Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:20   #1
Glock_Convert

We need to challenge misinformation in the media

I just sent the following to fox news.com after reading their headline story this morning. I strongly encourage you all to do likewise when the media spews inaccuracies that hurt informed discussion. If more people understood that the antis, with the willing or ignorant support of the media, are being sneaky here by calling semi auto rifles "assault weapons" and that what they really mean by "assault weapon" is "all firearms", maybe the antis could get shut down faster.

To: foxnewstips@foxnews.com

Subject: Error in today's foxnews.com headline story

Good morning, there is a significant error in your online headline story this morning entitled “NRA's LaPierre to tell Congress more gun laws 'not a serious solution'.

The seventh paragraph states “a lone gunman with psychological problems used an assault weapon...”

Assault Weapons are already banned in Connecticut and the firearm used by Adam Lanza was NOT AN ASSAULT WEAPON.* It was a semi-automatic rifle that was legal under both CT’s current assault weapon ban and the expired federal assault weapon ban.* In fact, the only “military features” it possessed were a pistol grip and a detachable magazine

Continuing to misidentify these firearms in stories misleads the public and is poor reporting.* People need to understand that if they want to ban weapons like the one used in the Sandy Hook killing, what they are really talking about is banning ALL semiautomatic rifles, because the one used at Sandy Hook was functionally no different from any other medium caliber semiautomatic rifle.*
Glock_Convert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:12   #2
Beware Owner
NOT a victim.

Nice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Beware Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:39   #3
RussP

Sounds like an idea.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 16:30   #4
Lord

very well stated. it is also known as witness on some video, that the AR was never in the building... it was found in the trunk of a car that didn't even belong to Lanza.

We will never know, but wouldn't it be something if Lanza never even knew the weapon was there?
Old 01-30-2013, 16:34   #5
Berto
woo woo

Start with MSNBC, cropping audio from the hearings in CT where a parent is reportedly 'heckled' by pro gunners- when full audio reveals he wasn't. At all.
It's pathetic.
Old 01-30-2013, 17:34   #6
Glock_Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
very well stated. it is also known as witness on some video, that the AR was never in the building... it was found in the trunk of a car that didn't even belong to Lanza.

We will never know, but wouldn't it be something if Lanza never even knew the weapon was there?
I am confused about what weapons were used. It was reported that the medical examiner said that all the fatalities were due to .223. But it was reported that lanza only had two handgun with him when they found his body. Then there was the whole "saiga in the trunk" issue and one report I saw said the ar was found in the back seat. Maybe the police report, when released will clear it up. But I would think some official in the know would have spoken up by now if the rifle wasn't used at all.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2
Glock_Convert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 18:14   #7
Jerry

Excellent!!! I continuously PO people at work... including my boss. They keep showing me internet and news paper articles supposedly supporting gun rights that contain misinformation. Just yesterday someone left one on the table that stated, "there are a zillion gun laws... "Australia has a complete ban on owning firearms". I wrote "FALSE" over bot statements and made a note. "I appreciate people supporting our Second Amendment Rights. However misinformation make us all look like fools." Then I posted a copy of the petition signed by our Special Forces personnel.
BIG DAWG #4

Liberal: Someone who is so open-minded their brains have fallen out.
Guns are not dangerous, people are.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 18:19   #8
Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock_Convert View Post
I am confused about what weapons were used. It was reported that the medical examiner said that all the fatalities were due to .223. But it was reported that lanza only had two handgun with him when they found his body. Then there was the whole "saiga in the trunk" issue and one report I saw said the ar was found in the back seat. Maybe the police report, when released will clear it up. But I would think some official in the know would have spoken up by now if the rifle wasn't used at all.

You mean you expect the truth to come-out like it has for Fast and Furious, the Trayvon Martin shooting, Waco and Ruby Ridge? Good luck with that.
BIG DAWG #4

Old 01-30-2013, 18:34   #9
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock_Convert View Post

State police identify weapons used in sandy hook investigation
http://www.ct.gov/despp/cwp/view.asp?Q=517284&A=4226

Quote:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
January 18, 2013

** UPDATE **

STATE POLICE IDENTIFY WEAPONS USED IN SANDY HOOK INVESTIGATION;
INVESTIGATION CONTINUES

In previous press conferences, the Connecticut State Police clearly identified all of the weapons seized from the crime scene at Sandy Hook Elementary School.
To eliminate any confusion or misinformation, we will again describe and identify the weapons seized at the school crime scene.

Seized inside the school:
#1. Bushmaster .223 caliber-- model XM15-E2S rifle with high capacity 30 round magazine

#2. Glock 10 mm handgun

#3. Sig-Sauer P226 9mm handgun

Seized from suspect’s car in parking lot:
#4. Izhmash Canta-12 12 gauge Shotgun (seized from car in parking lot)

This case remains under investigation.

Lt. J. Paul Vance

Content Last Modified on 1/23/2013 8:18:21 AM
In the original news release CSP described the Bushmaster this way:
Quote:
#1. Bushmaster .223 caliber-- model XM15-E2S rifle with high capacity 30 round clips
I sent the following email to Lt. Vance on January 20:
Quote:
Sent: Sunday, January 20, 2013 9:36 AM
To: 'DESPP.Feedback@ct.gov'
Subject: Attn: Lt. J. Paul Vance - Press Release dated January 18, 2013

First, all of you in LE involved in the Sandy Hook case have been in our prayers every single day. Thank you for enduring what you have. Yeah, you're just doing your job, but it's a job few people want to do, fewer are qualified to do, even fewer attempt to do, and even fewer do it well.

I moderate part of a forum called glocktalk.com. Sandy Hook is an active topic in several of our sub-forums, Political Issues, Gun Control, Cop Talk and our General forum.

I posted your release on Saturday to quell the rumor mills about the firearms believing it would calm things down.

Unbelievably, a huge uproar began. Why? Two items.

1. "...high capacity 30 round..."

2. "...clips"

Many believe the proper nomenclature for the 30-rnd capacity should be "standard", not "high". High would be a capacity above 30, such as the 60-rnd mags and 100-rnd drums.

Then there is "clips". The AR platform uses magazines. Rifles like a Garand use the clips. Yes, thanks to the media, and politicians, the public identifies either as "what holds bullets." Most of us familiar with different platforms are use to the misuse. One of our members said that the true tell of a firearms noobie is that they get their panties in a wad over the use of clips instead of mags.

If you have any interest in reading the thread, it is here: http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1465954

Again, thank you for all you do.
While they let the "high capacity" stand, they did change from "clips" to magazines.

Old 01-30-2013, 18:35   #10
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berto View Post
Start with MSNBC, cropping audio from the hearings in CT where a parent is reportedly 'heckled' by pro gunners- when full audio reveals he wasn't. At all.
It's pathetic.
That was sickening, irresponsible...but, what's new about that.

Old 01-30-2013, 19:36   #11
Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post
State police identify weapons used in sandy hook investigation
http://www.ct.gov/despp/cwp/view.asp?Q=517284&A=4226

In the original news release CSP described the Bushmaster this way:I sent the following email to Lt. Vance on January 20:While they let the "high capacity" stand, they did change from "clips" to magazines.
I'll tell you what is very strange about that. I saw with my very own eyes, and I'll bet money no one can find it anywhere now, on a local news broadcaster, video of someone taking an AR out of "A CAR TRUNK". That was one of the things mentions on the radio conspiracy theory broadcast that I listened to the other night. Now you see it, now you don't. Very strange how things get "rearranged" to fit the gun-banners agenda isn't it? But then I'm probably just and I didn't really see what I thought I saw.
BIG DAWG #4

Old 01-31-2013, 08:27   #12
Beware Owner
NOT a victim.

Used in Sandy Hook to me means that he had them, not that he actually fired it.

Beware Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:20   #13
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
I'll tell you what is very strange about that. I saw with my very own eyes, and I'll bet money no one can find it anywhere now, on a local news broadcaster, video of someone taking an AR out of "A CAR TRUNK". That was one of the things mentions on the radio conspiracy theory broadcast that I listened to the other night. Now you see it, now you don't. Very strange how things get "rearranged" to fit the gun-banners agenda isn't it? But then I'm probably just and I didn't really see what I thought I saw.
The helicopter video?

Old 01-31-2013, 18:23   #14
Jerry

Quote:
The helicopter video?
No, ground level video of PD or sheriff/deputy taking it out of a civilian car trunk and audio by a reporters saying "an assault weapon was found in the gunman's trunk". The helicopter video I saw showed the cops bringing someone to their knees behind the school. Never hear anymore about that person either. But then I stopped listing to the crap when the story kept changing. I said... HERE WE GO AGAIN. MAKE UP THE FACTS AS WE GO.
BIG DAWG #4

Old 01-31-2013, 18:44   #15
Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beware Owner View Post
Used in Sandy Hook to me means that he had them, not that he actually fired it.
Are you for real? I suppose he used the tire-iron too.

Boy has the educational system failed. Make up definitions to fit one's emotional beliefs.

After reading the "real" definitions please show me how "had/have" = "used".

Definition of USE
a : the act or practice of employing something
b : the fact or state of being used
c : a method or manner of employing or applying something

Definition of HAVE
a : to hold or maintain as a possession, privilege, or entitlement
b : to hold in one's use, service, regard, or at one's disposal

To use it one must have it. To have it doesn't not mean one used/uses it.
BIG DAWG #4

Last edited by Jerry; 01-31-2013 at 18:47..
Old 01-31-2013, 18:47   #16
RussP

Didn't see ground shot...

Wasn't the guy in the back the priest gathering firewood?

Old 01-31-2013, 19:02   #17
Jerry

Quote:
Didn't see ground shot...

Wasn't the guy in the back the priest gathering firewood?
Don't know. Was the priest running away from police and got cutoff by other police brought to his knees and handcuffed? If so than it was the priest. If not it was someone else. That was shot from a helicopter. As I said it didn't take long for me to start ignoring the BS. I knew pretty quickly that we'd never know the truth.
BIG DAWG #4

Old 01-31-2013, 19:12   #18
concretefuzzynuts
Brew Crew

One thing is for sure, we may never know the details or answers to this story.

Bad reporting? Conspiracy? Mis/Dis-information?

I know I Google searched: "fact check guy running into woods sandy hook" and these were the top two answers.

http://theintelhub.com/2013/01/26/sa...-camo-exposed/

http://www.pakalertpress.com/2013/01...-camo-exposed/

The wording is almost identical. And this is the first I've heard of this explanation. The others were a minister from the church across the street gathering firewood.

But the news video plastered all over the internet shows a man running from the police. What "minister gathering firewood" runs from the police? What "father coming to school to bake cookies" runs from the police?

When questions aren't answered and facts don't add up people start to question.

I am starting to question too.

Cue Peacewarrior.
GTDS Member #7
GOTOD Member #757
Snub Club Member #757
NRA Member
concretefuzzynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 19:12   #19
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
Don't know. Was the priest running away from police and got cutoff by other police brought to his knees and handcuffed? If so than it was the priest. If not it was someone else. That was shot from a helicopter. As I said it didn't take long for me to start ignoring the BS. I knew pretty quickly that we'd never know the truth.
That one!!!

No, that was shot a few days earlier before the non-shootings to use as filler for the media.

Old 01-31-2013, 19:29   #20
Jerry

Quote:
That one!!!

No, that was shot a few days earlier before the non-shootings to use as filler for the media.
Boy, you asking for a arss woppen? That's right... I call you BOY!
BIG DAWG #4