SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:14   #1
M&P15T
Beard One

Tea Party Political Stances

Where does the Tea Party stand on gay marriage and abortion?
M&P15T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:18   #2
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Probably varied. I thought that the Tea Party is more focused on the economy and the budget?
Old 01-30-2013, 08:21   #3
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

How much are each of those taxed?

I guess you could glean the stance based on the answer to the above question.
HerrGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:24   #4
M&P15T
Beard One

I checked the Tea Party web-site, I didn't see anything specific regarding those two issues.

Thinking logically, if the Tea Party is all about the Constitution, Amendments and Bill of Rights, they should be pro-choice and pro gay marriage, based on seperation of Church & State.

Anyone got any other insights?
Old 01-30-2013, 08:28   #5
SC Tiger
Shaved Ape

Probably varies by candidate, though the Dems would have you think they are all bible-thumping racists who hate abortion and gay marriage.

Someone should really let Tim Scott know that a lot of his supporters hate black people. It would probably surprise him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keoking View Post
If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.
SC Tiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:28   #6
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P15T View Post
I checked the Tea Party web-site, I didn't see anything specific regarding those two issues.

Thinking logically, if the Tea Party is all about the Constitution, Amendments and Bill of Rights, they should be pro-choice and pro gay marriage, based on seperation of Church & State.

Well, that's one way to interpret it.

That was like watching that guy on South Beach Classics buy cowrz. (cars to the rest of us - cowrz??? It's a CAR, dude.)

(Guy is asking $4K for a car that baldy wants to buy.)
"I'm at $3,000. You're going to bottom out at $3,500. I'm trying to decide if I want to go that high or stick with $3K. How about we meet in the middle at $3,250."

CLASSIC! Without the seller saying a word, he lopped off $500 and then stuck him for $250 more!
Old 01-30-2013, 08:32   #7
ChuteTheMall
What Difference

The TEA Party means Taxed Enough Already.

They have done a great job of not being distracted by other social issues, including gun control, global warming, and jihad.

I have no doubt that the vast majority of TEA Party activists hold conservative views on these other vital issues, but there is no need to be distracted.

The media would love to misidentify the TEA Party as a militia of racist gun nuts and tinfoil nutjobs; don't feed those trolls. It's the economy.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:32   #8
Gonetodarkside
owl protector

Quote:

Being pro constitution does not mean you are pro gay marriage or pro choice, it means you feel it is not the federal governments business to legislate such matters.

for example, I am a libertarian that chooses to live a conservative lifestyle. I feel that gay marriage is a sin, that being said I do not want the federal government to legislate morality.

Personally I consider abortion murder and that makes it a much different issue than gay marriage.
Gonetodarkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:36   #9
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonetodarkside View Post
Being pro constitution does not mean you are pro gay marriage or pro choice, it means you feel it is not the federal governments business to legislate such matters.

for example, I am a libertarian that chooses to live a conservative lifestyle. I feel that gay marriage is a sin, that being said I do not want the federal government to legislate morality.

Personally I consider abortion murder and that makes it a much different issue than gay marriage.
Yes, your words are a better description of what I think the Tea Party should be about. Not so much "Pro", as the Government needs to keep their fat noses out of it.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:46   #10
ChuteTheMall
What Difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis in MA View Post

That was like watching that guy on South Beach Classics buy cowrz. (cars to the rest of us - cowrz??? It's a CAR, dude.)
I've heard youse guys tawking about pawking the caw over on the fawr side of the yawd.
ChuteTheMall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:51   #11
Jeffrey Lebowski
Not a golfer

Quote:

This.

Caveat: I've never partied with the TEA party crowd (I have a job), but in general it makes me cringe when we ask about whether or not gay marriage should be allowed.

How about we re-frame the question around why the government is involved in ANY of our marriages? [edit: I know the answer why...] It should be between you, your [potential] spouse, and your God - if applicable.

Last edited by Jeffrey Lebowski; 01-30-2013 at 08:51..
Jeffrey Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:06   #12
WarCry

Mr. Lebowski above hit it on the head when he properly identified them as the TEA Party. The group was founded around one concept - "Taxed Enough Already". It's an acronym that defines their overall goals.

Arguably, as others have stated, the TEA Party may have both social conservatives and social liberals, because it's fiscal conservatism that is their center piece. Whether or not that's the reality would likely depend on your local group, as there's not really a true national TEA Party.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:01   #13
ChuteTheMall
What Difference

Quote:
Where does the NRA stand on gay marriage and abortion?
ChuteTheMall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:23   #14
Hard_Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post

They have done a great job of not being distracted by other social issues, including gun control, global warming, and jihad.

I have no doubt that the vast majority of TEA Party activists hold conservative views on these other vital issues, but there is no need to be distracted.

The media would love to misidentify the TEA Party as a militia of racist gun nuts and tinfoil nutjobs; don't feed those trolls. It's the economy.
The Tea Party in General is Pro 2A and one of the Social issues that it is involved in. The Tea Party bases its issues on the Bill of Rights, the Constitution, so some social issues it will touch.

As for Pro Gay and Pro Abortion, there are basically two sides of the Tea Party, the Conservative Side( bachmann, palin, etc.., and the Libertarian Side (Paul, Amash, etc..) The Conservative side more against the Gay Marriage and Abortion, and the Libertarian side being more for it (or basing it up to the states to decide.

The Conservative Side wants to regulate what the FED Gov can do, while the Libertarian side wants to give the states almost all control over the issues.
Hard_Core is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:27   #15
PAGunner

If it doesn't pick my pocket, neither issue is any of my business.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:31   #16
sugarcreek
Tag Team Champs

Quote:
The Tea Party is all about less, more appropriate government.
Constitutional correctness. Less spending, CERTAINLY on the federal level. Thirdly less taxes again with emphasis on FEDERAL.
It is a definite reaction to BIG GOVERNMENT generally.

For a GREAT many of us certainly we are pro choice and pro gay marriage, or not. Got it?
Old 01-30-2013, 11:33   #17
SC Tiger
Shaved Ape

Quote:
The NRA has been hammered on here for not standing up for non-2A issues. I can't remember the specific thing but it was viewed as a first ammendment issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keoking View Post
If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Last edited by SC Tiger; 01-30-2013 at 11:36..
SC Tiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:45   #18
WarCry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Tiger View Post
The NRA has been hammered on here for not standing up for non-2A issues. I can't remember the specific thing but it was viewed as a first ammendment issue.
So, then, in your opinion (and only asking for your opinion, not a fight), should the TEA Party function more like an advocacy group like the NRA, or should they continue as a political movement/splinter group as they have for the last few years.

I don't think either is a wrong answer, BTW. I just think the TEA Party folks need to figure out exactly how they want to move forward so they don't stagnate.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:49   #19
Glock20 10mm
Use Linux!

Quote:
Most of the ones I have engaged in conversation are neutral and believe those to be of little importance compared to the bigger problems we face as a nation.
Glock20 10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:58   #20
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

Quote:
Depends. Are the ones-to-be-married and the unborn armed?
Old 01-30-2013, 13:17   #21
AirCav
CLM Number 284
Out Front!

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarCry View Post
Mr. Lebowski above hit it on the head when he properly identified them as the TEA Party. The group was founded around one concept - "Taxed Enough Already". It's an acronym that defines their overall goals.

Arguably, as others have stated, the TEA Party may have both social conservatives and social liberals, because it's fiscal conservatism that is their center piece. Whether or not that's the reality would likely depend on your local group, as there's not really a true national TEA Party.
Quote:
Agreed.

Taxed
Enough
Already

The media and others with similar agendas have been somewhat successful in muddying that message with all of the usual negative conservative stereotypes. Some people who identify with the TEA Party have muddied it themselves by not fully understanding the focus of the movement. The very loosely organized and decentralized structure also makes it difficult to manage the message. It is not intended to be just another conservative group.
AirCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 13:18   #22
N4LP

There are at least two ways you can answer this question:

Realistically
Ideologically

And then you can spend hours arguing over the two answers.
N4LP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 17:50   #23
dwhite53

Quote:

Abortion is hardly a new thing. Midwives knew centuries ago that certain combinations of herbs could induce labor.

Although I don't like the idea of abortion it's not the imperial governments job to either allow or deny it. It's a states rights issue at most.

All the Best,
D. White
Old 01-30-2013, 20:38   #24
stevelyn
NRA Life Member

Quote:

If they have any sense, they'll stay out of social and personal issues that don't affect them and focus on the political ones that do.
Usually sufferers of paraphilic infantilism are proud of their condition. Kinda like being a liberal. Your mental flaws are there for the entire world to see, and you're damned proud of it. - tank_monkey
stevelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 20:53   #25
HarlDane

Bachmann is chair of the Tea Party Caucus and she seems to like gays enough to marry one.

Last edited by HarlDane; 01-30-2013 at 20:53..
HarlDane is offline   Reply With Quote