Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-26-2013, 17:53   #1
BPPIX

Reloading vs buying ammo

Went to a local gunshow today here in Florida. I wanted to get some 124gr 9mm and maybe some 230gr 45s for reloading.

I could not find anyone selling just the components, but people were buying ammo like crazy. You couldn't even get close to the ammo tables because the line to the cashier was so long it wrapped around the vendors tables.

I think instead of selling components many realized they can make more selling reloads.

Bags of 50 reloads in various calibers were selling for $35.
5.56 was $1000 per 1000.

I just smiled and walked on by.... I love my Dillon!
BPPIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 19:59   #2
cowboy1964

$1 per round for .223 or 5.56 is absolutely insane. My last case of PMC X-TAC a few months ago was 30 cents per round. I should have bought all they had!

70 cents for reloaded pistol range ammo is insane too. I don't pay that much for the various JHP self-defense rounds.

This hysteria should (hopefully) disappear soon as it becomes obvious the AWB bill doesn't have a chance.

Last edited by cowboy1964; 01-26-2013 at 20:01..
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 20:05   #3
RustyFN

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPPIX View Post
Went to a local gunshow today here in Florida. I wanted to get some 124gr 9mm and maybe some 230gr 45s for reloading.

I could not find anyone selling just the components, but people were buying ammo like crazy. You couldn't even get close to the ammo tables because the line to the cashier was so long it wrapped around the vendors tables.

I think instead of selling components many realized they can make more selling reloads.

Bags of 50 reloads in various calibers were selling for $35.
5.56 was $1000 per 1000.

I just smiled and walked on by.... I love my Dillon!
I hear you. I haven't bought factory ammo in seven years. If it's a question of not being able to shoot or having to buy gun show reloads I just wouldn't shoot until I cold get components.
Old 01-26-2013, 20:09   #4
KoshTHX

I wish I had a Dillon (or even a Lee).
Local Fleet Farm has a box of .357 and a couple boxes of .44 Magnum. No other pistol unless you count the few boxes of .22lr. That's two shelves of ammo nearly bare (just the 3 boxes).
One Wally World I checked the just before me bought the only 2 boxes of 9mm (of any type) left (his friend arrived after me). There was no .45ACP left. Can't really say what the other pistol ammo was left. Most of the shelf was empty.
The other Wally World had 20 rounds of Hydra-Shoks left in 9mm (that's all for 9mm). They had a couple boxes of WWB 45ACP and the premium Winchester (XP1?) in 45ACP, as well as some other pistol ammo.
Gander Mountain had more people staring at the shelf than they had 9mm. Not too much choice in 45ACP either.
I didn't buy any ammo today. My only choices were expensive premium ammo which would have been too expensive to train or ammo so cheaply made that I don't believe the brass can be reloaded (for when I start to reload). Anything of reasonable quality that's affordable to train with is gone (or way overpriced).
Those of you already reloading that have components got it easy.
KoshTHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:50   #5
emb111

The folks that usually sell components at the Suncoast Shows weren't there. They were in Lakeland several weeks before. I went to the shows only to see if I could buy some powder and bullets before I ordered them elsewhere. The guys that were there were out of everything. I did get the powder I needed. Maybe they sold everything they had. Lakeland was an absolute zoo and so crowded you couldn't enjoy the show. The Suncoast Show was manageable and enjoyable.

I didn't even glance at the ammo tables.
emb111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:56   #6
shotgunred
reloading nut

I have to admit that it sucks not being able to get anything right now. But look at the silver lining. Even the democrat politicians know that Americans have bought every gun and every piece of ammo available in the country. Hopefully it will make them think about their own future if they try to piss off that many people.
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:00   #7
DoctaGlockta

Wow $1 round of 223 is really out there. Especially if people are paying that.

I wonder when all of this settles down if a higher base will be in place regarding pricing for everything firearms related.

Prices did come down after Barry's first election eventually. I'm assuming it will happen again.

- Barack Hussein Obama
DoctaGlockta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 13:03   #8
Tango 1Zero

I do both. I buy cheap CCI 9MM when you could find it and it was cheap $9.95 for 50 rounds.
Also just buy cheap 5.56 when I can find it for blasting. I save brass every range trip and scrounge up good brass others have left. Now when times like this comes up I reload. I have about everything I need and just shoot my reloads when I go now. Hopefully the supply will start catching up with the demand and if it doesnt you reload.
Old 01-30-2013, 14:15   #9
fredj338

Well sure, the ammom manuf also make the components, so ammo first. They sell more of it & for more $$. It's why smart reloaders keep a really good supply of consumables. Really smart reloaders learn how to make their own bullets, either casting or swaging, one less thing to rely on the manuf to provide.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 01-30-2013 at 14:15..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote