SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-05-2014, 10:55   #1
Bomber Nav

Indiana Gun Laws

Fellow GTer's:
We're thinking of moving to Indiana, and I'm wondering about that state's gun laws. Anyone here from Indiana, preferably LEO or an attorney, or maybe a CCW holder, who can enlighten me? Being a Southerner, I'm suspicious of anything even close to Illinois. Any controlled or prohibited Weapons? Any magazine restrictions? Any difficulty in obtaining an Indiana CCW?

Thanks in advance!
Bomber Nav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 15:23   #2
GLHunter
Glockanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber Nav View Post
Fellow GTer's:
We're thinking of moving to Indiana, and I'm wondering about that state's gun laws. Anyone here from Indiana, preferably LEO or an attorney, or maybe a CCW holder, who can enlighten me? Being a Southerner, I'm suspicious of anything even close to Illinois. Any controlled or prohibited Weapons? Any magazine restrictions? Any difficulty in obtaining an Indiana CCW?

Thanks in advance!
I'm an Indiana resident with a LTCH, which is not a CCP, because, with it, we can CC or OC where not actually prohibited by law. Aside from dealing with paperwork and finger prints, obtaining a four-year or lifetime LTCH is not a hassle.

A sawed-off, or short barreled shotgun is the only prohibited NFA arm in IN.

Weirdly, even though IN has enacted pre-emption, South Bend still prohibits magazines over 15 round capacity.

Terre Haute, where I reside, reluctantly acknowledges pre-emption, even though it is a bastion of liberals in an otherwise conservative state. But I can't recommend OC in Terre Haute.
Old 07-05-2014, 19:24   #3
Bomber Nav

Thanks! Terre Haute is where we're thinking of, because we've got family there now. Our move is going to be a couple of years away...until I finish out my contract job here in N.C. I just wanted to know if the AR, the 30 rd mags, the "hi-cap" pistol mags, etc etc were going to land me in the slammer.

So...basically stay out of South Bend and Indianapolis with the hi-caps?
Old 07-06-2014, 03:38   #4
GLHunter
Glockanite

Quote:
Thanks! Terre Haute is where we're thinking of, because we've got family there now. Our move is going to be a couple of years away...until I finish out my contract job here in N.C. I just wanted to know if the AR, the 30 rd mags, the "hi-cap" pistol mags, etc etc were going to land me in the slammer.

So...basically stay out of South Bend and Indianapolis with the hi-caps?

Just South Bend. And possibly NW IN around Chicago. Everywhere else hi-caps and so-called assault weapons are good to go in IN.

Personally, I don't think local governments should be allowed to enforce these grandfathered anti laws. They remind me of speed traps. And they create needless confusion.
Old 07-06-2014, 03:44   #5
johnson8861
Daddo Chomper

I also live in Terre Haute. I was thinking DD's might be out, but I'm dumb and can't google-fu right now.
Indy is cool with standard capacity mags, I refuse to call them hi-caps.

Last edited by johnson8861; 07-06-2014 at 03:46..
johnson8861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 22:05   #6
Bomber Nav

"[B]Indy is cool with standard capacity mags, I refuse to call them hi-caps. "

Yeah, me too. That's why I put it in quotation marks. Okay...I'll show my ignorance. What are "DDs?"

At least, as I understand it, there are no weapon bans other than "the usual suspects" under the NFA. I won't move to a place where I have to give up my AR. It's never loaded itself and assaulted anyone....
Old 07-07-2014, 04:37   #7
felix1985
Draw the line

I live in NE Indy and have lived in Indiana for 26 of my 29 years. Indiana is still a pretty common sense, conservative state and quite gun-friendly in my opinion. I just obtained my lifetime CCW permit. I had previously held a CCW but it lapsed while I was out of state. Only took 4 weeks to get it and cost $135 after it was all said and done. No firearms course is required.

We'd love to have you!
felix1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 17:51   #8
Bomber Nav

Felix1985: Thanks for the info. I'd love a lifetime CCW rather than having to renew every five years or so. Beginning to believe being out of the South won't be quite so bad after all...LOL. It will be a couple of years until this job I'm in finishes up, but it looks like we're IN bound.

Now, if someone could just tell me what a Hoosier is???
Old 07-07-2014, 23:15   #9
johnson8861
Daddo Chomper

Destructive Device. M79, claymore, grenade, rifles greater than 50 bmg.
Old 07-08-2014, 19:49   #10
Bomber Nav

Thanks, johnson8861. I appreciate the definition of "DD." Just never heard that before...

Bomber Nav out
Old 07-14-2014, 16:56   #11
scottyd2506

Quote:
Fellow GTer's:

Thanks in advance!
Indiana has good gun laws. I like the other guys here also live in Terre Haute. This is the only state you can get a lifetime handgun permit, not hard to get at all.
This is a fairly conservative state, but Terre Haute is the most par, a fairly liberal city. Also, our university ISU is a liberal college our local news does lean heavy to the left
It's still better than the land of Lincoln's gun laws.
BTW that states laws are going to get much worse.

Last edited by scottyd2506; 07-14-2014 at 16:57..
scottyd2506 is offline   Reply With Quote