SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-09-2013, 20:04   #1
toddler

I'd like to make a video response to CNN

Hi Guys,
I posted this in another forum before I realized there was a Carolina forum. Very nice this is set up.

I've been reading articles on CNN and I watched Piers Morgan a couple of times, and it seems that our government and our media are once again distributing very inaccurate information in order to reintroduce an "assault weapons" and full capacity magazine ban.

I'd like to make a video response to Piers Morgan and CNN, post it to YouTube, and also send it to other media outlets. If this is done by a fairly large group of friendly and reasonable people, in a very clear and intelligent manner, I think it will be effective and could do a lot to counter a lot of misinformation being presented on TV and Online.

The issues I propose we address are two statements being made by many elected officials, and by the media. One, that assault rifles and the civilian versions of assault rifles, are designed to kill the most people in the shortest amount of time, and therefore aren't needed by people outside the military. And two, that full capacity magazines are not needed by average citizens who may need to use a firearm for self protection.

We all know that the ergonomics of military rifles is actually supposed to make them easier to operate quickly and accurately in a high stress situation. Exactly what you'd want when defending yourself. We also know that traditional rifles couldn't have a pistol grip because stocks made of wood have the grain running front to back, and a pistol grip would be very fragile.

In regards to the magazine issue, we know that while we can train ourselves to reload a magazine easily, doing so may not be easy for individuals with arthritis or even healthy people under stress.

I'd like to explain and demonstrate these facts in a friendly way through this proposed video. It can also, hopefully, be entertaining. I have a basic idea in my head, but would like to speak to some members near the RTP area of North Carolina, both to fine tune the ideas, and hopefully to organize a group to film the video. I'll contribute a few hundred dollars for any video equipment we need to rent and such, but I don't think I can pull this off alone.

If anyone would be interested in participating or helping, please respond here or contact me by PM.

Thanks and best regards,
Todd
toddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:06   #2
toddler

88 views, and not one of you would be interested in contributing to something that might counter some media misinformation?

I'm not asking for money guys. Just input and advice.

Todd
Old 01-10-2013, 08:14   #3
Glock30Eric
.45 ACP

I don't think CNN will ever upload your video because it isn't aligned with their mission to abolish all the guns in America.

Don't you remember what they have done to Ron Paul? What do you expect with the Pro-Gun movements on CNN?
Glock30Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:17   #4
toddler

Hi Eric,

I know it doesn't seem that way right now, but I think CNN actually tries very hard to present both sides. You have to give some people on CNN credit. Last night Anderson Cooper had 3 guests on, and the most intelligent one was actually the beautiful blond woman, Margaret something, who made a lot of good points in a very short time interval. So not only did he try to have people there to discuss the topic responsibly, he found a hot blonde with brains. Clearly he's a fantastic reporter.

What I see as the biggest problem in this debate is that many of the people getting air time on the pro-rights side don't communicate well. They especially don't communicate well with the more liberal media, that needs to be presented with a scholarly discussion, not an argument. The gun crimes that private citizens firearms ownership could show a demonstrable impact on, are actually very rare. Even Lott's discussions on the topic are fairly weak from a statistical analysis perspective. Nearly as weak as the arguments currently being presented to support a ban on assault style rifles and full capacity magazines.

The science and proof aren't there for either side, so the discussion on decreasing violent crime needs to focus on real numbers, maximum benefit for any further infringements on firearms rights, and an honest evaluation of cost benefit that takes into account both human rights and money.

We can't cover all those issues in a short video, but we can start the conversation by pointing out some of the flaws on both sides. I'm confident that if we do this, we'll be heard by a lot of reasonable people who are simply misinformed right now. But even if we aren't, well
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
― Edmund Burke

Best regards,
Todd

Last edited by toddler; 01-10-2013 at 09:18.. Reason: grammar
Old 01-10-2013, 09:57   #5
Glock30Eric
.45 ACP

Todd,

You are on the point. I wish you the best with making a video for CNN.

Eric
Glock30Eric is offline   Reply With Quote