GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 14:58   #26
par4buffett
Senior Member
 
par4buffett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: north Houston
Posts: 122
Send a message via MSN to par4buffett
Too many shootings in the news with the gun control efforts underway. Granted each shooting is tragic, but is the media focusing on gun violence more than ever to aid their agenda?
Has this country ever given as massive a solid push to fight DUI deaths as much as gun control? When DUIs far outweigh gun deaths... and DUI drivers get pats on the hand and let go to repeat and repeat their deadly drunk driving... but one act of gun violence and you are toast ... if they catch you.

What are the odds that the poor young girl would end up shot and killed at this point after such a big event for her? How horrible for her and her family!!
par4buffett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 15:09   #27
RGbiker
Senior Member
 
RGbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,380
Question to all:
Slight thread drift here.......

Where would you feel safer?

New York City, where no one can legally carry a gun.

Phoenix where every one can carry a gun.


Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
__________________
If Obama is the answer, then how stupid was the question?
RGbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 15:09   #28
N4LP
Senior Member
 
N4LP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGbiker View Post
In none of those listed cities, except Phoenix, can damn near each citizen legally own and open carry a handgun.

So, you're stats are meaningless.

If Arizona's borders were more secure, our homicide rate would be much lower.
Washington state has open carry and shall issue CPL (Concealed Pistol License). So you can carry around on your hip without having to do a thing, and if you want to concealed carry permit you need a pulse, fingerprints, and $60 (for 5 years).
N4LP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 15:15   #29
ray9898
Senior Member
 
ray9898's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Georgia
Posts: 17,172


Quote:
Originally Posted by RGbiker View Post
In none of those listed cities, except Phoenix, can damn near each citizen legally own and open carry a handgun.

So, you're stats are meaningless.

If Arizona's borders were more secure, our homicide rate would be much lower.
Actually, none of the cities in that list from Phoenix down would be considered anti-gun states. NC, FL, AL have loose gun laws and New Orleans who is at the top is in the state with some of the least restrictive gun laws in the land.
ray9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 15:15   #30
N4LP
Senior Member
 
N4LP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGbiker View Post
Question to all:
Slight thread drift here.......

Where would you feel safer?

New York City, where no one can legally carry a gun.

Phoenix where every one can carry a gun.
In either city, it would depend on which neighborhood I was in. Generally speaking I don't worry about getting shot, but then I tend not to put myself in places or situations where it's a real concern.
N4LP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 15:17   #31
Berto
woo woo
 
Berto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: WA
Posts: 28,699


I love how failing leadership in these cities blame other nearby cities or states for their gun violence, despite the fact that these other cities and states have much lower homicide rates and more liberal gun laws.
__________________
...Then I found a place it's dark and it's rotted
it's a cool, sweet kinda-place where the copters won't spot it.
-T Hip
Berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 15:28   #32
jdeere_man
CLM Number 26
Charter Lifetime Member
 
jdeere_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW Missouri
Posts: 3,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGbiker View Post
Question to all:
Slight thread drift here.......

Where would you feel safer?

New York City, where no one can legally carry a gun.

Phoenix where every one can carry a gun.


Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
That is a trick question.
__________________
Be weary of a summit that begins with sharing bread; for the sated man is at his weakest.
jdeere_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 15:30   #33
jdeere_man
CLM Number 26
Charter Lifetime Member
 
jdeere_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW Missouri
Posts: 3,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berto View Post
I love how failing leadership in these cities blame other nearby cities or states for their gun violence, despite the fact that these other cities and states have much lower homicide rates and more liberal gun laws.
Maybe not the best choice of words on your part, but I think it's fair to assume by "liberal gun laws" you mean less restrictive
__________________
Be weary of a summit that begins with sharing bread; for the sated man is at his weakest.
jdeere_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 15:34   #34
BobbyS
You Talkin ToMe
 
BobbyS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: In The Noise
Posts: 2,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4LP View Post
In either city, it would depend on which neighborhood I was in. Generally speaking I don't worry about getting shot, but then I tend not to put myself in places or situations where it's a real concern.

So, you are saying by avoiding "bad" areas, you do not need a gun?
__________________
I don't mind shooting, as long as the right person gets shot! - D. Harry
BobbyS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 15:39   #35
Berto
woo woo
 
Berto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: WA
Posts: 28,699


Quote:
Originally Posted by jdeere_man View Post
Maybe not the best choice of words on your part, but I think it's fair to assume by "liberal gun laws" you mean less restrictive
It's not that tricky, take the term 'liberal' literally.
__________________
...Then I found a place it's dark and it's rotted
it's a cool, sweet kinda-place where the copters won't spot it.
-T Hip
Berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 15:45   #36
Bren
NRA Life Member
 
Bren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 33,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by par4buffett View Post
Too many shootings in the news with the gun control efforts underway. Granted each shooting is tragic, but is the media focusing on gun violence more than ever to aid their agenda?
Has this country ever given as massive a solid push to fight DUI deaths as much as gun control? When DUIs far outweigh gun deaths... and DUI drivers get pats on the hand and let go to repeat and repeat their deadly drunk driving... but one act of gun violence and you are toast ... if they catch you.

What are the odds that the poor young girl would end up shot and killed at this point after such a big event for her? How horrible for her and her family!!
The difference? Most of the people who make laws drink and drive or have done so in the past. They know DUI drivers are "good people" like them.

They don't defend themselves, and they saw on TV that only the police and criminals have guns.

People legislate against the conduct of OTHERS, not themselves.
__________________
If you are not an NRA member, you are not involved in gun rights, so sit down and shut the +%@# up.

Last edited by Bren; 01-30-2013 at 15:49..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 15:50   #37
N4LP
Senior Member
 
N4LP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyS View Post
So, you are saying by avoiding "bad" areas, you do not need a gun?
The chances that I'll need a gun are so slim that, in general, I don't spend time worrying about.

Could I end up getting shot in some seemingly safe pace? Sure, but it's more likely that I'll die in a car accident and I don't spend much time worrying about that either.
N4LP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 15:53   #38
Berto
woo woo
 
Berto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: WA
Posts: 28,699


Quote:
Originally Posted by N4LP View Post
The chances that I'll need a gun are so slim that, in general, I don't spend time worrying about.

Could I end up getting shot in some seemingly safe pace? Sure, but it's more likely that I'll die in a car accident and I don't spend much time worrying about that either.
You don't wear a seat belt?
__________________
...Then I found a place it's dark and it's rotted
it's a cool, sweet kinda-place where the copters won't spot it.
-T Hip
Berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 15:57   #39
vart
Senior Member
 
vart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Moscow, ID
Posts: 16,790


Quote:
Originally Posted by IGotIt View Post
shame on the administrations in illinois, and in Chicago, where for years they have ignored, and/or failed to act on the numerous acts of violence by the drug dealers, gangs, and thugs, while instead, going against the good, law abiding citizens who happen to own weapons.
In Chicago, it is the drug dealers and thugs who ARE the administrations...
__________________
Okie -

"That's a big bite of crap sandwich, my friend..."

Rabbi - "Anyways, that is a beautiful car. Bill probably already farted in it."
vart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 15:59   #40
ICARRY2
NRA Life Member
 
ICARRY2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4LP View Post
Washington state has open carry and shall issue CPL (Concealed Pistol License). So you can carry around on your hip without having to do a thing, and if you want to concealed carry permit you need a pulse, fingerprints, and $60 (for 5 years).
Actually, if you are 21 or over and not a prohibited from owning a gun you can carry concealed without a permit in Arizona. Though I do reccomend getting a ccw permit to carry in 36 other states.
ICARRY2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 16:03   #41
itstime
Senior Member
 
itstime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 6,542
RIP. it's so sad nobody doesn't do anything about guns there. So much murder.


Dumbass me.

No mention in the news how well it works there.
itstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 16:11   #42
TK-421
Senior Member
 
TK-421's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefret View Post
http://www.myfoxchicago.com/story/20...ad-as-it-seems


Well there you go. Bannig guns must be working.
"Our murders this weekend aren't as bad as they were last year."

Yeah, and the people killed by rifles aren't as many as the people who die falling out of bed. But I don't see you trying to ban tall beds.
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 19:47   #43
N4LP
Senior Member
 
N4LP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berto View Post
You don't wear a seat belt?
Yes I do where a seat belt.
And I avoid bad areas of town.

I you feel more comfortable driving with a helmet, or taking a gun to your local grocery store than that's your right. Maybe you're a horrible driver, or live in a bad part of town, or maybe you're just paranoid. Either ways, it's your choice to make and I'm not trying to take it from you.
N4LP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 19:52   #44
Jade Falcon
Go Blazers!
 
Jade Falcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Vancouver, WA.
Posts: 3,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
Urban youth, gang violence.
This.

Sorry, no offense to the dead; nobody that age deserves to die. But I'm past caring about things in Chicago. They dug their grave with all of their Liberal bull**** and gangs, now they can lay in it.
__________________
AK-47 WASR 10/63, Puma M92 16" .454 Casull, Glock 22 .40 S&W, Marlin M60W .22 LR, Ruger GP100 4" .357 Magnum, Winchester M1400 12 ga.
Jade Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 19:57   #45
N4LP
Senior Member
 
N4LP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,613
double post.

Last edited by N4LP; 01-30-2013 at 19:59..
N4LP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 20:05   #46
Bren
NRA Life Member
 
Bren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 33,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by par4buffett View Post
Too many shootings in the news with the gun control efforts underway. Granted each shooting is tragic, but is the media focusing on gun violence more than ever to aid their agenda?
The media has done this, as obviously as they can, for all my life, but I was only born in the 60's. If this is a new thing, I can only think you are new to the gun control issue and just never noticed it before.
__________________
If you are not an NRA member, you are not involved in gun rights, so sit down and shut the +%@# up.
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 20:07   #47
LASTRESORT20
LongTerm-Guy
 
LASTRESORT20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 6,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
I irony is, a murder that illustrates that the strictest gun control in America DOES NOT work, will be used to support more gun control.

Agree....
LASTRESORT20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 20:30   #48
Bruce H
Senior Member
 
Bruce H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: missouri
Posts: 4,518
If this country had it's collective head out of it's ass there wouldn't be any unsafe places to be.
__________________
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 00:16   #49
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.
 
kirgi08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Acme proving grounds.
Posts: 26,676
Blog Entries: 1


Yeah there would.'08.
__________________
I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:13   #50
*ASH*
Senior Member
 
*ASH*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: nc
Posts: 22,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4LP View Post
Who cares about the entire state, unless maybe it's Rhode Island. If I'm living in Phoenix, the murder rate of Arizona as a whole is just trivia. And if I was worried about being murdered, I'd be safer in New York, NY.

2009 numbers because that's what was easiest to find:

Murder rate per 100,000 people.

Cary, NC - 0.00
San Diego, CA - 3.12
Raleigh, NC - 3.45
Seattle, WA - 3.65
New York, NY Murder Rate - 5.61
Phoenix, AZ Murder Rate - 7.64
Durham, NC - 9.23
Jacksonville, FL - 12.22
Miami, FL - 14.07
Chicago, IL Murder Rate - 16.08
Tulsa, OK Murder rate - 17.67
Birmingham, AL - 28.59
New Orleans, LA - 51.72
thankfully im right at CARY ,and raleigh
__________________
'Most people have a regulator between their mind and mouth that modulates their brutish sentiments and spikiest impulses.
*ASH* is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 21:24.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,383
402 Members
981 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42