Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-20-2013, 15:57   #1
ChiefWPD

CA laws re: retired cops badge carry

Talking with a friend today. He mentioned there was some regulation in South Carolina and CA in regard the carrying of police look-alike shields, even for retired guys.

Anyone know of any CA law that would prohibit a retired officer from carrying a shield marked "retired" along with their retired ID card and, if appropriate, their LEOSA card?

Thanks,

Old 11-20-2013, 16:14   #2
Kilrain
Señor Member

No CA law I'm aware of...............but in a short 12 years I'll know for sure.

- Sterling Archer
Kilrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 17:38   #3
collim1
Shower Time!

You know common sense leaves me to believe that if its a real badge being held by a retired officer its not a "look alike".
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 18:11   #4
GD2J
GoDirectly2Jail

We issue a 'retired' badge along with creds.
GD2J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 18:30   #5
ChiefWPD

Thanks guys. I'll pass this along to my friend. He's retired down in North Carolina and there may be some law in South Carolina which makes it a violation to carry a shield if you are no longer an officer. He's checking his end now.

Thanks again,

Old 11-20-2013, 19:22   #6
Trigger Finger

I retired from LAPD in 2005 and they told me nothing about this.

They gave me a real badge marked Retired and a new Id card and said that I should carry these if I was armed. Mainly the retired I.D. card when I carried concealed!

This would be news to me and I really don't think there is any thing about this in California. Maybe unless you are talking about a "look-alike" badge but my badge is a real LAPD retired detective shield.

Trigger Finger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 19:28   #7
Sharkey

I don't remember anything about badge carry to comply with HR218. I am in TX though. I carry my card and a photo of my qual. On my phone. I have a badge from my old agency but the card is from my last one. I have a generic badge marked TX Peace Ofc. But don't carry it often.
Old 11-20-2013, 19:38   #8
GD2J
GoDirectly2Jail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post
I don't remember anything about badge carry to comply with HR218. I am in TX though. I carry my card and a photo of my qual. On my phone. I have a badge from my old agency but the card is from my last one. I have a generic badge marked TX Peace Ofc. But don't carry it often.
HR218 has no badge requirement. Being given one by a dept. is simply a bonus.
GD2J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 22:01   #9
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

There is no law regarding a retired officer carrying a badge that looks like a duty badge as long as it says RETIRED or RETIRED + rank on the ribbon.

There is a law about non-sworn carrying any badges that look similar to police badges. There was an issue about some jurisdictions issuing badges to councilmen and city attorneys and city engineers and all that jazz. Some places got around it by issuing a round badge that looks nothing like the shields we carry and displaying the correct title on it.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 22:54   #10
CAcop

Our department gives people the option of the badge they carried or one with retired on it in a flat badge wallet.
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
CAcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 04:46   #11
merlynusn

http://www.sled.sc.gov/SCStateGunLaws1.aspx

You don't need the badge to carry. I'd have to find the badge laws.
merlynusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:43   #12
series1811
CLM Number
Enforcerator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GD2J View Post
HR218 has no badge requirement. Being given one by a dept. is simply a bonus.
My "retired" badge (and credentials) from my previous agency is in a shadow box on my wall. That's the best place for it in my opinion. I have a state badge now, but if they give me one when I leave, they will both be in a shadow box.

That's what the LEOSA ID my former agency issued me is for.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:38   #13
L-1

Regarding California

Retirees are ok in California.

The confusion came from an AG's opinion indicating that under existing law, persons who did not have peace officer powers could not be given badges that resembled police badges. This posed a problem for retirees who were routinely given their badges upon retirement and still carried them because retirees have always been allowed to CCW in California as a matter of law.

In response, the Legislature amended Section 538d of the Penal Code to take care of the retiree issue. It is excerpted below.

Except as provided in subdivision (d), any person who willfully wears, exhibits, or uses, or who willfully makes, sells, loans, gives, or transfers to another, any badge, insignia, emblem, device, or any label, certificate, card, or writing, which falsely purports to be authorized for the use of one who by law is given the authority of a peace officer, or which so resembles the authorized badge, insignia, emblem, device, label, certificate, card, or writing of a peace officer as would deceive an ordinary reasonable person into believing that it is authorized for the use of one who by law is given the authority of a peace officer, is guilty of a misdemeanor, except that any person who makes or sells any badge under the circumstances described in this subdivision is subject to a fine not to exceed fifteen thousand dollars ($15,000).

(d) (1) The head of an agency that employs peace officers, as defined in Sections 830.1 and 830.2, is authorized to issue identification in the form of a badge, insignia, emblem, device, label, certificate, card, or writing that clearly states that the person has honorably retired following service as a peace officer from that agency. The identification authorized pursuant to this subdivision is separate and distinct from the identification authorized by Article 2 (commencing with Section 25450) of Chapter 2 of Division 5 of Title 4 of Part 6.

(2) If the head of an agency issues a badge to an honorably retired peace officer that is not affixed to a plaque or other memento commemorating the retiree’s service for the agency, the words “Honorably Retired” shall be clearly visible above, underneath, or on the badge itself.
L-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 15:44   #14
Trigger Finger

L-1
"the head of an agency issues a badge to an honorably retired peace officer that is not affixed to a plaque or other memento commemorating the retiree’s service for the agency, the words “Honorably Retired” shall be clearly visible above, underneath, or on the badge itself."

My Id card and badge just say "Retired" Not Honorably retired.
Is there a difference?. I don't think so.
The largest Police Department in California does it with just the one word "Retired". And make no mistake, I am Honorably Retired!!

They have been doing it this way since Long, Long before 2005, the year I retired, and they still do it this way. As far as I know!!

Last edited by Trigger Finger; 11-21-2013 at 15:46..
Trigger Finger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 15:50   #15
L-1

My agency interprets the term "underneath" quite literally. My badge has the word "retired" stamped on the back side.

I think the issue of whether your retirement was honorable or not is tacitly delt with via the CCW endorsement on the ID card.
L-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 16:38   #16
txleapd
Hook 'Em Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GD2J View Post
We issue a 'retired' badge along with creds.
So do we, and you only get a badge if your honorably retired.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
1911 Club #75
Kahr Club #286
Lone Star Glockers #919

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Last edited by txleapd; 11-21-2013 at 16:46..
txleapd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 00:40   #17
igor

my county ave me a retirred badge nd id card, my second agency did also as did my 3d one. it was over 40 yrs when i was done.
i just quall d a week ago and agaion no issues. i carry a retired badge under my shirt in front of the gun and a npther one in my id wallet and have had no issues. i have done it for some years now in many states with no issues
Old 11-22-2013, 07:12   #18
ca survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by collim1 View Post
You know common sense leaves me to believe that if its a real badge being held by a retired officer its not a "look alike".

remember common sense is not too common these days.
ca survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:37   #19
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-1 View Post
I think the issue of whether your retirement was honorable or not is tacitly delt with via the CCW endorsement on the ID card.
This is us. We can only retire (regular retire and medical retire) under "honorable" circumstances. If you separate without retiring (ie: resigned, fired, etc...), you don't get an agency ID card.

I have seen some old time detectives who retired and still carry a replica of their detective badge. I can't remember ever seeing any badge that says "Retired." But I have seen many retired cops carry their retired ID card in their old badge case, which retained the imprint of their badge from being carried in it over the many years.

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.

Last edited by Patchman; 11-22-2013 at 08:46..
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:40   #20
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

After retirement, all I want is an ID. The badge, if any, can stay in a shadow box.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote