CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

On Apple’s iPad 5, iPhone 5S, and Plastic iPhone

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/bac...lastic-iphone/
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:59   #2
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

My iPad II still runs wickit-good. I can't see replacing it in the next year or possibly 3, depending on IOS updates I "need."

At some point, a super-duper resolution screen just doesn't do it. So it's going to be processor speed that'll stop me from not upgrading. I can't justify spending $600 on an upgrade for a slightly smaller device. I've fiddled with a Mini and IT IS COOL, but not another $600 cool for a iPad5 on teh same scale but a bigger screen.

But good for Apple - there ARE people that haven't upgraded yet, or who NEED the next-latest thing. My iPad is the most used device I own, outside of work. And I think as I get used to it in the next year or so, it will become THE most used device - as I use it to take notes and display stuff for clients on the fly. (Those things ARE possible now, I just find it all clunky. I'd redesign the home-bar-thingy but I also use it for personal use. So taking Safari and Email and such off of the bar to get my business apps isn't appealing yet.)
Old 01-28-2013, 13:17   #3
harlenm

My original ipad runs awful. So bad, that I retired it and it's sitting in a drawer somewhere in my house.

It seems that the older hardware can't run the newer software efficiently anymore.
harlenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 13:25   #4
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlenm View Post
My original ipad runs awful. So bad, that I retired it and it's sitting in a drawer somewhere in my house.

It seems that the older hardware can't run the newer software efficiently anymore.
Did it work well until OS upgrades?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Copatalk 2

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
Old 01-28-2013, 13:30   #5
harlenm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBO View Post
Did it work well until OS upgrades?

Yes, the last update was what killed it.
Old 01-28-2013, 13:39   #6
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

I don't own one, any way to revert to the previous OS version?

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
Old 01-28-2013, 13:40   #7
harlenm

Quote:

Not that I know of, but I don't even care anymore. I'll stick with my Nexus 7.
Old 01-28-2013, 13:44   #8
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

If you change your mind there are some members here who are pretty good and willing to help with tech issues.

Indy gave me some well appreciated help with a dual boot Linux/XP install on a Netbook (sadly now dead).

Maybe you can look at flashing/ROM installs on your ipad? If you're not using it no worry about breaking it .

Something to think about anyway.

Old 01-28-2013, 13:53   #9
stolenphot0
RTF2 Addict

Harlanm may be able to Jailbreak and downgrade, but i am not sure. We have an iPad2 that still screams along so no need to upgrade here either.

stolenphot0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 15:21   #10
michael_b
BRC #1492

Quote:
Not that I know of, but I don't even care anymore. I'll stick with my Nexus 7.
Interested in selling it?

There are ways to downgrade but you have to find a copy of the OS to install.

"Compromise on gun-rights? Did Rosa Parks settle for the middle of the bus?"-Mushinto

Last edited by michael_b; 01-28-2013 at 15:22..
michael_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 16:44   #11
PuroMexicano
VIVA MEXICO !!!

It CAN be downgraded
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikerret View Post
I once didn't kill a mountain lion by hand when it tried to stare me down...once.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RioKid View Post
Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.:rofl::rofl:
PuroMexicano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 16:53   #12
nathanours
Texan

Nothing exciting from what information is given. It's a little thinner and smaller. Nothing to see here.

Black Rifle Club #1989
nathanours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 17:08   #13
ryanm

Quote:

Yes, I had to do it to an iPod touch to get it to talk to my car stereo again a while ago.
IF you can find a download of the OS, you can do it with iTunes.
ryanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 17:17   #14
jdavionic
NRA Member

Wow, I just got an iPhone 5 last week and they're coming out with a 5s?? Always one step behind.

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
jdavionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 17:21   #15
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Just the nature of tech. Enjoy your new device and don't worry about what might be, or is next.

Old 01-28-2013, 17:26   #16
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavionic View Post
Wow, I just got an iPhone 5 last week and they're coming out with a 5s?? Always one step behind.
Apple always does that releases a new model then six months later comes the "S" model.

"S" stands for SUCKER!!!!

Old 01-28-2013, 18:05   #17
jdavionic
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoon44 View Post
Apple always does that releases a new model then six months later comes the "S" model.

"S" stands for SUCKER!!!!

Okay...that was funny

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
jdavionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 18:22   #18
michael_b
BRC #1492

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavionic View Post
They update most of their products once a year - check this buyers guide -

Macrumors Buyers Guide

"Compromise on gun-rights? Did Rosa Parks settle for the middle of the bus?"-Mushinto

Last edited by michael_b; 01-28-2013 at 18:23..
michael_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 18:53   #19
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis in MA View Post
My iPad II still runs wickit-good. I can't see replacing it in the next year or possibly 3, depending on IOS updates I "need."

At some point, a super-duper resolution screen just doesn't do it. So it's going to be processor speed that'll stop me from not upgrading. I can't justify spending $600 on an upgrade for a slightly smaller device. I've fiddled with a Mini and IT IS COOL, but not another $600 cool for a iPad5 on teh same scale but a bigger screen.

But good for Apple - there ARE people that haven't upgraded yet, or who NEED the next-latest thing. My iPad is the most used device I own, outside of work. And I think as I get used to it in the next year or so, it will become THE most used device - as I use it to take notes and display stuff for clients on the fly. (Those things ARE possible now, I just find it all clunky. I'd redesign the home-bar-thingy but I also use it for personal use. So taking Safari and Email and such off of the bar to get my business apps isn't appealing yet.)
I'm the opposite. My ipad2 was relegated to in flight movies only. I jumped at the mini. It is small and light enough to hold in one hand comfortably as a reader, fits in my pocket often and is unnoticeable in my bag. The form factor was right.

However I still use it relatively little but more than before. What do you use it for all day that you can't use your phone for?
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 18:57   #20
harlenm

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_b View Post
Interested in selling it?

There are ways to downgrade but you have to find a copy of the OS to install.
Possibly. What are you offering?
Old 01-28-2013, 19:26   #21
sputnik767

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_b View Post
They update most of their products once a year - check this buyers guide -

Macrumors Buyers Guide
That looks like it's changing, at least for iphones and ipads. As far me, I have no interest in their current products. Every ipad has been a minor incremental change, and same goes for the iphone. The ipad mini was just a smaller ipad with a crap display and inflated cost. What I will likely get when it comes out in a month is the Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0. Yes, it's an 8" version of the Galaxy Note 2 phone and the same size as the ipad mini, but it has a better screen, comes with the S-pen, has an NFC chip (probably), and will likely cost considerably less than the ipad mini, which is ironically inferior in just about every aspect. As much as I hate to say it, my 13" Macbook Pro is inferior to my sister's Lenovo laptop as well. Hers is an inch bigger, and considerably lighter, with more features.

If Apple's recent stock price is any indication, consumers overall are starting to have their doubts about the future of Apple products as well.

Last edited by sputnik767; 01-28-2013 at 19:30..
sputnik767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 19:44   #22
happy seal

Quote:
Possibly. What are you offering?
What you someone need to do to fix that one Harlem? If other member backs out I might drive down and grab it if price is right. Which I am unsure of!

"Off to the Salt Mine, My Friend"
happy seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 20:10   #23
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik767 View Post
That looks like it's changing, at least for iphones and ipads. As far me, I have no interest in their current products. Every ipad has been a minor incremental change, and same goes for the iphone. The ipad mini was just a smaller ipad with a crap display and inflated cost. What I will likely get when it comes out in a month is the Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0. Yes, it's an 8" version of the Galaxy Note 2 phone and the same size as the ipad mini, but it has a better screen, comes with the S-pen, has an NFC chip (probably), and will likely cost considerably less than the ipad mini, which is ironically inferior in just about every aspect. As much as I hate to say it, my 13" Macbook Pro is inferior to my sister's Lenovo laptop as well. Hers is an inch bigger, and considerably lighter, with more features.

If Apple's recent stock price is any indication, consumers overall are starting to have their doubts about the future of Apple products as well.
Sput - which lenovo?
Old 01-28-2013, 20:24   #24
sputnik767

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
Sput - which lenovo?
Don't know the exact model or exact specs, but it's a 14" one with a core i7 CPU. Comparing with my Core 2 Duo MBP (design-wise, not performance-wise), it is both lighter and bigger, with a considerably better screen resolution and brighter display. I can't speak for battery life. I suspect the price is cheaper (it was given to her by her school) than a comparable current MBP. Overall for me, I value weight saving and cost above things like a backlit keyboard and multitouch trackpad. I also really don't like the MBP chicklet keyboard, and much prefer the one on my old Dell as well as the Lenovo. To be honest, I don't see the value of the MBP trackpad vs the standard one. As far as features go, I hate the fact that I have to buy a special adapter to output to a TV, when every laptop has the standard HDMI output, and I find that having only 2 USB ports so close together, I often can't plug in 2 flash drives at the same time. It's a prime example of form over function that is prevalent in this laptop and most other Apple gadgets.

Last edited by sputnik767; 01-28-2013 at 20:27..
sputnik767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 20:35   #25
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik767 View Post
Don't know the exact model or exact specs, but it's a 14" one with a core i7 CPU. Comparing with my Core 2 Duo MBP (design-wise, not performance-wise), it is both lighter and bigger, with a considerably better screen resolution and brighter display. I can't speak for battery life. I suspect the price is cheaper (it was given to her by her school) than a comparable current MBP. Overall for me, I value weight saving and cost above things like a backlit keyboard and multitouch trackpad. I also really don't like the MBP chicklet keyboard, and much prefer the one on my old Dell as well as the Lenovo. To be honest, I don't see the value of the MBP trackpad vs the standard one. As far as features go, I hate the fact that I have to buy a special adapter to output to a TV, when every laptop has the standard HDMI output, and I find that having only 2 USB ports so close together, I often can't plug in 2 flash drives at the same time. It's a prime example of form over function that is prevalent in this laptop and most other Apple gadgets.
Whatever you do don't take my multitouch trackpad, or backlit keyboard for that matter.

Adapter for the TV? I can't say I've ever plugged any of mine into a TV. With a $99 Apple TV I can just click and mirror it on the TV.

I'm in sales so I find it interesting how people value different things in the same product.

How would it fare against the 13MB Air?