Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:17   #26
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4LP View Post
Kroger did the exact right thing. They're goal is to make money, not to protect your right to open carry an AR-15 in their store.
No. Kroger, or in this case a manager at Kroger, made a business decision. Whether or not it was "the exact right thing" remains to be seen.

It would be interesting to see the income for that store for the last two months and the next two months and compare them to last year's.
HerrGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:20   #27
ray9898

Complete idiot and I support Kroger 100%. You cause trouble on my property because of your lack of common sense and you will not be allowed to return.

I am sure he made a few friends for us gun owners with his antics.
ray9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:21   #28
rhikdavis
U.S. Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to rhikdavis Send a message via Skype™ to rhikdavis
Well, I would have asked the nearest cashier if that guy just got fired from here.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:24   #29
Reswob

Quote:
Originally Posted by wprebeck View Post
This clown is just like the folks in CA who proudly OC'd guns in an attempt to "normalize" their behavior (thus equating it to the gay rights movement*). They succeeded beyond their wildest dreams. It's no longer legal to open carry ANY handgun, loaded or not, in CA. And that is a DIRECT result of the OC community's actions.
I am so ****ing sick and tired of people *****ing about OC in CA. Unloaded OC is THE ONLY WAY most CA residents can legally carry a firearms.

Situation 1) they didn't OC, they couldn't carry any guns.
Situation 2) they OC'd, some sheep *****ed about it, and now they can't carry guns.

At least in Situation 1 they could protect themselves for a little while.
Reswob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:25   #30
Mushinto
Master Member

Having the right to do something, and having the common sense and self control to NOT do something are two attributes one should have.

The guy was an idiot.

ML

Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind, always.
Mushinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:28   #31
PAGunner

This one is in the, just cause it is legal doesn't mean it's a good idea category and I can see the legislature considering taking action against OCing after a situation like that. Very poor form.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:28   #32
wprebeck
Die, bird, die!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reswob View Post
I am so ****ing sick and tired of people *****ing about OC in CA. Unloaded OC is THE ONLY WAY most CA residents can legally carry a firearms.

Situation 2) they OC'd, some sheep *****ed about it, and now they can't carry guns.

Situation 3 - They find some way to establish residency in a CA county that WILL issue a permit.

Situation 4 (and I don't know, or care, if this works) - they find a way to get a non resident permit that CA honors.

And, as others have mentioned, calling people who choose not to carry a gun "sheep" is a GREAT way to get them on your side.
wprebeck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:32   #33
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1466194
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:38   #34
M&P Shooter
Metal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrGlock View Post
It's VA, people who carry are used to open carry. It's a non issue except to chicken little types.
True, I have been in the City Of Brotherly Doom for too long
Old 01-29-2013, 10:38   #35
racerford

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarCry View Post
An apt analogy when Canadians start lobbing mortars into Detroit or sending suicide bombers into Rochester.

Comparing anywhere in the US to life in Israel is a pretty far stretch. We've worked pretty hard so that we're NOT living life like Israel.
Does Mexico count, or only if Canada does it?

There have already been para-military incursions from NGEs from Mexico.

That sounds like Israel. So far no suicide bombers, but plenty of murders and kidknappings. Plenty of death being imported across that border, it is just a bit slower and less direct than suicide bombers.

edit to stay on topic: This was not a good idea to open carry an AR15 into the Kroger. I don't think concealed carry would have been much better.

Last edited by racerford; 01-29-2013 at 10:40..
racerford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:57   #36
RussP

Well, since none of y'all have any local knowledge of the event, let me fill in the gaping holes, squash the rumors, explain Kroger's official stance.

This had nothing to do with handgun open carry activism, per se. I'll get to that later.

This Kroger is not frequented that often by UVA students. It is more of a blue collar store, generally speaking. If his intent was to scare students, the Barracks Road Kroger store a couple miles away is closer to campus. More students shop there. The more affluent in C'Ville shop there, too.

He approached the store first without the rifle. It is reported he went to see if the store had signs prohibiting firearms. Obviously he was not familiar with either the store or Kroger policy.

Not finding a prohibitive sign he returned to his car, took out the rifle and walked back to and into the store. Witnesses reported they saw him walking around the entrance. No one reported he took a cart inside, starting shopping. He just wandered around the front.

People called 911, Charlottesville PD responded. They detained the man until they confirmed he was not a prohibited person, that he owned the rifle legally (no idea how) and that he was not carrying the rifle concealed.

No where in any news report did it mention he had a handgun also.

This next part gave me a bit of a chill.

A note found in the man's pocket spelled out his intent to express his 2nd Amendment rights. Why did he have a note in his pocket explaining his actions? My first thought was he was prepared for suicide by cop, but lot his nerve.

ETA - A VCDL member suggested he wanted to establish premeditation.

Police did not arrest him, so his name is unknown as is the exact wording on the note.

I have shopped at that store. I've OCed there. I've talked to management about product selection while shopping. I've talked to UVA faculty shopping there. I've never had a problem.

I do not know what CPD is doing about following this guy.

There are several things wrong with what he did, where he did it and how.

And then there's the note...

Now, The Fed, this is for you.
Quote:
Kroger Mid-Atlantic has released the following statement in regards to Sunday night's incident:

"Our policy in regards to guns in our stores is to comply with the state and local laws. The safety of our customers and our associates is always first and foremost as we run our business.

We treat each situation individually, based on the circumstance. In this case it was alarming and frightening to our customers and associates due to recent events.

Several of our customers dialed 9-1-1 and our store team's reaction was reasonable and understood."
http://www.nbc29.com/story/20755619/...endment-debate

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921

Last edited by RussP; 01-29-2013 at 11:39..
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:58   #37
frank4570
Feral human

Quote:
It's VA, people who carry are used to open carry. It's a non issue except to chicken little types.
I am in Charlottesville right now. Walking in to a grocery store with a rifle will definitely freak people out and get the police called.walking in to a gas station with a Glock, nobody will notice.

For too long people have said "screw NY, IL, etc" or "that'll never happen here." Yes, it will eventually. If we dont start standing up together now, it will never stop.-ilgunguygt
frank4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:59   #38
WarCry

Quote:
I am so ****ing sick and tired of people *****ing about OC in CA. Unloaded OC was THE ONLY WAY most CA residents could legally carry a firearms.
Because of the public outcry over the open-carry 'gatherings' (i.e. demonstrations), that's no longer an option.

Last edited by WarCry; 01-29-2013 at 11:00..
WarCry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:10   #39
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank4570 View Post
I am in Charlottesville right now. Walking in to a grocery store with a rifle will definitely freak people out and get the police called.walking in to a gas station with a Glock, nobody will notice.
That wasn't what I was responding to. Other poster said the guy was lucky no one drew on him. For people carrying, it tends to be a non issue until an aggressive move is made.

Was not talking about the chicken littles who called 911 in that part of it.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:28   #40
Bruce M

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post
I have shopped at that store. I've OCed there. .... I've never had a problem. ...

Hmmm This is interesting. We have someone who is familiar with the very store and carried openly there before, apparently without issue. I wonder why some people do not seem to have issues and others do. I would like to read some ideas as to why.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:30   #41
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M View Post
Hmmm This is interesting. We have someone who is familiar with the very store and carried openly there before, apparently without issue. I wonder why some people do not seem to have issues and others do. I would like to read some ideas as to why.
I would put large donations on the difference between a pistol in a holster and an AR on a sling would be the difference in reactions.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:30   #42
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M View Post
Those who go looking for a confrontation often find one.

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:51   #43
RussP

Quote:
I would put large donations on the difference between a pistol in a holster and an AR on a sling would be the difference in reactions.
Yes...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBO View Post
Those who go looking for a confrontation often find one.
and YES...

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:57   #44
JAS104
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ustate View Post
A guy near me open carried an AR into a JCPenny a couple weeks ago. It wasn't loaded and I guess nobody freaked out or called the police. Some girl in line behind him took a few pictures with her phone and those went viral. It was from those pics that the police first heard it even happened.
Yeah I saw that. Somebody posted it in a thread a week or so ago. I love how it was completely a non-issue there.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:59   #45
JAS104
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P Shooter View Post
True, I have been in the City Of Brotherly Doom for too long
You and me both. Somone carries a slung AR or AK into a Fresh Grocer or KMart Philly PD is NOT going to react well.
Imagine some dude with an AK on SEPTA?
Old 01-29-2013, 12:15   #46
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank4570 View Post
"Man banned from Charlottesville Kroger after entering with loaded AR-15"

Scaring the crap out of a bunch of college kids is always a good way to get your message across.

http://www.dailyprogress.com/news/ar...9bb30f31a.html
Not me. I would have strapped on a real rifle instead of a mattel toy.

Go big or go home.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:20   #47
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by wprebeck View Post
Or, he could use what we mortals who don't open carry the very type of rifle that is being displayed nationally as a "baby killer" into a grocery store:

Common sense.

This clown is just like the folks in CA who proudly OC'd guns in an attempt to "normalize" their behavior (thus equating it to the gay rights movement*). They succeeded beyond their wildest dreams. It's no longer legal to open carry ANY handgun, loaded or not, in CA. And that is a DIRECT result of the OC community's actions.

As Russ always says: When, and where, appropriate.

*When gun owners get a plurality of media support, plus fans in the political world, along with TV shows and movies that feature open carriers in a positive manner - then you can equate gun rights to gay rights. Until then, simply acknowledge it's an uphill battle that can NOT be won by shoving slung AR-15's in people's faces, especially after all that has happened with that particular platform this past year.
So, the CA people lost the right to open carry EMPTY GUNS. Yeah, what a loss.

At least they took the fight to the streets instead of whine about it.

They had dared to go against the sheeples' conventions, unlike scaredy kitties of your ilks.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:20   #48
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:

I think wprebeck agrees with you - it was good that they could at least carry openly and unloaded, but when the "activists" started calling attention to it and provoking police confrontations, the predicable result was that you lost all right to OC. Who didn't see that coming, besides some OC idiots.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:26   #49
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
I think wprebeck agrees with you - it was good that they could at least carry openly and unloaded, but when the "activists" started calling attention to it and provoking police confrontations, the predicable result was that you lost all right to OC. Who didn't see that coming, besides some OC idiots.
What's so good about OC empty? Might as well carry a baton.

Life is a gamble. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. However you can't win if you sit at home and wait for the NRA or somebody else to do your work for you.

Maybe it's just because we Californians aren't afraid of fighting for our rights.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:28   #50
wprebeck
Die, bird, die!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
So, the CA people lost the right to open carry EMPTY GUNS. Yeah, what a loss.

At least they took the fight to the streets instead of whine about it.

They had dared to go against the sheeples' conventions, unlike scaredy kitties of your ilks.
"My ilk"?

You must have me confused with someone else. My peeps and I can carry wherever, whenever ....for the most part. The trip to DC was pretty cool.
wprebeck is online now   Reply With Quote