Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:53   #21
chemboy

Congrats on your G20!
Underwood is the best ammo I have found for mine. Buffalo Bore is good also, but the price!

Current Glocks: 19,26,20SF,29SF, 21Gen4,23Gen4,32Gen4
AA 22lr conversion kit for G20.
chemboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 20:38   #22
damnyankee20

Congrats, rl356 - Welcome to the Glock 20 club! You have purchased arguably one of the most powerful pistols in the world.

You will find some very powerful ammo out there in DoubleTap, Cor Bon, and Underwood ammo, and there's a little company in Fremont, Ohio called Freedom Munitions who makes hot 10mm rounds too. But, it's expensive.

Of course you can cut down your ammo costs by 75% by making your own just like these companies with something like this:

https://fsreloading.com/lee-precisio...uto-90941.html

(I use the Lee Classic Reloader as it's affordable and good quality with the Lee .40 S&W/10mm 4-die set. I also use CCI 350 magnum primers and 800x powder but warning: 800x powder is flaky and not very predictable with auto measuring, so I hand load mine with a funnel into each cartridge - a labor of love!).

Eventually, you WILL reload because 10mm is expensive, and you will LOVE to reload because you can try a variety of bullets/casings, powder & primer to see what is most accurate in your G20. Talk to some folks who reload. It's very relaxing and fun!

Last edited by damnyankee20; 02-04-2013 at 20:44..
damnyankee20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 22:03   #23
rl356

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnyankee20 View Post
Congrats, rl356 - Welcome to the Glock 20 club! You have purchased arguably one of the most powerful pistols in the world.

You will find some very powerful ammo out there in DoubleTap, Cor Bon, and Underwood ammo, and there's a little company in Fremont, Ohio called Freedom Munitions who makes hot 10mm rounds too. But, it's expensive.

Of course you can cut down your ammo costs by 75% by making your own just like these companies with something like this:

https://fsreloading.com/lee-precisio...uto-90941.html

(I use the Lee Classic Reloader as it's affordable and good quality with the Lee .40 S&W/10mm 4-die set. I also use CCI 350 magnum primers and 800x powder but warning: 800x powder is flaky and not very predictable with auto measuring, so I hand load mine with a funnel into each cartridge - a labor of love!).

Eventually, you WILL reload because 10mm is expensive, and you will LOVE to reload because you can try a variety of bullets/casings, powder & primer to see what is most accurate in your G20. Talk to some folks who reload. It's very relaxing and fun!

Thanks for the link. That's not a bad price on that kit. I had actually been looking around online this evening at reloading equipment. I need to become more active at just making it happen. I have a couple other calibers (.357Sig, .45ACP) that I would like to reload and save some money. And I'm certain that the 10mm is about to become my new favorite, and with the cost of ammo, I'm in agreement with everyone who has posted on this thread and suggested that I save my brass and reload.
rl356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:00   #24
sureshot10

I had one. I could only afford to buy my ammo at local gunshows. Georgia arms had it for 21.00. The gun is heavy if you're gonna wear it on your hip. Otherwise great gun.
sureshot10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:34   #25
rl356

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshot10 View Post
I had one. I could only afford to buy my ammo at local gunshows. Georgia arms had it for 21.00. The gun is heavy if you're gonna wear it on your hip. Otherwise great gun.
Cheapest I've found it for locally is $27.?? for 50rds of PPU. The shop I most frequently visit has A.E. at $39.99 per box of 50.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:30   #26
ca survivor

Congrats.
ca survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 13:52   #27
sleeper1428

-snip-

vis35

Beware of lead bullet loads (Buffalo Bore and Double Tap offer them in 10MM), one box should not produce enough leading to be dangerous, but no leading is better, just avoid them.

-snip-

I'll respectively disagree on this point. I've owned my Glock 20 since the late 1980's and I've shot literally thousands of rounds of lead bullets with no problem whatsoever. I cast my own bullets using an alloy that consists of approximately 92% lead, 6% antimony and 2% tin and I size these bullets to .401 diameter. And while I have yet to detect ANY leading of significance, I make it a point to clean the barrel after every 200 rounds or at the end of each use, which ever comes first. I also cast and shoot bullets for seven (7) other caliber handguns as well as seven (7) other rifle calibers and by properly sizing my cast bullets and using lead alloy compositions appropriate for the use and velocity, I see little or no leading in any of my handguns or rifles. The myth of lead bullets being dangerous in Glocks, especially with the factory barrels, is just that, a myth, and is usually related to inadequate and/or infrequent cleaning. An aftermarket barrel such as the Lone Wolf with cut rifling will make shooting lead bullets even easier and will further lessen the worries associated with leading but will not decrease the need for cleaning on a regular basis. And while those who shoot only factory loads may well find that they are going to have to curtail their shooting during the shortage expected for the next year or so, it's not going to have an effect on those of use who cast our own and shoot the same!

sleeper1428

Last edited by sleeper1428; 02-06-2013 at 13:58..
sleeper1428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 15:41   #28
rl356

Sleeper1428,

Ever have any accuracy problems using cast lead bullets out of the factory barrel? I've never used any type of non-jacketed ammo in my glocks. That's not to say that I wouldn't use it if that's all I could find, I just have not been in that situation to this point. I recently watched a video on YouTube of some 230gr hard cast lead double tap 10mm being shot from a factory G20 barrel. Accuracy was terrible as the rounds were all over the place and key holed. These functioned beautifully from a lone wolf barrel.

Personally, I just prefer jacketed ammo. So long as I can still get it, I'll stick with it. Thanks for the informative post though. Glad to hear that you have had zero issues with lead ammo.
Old 02-06-2013, 15:44   #29
ctfireman

Congrats on a good choice. I wish you luck in finding the little torpedoes it fires!

Rest in peace Okie, your memory will live on forever.
ctfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 15:55   #30
TACLOAD

Congrats! Underwood, BB, and DT.

“World peace must develop from inner peace. Peace is not just the mere absence of violence. Peace is, I think is the manifestation of human compassion.”
― Dalai Lama XIV
TACLOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 19:12   #31
rl356

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACLOAD View Post
Congrats! Underwood, BB, and DT.
Will definitely be placing orders at both underwood and double tap. I will get some buffalo bore, but since it's sold in 20rd boxes, I'll get some of the other two first.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:55   #32
Cwlongshot

BTW & if you need some...
As of last night.. NATCHES had magazines!!

CW
Old 02-07-2013, 05:58   #33
rl356

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwlongshot View Post
BTW & if you need some...
As of last night.. NATCHES had magazines!!

CW
Thanks for the heads up.