Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-31-2013, 22:21   #1
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Penny Stock thread...

For those who play that foolish game... (I am such a fool from time to time)

What are you interested in and why?

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon

Last edited by Rabbi; 01-31-2013 at 22:21..
Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 22:53   #2
JimBianchi
CLM Number 25
Da Da

I had a "small pharma" client 10yrs ago who dreamed of being bought out by "Big Pharma". I was hired to photograph their stockholders meeting and shoot portraits of the 13 board members. I heard all the good stuff about the company and I bought into it a bit.

I followed the the stock, in less than a year it doubled so bought $500 it at 60cents right after they announced a new drug trial for an AIDS inhibitor that seemed promising. (I remember the commission for the purchase was very high, 3x for a normal trade through ScottTrade and the guy tried to talk me out of it!)

Shortly there after the company was investigated for insider trading and "pump and dump" and the stock crashed, the company folded and that was my one and only experience with penny stocks.
SAF

The scariest words in the English language: I'm from the government and I'm here to help! President Ronald Reagan

Last edited by JimBianchi; 01-31-2013 at 22:56..
JimBianchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 23:12   #3
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBianchi View Post
I had a "small pharma" client 10yrs ago who dreamed of being bought out by "Big Pharma". I was hired to photograph their stockholders meeting and shoot portraits of the 13 board members. I heard all the good stuff about the company and I bought into it a bit.

I followed the the stock, in less than a year it doubled so bought $500 it at 60cents right after they announced a new drug trial for an AIDS inhibitor that seemed promising. (I remember the commission for the purchase was very high, 3x for a normal trade through ScottTrade and the guy tried to talk me out of it!)

Shortly there after the company was investigated for insider trading and "pump and dump" and the stock crashed, the company folded and that was my one and only experience with penny stocks.
That is a pretty common story. There is a lot of pump n dump and vaporware in the game. Pharma is real long on risk. They either have a product or they dont and if their product works and makes it to market...everyone buys a jet. Very few make it. That is why it is a tough game, you have to place your bets before it happens if you want the big win.

There are some wicked good gems out there though...just not many.

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon

Last edited by Rabbi; 01-31-2013 at 23:14..
Old 02-01-2013, 06:48   #4
railfancwb

On the whole, $500 in $1 lottery tickets is probably about as good an investment as $500 in a penny stock...unless you are a company insider.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 02-01-2013, 07:33   #5
07 LMB Z06

Not really a penny stock trader, but I do quite a bit of options trading. Some longer term stuff, and some stuff that's cheap and close to expiration for fun.

I'm following VIX closely now and may pick up some March calls. Not sure what strike, maybe $17 or so.

Anyway, on board to read some people's experiences.

Last edited by 07 LMB Z06; 02-01-2013 at 07:46..
07 LMB Z06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:00   #6
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

Faro-Tech FTW!

(don't pitch the b-word!)
Old 02-01-2013, 08:18   #7
Short Cut
CLM Number 88
PatrioticMember

ECPN El Capitan Precious Metals They own land that has sizable measured resources of gold and silver in Lincoln County, New Mexico.

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
Short Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:35   #8
Singlemalt
In the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis in MA View Post
Faro-Tech FTW!

(don't pitch the b-word!)
lol, I have not seen that one in a while.

I had a very strong work ethic. The problem was my ethics in work.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:53   #9
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

What people never realized was that that sort of stuff has been going on for years. Still does, to some extent. Not like THAT. Vin Diesel was great in that. That movie was 10x the movie that Wall Street or Wall Street II was.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:19   #10
SMOKEin

My buddy and I overheard a coked up suit running his mouth at a bar one night, bragging to his buddy about how far the stock was going to soon soar for this tiny company that he was consulting at. It was about 15'ish years ago so the details are foggy, but I bought sub $1 and sold in the high $30s, shortly after that news broke on the local business channels that this company was going to be bought out by a big electric co. I'm thinking it was GE? Anyway, stock quickly went over $100 share and my buddy should have sold and cashed in big. He held way too long, no buyout, I think he sold for $14 or $17 a share.

If I recall, they designed or improved upon the design of some equipment that allowed people to send electricity to be sent back into the grid and be sold.

I guess this doesn't answer the OP, but I spent too much time typing it on my phone, not to share.

Happy Friday.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:36   #11
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Short Cut View Post
ECPN El Capitan Precious Metals They own land that has sizable measured resources of gold and silver in Lincoln County, New Mexico.
Ah yes, mining penny stocks. Those can be fun but you are better off in most cases buying a shovel and looking for your own gold.

As always though, if one hits....it is a nice day.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:56   #12
2bgop

Over the last couple years, I have made a killing off of TLGN. They did a reverse split a few months back and it appears the gravy train is over. But for a while, I was trading it a few times a week and did extremely well.

I still have around 15k shares, but I am looking for a good place to jump out.
2bgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 16:53   #13
hpracing007

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bgop View Post
Over the last couple years, I have made a killing off of TLGN. They did a reverse split a few months back and it appears the gravy train is over. But for a while, I was trading it a few times a week and did extremely well.

I still have around 15k shares, but I am looking for a good place to jump out.
I'm curious, how do you find out about these stocks? I tried digging around the otc markets but a lot of them don't even have up to date financial reports.
hpracing007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 16:57   #14
hd67xlch

I bought 30,000 shares of MJNA a few weeks ago at .09 cents a share, today it busted .30 cents. This is just a shot in the dark that the medical or non medical marijuana industry booms, who knows but its worth a shot with it being a relatively small amount of my investments.JMO
Old 02-01-2013, 17:23   #15
2bgop

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpracing007 View Post
I'm curious, how do you find out about these stocks? I tried digging around the otc markets but a lot of them don't even have up to date financial reports.
For the most part I just get them from friends. I don't have the time or talent to research stuff like that on my own, but I hang around people who hire others that do. Consolidated Gas and Oil was another great one, I just didn't pay close enough attention and ended up losing almost all of it.

I just looked, TGLN finished up 20% today, looks like the old days.

Last edited by 2bgop; 02-01-2013 at 18:11..
Old 02-01-2013, 17:30   #16
arizona_andy
Caliber Realist

Often a foolish game indeed...

Nevertheless, I have purchased a bit of Fuse Science (OTCBB: DROP) Trades around .15 to .17 in recent days.

http://www.poweredbyfuse.com
http://www.fusescience.com

They have a patent-pending proprietary delivery system which is believed to allow various compounds to be absorbed by the body more efficiently than anything else out there.

What does that really mean? It means that medications that are typically administered via a shot can now be delivered using a simple roll-on applicator (they've already stated that they're working on an insulin application, and quite a few others.)

So far, they've released three products which make use of this technology: PowerFuse, ElectroFuse, EnerJel.

PowerFuse is effectively a can of Red Bull/Monster that can be carried in your pocket (one "ampule" is roughly half the size of an AA battery.) It is a concentrated, all-natural energy "drop" and seems to work exceptionally well. ElectroFuse is the same deal, but it's for electrolyte replenishment. EnerJel is a roll-on applicator which addresses muscle fatigue and soreness, and also gives a boost of energy as well (check gnc.com for reviews -- it is one of the highest-rated products on their site http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=13230989)

They have amassed a very impressive list of athlete endorsements -- Tiger Woods, David Ortiz, Arian Foster, Ken Griffey Jr., Paul Pierce and many, many more. (Tiger's golf bag features a huge "Fuse Science" logo)

Power/ElectroFuse will be on the shelves of Dick's Sporting Goods any day now, with more retailers to follow. EnerJel is currently sold at GNC.

Right now shareholders are just waiting for the marketing machine to kick in. It seems that once word gets out this thing will take off... but, I am sure a lot of you have heard that line before, with varying results..!

Anyway, I've yet to find another pennystock with as much potential as this one. The only issue is that they are short on cash and have been diluting a bit -- but IMO it isn't concerning at this point, as they are still under 200mil shares O/S. It's pretty common to see 500mil to 1 billion shares outstanding for pennystocks.

"Only tyrants need fear tyrant-killers."
arizona_andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 17:40   #17
Short Cut
CLM Number 88
PatrioticMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
Ah yes, mining penny stocks. Those can be fun but you are better off in most cases buying a shovel and looking for your own gold.

As always though, if one hits....it is a nice day.
Yeah the industry has their share of scams too. This one is solid, I've done a lot of research on it, but still these kind of plays are for blue sky money not buying diapers and groceries money.

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
Short Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 17:42   #18
arizona_andy
Caliber Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07 LMB Z06 View Post
Not really a penny stock trader, but I do quite a bit of options trading. Some longer term stuff, and some stuff that's cheap and close to expiration for fun.

I'm following VIX closely now and may pick up some March calls. Not sure what strike, maybe $17 or so.

Anyway, on board to read some people's experiences.
Nice.. I can't think of many things smarter than buying VIX calls right now.

Old 02-02-2013, 00:54   #19
sappy13

tagged to learn as more is posted. Im just getting into investing and wouldnt mind knowing more.
sappy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 15:35   #20
2bgop

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizona_andy View Post
Often a foolish game indeed...

Nevertheless, I have purchased a bit of Fuse Science (OTCBB: DROP) Trades around .15 to .17 in recent days.

http://www.poweredbyfuse.com
http://www.fusescience.com

They have a patent-pending proprietary delivery system which is believed to allow various compounds to be absorbed by the body more efficiently than anything else out there.

What does that really mean? It means that medications that are typically administered via a shot can now be delivered using a simple roll-on applicator (they've already stated that they're working on an insulin application, and quite a few others.)

So far, they've released three products which make use of this technology: PowerFuse, ElectroFuse, EnerJel.

PowerFuse is effectively a can of Red Bull/Monster that can be carried in your pocket (one "ampule" is roughly half the size of an AA battery.) It is a concentrated, all-natural energy "drop" and seems to work exceptionally well. ElectroFuse is the same deal, but it's for electrolyte replenishment. EnerJel is a roll-on applicator which addresses muscle fatigue and soreness, and also gives a boost of energy as well (check gnc.com for reviews -- it is one of the highest-rated products on their site http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=13230989)

They have amassed a very impressive list of athlete endorsements -- Tiger Woods, David Ortiz, Arian Foster, Ken Griffey Jr., Paul Pierce and many, many more. (Tiger's golf bag features a huge "Fuse Science" logo)

Power/ElectroFuse will be on the shelves of Dick's Sporting Goods any day now, with more retailers to follow. EnerJel is currently sold at GNC.

Right now shareholders are just waiting for the marketing machine to kick in. It seems that once word gets out this thing will take off... but, I am sure a lot of you have heard that line before, with varying results..!

Anyway, I've yet to find another pennystock with as much potential as this one. The only issue is that they are short on cash and have been diluting a bit -- but IMO it isn't concerning at this point, as they are still under 200mil shares O/S. It's pretty common to see 500mil to 1 billion shares outstanding for pennystocks.
Ok, I am in come Monday morning.
Old 02-02-2013, 17:53   #21
arizona_andy
Caliber Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sappy13 View Post
tagged to learn as more is posted. Im just getting into investing and wouldnt mind knowing more.
If you're just getting into investing I would recommend you stick with the less volitile blue-chip companies. Pick a few favorites from the DJI, or larger members of the S&P 500. Mix it up a bit, too: don't just buy cyclicals, throw in some slow-and-steady dividend payers as well.

Buying a great company that is a bit down on their luck lately is a great strategy. They will come roaring back if their really isn't anything wrong. A great example was CELG: sold off to 59 a few quarters ago, even though management reaffirmed guidance... and sure enough, it sits at 100 today.

Pennystocks can lose 95% of their value in a day, so be aware of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bgop View Post
Ok, I am in come Monday morning.
While I believe that this company will be highly successful, I do still urge you to do your own research as well. I view this one as a longer-term investment, not something that might shoot up 200% next week. The potential is huge here, and honestly I'm not sure why we aren't higher yet -- but it's probably due to the fact that they haven't much to show in the way of revenue, yet. Power/ElectroFuse aren't in stores yet, but they have already shipped the product to DSG and we are expecting CVS to be another location where it will be sold as well.

Their products are real and they do work. You can try them for yourself by ordering from poweredbyfuse.com. Here is a picture of the banners that are going to start showing up in stores soon:

The Okie Corral

When everything comes together, watch out...

Old 02-02-2013, 18:11   #22
2bgop

Quote:

While I believe that this company will be highly successful, I do still urge you to do your own research as well. I view this one as a longer-term investment, not something that might shoot up 200% next week. The potential is huge here, and honestly I'm not sure why we aren't higher yet -- but it's probably due to the fact that they haven't much to show in the way of revenue, yet. Power/ElectroFuse aren't in stores yet, but they have already shipped the product to DSG and we are expecting CVS to be another location where it will be sold as well.

Their products are real and they do work. You can try them for yourself by ordering from poweredbyfuse.com. Here is a picture of the banners that are going to start showing up in stores soon:

The Okie Corral

When everything comes together, watch out...
I don't spend a bunch of time researching stuff like this, I drop a few a k and see what happens. I have professionals handle my retirement, I swing for the fences with amounts I can lose.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:34   #23
hd67xlch

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd67xlch View Post
I bought 30,000 shares of MJNA a few weeks ago at .09 cents a share, today it busted .30 cents. This is just a shot in the dark that the medical or non medical marijuana industry booms, who knows but its worth a shot with it being a relatively small amount of my investments.JMO
MJNA up another 25% this morning on high volume again, dont know why its being bought up like it is, but the volume has been out of the world the last three trading days.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:37   #24
arizona_andy
Caliber Realist

Did anyone buy DROP? You could have been up 20-30+% by now.. just sayin

Old 02-12-2013, 09:09   #25
USMCsilver
I Like Monkeys

Send a message via AIM to USMCsilver Send a message via Yahoo to USMCsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd67xlch View Post
MJNA up another 25% this morning on high volume again, dont know why its being bought up like it is, but the volume has been out of the world the last three trading days.
Just purchased 500 shares.

Quote:
Did anyone buy DROP? You could have been up 20-30+% by now.. just sayin
Just got 1,000 shares.

Hopefully these go somewhere. The account used on these was my kid's Coverdell ESA. Maybe it'll pay off in 14 more years.

"Kiss my ass, I bought a boat! I'm goin' out to sea..." (Jimmy Buffett covering Lovett)
USMCsilver is offline   Reply With Quote