews, that can all change. This has pro's and con's, but in the long run, the pro's outweigh the cons.

2. Small business employ people, but so does the shipping business and other big business. Saving money on one product leaves the consumer with more money so they can buy more, so it works out in the end.

Like I said, the world is changing. Sometimes for one person it might be great, for another, it might be the worse thing ever. So the only thing to do is change as well. The surfer knows he has to stay on top of the wave.
JW1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 16:18   #61
bear62
Senior Member
 
bear62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Rocky Mountains
Posts: 1,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoF250 View Post
I don't know how Gamestop and Radio Shack are still open. Who goes to RadioShack anymore? Gamestop is just games you could get a bunch of other places. I think the other should fair much better because they offer convenience or sell something you do not want to order - clothes, tools etc.
Interesting that you mention that ......... I probably haven't been in a RadioShack in more than ten years.....
__________________
"I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it." ~Clint Eastwood
bear62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 19:33   #62
railfancwb
Senior Member
 
railfancwb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Shelbyville, Tennessee TN
Posts: 3,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by norton View Post
I am amazed that sales tax has not been collected for out of State purchases all along.

Personally I would like to see a VAT tax and then eliminate the property tax to fund local schools, library etc. Of course I know what would happen. The VAT would be introduced and the property tax would not go away.
Sales tax has not generally been collected on Internet sales because there are thousands (maybe tens of thousands) of different rates and degrees of partial exemption in the country. State and local governments change the rates and exemptions or partial exemptions regularly. I suspect that even Amazon has not sold into every combination. Zip codes might sound like a way to relate tax rates and transactions but they aren't since the post offices do not consider sales tax jurisdictions when assigning zip codes.

NO Vat, please. "Our" governments already have too many hands in our pockets. Any reduction in sales or property or income tax made as a way to sell people on Vat would be only temporary.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
"Never give to your friend any power that your enemy may some day inherit." -- Paul Weyrich
railfancwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 19:55   #63
njl
Senior Member
 
njl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: :noitacoL
Posts: 9,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by railfancwb View Post
Sales tax has not generally been collected on Internet sales because there are thousands (maybe tens of thousands) of different rates and degrees of partial exemption in the country. State and local governments change the rates and exemptions or partial exemptions regularly. I suspect that even Amazon has not sold into every combination. Zip codes might sound like a way to relate tax rates and transactions but they aren't since the post offices do not consider sales tax jurisdictions when assigning zip codes.
Yeah...keeping track of tax rates for an address (state, county, city) would be a major PITA (or a business opportunity, depending on how you look at it).

Simple solutions:

a) sales tax is collected based on the seller's location

b) sales tax for interstate mail order is collected Federally at a uniform rate, and that money is divided among the states
__________________
what guns?
Lifetime GSSF & NRA.
njl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 20:34   #64
captainstormy
Senior Member
 
captainstormy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 3,935
Send a message via ICQ to captainstormy Send a message via AIM to captainstormy Send a message via Yahoo to captainstormy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylenewman View Post
Problem with their model is developers are starting to require online game passes. This makes a used game cost an additional 10$ to enable online play. Also their in big trouble as the industry transfers to digital distribution.
True, the new games I buy are games like Battlefield and borderlands that I intend to play online.

Most of the games I play though are single player games like Skyrim, Dragon age, Assiasian''s creed or mass effect (never cared for their multiplier) . There isn't any difference in new/used for those.
__________________
I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. - John Bernard Books(John Wayne in The Shootist)
captainstormy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 20:45   #65
ChiTownPicaro
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by norton View Post
I am amazed that sales tax has not been collected for out of State purchases all along.

Personally I would like to see a VAT tax and then eliminate the property tax to fund local schools, library etc. Of course I know what would happen. The VAT would be introduced and the property tax would not go away.
Property taxes should not fund schools. People with kids should just pay the cost and not force everyone to pay for it. It is socialism and it is disgusting. It might cost these people $5,000 a kid, but that aint my problem. Can't afford to pay for your little darling to get an education, well that isn't my problem.
ChiTownPicaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 22:00   #66
wavetrain75
Useless Member
 
wavetrain75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis in MA View Post
And a useless free battery a month. Don't forget that!
You jerk, now I feel old.
__________________
The United States of America: 1776-2012. You will be missed, but not forgotten.
wavetrain75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 23:46   #67
HollowHead
Firm member
 
HollowHead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam
Posts: 23,068


Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownPicaro View Post
Property taxes should not fund schools. People with kids should just pay the cost and not force everyone to pay for it. It is socialism and it is disgusting. It might cost these people $5,000 a kid, but that aint my problem. Can't afford to pay for your little darling to get an education, well that isn't my problem.
Using that tenuous logic, property taxes shouldn't pay for anything. HH
__________________
Never trust a pastor with a day job.

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.
HollowHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:43   #68
Flying-Dutchman
Senior Member
 
Flying-Dutchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,074
From the Financial Times -

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/1659b...44feab49a.html

“Credit market investors are falling out of love with US shopping malls as up to 15 per cent of the country’s suburban retail centres are forecast to close over the next five years in the face of online competition.”
Flying-Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:50   #69
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn
 
Dennis in MA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Taunton, MA
Posts: 52,499
Online competition and high cost to operate. The NEW model for shopping malls is those outdoor thingies. A few strips of smaller stores and several anchors. NO indoor areas at all. Cuts down maintenance, security and cleaning to near zero. Brilliant strategy.

Think of your local mall. How many stores can you name? I can't name more than 10 and I know the thing is 1/3 vacant. ONE THIRD! There are some super-malls near me that seem to do well - because they have so much. The "regular" ones are dying on the vine. And I'm OK with that.

Sucky part - I learned 25 years ago in a RE Fin class that a mall takes 20 years to break even. WHOOPS!
__________________
The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be the shepherd.
Dennis in MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:22   #70
railfancwb
Senior Member
 
railfancwb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Shelbyville, Tennessee TN
Posts: 3,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMason View Post
The Sears catalog used to sell a whole house.
And automobiles...


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
"Never give to your friend any power that your enemy may some day inherit." -- Paul Weyrich
railfancwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:24   #71
Restless28
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Solsbury Hill
Posts: 16,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying-Dutchman View Post
From the Financial Times -

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/1659b...44feab49a.html

“Credit market investors are falling out of love with US shopping malls as up to 15 per cent of the country’s suburban retail centres are forecast to close over the next five years in the face of online competition.”
It's just a matter of time until the commercial property debt bubble bursts. My guess is, that fire will take care of many of these properties.
Restless28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:33   #72
rj1939
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Peoples Republic of IL
Posts: 1,522
Staples and Worst Buy have screwed me for the last time. I'm only in China Mart about four times a year.
__________________
NRA Endowment member. Bitter voter clinging to ....... and religion.

No matter how cynical I get, I can't seem to keep up
rj1939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:02   #73
larry_minn
Silver Membership
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 17,799
Regards Sears (and Wards) I bought my first pump shotgun thru Wards. (true the barrel was more then a HINT to left) :( IIRC Western field a mossberg knockoff)
My grandparents had a Sears house. My cousin just remodeled it. Two story with basement.
larry_minn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:14   #74
GeorgiaGlocker
IBTL
 
GeorgiaGlocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,378
I don't think JCP will last much longer although they have gone back to placing items on sale. Just saw a commerical about them a couple of days ago. I am really surprised that Kmart is still around.
__________________
The problem in our country today is that we spend more time on making sure we are politically correct instead of making sure we are biblically correct.

www.georgiacarry.org
GeorgiaGlocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:46   #75
ChiTownPicaro
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollowHead View Post
Using that tenuous logic, property taxes shouldn't pay for anything. HH
Some thing we all use like clean air and clean water. But roads and schools are not amongst them.
ChiTownPicaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 15:35.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,128
340 Members
788 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42