Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-05-2013, 15:09   #1
ken grant

Carry Rotation?

I keep reading about guys having a carry rotation with their pistols.

Why do this???? Seems that it is better just to carry one pistol all the time rather than several different ones.
ken grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 15:33   #2
rytlewski

I carry my Kel-Tec 380 all the time since it fits nicely in the pocket. However my main carry is a Glock 19 which I rotate with my Kel-Tec 9mm depending on what I'm wearing that day. I usually carry the 380 as a back-up in my left pocket, but switch it to the right if using it as my only carry.
rytlewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 16:11   #3
RyanNREMTP
Inactive/Banned

Some people vary depending on climate and layers of clothing.

Sent from my Federation issued communicator.
Old 02-05-2013, 16:22   #4
harrygunner

I stick to one gun unless I'm in the woods that has big critters.

I've carried my 1911 under a Polo-like shirt in the heat of Miami and under a coat in the cold of Montana.

In the stress of a self-defense situation, I want both my brain and muscle memory ready to use the gun I train with.
Old 02-05-2013, 17:40   #5
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

I mostly stick to one gun (semi-auto), but sometimes the need to carry a revolver strikes me and I'll pack a .357.

Alexander Hamilton, author of Federalist No. 1. 10/27/1787
Jason D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 17:52   #6
PAGunner

Carrying different types of weapons is stupid. Manual of arms should be the same if you want to carry different weapons (ie, Glock 26/17/19).

I've made peace with carrying 1 gun, my shield .40 with flush fit mag, perfect gun for south Florida.
Old 02-05-2013, 17:57   #7
Deaf Smith

In the winter I can carry a much more effective piece than in the hot Texas summer time.

A Glock 19/23/32 can easily be carried in the winter but around here with just shorts, t-shirt, and lots of sweat, then a J .38 makes more sense.

So don't disparage having more than one carry gun. Just as having more than one carry holster!

Deaf
Old 02-05-2013, 18:18   #8
robhic
Platinum Membership
WOLVERINE!!!!

Rotation can be good! SmartCarry -- self-supported for sweats and elastic waistbands. G26 or .357 snubbie. I may also use a Remora for the G26 if waistband can be snugged up sufficiently.

G30 in IWB High Noon leather holster, again depending on attire. Three fiddy seven in a DeSantis ankle holster (Apache) depending on attire and WHAT I FEEL LIKE CARRYING!

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
robhic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 19:37   #9
ken grant

I carry a Glock 23 all the time. I do have a 27,19 and 26 but I don't rotate them but could as they are mostly the same.

Have drawers full of holsters,both cheap and expensive but for OWB, a Glock Sport Combat is all I want or need.
For IWB, a Com Tach Minotaur is all I want or need.

I do rotate holsters as above but never pistols.
ken grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 19:51   #10
1smoothredneck

Yes, it does make lots of sense to carry one gun for all occasions. Just like it makes lots of sense to not "carry a pistol to a rifle fight"! The truth is, I just can't always carry the same gun for everything. My profession calls for absolute concealment. Period. Therefore, I carry a weapon that allows just that, absolute discretion. Off work, I'll carry a much more decisive fighting pistol. Also, I just like guns, and enjoy carrying different examples!
I do, however, seriously ascribe to a simple philosophy on a ccw. I like commonality of operation. Years and years of 1911 use habituated a comfort level with that manual of arms. Years and years of DA revolver shooting habituated another manual of arms. That's about all I care to retain in muscle memory for the most part. So, I like a frame mounted, 1911 style safety, or a point gun, pull trigger type of handgun. They strong side thumb "swipes off" a safety in presentation of the piece, no matter if it's a wheel gun, 1911, or one of my Glocks... The built in muscle memory and movement is the same. I stay away from slide mounted safety or decock levers just to keep it simple for me. I know Massad Ayoob carries those too, just cause he likes 'em. But I, sir, am no Massad Ayoob! Remember, There's no such thing as a tornado. Mas' just don't like trailer parks! Be safe.
1smoothredneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 21:21   #11
Saugus

I live in a small Midwestern town with very little if any violent crime. During the week I carry a S&W model 60-1 Chiefs Special .38 in a Crossbreed SuperTuk IWB holster. I load it with Buffalo Bore 158gr SWCHP ammo. I also carry one Galco speed strip with 5 extra bullets.

Now if I go to one of the cities close by I will carry my Glock G30 in a Crossbreed SuperTuk IWB holster with a nine round magazine for better concealment, and Federal HST 230gr +p hollow points. I will also carry a spare 10 round magazine with the same.

These are the only two weapons I rotate EDC.

This is my routine.
Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 21:35   #12
Hugo R
Gaff G26 User!

Nope, no rotation for me. I usually carry a G26 and an LCP as a BUG. Every now and then if I'm heading into something dicey I'll add my G17 to the mix.

Sounds like a lot of fire power...but then again, it's Lost Angels.

HR
Old 02-05-2013, 22:15   #13
larry_minn
Silver Membership

Ideally you should stick to ONE gun, always carried in same location. (with same covering garmet, same gloves on hands/no gloves.......)
For me the gun is NOT what I plan day around. MN winters I am outside for hrs. So insulated "coverall" type clothing. A IWB would be a 30 second plus draw. (I would bet over a minute in reall cold weather as I would have to REMOVE the overjacket, scarf, gloves then peal off coveralls/snow suit off shoulders.... (actually never even tried it)
So pocket carry (of a revolver/holstered semi auto) is better choice. OR a shoulder holster. Still have to unzip/remove heavy gloves....
I seldom carry a 1911. Maybe 2 yrs ago I (decided to switch) for some unknown reason. Did some practice, lots of dry fire, draws,etc. Maybe two months later I went back.
Basicly everything is Glock safe action/similar action.
larry_minn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:33   #14
happyguy
Na Ben Don Chat

No rotation for me. I carry all my guns, all the time.

Regards,
Comrade Happyguy

"Nobody should ever run a race where they are lapped by the sun."
happyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:52   #15
BADOS

No rotation for me either. I carry one gun, a Glock 27 the same position each time. I think if you CC you should get to know that gun real well. Become "one" with it.
BADOS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 19:54   #16
collim1
Shower Time!

I don't "rotate" either. I carry my P239 and a spare mag OWB 99% of the time.

Occasionally I carry my jframe 442 when I need a discreet carry option for dress clothes that require a tucked in shirt. I consider that filling a need, not rotating.

I guess I can understand it though. You "want" a new gun, you buy a new gun, then you feel the "need" to justify that purchase by carrying it.

Some people don't like to admit they bought a gun just because. It happens, I have a few guns I own just for the sake of wanting it.
collim1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:49   #17
happyguy
Na Ben Don Chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by collim1 View Post

Some people don't like to admit they bought a gun just because. It happens, I have a few guns I own just for the sake of wanting it.
Funny how that happens.

Regards,
Comrade Happyguy

"Nobody should ever run a race where they are lapped by the sun."
happyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:53   #18
Bren
NRA Life Member

I vary, depending on what I'm wearing and where I'm going.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:14   #19
ranger1968

[QUOTE=ken grant;19952472]I keep reading about guys having a carry rotation with their pistols.

Why do this???? Seems that it is better just to carry one pistol all the time rather than several different ones.[/QUOTE]

It IS better to carry one pistol all the time;

And all that nonsense about haing a winter vs a summer gun is just that , nonsense;

Dress around the pistol, and it's never an issue.
ranger1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:20   #20
badge315

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAGunner View Post
Carrying different types of weapons is stupid.
Is that so?

Then I guess I'm stupid...and so is Massad Ayoob.

Don't be mad just because you can't master more than one handgun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
I vary, depending on what I'm wearing and where I'm going.
Exactly.

- The Loc-Nar

Last edited by badge315; 02-08-2013 at 10:20..
badge315 is offline   Reply With Quote