Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-08-2013, 21:19   #1
ArmoryDoc

Who likes the Exeter Sig Sauer P226R ?

Doing some Sig shopping and I am really liking the Sig lineup. Not a huge fan of rails but I am an afficiando of Sig products. What say you about the current Sig P226 railed guns ? I used to have a non-railed West German P226 back in the early 90's but like a dummy, sold it. Todays gun a solid buy ?
ArmoryDoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 21:23   #2
Tmoney33

I picked up a Sig P226 Scorpion a couple weeks ago. Love it. The SRT trigger is very nice. I would check summitgunbroker.com as Mark got some more Sigs in and his prices can't be beat.
Old 02-08-2013, 21:28   #3
mr00jimbo

I think that a lot of people will say they prefer the West German model. My German model Sig had an excellent trigger and workmanship. However, I just paid full retail for an MK25, which seems to be getting excellent reviews. I know it's gimmicky and I usually fault Sig for its gimmicks, but I believe people are generally happy with their P226R made in NH.

I voted with my wallet for a UU-serial number Sig P226R.
Some people will claim to only like the German ones.
Old 02-08-2013, 21:54   #4
ArmoryDoc

Looks like a lot of online reviews in favor in the newer ones. There are some obvious differences visually from the older West German models. I handled a UU model today and it felt really great.
Old 02-08-2013, 22:05   #5
bac1023

They aren't for me, but are solid guns.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 22:10   #6
ArmoryDoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
They aren't for me, but are solid guns.
Just curious, what do you not like about them ? The rails ? I know you aren't a rail guy.
Old 02-08-2013, 22:11   #7
itisbruno
CLM Number 103
Devious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr00jimbo View Post
I think that a lot of people will say they prefer the West German model. My German model Sig had an excellent trigger and workmanship. However, I just paid full retail for an MK25, which seems to be getting excellent reviews. I know it's gimmicky and I usually fault Sig for its gimmicks, but I believe people are generally happy with their P226R made in NH.

I voted with my wallet for a UU-serial number Sig P226R.
Some people will claim to only like the German ones.
How you like the MK25?

I'm not a rail guy, so I'll stick with my W. German friends.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
daily to give food for animals in a shelter or sanctuary...for FREE

Last edited by itisbruno; 02-08-2013 at 22:16..
itisbruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 22:14   #8
crazymoose
Nonentity

Most of their new models seem geared toward pimps and mall ninjas, but the classic guns are still pretty decent, if overpriced. SIG seems to be slowly getting the QC bugs worked out from the drastic cost-cutting measures put into place when Cohen took over.

Doubt is an unpleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. Voltaire
crazymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 22:40   #9
Rinspeed
JAFO

I don't have much use for rails and definitely prefer the older Sigs.

You run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking, racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but you’re older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death…
Rinspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 22:54   #10
HKLovingIT
Resident Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymoose View Post
Most of their new models seem geared toward pimps and mall ninjas, but the classic guns are still pretty decent, if overpriced. SIG seems to be slowly getting the QC bugs worked out from the drastic cost-cutting measures put into place when Cohen took over.

They sure do make a right purdy pimp gun these days. Then there are the diamond plate models. That really had me scratching my head.

кто пукнул здесь?
Nescio, sed foetet.

Last edited by HKLovingIT; 02-08-2013 at 22:55..
HKLovingIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 23:37   #11
ArmoryDoc

Yeah, the Diamond Plate version is about ridiculous.
Old 02-09-2013, 00:02   #12
wolf19r
Problem Solved!

Send a message via AIM to wolf19r
I bought a P226 navy not the new mk25 model last year and its a nice quality and shoots great. I dont mind the rail on it and I picked it up for $650 or 700 I dont remember brand new with the 3 15 round mags.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 02-09-2013, 07:35   #13
willieH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmoryDoc View Post
Doing some Sig shopping and I am really liking the Sig lineup. Not a huge fan of rails but I am an afficiando of Sig products. What say you about the current Sig P226 railed guns ? I used to have a non-railed West German P226 back in the early 90's but like a dummy, sold it. Todays gun a solid buy ?

Is the German stamped/folded internal extractor slide different from the milled American external extractor slide? Yes.
Is the stamped steel slide more prone to rust? Yes
Have there been problems with internal extractor on German slides? Yes
Have there been problems with the early model external extractors? Yes
Have there been reported cracking in P226 1986-7 modified "mud rail" models? Yes
Is the milled stainless steel slide stronger than the stamped slide? Yes.
Do the German have a longer hammer spring and stacking DA trigger pull? Yes.
Do some feel that American quality standards are lacking? Yes

My point: there are no perfect machines or manufacturers and design/production/QA faults will be identified. However, in my experience with my Sigs-- their performance has been flawless and I have been able to achieve better accuracy with the P226 and P220.

Do I think the current P226 a solid buy? Yes
Will I change my opinion after 10,000 rounds? Maybe.
Does the company stand behind it product? Yes
Will I buy another Sig? Yes-I'm interested in a P227.

General Firearms Forum

Last edited by willieH; 02-09-2013 at 12:41..
willieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:08   #14
G26S239
NRA Patron

My P229R 40 is just about 7.5 years old. Runs great and accurate. My P229 9mm Tutone is 6 months newer without the rail and likewise is accurate and reliable. As willieH pointed out the good old days when all Sigs were perfect is a myth. All of my Sigs, 5 that I still own and 3 that I don't, were 1998 to 2008 manufacture and all have been trouble free.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:56   #15
Bruce M

If I wanted another P226 I would seriously consider these http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1470594
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:33   #16
willieH

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymoose View Post
I assume that you disapprove of a company identifying a market niche and gearing their products to fulfill that need. I've seen lots of smaller guns & pink grips that various makers are offering to appeal to a growing group of women seeking firearms.

When you say "overpriced" are you speaking of production cost vs sticker or in comparison to other pistols? The most overpriced popular guns are Glocks- actual manufacturing costs to sales price.

When Ron Cohen joined Sigarms Inc. in 2004, the company was in poor financial shape and close to bankruptcy. The "drastic cost-cutting measures" and mass firings of upper management was essential to revitalizing a failing company. Under Cohen's leadership along with the new team he encouraged innovation and flexibility to quickly bring new products to the market. These "Rainbow" and "Diamond Plate" pistols may appeal to a different market segment than traditional gun people, but efforts to capture new groups of firearm enthusiast is part of Sig's customer driven vision. A look at Sig's discontinued products page tells you that not all of their ideas were successful.

Since Cohen, Sig Sauer Inc., has grown over four times and consolidated the (previously outsourced) engineering and manufacturing functions in Exeter, New Hampshire. When one in three LE professionals in the USA uses a Sig, then the reputation for reliability must be valid.
willieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:52   #17
hoghunter82
FL Glocker #182

Very well written. I need to dip my foot in the Sig pool one day. Never owned one but have been close many times.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
hoghunter82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 14:01   #18
Beretta92guy

im a long-time sig fan...but one thing i DON'T like are the new "skinny" triggers they put on all of them now.....
Beretta92guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 15:42   #19
MarcDW
MDW Guns

While the management and CS of "SIG what ever US" does not deserve any respect, the P226 in any form is a good gun.
for current inventory
MarcDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 17:38   #20
collim1
Shower Time!

I would still buy a new production Sig. My 2010 model P220R has proven itself to be a real trooper. Extremely reliable and accurate.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote