SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-02-2013, 15:32   #26
2bgop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detectorist View Post
If we value our local business then we should be paying sales tax on online sales.
You are free to do that. In MO, the DOR can even give you the form you need to send in with your tax money.
2bgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 17:20   #27
costanza187
I like Macs

Looking at that list, yea I can agree that it wouldn't surprise me to see pretty much any of them go away. Maybe the exception of Best Buy, seems like at least locally they are a pretty popular place.

I have the Amazon Prime thing and yea, for a lot of stuff like video games, I have looked at GameStop, then whipped out my phone and ordered the same thing off Amazon even cheaper. A lot of their used video games and stuff can be found remarkably cheap.

I am honestly surprised that Sears/Kmart is still in business. JCP, that little stunt they pulled before cost them a lot of customers. I hear they have re-thought that stance, but that is still going to be pretty damaging.
Old 02-02-2013, 18:00   #28
droidfire

Like the poster above, amazon prime member.

It's extremely rare for any other business to compete with an item I want that is included in prime.

Until the .gov stops using us smokers as a way to fix budget shortfalls, local business has to beat prime first.

99.99999999% of the time amazon wins.

Food is the only exception to the rule - america is becoming a service country.

Last edited by droidfire; 02-02-2013 at 18:01..
droidfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 18:26   #29
The Fed

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_minn View Post
Interresting idea.....

How about buying local when you can? I must admit there are some local businesses I don't patronize. I might piss on building if it was on fire. Amazing thing is both places are next to each other. (third half mile away) Ripped me off. Which has cost them thousands a yr.
Sadly that entire town suffers. (I have no reason to go there, I drive 16 miles more)
I buy from Ace Hardware when they have what I need. Costs more, but without them I would need to drive a lot farther.

Last edited by The Fed; 02-02-2013 at 18:27..
The Fed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 18:41   #30
jame
mange takk

I'm an Amazon Prime member as well, and I'll say that I really do like it.

However, there are a ton of things I do at work, on the farm, or at home, that I need something absolutely right now. It's nice being able to run to town to pick up what ever it takes to get me through.
jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 19:34   #31
railfancwb

I would miss Barnes & Noble - I love to browse bookstores. I would miss Radio Shack for its odds and ends parts...probably miss it more than B&N in fact.

The others on the list I wouldn't really miss. Office Max, Office Depot, Staples - any one of the three could provide what little I might need in office supplies...as could Walmart and Amazon.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 02-02-2013, 21:09   #32
Spiffums
I.C.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoF250 View Post
I don't know how Gamestop and Radio Shack are still open. Who goes to RadioShack anymore? Gamestop is just games you could get a bunch of other places. I think the other should fair much better because they offer convenience or sell something you do not want to order - clothes, tools etc.
I usually go twice a year because I need some small DIY electronic whiz bang I can't get at Wallyworld.
Old 02-03-2013, 00:24   #33
Durden

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoF250 View Post
I don't know how Gamestop and Radio Shack are still open. Who goes to RadioShack anymore? Gamestop is just games you could get a bunch of other places. I think the other should fair much better because they offer convenience or sell something you do not want to order - clothes, tools etc.
Radio Shack, Michael's, Sears/Kmart, Macy's, Sports Authority, JC Penny's, Jiffy Lube, Barnes & Noble, Branigan's Restaurant, Logan's Roadhouse, Autozone, Pier One Imports, Joe's Crab Shack, Del Taco, Dillard's, Dick's Sporting Goods, Rite Aid (ghetto city)....I could go on and on...

....I don't know how any of these places have survived this long.

Most of them are ghost towns, with crappy service, products/food, overpriced everything, clueless employees, and many of them look run down, too.

There are so many brick & mortar stores that living on borrowed time that it's scary.
Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:56   #34
railfancwb

Yes, lots of ghost malls and shopping centers. Many killed by changing neighborhood/regional demographics. Middle class flight takes place and middle class stores follow.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 02-03-2013, 05:11   #35
Flying-Dutchman

Amazon lost money in 2012; first time in many years although Amazon has always been a lousy performer with a 505 price per earnings ratio when the S&P average is around 17.

There is no guarantee Amazon will stay in business. The news media loves Amazon though. Hates oil companies, loves Amazon.

The media worships Amazon founder Bezos, the guy with the goofy stare who looks like a turtle that crawled out of his shell. He’s not so good at making money though so far…

Once all the local stores you complain about close down, watch prices go way up and service go way down at Amazon.
Flying-Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:32   #36
AtlantaR6

To those saying it's a pain to return online purchases.... With Amazon you simply pull up the item and click "return". It prints out a shipping label on your printer, and you can either call UPS for pickup or drop it off at a local Shipping store.

Easier than driving to the store and waiting in line.
AtlantaR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:39   #37
jknight8907

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaR6 View Post
To those saying it's a pain to return online purchases.... With Amazon you simply pull up the item and click "return". It prints out a shipping label on your printer, and you can either call UPS for pickup or drop it off at a local Shipping store.

Easier than driving to the store and waiting in line.
Yep, and no worrying about keeping up with a paper receipt...it's all stored online.
jknight8907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:51   #38
Southwind

Amazon lost money in the 3rd quarter of 2012, not for the year as a whole.

Meanwhile, Forbes lists Jeff Bezos' net worth at 18.4 billion dollars - not bad for a guy who is "not so good at making money though so far…"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying-Dutchman View Post
Amazon lost money in 2012; first time in many years although Amazon has always been a lousy performer with a 505 price per earnings ratio when the S&P average is around 17.

There is no guarantee Amazon will stay in business. The news media loves Amazon though. Hates oil companies, loves Amazon.

The media worships Amazon founder Bezos, the guy with the goofy stare who looks like a turtle that crawled out of his shell. He’s not so good at making money though so far…

Once all the local stores you complain about close down, watch prices go way up and service go way down at Amazon.
Southwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:42   #39
Flying-Dutchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southwind View Post

Meanwhile, Forbes lists Jeff Bezos' net worth at 18.4 billion dollars - not bad for a guy who is "not so good at making money though so far…"
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2576293.html

http://ycharts.com/companies/AMZN/profit_margin

“For all of 2012, the company booked a net loss of $39 million, or 9 cents per share, down from a profit of $631 million, or $1.37 per share.”

Amazon’s total profits since inception are $5.1 Billion. Bezos’ net worth of $23 Billion is from his stock holdings created from a bubble not from profits.

http://ycharts.com/companies/AMZN/pe_ratio

If you want to invest in a company currently with a 3,633 p/e ratio because it is a media darling, go for it.

Problem is Newegg.com or some other online company may trounce it one day.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:43   #40
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

Quote:
I, personally, buy local when I can.

Shrinking the government is a nice idea. What services should we start cutting first?

The fact is that 97% of us do not even pay our own way regarding taxes.
And Us 3%ers are getting a bit pissed.

(I'd love to see a cite on that one.)
Old 02-03-2013, 08:45   #41
Restless28

Malls are dinosaurs. Smaller strip malls are the future. Those behemoth malls are ghost towns. It's just a matter of time until the commercial real estate market implodes. Each of us, no matter where we live, are seeing the number of empty buildings increase.
Restless28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:50   #42
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southwind View Post

Quote:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2576293.html

http://ycharts.com/companies/AMZN/profit_margin

“For all of 2012, the company booked a net loss of $39 million, or 9 cents per share, down from a profit of $631 million, or $1.37 per share.”

Amazon’s total profits since inception are $5.1 Billion. Bezos’ net worth of $23 Billion is from his stock holdings created from a bubble not from profits.

http://ycharts.com/companies/AMZN/pe_ratio

If you want to invest in a company currently with a 3,633 p/e ratio because it is a media darling, go for it.

Problem is Newegg.com or some other online company may trounce it one day.

You guys realize that Amazon piles back a ton of money back into itself, right? But let's blame the margins and not the R&D and technology costs as well as expanding warehouses.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:57   #43
waawaaweenie

Quote:
If we value our local business then we should be paying sales tax on online sales.
that money does not go into the local establishments pockets.

it goes right to the already untrustworthy and incompetent state. I live in Kalifornia and do not think they deserve another cent from me as they have proven they can not be trusted with any money

if the states really care about the local businesses, they should reduce or eliminate the state sales taxes which will spur local purchasing if the price is close and you can also get the merch instantly.

but we know they just care about the money they get from us

Last edited by waawaaweenie; 02-03-2013 at 19:58..
waawaaweenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:04   #44
norton

Quote:
I am amazed that sales tax has not been collected for out of State purchases all along.

Personally I would like to see a VAT tax and then eliminate the property tax to fund local schools, library etc. Of course I know what would happen. The VAT would be introduced and the property tax would not go away.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:07   #45
waawaaweenie

Amazon prime here too

I bought a power supply on Amazon last week, it arrived broken. I went to return it and was told "due to safety and health reasons, it was not returnable" the only health reason it could impose was if you dropped it on your foot, as it is quite heavy.

they refunded me the money and told me to dispose of it. I then went to Rat Shack and bought the 2$ part and fixed it and it is as good as new.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:10   #46
waawaaweenie

they never eliminate any taxes, even the temporary ones

Kommiefornia had one to help rebuild after an earthquake and when it was going to "sunset", the governor at the time said that the tax was so popular with the people they were going to keep it

they never asked my opinion
Old 02-03-2013, 09:27   #47
Flying-Dutchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis in MA View Post

You guys realize that Amazon piles back a ton of money back into itself, right? But let's blame the margins and not the R&D and technology costs as well as expanding warehouses.
...and predatory pricing to bankrupt its competitors.

Like the manufacturer selling to Wal-Mart getting a call from Wal-Mart; why is Amazon selling the exact item for less than we are paying you for it bulk wholesale?

I admit I probably spent more last year at Amazon than any other company. I hate waiting in line and between low prices and not having to spend the gas and time driving to the store, it is an easy decision.

That said if another better company comes along I will drop Amazon.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:30   #48
Flying-Dutchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless28 View Post
Malls are dinosaurs. Smaller strip malls are the future. Those behemoth malls are ghost towns. It's just a matter of time until the commercial real estate market implodes. Each of us, no matter where we live, are seeing the number of empty buildings increase.
Without brick and mortar stores, how are you going to actually inspect the item first before buying it on Amazon?

We will all be cocooned hunched over a screen like a sack of potatoes typing in orders to be delivered.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:37   #49
sharpshooter

Amazon Prime is hard to argue with. Great prices, FREE 2nd day shipping on most items (+ $4 for next-day delivery), free return shipping.

The $75 membership nearly paid for itself on the first purchase, which Is why I signed up. I bought a $600 electronic item. Amazon had the best price by far, no sales tax, and free shipping (2nd day air). Buying local is a waste of my money.

I live in a rural area, and shopping for things takes time and gas to drive all over only to find a poor selection or high prices.
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:32   #50
costanza187
I like Macs

I do catch myself buying stuff off Amazon Prime that I could get at Walmart.

Reason being, I can order something on Monday and have it on Wednesday. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't be going to town until the weekend so I end up actually having the item quicker by ordering online.