GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-27-2013, 15:43   #1
OuttaHand

I did it -- I signed up for my first event!

I learned about GSSF about a year ago when I got my G19. It sounded like a lot of fun! Not to mention the possibility of winning guns and cash!

The problem last year was that there just weren't many events near us, plus we had a real busy calendar.

Well this year my wife and I sat down with calendars and I made time in mid-July for the Lake Elmo, MN shoot. I just emailed my registration form a few minutes ago and made hotel reservations at the nearby Holiday Inn.

Now I have to be nervous about it for 5 months!

I remember the first time I tried a couple other big competitions for the first time:
In 1987 I had a big 4x4 and entered my first mud drag. I was just hoping I didn't get stuck and look like an idiot. Fortunately, I didn't. I didn't get close to winning, but I didn't place last or make a fool of myself.

Same thing around 1990 when I entered my first truck pull. I just hoped not to break or come in last. Neither of those happened. Whew!

So now it's another new thing! I won't be behind the wheel of a 500 HP mud truck, but I also don't have to worry about breaking something REALLY expensive, either! Plus, the cost of the ammo for this event will be a lot cheaper than the 5 gallons of aviation gas I burned in that truck at every event!

I've read a LOT of the great advice found in these forums on what to expect at the events. I plan to read a lot more, as well. I'm looking forward to this shoot in MN as well as the October shoot closer to home outside of Milwaukee, WI.

Any advice that anyone can offer here would certainly be appreciated! Other than spending lots of time on the range, is there anything special I can do for these GSSF-specific events?

Oh -- a side question: On my entry form for this event, I renewed my GSSF membership. That means I should expect the oh-so-wonderful "coupon" to arrive, right?
If it arrives and I can pick p a 2nd Glock before the event, it would be great to have a couple Glocks to enter!
OuttaHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 15:44   #2
sigman69

good luck....
Old 01-27-2013, 16:00   #3
emtjr928

Hope you have a good time @ your first match. It can be addicting. In addition to the rules as presented @ gssfonline.com, you would also benefit by reading the range officer info available here:
http://www.gssfonline.com/range-officer.cfm
It will help to read these, trust me.
emtjr928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 16:25   #4
lethal tupperwa

and you may not come in first or last BUT

You might win the Glock given away to

one of the new shooters at that match!

----------------------------------------

GLOCK CERTIFIED ARMORER
lethal tupperwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 19:45   #5
PM720

If you are going to practice I would suggest working on your accuracy at long range. The farthest targets are 25 yards so if you can hit those well you will do well. Don't shoot too fast. GSSF is more about accuracy balanced with speed. Speed comes with time. Try and practice transitions too since you will be engaging more than one target at a time. Check out videos on YouTube.

And MOST importantly, HAVE FUN!!

Scott
PM720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 19:53   #6
Fisherman

Welcome aboard. Relax and enjoy, especially the first. Let the ROs know that you're new and they'll help guide you through. If you don't already have enough mags and ammo, now is a good time to begin stocking up if supplies are as short in your area as they are here.

Last edited by Fisherman; 01-27-2013 at 19:53.. Reason: Typo
Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 20:15   #7
AZson

They are fun, I got my G38 from one.
Old 01-27-2013, 21:28   #8
njl

If you have access to a range where you have the space for it, I think it's really helpful to setup the GSSF match stages and practice them the way you're likely to see them at the match. Since they've come up with variations for 5-to-Glock and Glock-M, you can't guarantee you'll have practiced the same layout the match will use, but just getting used to hitting D1 targets at the various distances, transitioning from target to target, etc. can get you used to GSSF-type shooting.

Your other competitions sound like how I approached GSSF. For my first match, my goal was no missed targets or plates left standing.
Old 01-27-2013, 22:18   #9
SARDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaHand View Post
...the cost of the ammo for this event will be a lot cheaper than the 5 gallons of aviation gas I burned in that truck at every event!
Are you sure??

Welcome aboard.
SARDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 19:08   #10
bustedknee
Curmudgeon

Slow Down!

Well, its my biggest problem.
Old 01-28-2013, 19:46   #11
OuttaHand

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARDG View Post
Are you sure??

Welcome aboard.
I burned about 10 gallons of AV gas at about $5 / gal. for one event
that makes it a pretty close call.
I appreciate all the excellent advice, everyone. I'll be looking at setting up a pseudo-course at our cabin for some practice.
OuttaHand is offline   Reply With Quote